Photo

Gay marriage

• Please log in to reply
253 replies to this topic

Poll: Gay marriage

Simple question, simple answer.

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 6ome 9irl

6ome 9irl

Freaky styley

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7584 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 06:24 PM

I was surprised to learn Hillary is one of the only Democrats who is not for gay marriage but supports civil union. I'm rather traditional about it and I agree.

#22 bleach

bleach

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3302 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 06:27 PM

I was surprised to learn Hillary is one of the only Democrats who is not for gay marriage but supports civil union. I'm rather traditional about it and I agree.

yea, it was her old man that signed into law the feds don't have to recognize gay marriage. why do you agree?
We go 0 to Dennehy in three seconds or less.

#23 fabulous muscles

fabulous muscles

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3764 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 06:33 PM

Yeah, I'm only in it for the marital "bliss."

And toaster ovens.
No Homo.

#24 6ome 9irl

6ome 9irl

Freaky styley

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7584 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 06:38 PM

Well, I think they should enjoy the status/benefits of being together legally but I don't think it should mix into the church, who I would like to see hold to their belief of marriage as 'the union between man and woman.' I'm traditional about marriage in the first place, I'm barely okay with heterosexuals marrying without intent to reproduce, and since I think children are a goal of marriage, well...

Like Nic said, marriage is usually a religious matter. It's takes the argument into something private. I don't think the church should change it's total philosophy for the minority. See, with a civil union they can still have their own ceremony, it's just not likely going to be in a church, which is not something the law has much to do with.

Marriage in the non-civil union sense is a religious matter, as far as i understand it. This would include preventing individual states from passing anti-gay marriage laws, although this treads into weird constitutional territory...freedom of religion VS states rights.

Exactly.

#25 red

red

bored

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9490 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 06:39 PM

Yes, yes, yes. Equal rights all around. I'd like to be able to talk about my "married" gay friends without using air quotes.

And toaster ovens.

:lol:

Red is right

#26 bleach

bleach

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3302 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 06:40 PM

And toaster ovens.

i'll see your toaster oven and raise you a pop tart.

#27 bleach

bleach

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3302 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 06:41 PM

Yes, yes, yes. Equal rights all around. I'd like to be able to talk about my "married" gay friends without using air quotes.

and the eye-rolling. my god the eye-rolling!

#28 bleach

bleach

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3302 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 06:44 PM

eh, i rarely find that 'marriage' is usually a religious matter...at least in how it is treated by married couples. and maybe having children through adoption would be easier if the couple were married.

#29 red

red

bored

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9490 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 06:46 PM

maybe having children through adoption would be easier if the couple were married.

very good point.

Red is right

#30 fabulous muscles

fabulous muscles

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3764 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 06:46 PM

And toaster ovens.

i'll see your toaster oven and raise you a pop tart.

I see that pop tart and raise you more Ovaltine!
No Homo.

#31 6ome 9irl

6ome 9irl

Freaky styley

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7584 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 06:49 PM

What would be so different? They won't suddenly be married by a priest. I guess I want to know what they want, what do they gain?

I'm barely okay with gay couples adopting. Once again, I'm traditional about family and I don't feel the need to give up my stance. But you know personally, Bleach, I'm totally fine with gay people.

#32 red

red

bored

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9490 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 06:53 PM

I'm barely okay with gay couples adopting. Once again, I'm traditional about family and I don't feel the need to give up my stance. But, you know personally, Bleach, I'm down with the lifestyle.

What's wrong with letting gay couples adopt?

How can you say that you are down with the lifestyle while holding so strongly to your conservative beliefs? It doesn't make any sense.

Red is right

#33 fabulous muscles

fabulous muscles

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3764 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 06:55 PM

maybe having children through adoption would be easier if the couple were married.

very good point.

I would imagine it would still be an even lengthier process, but it would progress nonetheless. I don't know what came over me, but lately I have been thinking of marriage, adopting a couple of Chinese kids, and grow old without having to do math ever again. And only a couple of years ago I was anti-domestic anything. Life, huh.
No Homo.

#34 red

red

bored

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9490 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 06:57 PM

Actually, jon, it's a lengthy process for heteros too, but I truly hope you can have all of that one day. I'm going to go listen to the Ark's "Father of a Son" now. ;)

Red is right

#35 Damo Suzuki

Damo Suzuki

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3715 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 06:58 PM

I am also against gays adopting heterosexual children because it makes a mockery of all the heterosexual couples raising their children responsibly.
"One can't love man without hating most of the creatures who pretend to bear his name."

#36 fabulous muscles

fabulous muscles

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3764 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 06:59 PM

And yeah, SG against gay adoption has me dumbfounded.
No Homo.

#37 6ome 9irl

6ome 9irl

Freaky styley

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7584 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 06:59 PM

You missed my edit. I meant I'm okay with gay people. I'm not a conservative, I just have traditional family views. I can have a traditional family view and still be okay with gay people (many people are in my boat). It doesn't have to be 100% either way. I consider myself accepting, much more than some Conservatives. 'Marriage' means what it means to me. That's what I'll vote.

#38 bleach

bleach

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3302 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 07:01 PM

sg, not all civil unions are recognized equally by states regarding marriage rights. also, let's not forget that last election 14 states made it illegal - get out of our state. so to say there is nothing to be gained is just wrong (without even mentioning rights to be gained under federal recognition). and really, i'm not even sure how/or why this would bother your idea of what marriage should be. if we woke up tomorrow and all gays were married, how exactly would that shatter your own marriage, your father's marriage etc? you are holding on to this traditional idea of what marriage should look and sound like at the risk of discriminating towards others. does everybody have 1.5 inch high lawns and picket fences in your dreams too? your barely ok with gays adopting?

But you know personally, Bleach, I'm totally fine with gay people.

i laughed.

#39 6ome 9irl

6ome 9irl

Freaky styley

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7584 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 07:04 PM

And yeah, SG against gay adoption has me dumbfounded.

See? People assume everything is so one-way or the other. You also personally know from my posts I'm not against gays.

I'm not sure I'm against gay adoption, but I don't favor it as the best choice for a child.

#40 Damo Suzuki

Damo Suzuki

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3715 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 07:11 PM

Unless the child is also gay, natch.
"One can't love man without hating most of the creatures who pretend to bear his name."