1700 replies to this topic

#301 Vivian Darkbloom

Vivian Darkbloom

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4426 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 12:43 PM

i enjoy Clientele a lot, but for whatever reason didn't get into this new record that much...

Strange Geometry is amazing

How many times have you listened, Solace? This was exactly my initial reaction- record disappointed me in light of the incredible Strange Geometry- but I've really come to appreciate the new on its own merits.
The God of language forgives all crimes. -W.H. Auden ***** Anthony B, Independent, March 16 Black Mountain, Rickshaw Stop, March 20 Earthless, Wooden Shjips, Cafe du Nord, March 28 Mastodon, Kylesa, Intronaut, Great American Music Hall, April 19 Opeth, Enslaved, Regency Grand Ballroom, May 14 Sun Kil Moon, Great American Music Hall, May 29

#302 Rob Gordon

Rob Gordon

sha la la, man

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8669 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 12:45 PM

i enjoy Clientele a lot, but for whatever reason didn't get into this new record that much...

How many times have you listened, Solace? This was exactly my initial reaction- record disappointed me in light of the incredible Strange Geometry- but I've really come to appreciate the new on its own merits.

Yeah, as I said in another thread I think this one has much stronger songs.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#303 solace

solace

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9404 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 12:48 PM

hmm... probably only half a dozen times?

admittedly not a ton, but it didn't really appeal to me as much as past Clientele records for a few reasons. it's not bad, but i don't know if it'll make my list. i should revisit it one last time.

#304 Waylon

Waylon

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4390 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 01:23 PM

not dissimilar to Kings Of Convenience in that they play sparse pop music with an acoustic bent.
The production on this new one in particular gives it a real 60's top 40 feel. It's beautiful throughout. It was without doubt my most played released of the year. And that's the criteria on how I try to put my list in order.

Wistful, literate and autumnal Beach Boys British chamber pop with lovely string arrangements. It's a keeper.

Thanks guys. Your descriptions have won me over. I'll be sure to check this out.

Still waiting for Slackmo to delete this thread.

#305 vamos

vamos

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2018 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 01:26 PM

The Boxer really needs to make top 5

where do we gooo new?!!?

#306 solace

solace

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9404 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 01:28 PM

it's just Boxer, no The, but agreed. :)

#307 vamos

vamos

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2018 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 01:36 PM

I only say that because I have this strong feeling that it isn't going to. It's probably one of the few records this year that will truly be viewed as a classic years from now.

where do we gooo new?!!?

#308 54cermak

54cermak

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3007 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 01:37 PM

hmm... probably only half a dozen times?

admittedly not a ton, but it didn't really appeal to me as much as past Clientele records for a few reasons. it's not bad, but i don't know if it'll make my list. i should revisit it one last time.

I think this band keeps getting better and better. Their early work left me very unimpressed. Strange Geometry really blew my mind, and this album is a slight upgrade over that already high water mark for me.

#309 solace

solace

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9404 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 01:41 PM

I only say that because I have this strong feeling that it isn't going to. It's probably one of the few records this year that will truly be viewed as a classic years from now.

i'd say it's a lock on top 10, after that hard to say. it's my #2 so i'm doing my part ;)

#310 NewGrass

NewGrass

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 996 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 01:44 PM

no love for Thurston Moore?
aleyna> i just scare off hipsters by putting my cigarette out in their eyes
aleyna> that teaches them not to get in my way.

"Before you play two notes learn how to play one note - and don't play one note unless you've got a reason to play it." - Mark Hollis
Posted Image
http://rateyourmusic.com/~Efourman

#311 emgee

emgee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 01:47 PM

1) Om "Pilgrimage" 2) Stars of the Lid "And Their Refinement of the Decline" 3) The National "Boxer" 4) A Whisper in the Noise "Dry Land" 5) "Battles "Mirrored" 6) Wolves in the Throne Room "Two Hunters" 7) Oceansize "Frames" 8) Jesu "Conqueror" 9) Moving Mountains "Pneuma" 10) Caspian "The Four Trees" 11) Airiel "Battle of Sealand" 12) Neurosis "Given to the Rising" 13) Deerhunter "Cryptograms" 14) The Field "From Here we go Sublime" 15) Explosions in the Sky "All of the Sudden..." 16) Earth "Hib" 17) LCD Soundsystem "Sound of Silver" 18) Warhammer 48k "An Ethereal Oracle" 19) Six Organs of Admittamce "Shelter From the Ash" 20) Eluvium "Copia" *Still need to hear Burial before deadline

#312 BobtheSquid

BobtheSquid

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3733 posts

He'll go top 10 on my list, easily.

#313 solace

solace

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9404 posts

it'll be on my list... somewhere

not too high, but it's a pretty cool record.

#314 Elemeno P.T.

Elemeno P.T.

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3951 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 01:48 PM

Yeah, as I said in another thread I think this one has much stronger songs.

Shiiite- gonna have to add this to the three other last minute albums to hear. Liked Strange Geometry.
Oskar, Oskar Oskar!

#315 solace

solace

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9404 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 01:48 PM

4) A Whisper in the Noise "Dry Land"

awesome!

i don't know that it'll make my list, but glad to see they are known outside of MN

#316 Huckle

Huckle

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 01:52 PM

I think Alligator will be the album they're remembered by. I find Boxer to be almost totally bereft of excitement, while I played the absolute hell out of Alligator and Dirty Songs and loved those albums a lot. I've really tried with Boxer, but... I just got nothing.
---------------------------------
Nobody knows I'm new wave

#317 Rob Gordon

Rob Gordon

sha la la, man

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8669 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 01:53 PM

it'll be on my list... somewhere

not too high, but it's a pretty cool record.

not enough hours in the day to absorb them all...though many more than the average Joe, right Sombies...that's what draws us here Jigga...we have a music addiction.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#318 Hans Christian Anderson

Hans Christian Anderson

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4919 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 01:56 PM

re: boxer, i hope solace is right about the top 5 placement. however, w/ the lists in so far its not doing nearly as well as spoon, jens or a few others. hopefully that'll change as lists continue to roll in (it's my #1 by a stretch), but i'm still skeptical.

#319 solace

solace

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9404 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 01:57 PM

I think Alligator will be the album they're remembered by. I find Boxer to be almost totally bereft of excitement, while I played the absolute hell out of Alligator and Dirty Songs and loved those albums a lot. I've really tried with Boxer, but... I just got nothing.

it's a lot more subtle, but the melodies are just as strong if not stronger. and as an all around cohesive album that flows incredibly well, Boxer certainly wins in that aspect.

i guess if you're into The National for stuff like Lit Up, Mr. November, Abel, etc., I can see how you'd be disappointed with Boxer, but that's not the case for me (i love those songs, just saying...)

Alligator definitely has the better singles, i'll certainly give you that. As an album the only song on that record that is a weak link for me is Val Jester. they should have put Driver, Surprise Me on their instead

#320 vamos

vamos

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2018 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 01:58 PM

Yeah. They'll definitely be remembered for Alligator. Boxer though is like In Utero... if you get the comparison.

Maybe not. Boxer has some excitement, mainly in the lyrics and the atmosphere. Try listening to it again while in a severely depressed time in your life. You might like it more then...

What is all the talk of God Save the Clientele? I still haven't heard it. I liked Strange Geometry though.

where do we gooo new?!!?