#1 Freddie Freelance

Freddie Freelance

Dieu d'Or

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6335 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 03:27 PM

From the Listening Post blog at Wired.com:

My Bloody Valentine To Reunite for Coachella 2008?
By Eliot Van Buskirk Email August 27, 2007 | 4:24:30 PM Categories: People

Posted Image

Rumors of a My Bloody Valentine reunion have been knocking around for ages. But aside from Kevin Shields' Lost in Translation soundtrack, there's been little reason -- aside from the band's new MySpace page -- for fans to believe them. Having heard this one before, I'll believe it when I see/hear it.

The Daily Swarm cites US- and UK-based sources who say the band will reunite to play next year's Coachella, following that up with a world tour and two full-length albums of previously-unreleased and newly-recorded material:

But now some tantalizing hints have emerged in the past few weeks that suggest the band is finally gearing up for a return to action. In July, several fans reported encounters with Shields at Primal Scream and Dinosaur Jr. shows in England, Ireland, and Russia, each returning with the same story: that Shields very matter-of-factly spoke of My Bloody Valentine in the very present tense. The fans reported Shields said that two new My Bloody Valentine releases are in the works – an anthology of unreleased 90s material and an album of brand new studio recordings – along with the imminent release of remastered versions of the band’s original studio work.

(Apologies to the uninterested, it's just that I'm still utterly convinced of this band's excellence.)

[Shields] is also reported as saying, on several different occasions, that a 2008 tour is in the works that will feature the band’s original lineup. (Read some of the reports here, here, and here.) Furthermore, in an interview published earlier this year in Magnet magazine, Shields was adamant about the band’s return: “We are 100% going to make another My Bloody Valentine record unless we die or something,” he said.

Equally intriguing is the appearance of a new official My Bloody Valentine MySpace page earlier this month, which also links to mybloodyvalentine.co.uk, a website that now has just a generic holding page. In an email with The Daily Swarm, Kevin Shields' manager, Vinita Joshi, confirmed that the MySpace page is indeed officially affiliated with the band, and that Debbie Googe, the group’s bass player, is actively working on creating the My Bloody Valentine website.

(via billboard; image from toothpastefordinner)

Rev. Dr. Frederick J. Freelance, Ph.D., Th.D., D.F.S.
Posted Image

Should have stayed home and drank beer instead of going to work today.

Now Playing: Brahms, Symphony No 2; Giulini - Wiener

Heh heh, he said "Wiener"...

#2 helmet52

helmet52

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1506 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 03:29 PM

As an annual attendee to Coachella, I would be very excited about this if true.

#3 Duff.

Duff.

I'm a monsta, I'm a killa.

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5887 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 03:36 PM

I'll believe it when I see it. Here's hoping.

No, it'll be stupid, and we're already doing something stupid.
murderfbanner.gif

#4 biggie mcsmalls

biggie mcsmalls

ok

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13266 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 03:37 PM

From mybloodyvalentine.net:

28 August 07 MBV to play Coachella in 2008 and tour rumours
As you've all seen around the net, rumours are flying around about MBV playing Coachella in 2008 and a full world tour to follow. Kevin's manager has told me these are only rumours and gossip. Here is the original article. Kevin's manager can only confirm that Kevin is currently remastering their albums as well as the rest of the Creation Records back a catalog I would imagine because this has been rumoured lately as well.

#5 no magnets

no magnets

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 03:54 PM

this won't happen. they were just trying to drum up interest after that "morrissey turns down $75M to reunite the smiths with johnny marr" story.

#6 arkin

arkin

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2663 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 04:18 PM

this exact same rumor was circling last Coachella season.

#7 HandBanana

HandBanana

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5760 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 04:19 PM

Every year guys, every year. Its MBV, Portishead, The Smiths, Underworld (who have actually played Coachella before) and Massive Attack (altho that one came true finally)
[color="#FF0000"][size=3]I made some rock posters.
For the world.
That give worms to ex-girlfriends: [url="http://www.gigposter...tp://www.gigpos

#8 Bleep Blop

Bleep Blop

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3515 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 04:24 PM

Every year guys, every year.

Its MBV, Portishead, The Smiths, Underworld (who have actually played Coachella before) and Massive Attack (altho that one came true finally)

Portishead is happening as well at ATP.

#9 Mitchell

Mitchell

dirty old man

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20691 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 04:38 PM

I'm still mulling on tickets for that.
Nice bowl of Crunchy Nut you got here, pretty expensive as I recall.

#10 Freddie Freelance

Freddie Freelance

Dieu d'Or

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6335 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 04:49 PM

Every year guys, every year.

Its MBV, Portishead, The Smiths, Underworld (who have actually played Coachella before) and Massive Attack (altho that one came true finally)

Portishead is happening as well at ATP.

Which ATP?

[EDIT] Never mind, I found it.
Posted Image

#11 Undercooked Sausage

Undercooked Sausage

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13801 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 04:54 PM

I've been hearing MBV reunion rumors since forever, I believe it'll happen someday, or at least a singles/unreleased boxset, I'm just not holding my breath on it and will welcome it with open arms when it does.
Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#12 The Good Dr Bill

The Good Dr Bill

Maybe. Maybe Not. Maybe Fuck Yourself.

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11509 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 04:57 PM

I would pay in the hundreds for this, or the box set, or a new album, or whatever, really.
what does he file at the hall of records? a declaration of tortoise intent

#13 typical pickle conflicts

typical pickle conflicts

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1943 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 05:00 PM

yeah i remember a reference to the forthcoming MBV boxset in a response i got to an angry email sent to pitchfork customer service freshman year of college in 2003-4, i'll believe it when i see it, or when a stereogum contributor sees it and posts pictures
Posted Image

#14 Undercooked Sausage

Undercooked Sausage

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13801 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 05:01 PM

I would pay in the hundreds for this, or the box set, or a new album, or whatever, really.

Well, yeah of course, moneybags. from you this statement is useless, but I support it's sentiment tenfold

hundreds of dollars for you probably means about as much to you as the lint on my dick
Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#15 Freddie Freelance

Freddie Freelance

Dieu d'Or

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6335 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 05:05 PM

From mybloodyvalentine.net:

28 August 07 MBV to play Coachella in 2008 and tour rumours
As you've all seen around the net, rumours are flying around about MBV playing Coachella in 2008 and a full world tour to follow. Kevin's manager has told me these are only rumours and gossip. Here is the original article. Kevin's manager can only confirm that Kevin is currently remastering their albums as well as the rest of the Creation Records back a catalog I would imagine because this has been rumoured lately as well.

And the rumors are supposedly coming from Kevin himself, so the info's coming out second hand either way.
Posted Image

#16 typical pickle conflicts

typical pickle conflicts

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1943 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 05:18 PM

There's a guy on hipinion who claimed to have heard about a 2008 reunion from Kevin Shields' cousin which I don't know why I sort of believe when posters there lie about what albums they've downloaded, the month in which they were born, their SAT II subject test scores, the natural superiority of the white race, etc.
Posted Image

#17 Pavement Ist Rad

Pavement Ist Rad

What would the Melvins say?

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13222 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 06:12 PM

Man, the box sets! They were planning two of 'em, weren't they? I certainly remember two P-Fork stories about separate boxes a few years back. One was all live, the other was all the EPs and a bunch of other crap. And neither of 'em happened. Great.
Posted Image

Damo Suzuki: So, um, yeah. Getting older isn't as bad as it sounds. Better than being young & poor (DjDrake) or young & slutty (SG) or young, poor and slutty (Paves); am I right?

Alright, my friends. It's time for another solid little rock jam

#18 Kamera

Kamera

Lurker

• Sombie
  • Pip
  • 92 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 07:18 PM

:drool: If this happens then there isn't a force strong enough to keep me away from Coachella next year.

#19 undo

undo

future thug

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8962 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 01:01 AM

There's a guy on hipinion who claimed to have heard about a 2008 reunion from Kevin Shields' cousin which I don't know why I sort of believe when posters there lie about what albums they've downloaded, the month in which they were born, their SAT II subject test scores, the natural superiority of the white race, etc.

The more time I spend there lurking, the more I get depressed when I read about how much money everyone there claims to be making.

Every other page there's a career thread where someone says something like "Yeah, I got hired right after college, making 60K, wasn't that hard to get." And then "what the fuck is wrong with you?" to anyone who's not.

I know it's bullshit but the only time I read that board is when I'm at work, and it stabs me in the heart.

#20 UselessRocker

UselessRocker

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3849 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 10:33 AM

Last year, there were rumors that the Replacements, the Smiths and MBV were all in neogitations to reunite for Coachella. (Not that all of them would be playing at Coachella, but that Goldenvoice was working with them to try and get at least one.) I woke up every day during this era, trying not to get my hopes up and dribble shit down my legs over the possibility of these things happening. But seriously, Cardgage is right. EVERY YEAR - there is demand and rumors that MBV, Portishead, the Smiths (among others, but those are the most popular and frequent) will be reuniting for Coachella. I'll believe it when I see it. Re: the MBV box sets. At one point, I think it was supposed to be one box set of the EPs and remastered versions of Loveless/Isn't Anything with some bonus live and rare goodies. Then that was split into a reissue box set and a live box set. But that could all have been speculation. I'm not sure anyone other than Kevin Shields has any idea what will ever be released.
"LETS GET SOME FUCKING ENERGY UP IN THIS BITCH MOTHERFUCKERS! You are not resigned to a fate of slow, painful death. The world is not as Radiohead and Portishead see it. "Oh the suffering! Oh the suffering, I feel the weight of the world and all it's pain" FUCK YOU......Be the grizzly, tear some shit up, rather than tearing yourself up." -- Montana, 12/21/08