215 replies to this topic

#1 Bruegel

Bruegel

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1756 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 05:41 AM

I get the feeling I知 not the only Sombie locked into this right now.

After a month of sunning it up in Nippon I知 trying to adjust to the colder climes, night-work grind and inner-city grime of the Great Wen

And then Untrue ghosts in......

Never has an album chimed so perfectly with my here and now. I know that years from now when I listen to this it will always be inextricably November 07. I知 not going to bother trying to describe it because I don't want to put anybody off

My man Jugo posted it in the electronic thread......

Posted Image

01 Untitled (0:45)
02 Archangel (3:59)
03 Near Dark (3:53)
04 Ghost Hardware (4:54)
05 Endorphin (2:57)
06 Etched Headplate (6:00)
07 In Mcdonalds (2:09)
08 Untrue (6:16)
09 Shell Of Light (4:41)
10 Dog Shelter (2:58)
11 Homeless (5:26)
12 UK (1:42)
13 Raver (4:58)

http://rapidshare.com/files/67019319/Burial_-_Untrue.rar.html

Who else is on board?
Posted Image

#2 Mitchell

Mitchell

dirty old man

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20700 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 05:43 AM

Well I really liked the s/t form last year so this will get a download when I'm in. Will sit in a pile of leaves and listen to make it as Novembery as possible.
Nice bowl of Crunchy Nut you got here, pretty expensive as I recall.

#3 torrance

torrance

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 06:23 AM

tis fantastic, i'd never heard of him till i saw a thread about this on atease a couple of days ago, after 1 listen i only liked the first track, then on two listens i bought the s/t and ordered this. just last night i listened to it on a foggy motorway drive with bleeding lights and fireworks popping up all around, its the perfect soundtrack for that

#4 nic

nic

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 06:48 AM

I endorse Burial more than I endorse cigarettes. This LP is full of such exciting productions, it must be consumed by all.

#5 avec

avec

forever alien

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5859 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 07:34 AM

I thought I would have no additions to my EOY list, but after only a couple listens this will likely grace the top somewhere. Don't you love it when an album you go into with no expectations blows you away? I do!

And I hope the 'electronic' tag won't put other sombies off. This seems like a great gateway album. I was reading reviews of his last release, and people were comparing it to an instrumental Massive Attack. Kind of similar, maybe. It's full of great beats and haunting samples, but none of it is obtrusive in it's late night vibe.

Anyway, people give this one a try! It's great.

#6 Eskimo kisses

Eskimo kisses

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1394 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 08:15 AM

Grabbing this tonight, last one absolutely ruled. Don't want to miss them off an EOY list again.
Well cool on the web like Spiderman.

#7 Mitchell

Mitchell

dirty old man

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20700 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 08:20 AM

Grabbing this tonight, last one absolutely ruled. Don't want to miss them off an EOY list again.

Yeah, I did this last year. Bought the record just before Christmas and the SOMB window had gone.
Nice bowl of Crunchy Nut you got here, pretty expensive as I recall.

#8 James D

James D

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2299 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 08:42 AM

Agreed. Bought this on friday and having had a full weekend to digest this I think I actually do prefer this to boxcutter; Which is top 5 material in itself. I've only really gotten into electronica this year really and boy am I glad about it. Two albums which are undeniable(sp?) classics over the past week or so. Thats good going.

#9 plastic

plastic

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 09:22 AM

After listening to Untrue repeatedly for the past few days, I think I prefer this record's mood. It's less dread and in its place is a nighttime, atmospheric glow. This record also has the advantage that since the production is clearer, the song's structures stand out more, making the individual tracks easier to comprehend. In the end, I'm surprised with how much I've been enjoying this. And I'm especially surprised with how I'm already sure that I prefer this record over the debut. It's a magnificent work, top 5 records of the year.

One thing that always bothered me about the debut was the song "Prayer". It's a short track towards the end, but goddamn, it uses nearly an identical beat to Massive Attack's "Angel". I always found it somewhat distracting.

#10 st. park

st. park

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1096 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 09:37 AM

i can't wait to hear this.

#11 Burz

Burz

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1770 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 10:10 AM

Much like the first Burial album, I like all the individual tracks but the whole album gets a bit too samey for me to take in all at once. I find myself getting bored about halfway through because I feel like I've already heard every song. I'll need to give it more time to see if it reveals itself a bit more.

#12 James D

James D

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2299 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 11:09 AM

See thats how I found it at first, but seriously, over the weekend I played the hell out of it and it all started to make sense. Great album. Whats everyone's opinion of it compared to his previous effort. Obviously its worth buying but is it as good as this?

#13 The Luscious Phil

The Luscious Phil

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3601 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 11:13 AM

Whats everyone's opinion of it compared to his previous effort. Obviously its worth buying but is it as good as this?

Simple answer: the new one is far better.

it just builds on the great production of his debut, and makes it more lush and coherent. I think the best word for his debut (imo) was: promising with moments of brilliance.

this album is just brilliant.
Posted Image

#14 throughsilver

throughsilver

What happened last night?

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5508 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 12:47 PM

Right, my other bidneth pretty much failed, so I'm getting the Box and Buz in ASAP. Vinyl, baby! Might as well get the Distance as well and have them go four corners with Landstrumm. Muuuuuuuuu!* * And Hyperdub, which we'll fudge for the purposes of my Mu battle cry.

Posted Image

#15 vurt

vurt

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1844 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 12:58 PM

I love the debut, but this album just completely blew me away. It's sad but incredibly beautiful and it just wraps me up and won't let go. It's spring here and summer's creeping up, but weather be damned: this album casts a spell regardless of the seasons. Even though I was expecting good things, this thing completely obliterated them. This is the best soul album in a long, long time.

#16 killerparties

killerparties

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1876 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 01:07 PM

My friend just two weeks ago gave me a Boxcutter vs. Burial disk, and since, I've suddenly seen them around here a lot more. That rapidshare is down, by the way. Also, does anyone want me to upload the burial/boxcutter, or is that old hat?
Posted Image

#17 Vivian Darkbloom

Vivian Darkbloom

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4426 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 01:10 PM

My friend just two weeks ago gave me a Boxcutter vs. Burial disk, and since, I've suddenly seen them around here a lot more.

That rapidshare is down, by the way.

Also, does anyone want me to upload the burial/boxcutter, or is that old hat?

Yeah, it would be awesome if someone could upload Burial in a ZIp format.
The God of language forgives all crimes. -W.H. Auden ***** Anthony B, Independent, March 16 Black Mountain, Rickshaw Stop, March 20 Earthless, Wooden Shjips, Cafe du Nord, March 28 Mastodon, Kylesa, Intronaut, Great American Music Hall, April 19 Opeth, Enslaved, Regency Grand Ballroom, May 14 Sun Kil Moon, Great American Music Hall, May 29

#18 Bruegel

Bruegel

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1756 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 05:02 PM

That rapidshare is down, by the way.

http://www.mediafire.com/?7yla1nwlkng

Posted Image

#19 killerparties

killerparties

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1876 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 05:33 PM

thanks, man!
Posted Image

#20 Nick

Nick

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6013 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 08:50 PM

I don't dislike like it. Sounds kind of like a sushi restaurant soundtrack. None of the songs really stood out after a couple listens.