1700 replies to this topic

#561 killerparties

killerparties

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1876 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 10:54 AM

there needs to be a separate Montana Discussion thread.
Posted Image

#562 solace

solace

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9404 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 10:55 AM

After last night, this needs to be said:

DON'T PAY ATTENTION TO MONTANA

He's a sad man who masturbates to people getting angry at him on the internet. He doesn't understand how logic works and has bad taste in music. He is only happy when others aren't. He's going to call your list boring until it has Josh Ritter in the top 10 (boring shit, by the way). Pay him no mind, and you'll enjoy the board much more.

i'm just pissed he's named after my homestate where i spent 18 of my first 20 years growing up :lol:

#563 James D

James D

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2299 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 10:58 AM

So............. I'm sitting here in Uni, trying to complete and assignment. I'll be here for another 5-6 hours, and just can't get annoyed. Reason? I'm listening to the Liars album and its sublime. In particular the last track which is godlike.

#564 Waylon

Waylon

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4390 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 10:59 AM

Is it really that hard to ignore him, or distract him with a Pink Floyd/Eagles/Of Montreal thread?

Still waiting for Slackmo to delete this thread.

#565 brainstorm

brainstorm

Hipster

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2241 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 11:03 AM

1) The White Stripes - Icky Thump
2) Ryan Adams - Easy Tiger
3) Richard Thompson - Sweet Warrior
4) Just One More: A Tribute to Larry Brown
5) Neil Young - Performance Archives 3: Massey Hall, 1971

We're allowed to criticize eachother, so I'll say this: your list is a piece of shit

we are allowed to criticize one another, but this isn't criticism. It's assassination. Substantiate. Justify. Otherwise, you're name calling.

And I really don't care what you think of my list. If Richard Thompson and Neil Young and a Bloodshot Records comp and The White Stripes and Ryan Adams all qualify as shit in your world, I am so glad not to be you.

You see the difference? I attacked you by saying I'm glad not to be you, but I stated WHY.

Get in the game, dumbshit.
"So?" - Dick Cheney

#566 Nick

Nick

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6011 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 11:11 AM

Why are people devoting so much attention to nylad?

#567 brainstorm

brainstorm

Hipster

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2241 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 11:22 AM

well, I probably ought to reply elsewhere, but as you asked...

After Front Parlour Music, his album of tributes to folk balads and pub songs, which didn't do much for me, Sweet Warrior is a return to his folk-rock/guitar hero band, which is the side of himI enjoy much more. I have tosay, the problem with nly having listened to afew new albums this year is that I have to give the albummuch higher praise than it may deserve. It breaks no new ground. You've got your vaguely Eastern sounding drone rock (Needle and Thread); your '50s dancehall raveup (Bad Monkey), your gentle acoustic balladry (She Sang Angels to Rest); your stately closing ballads (Sunset Song). Thompson is a lot like Steve Earle, actually, in that his records rarely surprise and are almost predictable in terms of the styles he'll work within and explore, but if you like either one's overall sound, or guitar playing in Thompson's case, or lyrics, there'll be something for you. It's a good record, but if I HAD listened to 30 or 40 records released this year, I don't know if it would have made the list. It reminds me of Earle's El Corazon or Transcendental Blues - solid catalogue albums that varying critics will rate between three and four stars depending on their level of love for him.
"So?" - Dick Cheney

#568 Melted Cheese

Melted Cheese

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1655 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 11:24 AM

Wait, is this the thread where we post our lists of albums that we liked from 2007? wtf guys, you all suck. 1. Panda Bear - Person Pitch 2. Animal Collective - Strawberry Jam 3. Stars of the Lid - And their Refinement of the Decline 4. Jens Lekman - Night over Kortedala 5. Vampire Weekend - Blue CD-R 6. Of Montreal - Hissing Fauna are you the Destroyer? 7. Sunset Rubdown - Random Spirit Lover 8. Spoon - GaGaGaGaGa 9. The National - Boxer 10. M.I.A. - Kala 11. LCD Soundsystem - Sound of Silver 12. Radiohead - In Rainbows 13. Caribou - Andorra 14. Andrew Bird - Armchair Apocrypha 15. Dinosaur Jr. - Beyond 16. Feist - The Reminder 17. King Khan and the Shrines - What Is!?!?! 18. Clap Your Hands Say Yeah - Some Loud Thunder 19. The Shins - Wincing the Night Away 20. Pharaoh Monche - Desire I don't respect Jigga on an intellectual level
Posted Image

#569 vamos

vamos

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2018 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 11:26 AM

We're allowed to criticize eachother, so I'll say this: your list is a piece of shit

we are allowed to criticize one another, but this isn't criticism. It's assassination. Substantiate. Justify. Otherwise, you're name calling.

And I really don't care what you think of my list. If Richard Thompson and Neil Young and a Bloodshot Records comp and The White Stripes and Ryan Adams all qualify as shit in your world, I am so glad not to be you.

You see the difference? I attacked you by saying I'm glad not to be you, but I stated WHY.

WAWAWAWAWAWAWAWAWAWAWAWA

None of it "qualifies as shit" in my world. I merely made the simple, just, and ultimately correct statement that your list is, and I quote, "a piece of shit."

You were right though, it needs a why:

If Richard Thompson and Neil Young and a Bloodshot Records compilation and The White Stripes and Ryan Adams all qualify as "Better Than Every Other Recording Released in the Year 2007" in your world, I am FUCKING so glad not to be you.

where do we gooo new?!!?

#570 James D

James D

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2299 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 11:28 AM

Wait, is this the thread where we post our lists of albums that we liked from 2007? wtf guys, you all suck.

qft

2. Animal Collective - Strawberry Jam

Excellent choice. I really do enjoy this album. Favourite track?

#571 brainstorm

brainstorm

Hipster

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2241 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 11:29 AM

Why are people devoting so much attention to nylad?

it's either my cool-ass avatar or severe boredom. Why would you care?
"So?" - Dick Cheney

#572 vamos

vamos

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2018 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 11:30 AM

Strawberry Jam kills Feels I think. Unsolved Mysteries is wonderful.

where do we gooo new?!!?

#573 Rob Gordon

Rob Gordon

sha la la, man

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8669 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 11:32 AM

I don't know why the Andrew Bird album didn't hit me this time. Go figure. BYW...Street Hassle available on iTunes now.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#574 brainstorm

brainstorm

Hipster

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2241 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 11:32 AM

WAWAWAWAWAWAWAWAWAWAWAWA

None of it "qualifies as shit" in my world. I merely made the simple, just, and ultimately correct statement that your list is, and I quote, "a piece of shit."

If Richard Thompson and Neil Young and a Bloodshot Records compilation and The White Stripes and Ryan Adams all qualify as "Better Than Every Other Recording Released in the Year 2007" in your world, I am FUCKING so glad not to be you.

Oh my lord, you ARE a dumbshit. Have you somehow missed the entirely ridiculous sub thread about how these are the only new albums I bought this year? In any case, you still fail to justify your original position by explaining how and why my selections are a piece of shit.
"So?" - Dick Cheney

#575 vamos

vamos

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2018 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 11:34 AM

WAWAWAWAWAWAWAWAWAWAWAWA

Oh my lord, you ARE a dumbshit. Have you somehow missed the entirely ridiculous sub thread about how these are the only new albums I bought this year? In any case, you still fail to justify your original position by explaining how and why my selections are a piece of shit.

Yeah, I saw that shit. But I LOVE TO FIGHT

where do we gooo new?!!?

#576 theremin

theremin

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6376 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 11:35 AM

White Stripes will probably make my top 50

#577 Rob Gordon

Rob Gordon

sha la la, man

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8669 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 11:36 AM

Enough with the flame throwing folks....back to submissions and comments on such lists.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#578 Slackmo

Slackmo

devil's avocado

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13999 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 11:46 AM

I don't respect Jigga on an intellectual level

Jigga doesn't have an intellectual level
Someone Still Loves You Pants McJickson

#579 Jess

Jess

Mistress of the bored

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5724 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 11:47 AM

i can't read this entire thread. did solace post his list yet?

i did not yet Jess. have a few things from earlier this year that i'm hoping to revisit first ;)

please to revisit and post list soon. i need to know what else i should listen to this year. unless radiohead is in your top 10. then you suck too :lol:

#580 Seamus

Seamus

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5301 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 11:47 AM

I don't respect Jigga on an intellectual level

Jigga doesn't have an intellectual level

ba-dum, ching!