#2 boobs

boobs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URkRhFh8pq0

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10251 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 06:23 PM

peace, overpriced d-bags
The one who put the satin on your panties.

#3 Nick

Nick

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6011 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 07:20 PM

What the fuck? This is the best music store in Chicago.

#4 typical pickle conflicts

typical pickle conflicts

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1943 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 07:53 PM

a great place to poke around & buy $10 mean girls. i'll pour one out
Posted Image

#5 cerebralcaustic

cerebralcaustic

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3279 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 09:24 PM

WTF? The last place in Chicago with a huge selection, plus they usually had decent prices on most new releases. It's always packed with tourists--does that just mean no one buys anything? Or that rent is just that fucking expensive? And I'll be the first to say it: Clearance sale?

#6 yancy

yancy

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20240 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 10:04 PM

Holy shit. One less place to buy vinyl in Chicago. I gotta get down there soon.

#7 boobs

boobs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URkRhFh8pq0

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10251 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 10:38 PM

all i know is that this shit was wayy worse than tower. and every rap cd cost 18.99
The one who put the satin on your panties.

#8 ☼♥!

☼♥!

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 10:53 PM

all i know is that this shit was wayy worse than tower. and every rap cd cost 18.99

Well, besides the things that were on shelves at the ends of aisles, everything is 18.99 & up... Still though, it will be missed, I'm going to be forced to go to Best Buy/Circuit City and rely more heavily on the net...
hi.

#9 6ome 9irl

6ome 9irl

Freaky styley

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7584 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 11:23 PM

This is not cool. I don't care if it's not the perfect record store, or if Tower wasn't either. It was still a place to buy shit on the spot with a better selection than Best Buy.

#10 Tracy Jacks

Tracy Jacks

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1387 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 11:34 PM

Now for dozens of posts about how the Mega Virginstore is running going out of business sales, just like Tower thread, where they cut prices by 30% on CDs that they have overpriced by 100%. Sweet!

#11 no magnets

no magnets

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 12:28 AM

oh no! i was never going to buy a lot there, but those $10 are good and i will be plowing through them until this store is done.

#12 birdistheword

birdistheword

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2258 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 12:50 AM

Amazon.com made that store obsolete for me. Seriously, competitive prices AND no taxes AND free shipping after $25 or so...it's nice to browse at places like Virgin, or see an occasional promotional show (remember Paul Westerberg about 5 years ago?) but I never put a lot of $$$ into that place.

#13 Pavement Ist Rad

Pavement Ist Rad

What would the Melvins say?

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13222 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 12:50 AM

They had Luomo and Big Black, which is more than you can say about, oh, any major music store.

And hell, there was some cool shit in the vinyl section! Knife singles, Beat Happening's You Turn Me On, Black Flag, Yerself Is Steam... fucking tragic and unwarranted.

But still, way overpriced. I paid 18.99 for a copy of Music For 18 Musicians, such bullshit. I don't know if I've paid that much for a single disc CD since then.
Posted Image

Damo Suzuki: So, um, yeah. Getting older isn't as bad as it sounds. Better than being young & poor (DjDrake) or young & slutty (SG) or young, poor and slutty (Paves); am I right?

Alright, my friends. It's time for another solid little rock jam

#14 velocity

velocity

Chanel No. ♪♫

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10085 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 12:56 AM

I've never bought anything @ Virgin--too spendy, and the atmosphere is too much like Borders. Too bad you guys don't have an Amoeba.

#15 heinstein

heinstein

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 12:59 AM

I got a Serena-Maneesh vinyl for 4 bucks. And a Jim Noir- Tower Of Love for about 4 too. I gotta hit that up during the clearance.

#16 Sid Hartha

Sid Hartha

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4401 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 08:11 AM

Link? Somebody needs to post an article about the death of the CD at this point. :lol: I spent way too much money there anyway, only because it's a block from where I work. Now I'll have to go a little bit out of my way and shop at good record stores instead.

#17 Sid Hartha

Sid Hartha

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4401 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 09:31 AM

Music store to close; make room for clothes

By John Schmeltzer and Eric Benderoff
Tribune staff reporters.
Published May 19, 2007

Virgin Megastore, which opened less than a decade ago at one of the highest-profile intersections on Michigan Avenue, is closing.

The chain, in a statement e-mailed to the Tribune, said that it will close its Chicago and Salt Lake City stores in July. That will bring to seven the number of Virgin outlets that have been shuttered since last year as the music industry undergoes a seismic shift with growing competition from online music sales.

Virgin's Chicago space will be taken by Forever 21, which will open a Forever XXI store in the 40,000-square-foot space, according to Larry Meyer, senior vice president and chief financial officer of the Los Angeles-based clothing chain. It will continue operating a Forever 21 on State Street as well as one in Water Tower Place.

"We view Chicago as a big city where we can have stores in the same general area and satisfy multiple customers," said Meyer, who said the chain hopes to open its new store this fall.

Forever XXI, the name that the 390-store chain uses for its larger stores, offers men's and women's fashions, as well as lingerie, footwear, cosmetics and other accessories.

Opening the larger store will allow it to compete more effectively against other chains like the Swedish fashion retailer H&M, which is located at the north end of Michigan Avenue. Virgin is at the corner of Michigan Avenue and Ohio Street.

Forever 21 has 10 stores in the Chicago area, and H&M has eight.

The closing of the Chicago and Salt Lake Virgin Megastores will leave Virgin with 11 music stores still operating in the U.S. It operates more than 100 Megastores in the United Kingdom.

Chicago employees were told of the plans on Friday.

The London-based store, a unit of the Virgin Group, a UK-based conglomerate owned by Richard Branson, said it "believes that its mission of creating the finest entertainment retail experience in the country is predicated on the quality of its stores rather than the quantity of its locations."

Virgin said it "remains fully committed to entertainment retail and will continue to seek suitable locations in the country in which to operate Virgin Megastores that will meet both the needs of the company and its customers."

Those plans, however, are in contrast to what has happened to other retail music stores.

In December, Tower Records shuttered its stores, joining a host of smaller chains and independent stores that have closed in recent years.

Music sales continue to slide due to still-rampant piracy and consumer complaints that prices for recorded music are too high at a time when digital singles can be bought for 99 cents.

A report released earlier this month from Ipsos Insight, a Chicago market research firm, showed that while 51 percent of U.S. consumers age 12 and up bought a CD in the past 6 months, that's down roughly 15 percent from 2002.

The announcement of the Chicago store's closing came on the same day that Virgin America, another affiliate of the Virgin Group, received approval to offer domestic airline service in the U.S. That will complement the service it already to Europe aboard Virgin Atlantic

#18 Pavement Ist Rad

Pavement Ist Rad

What would the Melvins say?

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13222 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 10:39 AM

FUCK CLOTHING STORES, WHO GIVES A FUCK. This is so obnoxious.
Posted Image

Damo Suzuki: So, um, yeah. Getting older isn't as bad as it sounds. Better than being young & poor (DjDrake) or young & slutty (SG) or young, poor and slutty (Paves); am I right?

Alright, my friends. It's time for another solid little rock jam

#19 yancy

yancy

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20240 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 10:46 AM

Just wait 'til you can download clothes. Then we'll see how those fuckers handle it.

#20 bleach

bleach

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3302 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 11:26 AM

that story sid posted is accompanied (paper edition) with a picture of westerberg from a few yrs ago and it looks like the oddest, most uncomfortable setting to play/see a show.
We go 0 to Dennehy in three seconds or less.