#41 without_opinion

without_opinion

Minister of Health

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5575 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 07:52 PM

mitch, you might be up for a while...
Music Is My Girlfriend (click for playlists) -- my brother's weekly radio show (new time!), Mondays, 2pm CST, out of Crested Butte, CO. Hear it at KBUT fm online

#42 brainstorm

brainstorm

Hipster

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2241 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 07:53 PM

too much class in this thread

nice jack, shithead.

quit the board

if it will bother you even a teensy littlebit for me to stay, try and guess what I'ma do.
"So?" - Dick Cheney

#43 Mantana

Mantana

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1950 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 07:55 PM

if it will bother you even a teensy littlebit for me to stay, try and guess what I'ma do.

bitch, you might be up for a while...

#44 MattDrufke

MattDrufke

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2889 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 09:33 PM

Sometimes, the beautiful moments happen before a game. Ladies and gentlemen, the definition of class, then-Trailblazers coach Maurice Cheeks...

www,twitter.com/ihatemattdrufke

www.facebook.com/mattdrufke

Listen to my album, This Is Supposed To Be Fun, on Spotify, or buy it on any of the major online music services.

#45 Bob Loblaw

Bob Loblaw

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3550 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 10:55 AM

Pyrrhic victory for Tiger this weekend. Out for the rest of the year? The network sports execs just shit their pants.

#46 sin city

sin city

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3518 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 10:57 AM

Pyrrhic victory for Tiger this weekend. Out for the rest of the year? The network sports execs just shit their pants.

rest of the year at best. this could last past the Masters next year...
"even boarding in non-signature-view mode i feel your lists of concerts (no one cares) last.fm bullshit (ditto) and oversized .jpgs (srsly fuck off) may distract from my superior posts."

#47 bleach

bleach

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3302 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 11:17 AM

watching golf gets so much better when you imagine jim nantz giving hushed speak from his monitor filled living room while wearing a pair of boxers and kicking around empty cans of hamms as he bounces from monitor to monitor.
We go 0 to Dennehy in three seconds or less.

#48 Sam

Sam

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1493 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 11:25 AM

Tiger's win in this U.S. Open was already slated to be remembered as one of the best and most legendary of all time. This news now takes it to even another level.
(glorified) lurker

#49 Nick

Nick

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6009 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 11:26 AM

Hey Golf Ratings -- See ya later.

#50 elcorazon

elcorazon

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5646 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 11:30 AM

If Tiger never plays again, he goes down as the greatest golfer of all time. F you Jack Nicklaus. It's all about Tiger. Sad news for Tiger and for networks who air golf. I, for one, have very little interest when Tiger's not involved.
Sail Away: The Songs of Randy Newman -7.5/10
Dusty Springfield - Dusty in Memphis 8.5/10
Buddy & Julie Miller - Written in Chalk wow, first listen, but great great record! 9.3/10
Justin Townes Earle - Midnight at the Moviessurprisingly great, never picked up his past releases, but this one's knocking my socks off right away, 8.7/10
M. Ward - Hold Time 8.0/10
Neko Case -Middle Cyclone her best I've heard is my initial impression, but too soon to rate, haven't had a really good listen yet 7.8/10

#51 WesterMats

WesterMats

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3045 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 12:16 PM

I, for one, have very little interest when Tiger's not involved.

Same here. However, I did find myself rooting for mediate in the tie breaker.
"I forgot my one line, so I just said what I felt"
--Paul Westerberg

Posted Image

#52 norton

norton

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2910 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 12:18 PM

Ah, don't worry. I'm sure the networks will come up with some sort of virtual Tiger so they can still dedicate their broadcasts to him and him alone. Personally, this news will increase the odds of me watching golf this summer. Nothing against the guy, but I really would like to see some of the other players too.

#53 brainstorm

brainstorm

Hipster

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2241 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 12:22 PM

One of Tiger's great contributions to the game is not a fair weather fanbase which refuses to turn on theTV when he isn't playing. He doesn't play most of the time. Tiger has brought in fans who never before understood how complex and technical and difficult it is to play golf well.

Tiger cherry picks his tour events and keeps them to a minimum. Yet more people watch golf on TV now than pre-Tiger. Will the ratings decline? Sure. A little. The predicitions of doom and gloom in this portion of the thread, however, are those made by any casual fan whose main reason to be a fan has exited. You can't really posit an equal relationship between Tiger Woods fans and all fans of golf who got turned onto it by Tiger, however.
"So?" - Dick Cheney

#54 dice

dice

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4074 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 12:24 PM

If Tiger never plays again, he goes down as the greatest golfer of all time.

yep. and i predicted it after his first major. BUT...

nicklaus in majors:

1st place 18
2nd place 19
3rd place 9
4th place 8

17 additional top 10s
29 different years top 10 in a major, including a stretch of 21 out of 22 with a top 2
last major at masters at age 44. 6th at same tournament at age 56

now, granted, this was not in the tiger era with its depth of competition, but c'mon

tiger in majors:

1st place 14
2nd place 5
3rd place 2
4th place 2

5 additional top 10s

so nicklaus leads in major top 10s 71-28
http://www.kiva.org

make a difference
99% repayment!

#55 dice

dice

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4074 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 12:25 PM

Will the ratings decline? Sure. A little.

ratings DOUBLE for events that tiger plays in
http://www.kiva.org

make a difference
99% repayment!

#56 Sam

Sam

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1493 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 12:33 PM

Ah, don't worry. I'm sure the networks will come up with some sort of virtual Tiger so they can still dedicate their broadcasts to him and him alone. Personally, this news will increase the odds of me watching golf this summer. Nothing against the guy, but I really would like to see some of the other players too.

Well, Tiger routinely plays fewer tournaments than most of the other golfers high up on the money list. He's definately not a week-in, week-out journeyman. He always plays the Buicks (sponsorships), The Memorial (Jack's tournament), Bayhill (Palmer's tournament), Byron Nelson's tournament, the Player's Championship, the Accenture WGC's, and, of course, the Majors. Still a fair amount, but outside of those, he's pretty spotty with regular attendance.

Even when he's healthy, I bet at least half of the PGA tournaments don't have him in the field. Its gonna suck without him. I enjoy golf even when he isn't in the field, but when he is my interest increases dramatically.
(glorified) lurker

#57 Bob Loblaw

Bob Loblaw

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3550 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 12:37 PM

If Tiger never plays again, he goes down as the greatest golfer of all time.

yep. and i predicted it after his first major.

You were the only one in the world to do that. <_<

#58 Bob Loblaw

Bob Loblaw

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3550 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 12:40 PM

They should have a Ghost Tiger on the course like in Mario Kart. At the beginning of the tourney they plot what the average Tiger output would be, and players have to keep up with that. You'd see Mickelson sweating right through his manzier.

#59 brainstorm

brainstorm

Hipster

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2241 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 12:48 PM

Will the ratings decline? Sure. A little.

ratings DOUBLE for events that tiger plays in

you're a fuckin idiot, you know that?

"Hmmmmm - let's see... I hate this guy who posts on my board, so I'll ignore the thrust of his post and take exception with one bit of it and then present myself as this immensely clever man who has defeated his argument with an almost meaningless stat."

Golf's viewership is up, squirt. Across the board, regardless of whether Tiger plays or doesn't play. The viwership will decline for events he doesn't play. The viewership will not decline fro the majority of golf tour turnaments, because he doesn't play them anyway.

Therefore, predicitons of doom and gloom as to golf's TV ratings are inaccurate. They are the predictions of people who turn on the TV to watch Tiger, not the people who turn on the TV due to Tiger's influence. Two entirely different things.
"So?" - Dick Cheney

#60 Bob Loblaw

Bob Loblaw

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3550 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 12:51 PM

Not if half the people tune in just to watch Tiger. EDIT: Okay, I'm kinda just fucking with you now Brainy. I know whatcha mean, but ratings are def going to suffer when it's JP "Johnny Wad" Holmes and some foreigner most non golf enthusiasts have never heard of are duking it out on the Sunday of the PGA Championship. The most important ratings are the tourneys Tiger plays in, the ones he doesn't play in are the smaller torneys that don't attract big sponsor/advertising dollars anyway. The ratings for the last two majors will probably be the lowest in a decade.