Photo

Gay marriage

• Please log in to reply
253 replies to this topic

Poll: Gay marriage

Simple question, simple answer.

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#241 bleach

bleach

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3302 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 10:44 PM

Should gays be allowed to adopt? Supposedly there has been research done

i don't want to say it's unbelievable because i've met too many people to think that but jesus this question, including any fucking research towards it, must be offensive as hell to the gay community.
We go 0 to Dennehy in three seconds or less.

#242 M_Rots

M_Rots

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4277 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 11:38 PM

I voted yay. However, I actually made a speech at the University of Wisconsin, the capital building to be exact, about whether or not gays should be able to adopt. I said no and got out voted by about 120-10. I would say about 4 of those 10 were my friends or peers who didn't want me to look like a complete fool up there. I did anyway, gave a pretty ill prepared speech and deserved the snickers from the crowd as I gave the speech. That aside what is the SOMB opinion on that.

Should gays be allowed to adopt? Supposedly there has been research done that it doesn't effect the way a kid is brought up in any way. I actually know a child that is parented by two gay parents and he is very, very normal. And of course a home is a home and its better that a child goes to home of gays rather than a home of abusive white trash.

On the other side although it may not effect the child if word gets out he would be ridiculed like none other. The kid would become an outcast and might become just another tally on the ever growing juvenile suicide rate.

Right. Because abusive white trash are well known as big adopters. Last time I checked, child abuse was no respecter of income or other socioeconomic factors. But by all means, please continue dealing in stereotype - it's only offensive when it singles out groups we like.

Right?

#243 Mitchell

Mitchell

dirty old man

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20691 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 02:09 AM

might become just another tally on the ever growing juvenile suicide rate.

The what? citation needed.
Nice bowl of Crunchy Nut you got here, pretty expensive as I recall.

#244 Mitchell

Mitchell

dirty old man

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20691 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 09:48 AM

Brown attacks US gay marriage ban
Nice bowl of Crunchy Nut you got here, pretty expensive as I recall.

#245 undo

undo

future thug

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8963 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 06:08 PM

The Illinois state House adopted a bill allowing same-sex marriages by a vote of 61 to 54 Tuesday, paving the way for Illinois to become the 15th state where such unions are legal.

The state Senate had passed the Religious Freedom and Marriage Equality Act on Feb. 14 but the House adjourned in May without taking up the bill.  The Senate must now approve the House measure, which has minor amendments, before sending it  to Illinois Gov. Pat Quinn (D-Ill.), who has pledged to sign it. The law will take effect June 1, 2014.

President Obama had urged Illinois legislators to approve the measure. At 5:22 p.m., Obama's Twitter account posted the message: "This is huge: The Illinois House just passed marriage equality. #LoveIsLove"

Civil unions are already legal in Illinois.

"Today the Land of Lincoln rededicated itself to the proposition that all are created equal,” said Human Rights Campaign President Chad Griffin in a statement.  “Thanks to principled impatience from state leaders in Springfield, the overwhelming momentum toward nationwide marriage equality continues to intensify.”

Hawaii is likely to be the next state to legalize same-sex marriage; its state Senate passed such a bill Oct. 30, and the Hawaii state House is expected to vote on the measure in a matter of days.

The group Freedom to Marry — part of the coalition that lobbied for gay marriage in Illinois  — took the opportunity to send out a fundraising appeal for its "Win More States Fund" on Tuesday night.

The group's national campaign director Marc Solomon wrote in an e-mail that while the vote marked a turning point in the state, "our work continues. In 35 states, same-sex couples are denied the freedom to marry and Freedom to Marry is implementing a bold and ambitious strategy to win nationwide."

#246 Duff.

Duff.

I'm a monsta, I'm a killa.

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5890 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 08:16 PM

It feels good.

No, it'll be stupid, and we're already doing something stupid.
murderfbanner.gif

#247 WP64

WP64

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 05:27 AM

I don't think I will ever understand why this is something people would fight about on either side. Marriage is a fucked up institution. And gearing all ethical decisions around the bible is fucking retarded. If this legislation ends prejudices based on sexual orientation then I am glad. My hunch is that it won't do that at all and we have a long way to go but this is maybe a step in the right direction. So cheers, Illinois! Let's get our homosexuality on!

#248 undo

undo

future thug

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8963 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 01:12 PM

I don't think I will ever understand why this is something people would fight about on either side. Marriage is a fucked up institution. And gearing all ethical decisions around the bible is fucking retarded. If this legislation ends prejudices based on sexual orientation then I am glad. My hunch is that it won't do that at all and we have a long way to go but this is maybe a step in the right direction. So cheers, Illinois! Let's get our homosexuality on!

why do you hate our freedom?

xvl8.jpg

#249 undo

undo

future thug

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8963 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 02:24 PM

http://illinoisfamil...-marriage-vote/

Far too many religious leaders claim the church should not be involved in “political issues.” But what if political issues are first biblical issues? During the slave era, should churches have remained silent as Scripture was twisted to justify slave-holding (just as it is twisted today to justify same-sex pseudo-marriage)? Was it right that so many Christians refused to stand for truth during Hitler’s reign of terror? Should Christians have refrained from participating in the Civil Rights marches in the 1960’s?

2794790994.png

#250 Duff.

Duff.

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5890 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 06:53 PM

Wow. Not sure what to do with that but I guess I'll let those folks have a good sulk until they go on with their lives that haven't been changed by this at all.

There are a lot of practical concerns bundled into this that affect real people's lives. It needed to happen.

murderfbanner.gif

#251 WP64

WP64

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 01:24 AM

Totally agree, Duff, and I am glad that this has finally happened. I was mostly just pointing out that I don't think enacting legislation actually changes the way that the public will think about this issue (at least not in the present). It is still going to be polarizing and when I turn on FOX News they are still going to make ridiculous comparisons between homosexuality and beastiality.

Although I guess forcing progressive legislation on people does eventually cause their ignorance to subside over time. I could make shitty parallels to the African-American voting rights/the 1960s civil rights movement but I will save myself from that embarrassment.

#252 WP64

WP64

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 01:26 AM

Also, I just want to point out how much I hate the time that this board crash brought us back to. Almost every bumped thread has a recent post from my 15 year old self and it is truly frightening.

#253 Duff.

Duff.

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5890 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 02:05 PM

It would be interesting to see how certain legislation affects how the public feels about certain issues. One might think it would normalize social changes like gay marriage, but then again conventional wisdom suggests the opposite happened with Roe vs. Wade. So I dunno. In any case, the future seems clear on this particular issue, the question is only when will legislative bodies just accept that.

Once this "new" board came up I was immediately confronted by my past praise of a Mumford & Sons song, so I feel ya.

murderfbanner.gif

#254 Ned Braden

Ned Braden

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1029 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 12:32 AM

I can't believe Mumford and Sons are a band that has been around for more than two years.

Well, I guess I have been living abroad for 3 so...

ign-presents-the-history-of-ninja-gaiden