6 replies to this topic

#1 Rob Gordon

Rob Gordon

sha la la, man

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8669 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 12:21 PM

I've talked about this site in other threads in the past but really feel the need to makesure you all know about it. This site has been around for a number of years.

What it is is an archive of old top 40 radio broadcasts. Some are simply airchecks, meaning the tape would stop once the DJ turned his mic off, while others are full broadcasts with songs and commercials in their entirety.

The archive naturally grows over the years because people find old reel to reel's or what not at flea markets and discover old radio broadcasts on them.

For those that never experienced 60 - 70's AM top 40 radio it should be ear opening. For those that were there it's an awesome blast from the past. There's a large Chicago collection as well as pieces from every town you can imagine.

It used to be free but now costs around $12 a year. Well worth it my book.

Just an FYI if you've never checked it out.

REEL RADIO

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#2 Rob Gordon

Rob Gordon

sha la la, man

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8669 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 01:36 PM

kinda surprised I've had no comments or anything on this thread?! Your loss.

#3 Rob Gordon

Rob Gordon

sha la la, man

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8669 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 08:16 AM

OK...I'm listening to this again. I really find it perplexing that no one has even made a comment about this here site. OK, sure it costs about 15 bucks for the year. Just look up Chicago or whatever town you grew up in in the search bar. See how many audio exhibits there are. I read a Pete Townsend interview where he talked about the site and how he loves to listen. Right now I'm diggin' the top entry on the chart this week, 42 minutes of Casey Kasem American Top 40 from WCFL Chicago September 2, 1972. Just tryin' to turn you on to something very cool. No street teaming here.

#4 Agrimorfee

Agrimorfee

Too nice for his own good

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13311 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 08:20 AM

Probably no responses here because it costs money. Its historical value is undeniable, I'll grant you that.

"Is everyone on here just an act sometimes?"--Hummingbird

Read all of my stupid song parodies here. Latest song improved/ruined: "No More Mr. Nice Guy" by Alice Cooper.

Download all of my alleged music free through the remainder of May at www.soundclick.com/agrimorfee

Also jabbering about music and movies at www.rateyourmusic.com

#5 Rob Gordon

Rob Gordon

sha la la, man

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8669 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 08:22 AM

Probably no responses here because it costs money. Its historical value is undeniable, I'll grant you that.

yeah, I know that's part of it. but it's about one CD. Well worth it IMO.

#6 54cermak

54cermak

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3007 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 08:34 AM

Can these be put on your ipod or is it streaming only? Is there alot of Cleveland stuff on there?

#7 Rob Gordon

Rob Gordon

sha la la, man

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8669 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 08:44 AM

Can these be put on your ipod or is it streaming only? Is there alot of Cleveland stuff on there?

No. streaming only.
Yeah, good amount of Cleveland stuff. Just do Cleveland in the search bar. There's a 60 minute Mad Daddy Myers from the late 50's that is just crazy. He was who Ghoulardi was imitating.

Still, there's so many exhibits from all over. One of the best top 40 jocks of all time The Real Don Steele from LA is well represented.