3198 replies to this topic

#1 pong

pong

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9208 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 01:07 PM

Simakos burns this disc for me. I put it on. It kicks major ass. That's about it. Short rocking songs that just jam out. Anybody else diggin' this shit?

The chorus on Oh, It's such a shame is so kick ass. The sound on the end of this song is so boss, it reminds of New Order or something.

The guitar sound on this album rocks too.

This is my favorite new album and I think I'll listen to it extensively.

#2 biggie mcsmalls

biggie mcsmalls

ok

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13266 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 01:10 PM

I love this record, too. "The chorus on Oh, It's such a shame is so kick ass." This song amazes me. It's like three different songs in one. The verses, chorus, and outro are all so cool and unique, but it works as a whole in about three minutes. Brilliant record. Like a distillation of punk/new wave in one nice and neat power poppy package. Is Alan still refusing to listen to this? I want to see this kid play at the Mutiny.

#3 pong

pong

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9208 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 01:12 PM

I love this record, too.

"The chorus on Oh, It's such a shame is so kick ass."

This song amazes me. It's like three different songs in one. The verses, chorus, and outro are all so cool and unique, but it works as a whole in about three minutes.

Brilliant record. Like a distillation of punk/new wave in one nice and neat power poppy package.

Is Alan still refusing to listen to this?

I want to see this kid play at the Mutiny.

You have to be fucking kiddinng me about the Mutiny. Is he going to be there? I will go with you and buy you beer all night if that's true.

"This song amazes me. It's like three different songs in one. The verses, chorus, and outro are all so cool and unique, but it works as a whole in about three minutes."

FUCKING WORD

#4 biggie mcsmalls

biggie mcsmalls

ok

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13266 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 01:16 PM

You have to be fucking kiddinng me about the Mutiny. Is he going to be there? I will go with you and buy you beer all night if that's true.

No, he's not playing there, it's just where I would love to see him play in an ideal world.

#5 Burz

Burz

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1770 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 01:16 PM

Yeah, terrific album. I'm really excited to see him open for Deerhunter next month. Hopefully he'll play the whole album.

#6 pong

pong

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9208 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 01:19 PM

Yeah, terrific album. I'm really excited to see him open for Deerhunter next month. Hopefully he'll play the whole album.

WHere and when is this bloody motherfucker going to be playing. I am ignorant, but I will be there if possible.

#7 _____________

din da da...

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13368 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 01:26 PM

is that in chicago?

#8 Burz

Burz

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1770 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 01:28 PM

I'm in Atlanta. He's playing here May 5th. AFAIK it's his only US show before his European tour starts on the 16th.

#9 biggie mcsmalls

biggie mcsmalls

ok

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13266 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 01:28 PM

Jay Reatard is on tour in Europe next month. Burzum lives in Atlanta, though, right? edit: What Burzum said. LOL.

#10 pong

pong

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9208 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 01:30 PM

"It's so much easier when you don't even care!" "All these places mean nothing to me!"

My Shadow sounds un-fuckingly sonicly beautiful.

This is the best album I've heard in a long, long time.

Simakos: this is a debut?

EDIT:

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Jay_Reatard

#11 Burz

Burz

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1770 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 01:31 PM

also two new releases coming soon (via Jay's myspace page):

Posted Image
First up is the In the Red Records 12" Night of Broken Glass

4 songs on this 12" ep .This will be available on via www.intheredrecords.com / www.shatteredrecords.net or on my merch table. Expect a different sound than Blood Visions.. Added Keyboards this time around!!

Posted Image
Next I got a new "semi-acoustic" pop single coming out on Goner Records

Two songs on this one "I Know A Place" and a Go-Betweens cover "Dont Let Him Comeback. Should be available in early May..

#12 biggie mcsmalls

biggie mcsmalls

ok

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13266 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 01:32 PM

Simakos (and anybody else, for that matter): Please use this thread to post entire Jay Reatard discography to the SOMB. Thanks.

#13 _____________

din da da...

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13368 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 05:19 PM

also two new releases coming soon (via Jay's myspace page):

Posted Image
First up is the In the Red Records 12" Night of Broken Glass

4 songs on this 12" ep .This will be available on via www.intheredrecords.com / www.shatteredrecords.net or on my merch table. Expect a different sound than Blood Visions.. Added Keyboards this time around!!

Posted Image
Next I got a new "semi-acoustic" pop single coming out on Goner Records

Two songs on this one "I Know A Place" and a Go-Betweens cover "Dont Let Him Comeback. Should be available in early May..

that is some exciting shit right there!

biggie, i will up some stuff by all his other bands: lost sounds, angry angles, and the reatards tonite.

upping lost sounds now, it's got lots of keyboards.

#14 _____________

din da da...

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13368 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 05:45 PM

Jay Reatard ...

1. is in the Reatards.
2. was in Eunuchs.
3. is in the New Memphis Legs.
4. recorded (together with Tony Giglio) the debut album by The Persuaders.
5. is in The Lost Sounds.
6. was in one-off band Bad Times.
7. is/was (?) in the CC Riders.
8. is in the Final Solutions.
9. is in Destruction Unit.
10. is playing bass with The Oscars.
11. is in Nervous Patterns.
12. appears as "Jay Lindsey" on Black Sunday's debut: Tronic Blanc LP/CD (Dirtnap Records, 2005, ZZZ-57).
13. is in Angry Angles.

LOST SOUNDS

2004 / In The Red Records
Posted Image

1. There's Nothing
2. Destructo Comet
3. I Get Nervous
4. Clones Don't Love
5. I Sit I Watch I Wait
6. Ophelia
7. You're Looking Glass
8. Let's Get Sick
9. And You Dance?
10. We're Just Living
11. Mechanical Feelings
12. Bombs Over M.O.M.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/9mt3tp

AMG:

Led by Jay Jay (akaJay Reatard of the Reatards) and Alicja Trout (Clears, River City Tanlines), Memphis' Lost Sounds are a glorious mess of punk rock artsiness gone awry in all the right places. Their 2004 In the Red effort, simply titled Lost Sounds, is a punk rock dance party guaranteed to merrily demolish every piece of furniture in the room. But this paranoid rampage is a far cry from the faux-sexy bass'n'drum din pumped out by the likes of Death from Above 1979. "Those things they put inside me/ You know they make me nervous," wails Jay through a cacophonous din of twitchy surf guitars and stuttering keyboards. Elsewhere the band declares that the end of the world is, "worth a laugh." And you get the feeling they mean it.

With a pedigree that includes some of the most raucous noise outfits to emerge from the Memphis scene, the Lost Sounds avoid the traps of by-the-numbers punk or southern-flavored garage rock and instead offer up a sound that is more akin to savage disco. That being said, their adventurous sonic attack is bold and sometimes abrasive. Ample melodies are buried in the din for anyone brave enough to sift through the noise to find them. A danceable disaster, the band's chaotic post-apocalyptic new wave sound explodes from the speakers with a fuzzed-out fury that borders on collapse. Hard to categorize, the sound is something akin to Devo, Liars, Rocket from the Tombs, and the Pixies duking it out to decide who's crazier. Obnoxiously fun, the band is a likely bit of an acquired taste for most.

Posted Image

#15 Pavement Ist Rad

Pavement Ist Rad

What would the Melvins say?

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13222 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 05:59 PM

Blood Visions = one of the greatest albums of all time.
Posted Image

Damo Suzuki: So, um, yeah. Getting older isn't as bad as it sounds. Better than being young & poor (DjDrake) or young & slutty (SG) or young, poor and slutty (Paves); am I right?

Alright, my friends. It's time for another solid little rock jam

#16 _____________

din da da...

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13368 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 06:03 PM

ANGRY ANGLES

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Things Are Moving 7" (Shattered Records, 2005, SR-006)
1st press: black vinyl
1. Things Are Moving
2. Black Hole
3. Stab You Dead
4. You Call It Love
Crowds 7" (P.Trash Records, 2005, P.TRASH 20)
1. Crowds
2. She's Dead
3. Blockhead
Apparent-Transparent 7" (Plastic Idol Records, 2006, PIR-016)
1st pressing: yellow vinyl
2nd pressing: green vinyl
1. Apparent-Transparent
2. You Fell In
3. The 15th
http://www.sendspace.com/file/0hz4gb

Posted Image

#17 biggie mcsmalls

biggie mcsmalls

ok

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13266 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 07:24 PM

that is some exciting shit right there!

I like the JCM poses. I'm not joking, either.

biggie, i will up some stuff by all his other bands: lost sounds, angry angles, and the reatards tonite.

Thanks, man. Am d/ling now.

#18 r.i.p.

r.i.p.

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2460 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 07:26 PM

I absolutely love Blood Visions. It destroys. And it reminds me of the "bloody diapers" bit from Season 4 of "Mr. Show." Thanks for the heads up on his new singles. Also slept on, while we're talking In The Red Records: The King Khan & BBQ Show. Amazing band.

#19 Pavement Ist Rad

Pavement Ist Rad

What would the Melvins say?

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13222 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 07:29 PM

This review I wrote a few months ago pretty much sums up my feelings about this album.

Seriously, everybody who is currently following music needs to know about this album. We, the music fans of 2007, have a genuine classic on our hands.
Posted Image

Damo Suzuki: So, um, yeah. Getting older isn't as bad as it sounds. Better than being young & poor (DjDrake) or young & slutty (SG) or young, poor and slutty (Paves); am I right?

Alright, my friends. It's time for another solid little rock jam

#20 Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ

Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9457 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 07:33 PM

Listening to it for the first time, it's ok. I'll pay more attention after I listen to Yank Crime. This board is awesome because it reminds me of stuff I never think about listening to, such as the aforementioned.
Aren't there any girls out their who like good music? I need to and want to meet them. My favorite bands are Overkill River, The Nife, Songs:Ohio, and Nuetral Milk Hotel. Please let me know if your into indy music and like to go to show's and drink beer's and makeout.