1700 replies to this topic

#261 Mitchell

Mitchell

dirty old man

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20691 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 08:02 AM

The next line of comedy after is surely "I'm not a virgin since I fucked your mother / sister / dad / grandfather / horse" not really that funny is it.

Jiggapologists love Montana. Shockah.

point.
Nice bowl of Crunchy Nut you got here, pretty expensive as I recall.

#262 54cermak

54cermak

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3007 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 08:08 AM

1. Patty Griffin - Children Running Through
2. Mavis Staples - We'll Never Turn Back
3. Josh Ritter - Historical Conquests of...
4. Avett Brothers - Emotionalism
5. ByrdJones - Radio Soul
6. Mary Gauthier - Between Daylight and Dark
7. Steve Earle - Washington Square Serenade

I wasn't gonna bother voting, but I decided this poll could use a little Patty, for a change.

Hey, more love for the Josh Ritter album is good by me, so yeah.

#263 54cermak

54cermak

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3007 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 08:10 AM

27. Great Lakes Myth Society – Compass Rose Bouquet

Excellent. Glad to see this finding some welcome.

Did you post this in the EOY pimping thread? If so, thanks. I only wish I'd heard it earlier so I could have spent more time with it.

The albums in the 20s were the hardest to rank.

#264 James D

James D

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2299 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 08:26 AM

Is that really that funny?

I chuckled when I read it, I must admit. Not that I dislike you or anything, far from it. But I basically find the whole Montana concept quite funny. Y'know, this guy sits at his computor 24/7, constantly trying think of ways to put down some poor unsuspecting SOMBie.

Obviously this isn't true, but it makes his posts funnier.

#265 Mitchell

Mitchell

dirty old man

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20691 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 08:34 AM

He's above the nerds though.

Anyway enough of this filler.

Anyone heard Parades by Efterklang?
Nice bowl of Crunchy Nut you got here, pretty expensive as I recall.

#266 avec

avec

forever alien

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5859 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 08:58 AM

Anyone heard Parades by Efterklang?

yeah, I didn't really like it. forgot why though. I think it was too cutesy for me.

or wait, too much orchestration. a pancake drowning in syrup.

#267 Elemeno P.T.

Elemeno P.T.

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3950 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 09:04 AM

Not quite sure why people are submitting lists when there's still another 3 weeks of music listening to go. But still, its exciting to see this get under way.

yes, these lists have me cramming to listen to

1. Jens Lekman
2. Spoon
3. Josh Ritter

before the deadline
in that order

any fan of Hitchcock gets my two cents whether you want it or not. B)

I'd start with Ritter from your list of music to cram in. Not entirely sure why, but I'd normally really dig music like Spoon and Lekman but find these two records to be some of the most overrated of the year. Wouldn't blame you for needing to hear for yourself, what with all the votes their getting...but with this little amount of time, you could do better IMO- Akron/Family, Bright Eyes (By far the best thing they've done) Richard Thompson (he of Fairport Convention) are good ones to go along with Ritter. And with little time, these hit me over the head immediately and didn't grow old- The Cribs, The Hives and Les Savy Fav.
Oskar, Oskar Oskar!

#268 Huckle

Huckle

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 09:30 AM

I'm going to put the Jens Lekman disc onto a blank tape, write "demos for new Harry Connick Jr album" and leave copies of it in the bathrooms of bingo halls and rest homes around the country.
---------------------------------
Nobody knows I'm new wave

#269 RadioHitchcock

RadioHitchcock

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1541 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 09:52 AM

Not quite sure why people are submitting lists when there's still another 3 weeks of music listening to go. But still, its exciting to see this get under way.

yes, these lists have me cramming to listen to

1. Jens Lekman
2. Spoon
3. Josh Ritter

before the deadline
in that order

any fan of Hitchcock gets my two cents whether you want it or not. B)

I'd start with Ritter from your list of music to cram in. Not entirely sure why, but I'd normally really dig music like Spoon and Lekman but find these two records to be some of the most overrated of the year. Wouldn't blame you for needing to hear for yourself, what with all the votes their getting...but with this little amount of time, you could do better IMO- Akron/Family, Bright Eyes (By far the best thing they've done) Richard Thompson (he of Fairport Convention) are good ones to go along with Ritter. And with little time, these hit me over the head immediately and didn't grow old- The Cribs, The Hives and Les Savy Fav.

thanks, i started listening to lekman last night and wasn't really getting into it, it seems like something that could take awhile. i'll go to ritter next. bright eyes is already on my list, but i have to disagree about it being the best they've ever done, well, wide awake was my no. 1 in 2005, so it's impossible to top it.

elcorozon's posted list just reminded me that steve earle released a record this year. i remember when i used to be on earle's every word. if this was 2002 i would have bought that on the first day of its release. now trash like lcd soundsystem is topping my list. i should probably give the earle record a listen too, for old times sake.
Sorry, I was being pretentious. Please don't mess with my stars.

#270 Waterloo

Waterloo

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1195 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 09:53 AM

I chuckled when I read it, I must admit. Not that I dislike you or anything, far from it. But I basically find the whole Montana concept quite funny. Y'know, this guy sits at his computor 24/7, constantly trying think of ways to put down some poor unsuspecting SOMBie.

the whole montana concept smells like an all male gym after a day long workout. self-loving, arrogant, predictable, and just not very clever.

#271 Hero

Hero

Wildcard

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8995 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 09:55 AM

Hey, more love for the Josh Ritter album is good by me, so yeah.

yeah, i'm definitely showing love Josh Ritter

we're missing love for Tegan & Sara though :(
"the ladies have been checking me out lately.... could it be the 10 push-ups i've been cranking out every other Sunday? - Perhaps!" -Scrubs

Some people are a lot like slinkys... kinda useless, not really good for anything -but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs

Posted Image

"After much thought into this, I have finally come to a conclusion as to why the ‘Meet the Spartans’ commercial is so funny:

It is an interesting choice to have Sanjaya sing ‘I’m not gay,’ as his final words on earth. As he is plummeting into a seemingly bottomless pit, he does not say ‘dear god no,’ ‘I love you mom,’ or even simply ‘argh.’ He instead takes the moment to reaffirm to the world, in spite of their doubts, that he is not a homosexual. Not only that, but he continues to sing, despite falling to his certain death. The distinct lack of plausibility of this situation is what produces giggles from our mouth. It is the antithesis to the belief that ‘it’s funny because it is true.’
"

#272 Hero

Hero

Wildcard

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8995 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 09:56 AM

can someone try selling Panda Bear "Person Pitch" to me?

thx

I love the album, there's something otherworldly about it. For the first few tracks if you just sit in a comfy chair, close your eyes, and listen, you can imagine yourself in some apocalyptic world (Comfy in Nautica- it's like some futuristic facist style place with flying things whooshing by occasionally and all the people in some induced complacent trance) that crashes down (end of Comfy- something ominous begins to build and then wipes everything out) but then some hidden away processes begin rebuilding (transition to Take Pills with the cog-like sound; something growing beneath the surface). The album transports me to a bunch of great landscapes when I listen for real, it's as if there is some vivid description in the subtleties of the music and the progressions. Also, I feel like the vocals don't even need to be words, with the effect they convey more of an emotion than a meaning. It leaves a lot to interpretation for the listener so each person can take it a different way.

Thank you Haid
"the ladies have been checking me out lately.... could it be the 10 push-ups i've been cranking out every other Sunday? - Perhaps!" -Scrubs

Some people are a lot like slinkys... kinda useless, not really good for anything -but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs

Posted Image

"After much thought into this, I have finally come to a conclusion as to why the ‘Meet the Spartans’ commercial is so funny:

It is an interesting choice to have Sanjaya sing ‘I’m not gay,’ as his final words on earth. As he is plummeting into a seemingly bottomless pit, he does not say ‘dear god no,’ ‘I love you mom,’ or even simply ‘argh.’ He instead takes the moment to reaffirm to the world, in spite of their doubts, that he is not a homosexual. Not only that, but he continues to sing, despite falling to his certain death. The distinct lack of plausibility of this situation is what produces giggles from our mouth. It is the antithesis to the belief that ‘it’s funny because it is true.’
"

#273 54cermak

54cermak

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3007 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 09:57 AM

elcorozon's posted list just reminded me that steve earle released a record this year. i remember when i used to be on earle's every word. if this was 2002 i would have bought that on the first day of its release.

I could have written this myself. Haven't heard many good things about the new one though.

#274 James D

James D

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2299 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 10:00 AM

the whole montana concept smells like an all male gym after a day long workout. self-loving, arrogant, predictable, and just not very clever.

Well untill he starts criticising me, I'll continue to take his posts with a pinch salt :)

Anyway.......

One of the benefits of everyone posting their lists is that we can kinda guage whats doing well or not. Burial started off strong but seems to have dwindled over the last couple of pages. Sadly I see Sound of Silver rearing its head. I reckon it'll be top 5 easily.

Good album but its not that good is it?

#275 elcorazon

elcorazon

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5646 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 10:08 AM

elcorozon's posted list just reminded me that steve earle released a record this year. i remember when i used to be on earle's every word. if this was 2002 i would have bought that on the first day of its release.

I could have written this myself. Haven't heard many good things about the new one though.

kessler will hate the new earle record. I dig it quite a bit myself (#7 on my list). I don't like the Waits' cover AT ALL or the "Satellite Radio" track - grates on my nerves quite a bit. The rest is good, vintage Earle to my ears, heavy on the chick songs, which is fine by me, and a strong batch of them, to boot. Some stylistic changes, sure, but still no doubt it's an Earle record. I suspect you guys'd find something to dig in there. Might not make your list, but wouldn't shock me if it did.

Among Earle fans, there are quite a few who think it's his best work, and a bunch who think he's lost the plot and the majority like me, somewhere in the middle. If you've decided everything after Transcendental Blues is crap, you may as well pass, but if you dug Jerusalem, and most of TRSN then you'll dig this too, methinks.
Sail Away: The Songs of Randy Newman -7.5/10
Dusty Springfield - Dusty in Memphis 8.5/10
Buddy & Julie Miller - Written in Chalk wow, first listen, but great great record! 9.3/10
Justin Townes Earle - Midnight at the Moviessurprisingly great, never picked up his past releases, but this one's knocking my socks off right away, 8.7/10
M. Ward - Hold Time 8.0/10
Neko Case -Middle Cyclone her best I've heard is my initial impression, but too soon to rate, haven't had a really good listen yet 7.8/10

#276 scarymuppet

scarymuppet

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4178 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 10:08 AM

Hey folks, don't forget about A New Chance by The Tough Alliance. So damn good.
BAN ME IF I TALK TO MONTANA

#277 Slackmo

Slackmo

devil's avocado

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13999 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 10:09 AM

I'm going to put the Jens Lekman disc onto a blank tape, write "demos for new Harry Connick Jr album" and leave copies of it in the bathrooms of bingo halls and rest homes around the country.

I love Jens, but this is funny as hell. :P
Someone Still Loves You Pants McJickson

#278 scarymuppet

scarymuppet

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4178 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 10:10 AM

Better rule: No lists from mongs.

Best rule: No lists from virgins.

Bye Mitch.

LOL. Polarizing as he is, how can anyone not love Montana?

The same way people can not love Ann Coulter: easily.

Actually, Montana seems to be exactly like Ann Coulter, vagina dentata and all.
BAN ME IF I TALK TO MONTANA

#279 Waterloo

Waterloo

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1195 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 10:11 AM

Well untill he starts criticising me, I'll continue to take his posts with a pinch salt :)

Anyway.......

One of the benefits of everyone posting their lists is that we can kinda guage whats doing well or not. Burial started off strong but seems to have dwindled over the last couple of pages. Sadly I see Sound of Silver rearing its head. I reckon it'll be top 5 easily.

Good album but its not that good is it?

it won't be in my top 5. i really like it, but there were albums that i listened to and liked a whole lot more than to LCD.

#280 tweed

tweed

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3857 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 10:15 AM

27. Great Lakes Myth Society – Compass Rose Bouquet

Excellent. Glad to see this finding some welcome.

Did you post this in the EOY pimping thread? If so, thanks. I only wish I'd heard it earlier so I could have spent more time with it.

Yeah I did. Really hoping a people give it a listen. It's gonna be high on my list.
Twilight Revival
Friday, March 13th - Thornwood Lounge (Wood Dale,IL)
Tuesday, April 21 - Abbey Pub (Chicago, IL)

Web Site I MySpace