82 replies to this topic

#1 Jigga

Jigga

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2083 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 05:32 AM

u know they always got to act the weirdest and get praised as the most "intelligent" people out there. and now this shit has flopped after all t he kewl bloggers and writesr sucked them off like they was making warren buffet type innovations to the business of selling music. they lost a whole lot of money on this shit. 70% of people didnt pay for that. it was free and i didnt even download it cause i could care less about warblers warbling over some weird heartless music. there is no warmth in their music. its all to be mentally disected. i checked a few of it out at youtube but to me, they are distant, and they probably do that shit on purpose so that people can say they are complicated, which is praise in music. dont get me wrong. the bendz was aight. ok computer was aight. but it was mind music, not heart music, and while mind music dominates polls and discussion etc, i'm here to tell you 100% of mind music is crap, unless you add some soul(heart)funk into it to carry it along. i dont feel smart for listening to it. i feel souless and unhappy. what does that say about list compilers that radiohead are always at the top of their? i predict they will top pazz and jop. but i'm glad they flopped money wise. they/their fans arrogance was too much. acting like they invented the wheel. but they are not jack welch, thats rappers imho. rappers got that business hustle. rappers made so many fiscal innovaftions in the last 50 yrs but radiohead getting thecredit for 1 little money idea they had, and that flopped yet expertsw acting like its a success. if they was from the hood, they would know how to handle money and make profit. but they never hustled in their life, they probably grew up on a farm in oxfaord reading shakespare and growing cabbages and lentils. thyat cant school them about business.

#2 Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ

Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9457 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 05:37 AM

i predict they will top pazz and jop but i'm glad they flopped bitches better learn when to stop
Aren't there any girls out their who like good music? I need to and want to meet them. My favorite bands are Overkill River, The Nife, Songs:Ohio, and Nuetral Milk Hotel. Please let me know if your into indy music and like to go to show's and drink beer's and makeout.

#3 HandBanana

HandBanana

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5760 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 05:50 AM

Mind grapes
[color="#FF0000"][size=3]I made some rock posters.
For the world.
That give worms to ex-girlfriends: [url="http://www.gigposter...tp://www.gigpos

#4 Mitchell

Mitchell

dirty old man

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20698 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 06:23 AM

Figures still not been released, all these numbers are nothing better than estimates. The experiment was a success in that more people heard the album this way, quicker than the conventional manner would allow and they would make more money even if only 30% paid so to say they flopped is just not accurate.
Nice bowl of Crunchy Nut you got here, pretty expensive as I recall.

#5 raumschwein

raumschwein

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1482 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 07:46 AM

warblers warbling over some weird heartless music.

I like In Rainbows (& OK Computer) well enough, but that does sort of some up how I feel about Radiohead in general.

#6 Mitchell

Mitchell

dirty old man

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20698 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 07:51 AM

Don't get the heartless description.
Nice bowl of Crunchy Nut you got here, pretty expensive as I recall.

#7 sombrero

sombrero

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 08:02 AM

it's a pretty awful album

#8 ParticleHustler

ParticleHustler

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5460 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 08:37 AM

First of all, let me just repeat that I am not a Radiohead fan at all, I'm just an interested observer of the process. And what I'm observing is that people still aren't grasping what happened here. They didn't just give away their album to 70% of their audience. They made money on the leak of their album. This album is still coming to the nearest Best Buy early next year, at which point you'll have the opportunity to plop down your $13 for a physical version. In the meantime, rather than watch this album inevitably leak before the physical CD release, they decided to pro-actively and pre-emptively offer a leaked version of the album, along with the chance to pay them for it. And a decent number of people did. That represents cash that they would never have seen, IN ADDITION TO the money they are going to make from the sale of the physical CD through normal distribution channels. They also added a collector's edition box set for $80 that can be bought before the regular CD is available. Demand for the box set increased because it will be the first opportunity to buy the physical CD. I'm sure they would have sold a few of these for the bonus CD and vinyl, but I guarantee they sold more of these than they would have otherwise due to the timing and the lack of CDs sitting down at Best Buy. When all is said and done, this wasn't all that revolutionary a concept, but it was a very smart business decision that no doubt will make them more money than had they just gone about releasing the CD the normal way. They got to turn it into a special event and got paid for leaking the album themselves, instead of watching people trade someone else's leak. And they took 100% of that money for themselves. And then on top of that, they'll still get paid the regular way for CD sales once the CD comes out through normal distribution channels. You can say their arrogance backfired, but you'd be dead wrong. They are laughing all the way to the bank, and getting praise for being cool and cutting edge at the same time.

#9 BobtheSquid

BobtheSquid

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3733 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 08:47 AM

Yeah, anyone who thinks this was a failure is missing the point. Radiohead got more free publicity off this stunt than any record label ever could have bought them. I mean, hell, my local newspaper ran multiple stories about this in its business section. By releasing its album this way, Radiohead made In Rainbows the biggest music story of 2007.

#10 elementus

elementus

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 971 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 08:50 AM

They also added a collector's edition box set for $80 that can be bought before the regular CD is available. Demand for the box set increased because it will be the first opportunity to buy the physical CD. I'm sure they would have sold a few of these for the bonus CD and vinyl, but I guarantee they sold more of these than they would have otherwise due to the timing and the lack of CDs sitting down at Best Buy.

Actually they had nothing to do with the boxset. That's all EMI's doing and they're quite pissed at them for it.

Otherwise OTM.

2.15.2013 Toro Y Moi @ Paradise Rock Club: Allston, MA

3.18.2013 Disclosure @ The Sinclair: Cambridge, MA

5.08.2013 James Blake @ House of Blues: Boston, MA

5.10.2013 Shout Out Louds @ Paradise Rock Club: Allston, MA

5.26.2013 Boston Calling Music Festival (The National, Andrew Bird, The Walkmen, Dirty Projectors, Youth Lagoon)

6.12.2013 Postal Service @ Band of America Pavilion: Boston, MA

#11 BobtheSquid

BobtheSquid

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3733 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 08:56 AM

They also added a collector's edition box set for $80 that can be bought before the regular CD is available. Demand for the box set increased because it will be the first opportunity to buy the physical CD. I'm sure they would have sold a few of these for the bonus CD and vinyl, but I guarantee they sold more of these than they would have otherwise due to the timing and the lack of CDs sitting down at Best Buy.

Actually they had nothing to do with the boxset. That's all EMI's doing and they're quite pissed at them for it.

Otherwise OTM.

That a reference to the In Rainbows "discbox," not the reissues box set that EMI is doing.

#12 falling and laughing

falling and laughing

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1089 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 08:59 AM

ParticleHustler OTM and all these numbers also don't take into account what they will rake in for the discbox

#13 Nick

Nick

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6011 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 09:02 AM

Album of the year. Can't wait to see it top the SOMB '07 list and read the bitch fest from people who think far lesser albums that no one will talk about 1 year from now should have been higher.

#14 Wolfgang

Wolfgang

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3427 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 09:19 AM

Album of the year. Can't wait to see it top the SOMB '07 list and read the bitch fest from people who think far lesser albums that no one will talk about 1 year from now should have been higher.

Vampire Weekend, anyone?

its like a group of nerds just get together to self indulge their self, just like sound opinions message board.

#15 BobtheSquid

BobtheSquid

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3733 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 09:36 AM

Vampire Weekend, anyone?

Don't hold your breath.

#16 petras

petras

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 09:41 AM

Even if only 1 person paid for what is essentially a leak, then Radiohead is doing a heck of a lot better then every other band whose album leaked this year. I'd hardly call this a backfire. They got people to buy a leak and soon they'll get people to buy the actual CD....not to mention the discbox. It's gonna be a good Christmas for Radioheads family i'm thinking.
"Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business."

#17 raumschwein

raumschwein

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1482 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 09:46 AM

Don't get the heartless description.

Well, I'll give you this much--they've got more heart than balls.

#18 Seamus

Seamus

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5301 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 09:47 AM

Vampire Weekend, anyone?

Back off, pal [<---adopts fake, menacing tone]. No need to take a cheap shot like that. Blue CD-R is pretty boss. Is it In Rainbows good? No. But it's tons of fun.

#19 Wolfgang

Wolfgang

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3427 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 09:49 AM

Hah, I don't even hate that record. But simakos' thread the other day reminded me how many people like this record.

its like a group of nerds just get together to self indulge their self, just like sound opinions message board.

#20 Slackmo

Slackmo

devil's avocado

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13999 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 09:52 AM

i feel souless and unhappy.

finally, an honest post from Jigga.
Someone Still Loves You Pants McJickson