3198 replies to this topic

#1701 Hewletts Daughter

Hewletts Daughter

SING! CAPTAIN!

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9713 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 03:45 AM

Overall, very awesome show. The crowd was the most energetic they've ever been at a Jay show, for sure. And the two new song played back to back really were good. I mean, odds are they will sound fuller on record, but the live versions definitely left something to look forward to.

-nice to see all the usual Sombies and to meet a few new ones: Andyroo, Dirty Hippie, who else? i missed Hewlet's Daughter somehow...

Its more like I missed you. I said my "yo's" to Gena and Yancy and Kyle before retreating prior to Jay's set to my bro's on the other end of Reggies.

- the kiddies slamming up front like it was 1986 was kind of adorable

That's also part of the reason I missed you. Within the second song of the set, my friend pushed me in to that madness. It was nice to get back in to a pit and just thrash around with people, again. I hadn't done it in over a year (last time I think was at a Reel Big Fish show at U of I....lol@me). But yeah, when he busted out "Always Wanting More," my one roommate who'd never been in anything like that before just ran in and started going nuts. It was a sight to see, for sure.

Overall, though, really good show. Made at least one if not two new Jay fans out of friends who will be at his next show undoubtedly. The other two friends who were newbies to Jay enjoyed the show, but said they probably won't be back for his next show. Such is life.

Oh, and Reggies is an awesome place. Finding a cab back after the show sucked three dicks, though. Seriously, one cabbie stopped for us only to say he wouldn't take us back. Huge dickface that guy was.
I've got dials and knobs soft to the touch

#1702 pigfuck

pigfuck

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1853 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 04:23 AM

I'm real jealous of you guys. Honestly, I think this tour's gonna' be last before Jay blows up HUGE. Which is fucking great, don't get me wrong, just that the small venues will go the way of the buffalo. His only Bay Area date as of right now is opening for the Black Keys at the Warfield, a venue that's great for observation, but sucks the energy out of bands. Anyway, were the Matador 7"s available at this show?
make it three yards, motherfucker, and we'll have an automobile race

#1703 mpshows.com

mpshows.com

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 05:11 AM

- set time 31:34 (a new record/kmac was official time keeper)
- power trio! they lost their guitarist and didn't replace him...
- "See Saw" fucking rules
- i think the band is slowing down a wee bit, thank god.
- Reggie's is a really great venue, cheap beers, good site lines everywhere, they have a sloped floor, they let you go outside to smoke, and they even sell PIZZA PUFFS behind the bar (i didn't by one)
-nice to see all the usual Sombies and to meet a few new ones: Andyroo, Dirty Hippie, who else? i missed Hewlet's Daughter somehow...
- drummer looks like Garth from Wayne's World
- Flying V bass guitar!
- the kiddies slamming up front like it was 1986 was kind of adorable, except for this one asshole i kept noticing, he just kept pushing people in the back. that's not how you are supposed to "dance" asshole.
- lovely neighborhood

that's all i got...

emm...pizza puffs...
listening to: Dukes of Stratosphere, Sleep Needle, Cro-Mags, Patsy Cline, Redd Kross, Garden Variety, The The

#1704 tanchucks

tanchucks

Lurker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 86 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 06:15 AM

great set, great show, this was my first time at reggies and it sounded fantastic. i spent about 9 minutes on the outside of that pit until i realized i wasn't 19 anymore and then retreated to the back. it may be my sucker punch, but i just love gibson flying V's on stage.

#1705 without_opinion

without_opinion

Minister of Health

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5575 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 08:06 AM

- drummer looks like Garth from Wayne's World
- Flying V bass guitar!

garth & bruce vilanch, maybe.

dirty hippie, i saw you but didn't get a chance to say hi.

the bass player...i don't know. it's like you're so intrigued by the sight of him that you forget there's something more interesting on stage and you keep watching him. he's kinda like the puppy bowl.

good show.
Music Is My Girlfriend (click for playlists) -- my brother's weekly radio show (new time!), Mondays, 2pm CST, out of Crested Butte, CO. Hear it at KBUT fm online

#1706 nagode

nagode

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1321 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 11:33 AM

show was ok...i was standing outside of the pit the whole show....some jerk off in a long striped overcoat and bowl hat as soon as the first chord was hit ran by the guy next to me and inexplicably just punched the beer out of the guys hand...then later on in the set some jerkoff did the same to me as i was trying to cautiously take a sip of beer when the pit settled down and he cut my hand...i then proceeded to follow him in the pit and push his ass to the ground...damn it are we all 16 again..geez... have to say though watching the pit most of the kids had good pit ediquette picking up kids and looking for this one guys glasses who kept falling off...it was really just that one fucker with the long rainbow jacket...then there was the one guy who kept skipping around twirling his finger in the air...that was pretty gay... as for the actual show it was ok...guitar sound wasnt near as full as of course theyre missing a guitar player...overall got my 12 bucks worth or whatever it was...
"If you're young and not liberal, you have no heart. If you're old and not conservative, you have no mind."

-Winston Churchill

Posted Image

#1707 heinstein

heinstein

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 01:38 PM

Great show, I was trapped in the pit for the entire show, so I woke up this morning to my body covered with bruises. Yeah, long rainbow jacket guy was lame. So were the fat hipster chicks who insisted standing in front and were complaining and looking at people with disgust. Don't go to a Jay Reatard show and stand in the front if you don't want people to push you. After the set, we went up front and checked out his gear. He gets that awesome distortion tone from a Danelectro Fabtone, either Overdrive or Distortion. That is like, a 20 dollar pedal. Cheapest shit ever. And it's made out of plastic. But Jay made it sound godlike.

#1708 Bhickman

Bhickman

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5085 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 02:28 PM

I'm finally checking this guy out. I'll check back in later.
Rock & Roll Ghost Message Board

"No one on the corner has swagga like us"

#1709 Wolfgang

Wolfgang

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3427 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 02:30 PM

Good to see all the regular sombies, met Alan last night, good guy. Saw HD from across the room then kmac rubbed my head for him, does that make sense? Whatever. Reggie's is fucking awesome. The sound in there is perfect and I'm lovin' the sloped floor. I'm a tall guy so I can see most of the time but the sloped has got to be great for the shorties out there. Place was packed though, any word on a sell out? mpshows? I thought the show was pretty kick ass too, especially for the first date on the tour. I almost want to buy a ticket to the Riv just to see the reaction of the Black Keys' fans to all the flying-V noise coming from the stage. But I also like the Black Keys so I'd like to go to the show anyway, hopefully they'll move it to the Vic.

its like a group of nerds just get together to self indulge their self, just like sound opinions message board.

#1710 mpshows.com

mpshows.com

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 02:38 PM

just short of being sold out.
Posted Image
listening to: Dukes of Stratosphere, Sleep Needle, Cro-Mags, Patsy Cline, Redd Kross, Garden Variety, The The

#1711 mpshows.com

mpshows.com

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 02:45 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image

#1712 mpshows.com

mpshows.com

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 02:57 PM

Posted Image

#1713 nagode

nagode

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1321 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 03:42 PM

Great show, I was trapped in the pit for the . So were the fat hipster chicks who insisted standing in front and were complaining and looking at people with disgust. Don't go to a Jay Reatard show and stand in the front if you don't want people to push you.

speaking of fat chicks...some dude got pushed back in to me from the pit and made me spill my beer...i promptly pushed the shit out of him and he flew into to others who got knocked down with her....then when he got up i realized he was a she and felt kind of bad...but quickly got over it...

and as far being able to stand up close and expecting not to get pushed into all night and being able to watch a show and have a drink is that big of a deal...ive seen plenty of jay vids where kids are pretty civil and not acting like teenagers all over again...

hes not that punk rock...
"If you're young and not liberal, you have no heart. If you're old and not conservative, you have no mind."

-Winston Churchill

Posted Image

#1714 Wolfgang

Wolfgang

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3427 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 03:43 PM

Sweet.

its like a group of nerds just get together to self indulge their self, just like sound opinions message board.

#1715 b*derty

b*derty

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4298 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 05:34 PM

great pics mpshows. now its time to play wheres waldo for those who were at the show.

Posted Image

#1716 Undercooked Sausage

Undercooked Sausage

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13801 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 05:47 PM

i was in that pit for awhile, lol, especially during "hammer i miss you" it was cool to see andyroo again. the best part of the pit though was the one broad and her boyfriend, this chick in the middle was constantly infuriated with all of us and her boy was constantly beating anyone who got near them.
Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#1717 Undercooked Sausage

Undercooked Sausage

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13801 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 05:49 PM

worst thing ever though is it was basically all ages, only checked ID's if you were drinking. Paves could've easily gotten in.
Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#1718 Andyroo

Andyroo

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2317 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 06:09 PM

Sweet show -- have to give the disc another listen soonlike. Good meeting/seeing SOMBies again! It's been a whirlwind month for meeting you guys, ha. I guess that's what happens when I bother to leave the burbs a couple times.

they even sell PIZZA PUFFS behind the bar (i didn't by one)

WTF! Might've been tempted had I known.

#1719 _____________

din da da...

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13368 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 07:40 PM

"the pit" as you guys are referring to it, was really just a cute modern take on "pits" that i saw and was in growing up... yep, i'm gonna be that guy, that oldster remembering when punk shows used to cost a nickle and when we "slammed" or "moshed" or whatever it was in the freezing cold and we couldn't afford socks...

anybody remember when "the pogo" was the new safer alternative to "slamming" at shows?

yep, i'm gonna be that guy. sorry.

#1720 _____________

din da da...

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13368 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 07:59 PM

also want to mention that The Submarine Races were really great. i need to buy that. they were gone from the merch table by the time the show ended... i guess this came out almost 2 years ago...

Posted Image

submarine races - one forward three

<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://fpdownload.ma...ersion=8,0,0,0" width="335" height="28" id="divplaylist"><param name="movie" value="http://www.divshare....Id=3862262-4a2" /><embed src="http://www.divshare....Id=3862262-4a2" width="335" height="28" name="divplaylist" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedi...embed></object>

submarine races - pilgrim shoes
<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://fpdownload.ma...ersion=8,0,0,0" width="335" height="28" id="divplaylist"><param name="movie" value="http://www.divshare....Id=3862263-e8f" /><embed src="http://www.divshare....Id=3862263-e8f" width="335" height="28" name="divplaylist" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedi...embed></object>

submarine races - whats a boy

<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://fpdownload.ma...ersion=8,0,0,0" width="335" height="28" id="divplaylist"><param name="movie" value="http://www.divshare....Id=3862264-854" /><embed src="http://www.divshare....Id=3862264-854" width="335" height="28" name="divplaylist" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedi...embed></object>