244 replies to this topic

#1 MattDrufke

MattDrufke

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2891 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 08:17 AM

All right, here's the short of it: I'm looking to get onstage and tell some jokes at an amateur night, but a google search trying to find comedy clubs has not been very successful (completely fucking frustrating, exactly: plenty of listings for comics who have been in amateur nights, or strip club amateur nights-which you don't want to see me in). I live in the far NW burbs, so something around St. Charles/Schaumburg/Geneva would be preferred, though I would travel to somewhere like Naperville. Are there any comedy clubs around you guys that have amateur nights?

www,twitter.com/ihatemattdrufke

www.facebook.com/mattdrufke

Listen to my album, This Is Supposed To Be Fun, on Spotify, or buy it on any of the major online music services.

#2 sKinnY

sKinnY

Maître D'

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9439 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 08:22 AM

isn't there a Zanies in St. Chuck? i know beat kitchen here in the city has a comedy night once a week or something...that's all i got.

"what kind of moe cop doesn't give her the old suck on my balls warning?

"Posted Image

#3 theremin

theremin

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6370 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 09:49 AM

one boarder here has performed at the amateur night here in vernon hills.

#4 bleach

bleach

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3302 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 10:54 AM

for those of us that do not live in bfe hows about layin down some material.
We go 0 to Dennehy in three seconds or less.

#5 superhersh2002

superhersh2002

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 05:38 PM

All right, here's the short of it: I'm looking to get onstage and tell some jokes at an amateur night, but a google search trying to find comedy clubs has not been very successful (completely fucking frustrating, exactly: plenty of listings for comics who have been in amateur nights, or strip club amateur nights-which you don't want to see me in). I live in the far NW burbs, so something around St. Charles/Schaumburg/Geneva would be preferred, though I would travel to somewhere like Naperville. Are there any comedy clubs around you guys that have amateur nights?

Dude, ... just grab the weekend guide out of the Sun Times or the Tribune or The Reader...look under comedy...you'll find a list of clubs/open mic nights etc. ... Have you done anything before?...understand you may have to sign-up 2 to 3 hrs. earlier than the actual time listed/call the club first...I made the scene back in the mid 90's... I could'nt quit my day job...and a wife and 3 kids is not conducive to the lifestyle...the burbs are good training...yet, the city will define you... meaning your schtick may work good in the burbs where your average attendee are drunken soccer mom's out for fun with their friends...as for the city you have to nail it every time, and the competion may humble ya... be prepared to BOMB.

#6 Jenny Penny

Jenny Penny

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 06:28 PM

isn't there a Zanies in St. Chuck? i know beat kitchen here in the city has a comedy night once a week or something...that's all i got.

Chicago Underground Comedy on Tuesdays at the Beat Kitchen rules -- it's not an open mic, however. It's so much fun after a stupid day at work. And it's $5. And you can eat Beat Kitchen food.

Sorry, that's all I got.

#7 Great American

Great American

Lurker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 88 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 03:39 PM

Look in the Reader and you'll find plenty. Be ready dude, if you bomb you're gonna feel really bad, but if you dont do it you'll feel like a pussy, either way you'll probably be bad and the people in the stand-up scene are assholes.

#8 WesterMats

WesterMats

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3046 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 02:08 AM

Posted Image
assholes.

#9 Montana

Montana

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11536 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 03:56 AM

Look in the Reader and you'll find plenty. Be ready dude, if you bomb you're gonna feel really bad, but if you dont do it you'll feel like a pussy, either way you'll probably be bad and the people in the stand-up scene are assholes.

You paint a really nice picture.
Every Sunday morning I wake up
I see you by your dresser doing your make-up
Fluttering a Chinese fan in a Knoxville fashion
All last night you tossed and turned
Your body was hotter than the night Richmond burned
You say you had a bad nightmare about tractor trailers crashing
- The Felice Brothers

#10 MattDrufke

MattDrufke

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2891 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 07:49 AM

You paint a really nice picture.

It's alright. I kind of understand the scene already, and I'm not expecting to kill. But I like my material enough, and I would call myself an adequate performer, so I just want to see if I can get some people to laugh.

Listen to my album, This Is Supposed To Be Fun, on Spotify, or buy it on any of the major online music services.

#11 TJENZ

TJENZ

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10508 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 07:56 AM

Have them introduce you as "Matt Drufke, the adequate comedian"

2008-01-15-coopdevil01_lg.jpg

#12 Complain

Complain

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3463 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 08:41 AM

Don't live anywhere near you, but I can tell you almost every club has open mike nights. Get the yellow pages, or search google for "comedy clubs". Call the club, find out when, memorize your material, and hit it. If you're any good, don't be surprised if the club offers you a part time MC/opener for the opener type gig. That's how I got started back in the late 80's when I did standup. If you're serious about it, my only advice is to perform as much as possible. That's how you learn to gauge an audience, when to improv, and how to stress certain words for greater effect. I went from open mike nights to opening for Emo Phillips and Roger Kabler in about 18 months. Problem was, I realized my inability to develop new material just wasn't cutting it. But I had a lot of fun for about two years.

All my life i wanted to be black.
Until i saw your picture, now i wanna be you.

http://www.myspace.com/hipbyproxy

#13 MattDrufke

MattDrufke

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2891 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 09:18 AM

Have them introduce you as "Matt Drufke, the adequate comedian"

Hah! Back in the late 90's, two friends and I had a small band, where we did comedy-esque songs about various things (Republicans, Jerry Springer, Jackie Chan). Our first album was called "Striving For Mediocrity".

EDIT: I'm going to start seriously looking today. I'll let you guys know more when it develops.

#14 Agrimorfee

Agrimorfee

Too nice for his own good

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13311 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 09:28 AM

You probably already know, but I'll mention that many "Mike nights" ask for a fee to participate (like 3-5$). Been there, singing my crappy parodies at an open mike just for kicks, but you sound like you are serious and "hungry". Good luck.

"Is everyone on here just an act sometimes?"--Hummingbird

Read all of my stupid song parodies here. Latest song improved/ruined: "No More Mr. Nice Guy" by Alice Cooper.

Download all of my alleged music free through the remainder of May at www.soundclick.com/agrimorfee

Also jabbering about music and movies at www.rateyourmusic.com

#15 theremin

theremin

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6370 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 10:23 AM

I went from open mike nights to opening for Emo Phillips

This is a step down.

#16 Complain

Complain

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3463 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 10:36 AM

This is a step down.

:lol: Sure wasn't in terms of the money...or the women that come up to Emo after shows. Funniest thing was touring with him for a week, and watching Weird Al Yankovic show up in the audience just to heckle him.

#17 TJENZ

TJENZ

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10508 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 10:42 AM

This is a step down.

:lol: Sure wasn't in terms of the money...or the women that come up to Emo after shows. Funniest thing was touring with him for a week, and watching Weird Al Yankovic show up in the audience just to heckle him.

women went up to Emo?!?! :blink:

2008-01-15-coopdevil01_lg.jpg

#18 Complain

Complain

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3463 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 10:54 AM

Like you wouldn't believe. Trust me, depressed women want to laugh, too - and if you can make them laugh, you're halfway home. Roger Kabler scored big - he's a freaking great impressionist. He'd just ask the women who they've always wanted to be with, then start doing the voice of whatever they told him.

#19 tweed

tweed

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3857 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 10:56 AM

women went up to Emo?!?! :blink:

Stranger things have happened. I have a (relatively attractive) female cousin who's a Carrot Top groupie.
Twilight Revival
Friday, March 13th - Thornwood Lounge (Wood Dale,IL)
Tuesday, April 21 - Abbey Pub (Chicago, IL)

Web Site I MySpace

#20 Complain

Complain

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3463 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 12:44 PM

Carrot Top is an ugly dude, but he's freaking ripped. He's put on fifty pounds of muscle over the last ten years or so.