No Homo.

#16702 Ennui

Ennui

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3180 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 12:32 AM

baby-talk is just an unintelligible string of cuss words.
But among the jackals, the panthers, the bitch hounds, The apes, the scorpions, the vultures, the serpents, The yelping, howling, growling, crawling monsters, In the filthy menagerie of our vices, There is one more ugly, more wicked, more filthy! Although he makes neither great gestures nor great cries, He would willingly make of the earth a shambles And, in a yawn, swallow the world; He is Ennui! — His eye watery as though with tears, He dreams of scaffolds as he smokes his hookah pipe. You know him reader, that refined monster, — Hypocritish reader, — my fellow, — my brother!

#16703 undo

undo

future thug

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8970 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 12:59 AM

Bought a brand new book, read it in a few hours, and then still in brand new shape, I stuck it in an envelope and dropped it off at the library so they could add it to their stacks. Inside the envelope was an anonymous note, declaring my intention for them to add it to their collection and my reasons for doing so. It was in fine condition, brand new, perfect spine, beautiful corners, no smudges or fingerprints. Library has volumes 1-6 of this series, which I borrowed and enjoyed immensely. So on my own I purchased, read, and then donated volume 7 to them, figuring they'd be pleased as punch to have it for free -- having volumes 1 through 6, surely they were planning on acquiring this one anyway -- and that it would be processed and shelved in a matter of days. Four weeks later, it's still not in their catalog, not even in a "currently processing/on the way" status. I bet they just threw it in the trash or sent it to the Salvation Army. Those clueless fucks! Random act of kindness for the season wasted.

#16704 ladytron: the tv series

ladytron: the tv series

CHIRP CHIRP CHIRP CHIRP CHIRP CHIRP

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3097 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 01:06 AM

wtf why is there no plague bringer on deej's list. thats my favorite burger but you can only eat it if you do not plan on interacting with people for the rest of the day. i havent been able to eat it in months and its killing me.
[size=1][/size]

#16705 BRANDON BOYD FROM INCUBUS

BRANDON BOYD FROM INCUBUS

all sorts of chill

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5776 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 01:10 AM

Bought a brand new book, read it in a few hours, and then still in brand new shape, I stuck it in an envelope and dropped it off at the library so they could add it to their stacks.

Inside the envelope was an anonymous note, declaring my intention for them to add it to their collection and my reasons for doing so. It was in fine condition, brand new, perfect spine, beautiful corners, no smudges or fingerprints.

Library has volumes 1-6 of this series, which I borrowed and enjoyed immensely. So on my own I purchased, read, and then donated volume 7 to them, figuring they'd be pleased as punch to have it for free -- having volumes 1 through 6, surely they were planning on acquiring this one anyway -- and that it would be processed and shelved in a matter of days.

Four weeks later, it's still not in their catalog, not even in a "currently processing/on the way" status. I bet they just threw it in the trash or sent it to the Salvation Army. Those clueless fucks! Random act of kindness for the season wasted.

i work in a library and it sometimes takes them 3-4 months to process books, if that makes you feel any better

i'm wondering if you gave them vol. 7 of the dark tower series though, they might have thrown it away out of spite
shit sucked

#16706 undo

undo

future thug

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8970 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 01:21 AM

I worked in a library before, too. Maybe we just sucked and didn't have anything important to do but process the slow trickle of books we were able to acquire, but it seemed like the turnaround time for them was pretty quick. I guess I'll wait a month or two and check again. By then they'll probably forget that they ever got it and just order another one.

#16707 Slackmo

Slackmo

devil's avocado

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13999 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 01:25 AM

maybe they're too busy engraving the plaque in your honor to get back to you.
Someone Still Loves You Pants McJickson

#16708 6ome 9irl

6ome 9irl

Freaky styley

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7584 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 01:26 AM

Someone probably just added it to their own collection.

#16709 BRANDON BOYD FROM INCUBUS

BRANDON BOYD FROM INCUBUS

all sorts of chill

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5776 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 01:51 AM

i guess i do work in a library that circulates 4.3 million books, but they also have a huge staff to compensate. all i know is that whenever i go into the acquisitions department on my courier run, there is a cart labeled "gifts" with a bunch of stuff on it, from dvds to newer novels to veterinary journals that gets cleared off and processed maybe once a month. i think it's one of the lowest priorities for them, right up there with e-reserves. you probably should have just gone in there and handed it to them in person and then gone in and checked up on it every 2-3 days like an 80 year old man until it got processed.

#16710 _____________

din da da...

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13368 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 02:20 AM

My 11 month-old niece, all babbly and adorable. :wub:

:lol:

#16711 Rob Gordon

Rob Gordon

sha la la, man

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8673 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 04:58 AM

Had a dream last night...Forgo was in it, though I've never met her...and she was nice. There was another Sombie or two but can't remember who or anything.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#16712 Bobzilla

Bobzilla

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1746 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 05:01 AM

Seeing that was a great way to start my day. Thanks!
Last
=====================================================================
History shows again and again how nature points out the folly of man

#16713 sKinnY

sKinnY

Maître D'

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9439 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 06:51 AM

she seems to speak perfect Canadian.

pretty gosh darn cute though.

"what kind of moe cop doesn't give her the old suck on my balls warning?

"Posted Image

#16714 feisty

feisty

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2627 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 06:52 AM

I used to work at a public library. Donations rarely made it into the collection--they usually got put with all the other thousands of well-meaning donations for the next book sale

#16715 Damo Suzuki

Damo Suzuki

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3715 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 10:20 AM

There will never be a time when I am not outraged at the amount of money the government steals from me every pay period.

This government is broken.
"One can't love man without hating most of the creatures who pretend to bear his name."

#16716 Waylon

Waylon

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4390 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 10:24 AM

There will never be a time when I am not outraged at the amount of money the government steals from me every pay period.

This government is broken.

If they can live without Undo's book, they can certainly do without my withholding.

Still waiting for Slackmo to delete this thread.

#16717 Damo Suzuki

Damo Suzuki

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3715 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 10:30 AM

I am considering changing my dependents to 2 when I get overtime, then changing it back to 0. The cut the Feds take is absolutely outrageous. Who told these people they were entitled to the sweat of my brow? Goddamnit, I did not vote that way. I am really pissed about the economic situation in this country.
"One can't love man without hating most of the creatures who pretend to bear his name."

#16718 feisty

feisty

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2627 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 10:33 AM

In July the charity, which provides prosthetic limbs and ongoing support to
children in developing countries who have limb disabilities, began seeking
musically inclined hedge fund industry professionals to play at the fund-raiser.
To date, bands from at least seven firms - Moore Capital Management LLC;
Rohatyn Group; Lazard Asset Management; Paloma Partners LLC, Greenwich, Conn.;
RiskMetrics Group Inc.; SEI Investments Co., Oaks, Pa.; and Octagon Asset
Management LLC have agreed to play.

#16719 Kate

Kate

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1510 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 11:31 AM

Just got the good news. My uncle, who had a double lung transplant in April, was doing great, then not doing great, has turned a corner. He's going to be fine. Should be discharged (again) by the end of the week. Such a sense of relief.

#16720 _____________

din da da...

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13368 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 11:41 AM

they can replace lungs now? crazy. good news for you!