18. The Field - From Here We Go Sublime
19. Baroness - The Red Album
20. Kieran Hebden & Steve Reid - Tongues
21. The Angels of Light - We Are Him
22. Shape of Broad Minds - Craft of the Lost Art
23. Pantha du Prince - This Bliss
24. Radiohead - In Rainbows
25. Arve Henriksen - Strjřn

Burial, Angels of Light and Pantha, nice one! Chromophobia probably should've been nearer mine, but too late now...
Posted ImagePosted Image

#1202 James D

James D

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2299 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 06:48 AM

I'll admit I raise an eyebrow at the primarily metal lists in this thread. Not because of genre specification, but because I find modern metal to be a joyless, amelodic chore in nearly all cases. Can't fathom the thought process required to digest/enjoy that music on a daily basis. [/tangent]

That's fine, to each their own. But to dismiss it all as amelodic is a big mistake...this is something I have to continually beat over the heads of old-schoolers my age.

Exactly. Look at the albums which are topping the 'metal heads' of this forum. Baroness, Dillinger Escape Plan, Alcest, BTBAM etc. Hardly joyless and amelodic. These are albums which have melody and hooks a plenty.

But yeah, an overdone topic.

#1203 Alky 2009

Alky 2009

lover's rock

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4533 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 08:45 AM

19. Pela – Anytown Graffiti

32. Devendra Banhart – Smokey Rolls Down Thunder Canyon

42. Maximo Park – Our Earthly Pleasures

83. Ted Leo & The Pharmacists – Living with the Living

4 records in your list i totally forgot to put in my list, that Pela would have been top 30 maybe...

Glad to hear someone else out there is enjoying that Pela, great little record. I have to thank KEXP for that discovery.
"Mellow... but not smooth... kinda shitty."
"Jimmy Buffett..."

Posted Image

#1204 Elemeno P.T.

Elemeno P.T.

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3950 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 09:06 AM

Yeah I'm just gonna say it...

I really like montana's list.

Aw, fuck. Maybe I should actually listen to that Olsen record.

Yeah...for all the Montana backlash, you'd think he is a cold, cynical bastard. I gotta believe it says something about the guy that the central theme of his #1 record is finding hope and beauty and joy in a hard world. The record is all heart. It's damn good.
Oskar, Oskar Oskar!

#1205 plastic

plastic

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 09:21 AM

Been looking forward to your list, and I'm definitely not disappointed. With your "obscure" taste, glad to see things like Burial, The National, and LCD didn't fail to make your list. I need to listen, and listen well. to that Shape of Broad Minds. It's so long that it approaches impenetrable density.

Thanks! I haven't made a list of my favorite records of the year in about 3 or 4 years now, but with all the talk around here I just caved. Typically I'm someone who doesn't like to compare art but I decided, fuck it, this is what people do with pop music.

Definitely a few that I wish I could've fit into my list, namely, Neurosis, The Fiery Furnaces, Efdemin, Splint! and the surprisingly compelling, new Yellow Swans.

#1206 Asher Ford

Asher Ford

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1172 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 10:01 AM

One thing I just remembered: I haven't been shouting about how great the new John Doe record is. For anybody who likes the Alisson Krauss/Robert Plant, or who wants a really cool fusion of Rock and Roots music, it's a must hear. Will easily make my top 10. <object width="300" height="80"><param name="movie" value="http://media.imeem.c...></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://media.imeem.c...OUz/aus=false/" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="300" height="80" wmode="transparent"></embed></object>

#1207 no magnets

no magnets

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 10:17 AM

this might as well be my list. i tinkered with it plenty over the weekend. i listened to just about everything in the last two weeks, hoping that something would resonate more or less with me because i really have not had a clear #1 all year. i feel like on another day everything could be +/- 2 spots. when it came down to setting in stone, it's basically in order of what i've listened to most. and i'd be willing to blurb. 1. David Vandervelde - The Moonstation House Band 2. Spoon - Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga 3. Café Tacuba - Sino 4. Field Music - Tones of Town 5. Earthless - Rhythms From a Cosmic Sky 6. The National - Boxer 7. Arcade Fire - Neon Bible 8. Super Furry Animals - Hey Venus! 9. Grinderman 10. Richard Hawley - Lady's Bridge 11. Bobby Conn - King for a Day 12. Simian Mobile Disco - Attack Decay Sustain Release 13. Explosions in the Sky - All of a Sudden I Miss Everyone 14. Ryan Adams & the Cardinals - Easy Tiger 15. Bonde do Rolę - With Lasers 16. !!! - Myth Takes 17. LCD Soundsystem - Sound of Silver 18. Maxďmo Park - Our Earthly Pleasures 19. Digitalism - Idealism 20. Wilco - Sky Blue Sky 21. Goodnight Loving - Crooked Lake 22. Pinback - Autumn of the Seraphs 23. Okkervil River - The Stage Names 24. Robbers on High Street - Grand Animals 25. Voxtrot

#1208 Soundscape

Soundscape

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1304 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 10:34 AM

this is fucked up. It's considered an LP, yet it's not eligible if the times are accurate on rym. It clocks in at 21 minutes

Posted Image

#1209 Johnny's Shack

Johnny's Shack

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1046 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 11:17 AM

I've got so many more I'm not going to hear in time. Still 20+ on my computer I haven't gotten to, another 20 easy I never grabbed, and I wanted to listen to my top 70 all once more before the due date. Grargh.

I feel you. Too much music. Too little time. I still need to do some serious relistening and reevaluating of all the shit I acquired during the first eight or nine months of the year, not to mention the recent stuff I haven't heard, or haven't heard enough. I can't imagine at this late stage I'd hear something that I could immediately appreciate enough to throw in the top 10 or 15. The funny thing about rushing to publish these before the year is over is that most peoples' lists would be subject to heavy revision a few months or even a few weeks from now. I don't feel like I have a definite grasp on an album's quality until a fair amount of time has passed and I'm able to revisit it and see how it compares to my initial times with it. But you gotta be timely. I don't think anyone would be interested in a Best Albums of '07 list published in May of '08.

#1210 MattDrufke

MattDrufke

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2889 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 11:30 AM

Oh, bite me.

no wonder you didn't have any friends in high school.

Though I disrespect your GBMS view, if you're making reference to my comedy, I now love you.

www,twitter.com/ihatemattdrufke

www.facebook.com/mattdrufke

Listen to my album, This Is Supposed To Be Fun, on Spotify, or buy it on any of the major online music services.

#1211 Diesel

Diesel

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1410 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 11:52 AM

I'll admit I raise an eyebrow at the primarily metal lists in this thread. Not because of genre specification, but because I find modern metal to be a joyless, amelodic chore in nearly all cases. Can't fathom the thought process required to digest/enjoy that music on a daily basis. [/tangent]

That's fine, to each their own. But to dismiss it all as amelodic is a big mistake...this is something I have to continually beat over the heads of old-schoolers my age.

Exactly. Look at the albums which are topping the 'metal heads' of this forum. Baroness, Dillinger Escape Plan, Alcest, BTBAM etc. Hardly joyless and amelodic. These are albums which have melody and hooks a plenty.

But yeah, an overdone topic.

See, I can't really get on Yancy's case about this post, because his views about modern metal are an awful lot like my views about modern hip-hop. I'm sure someone (Deej or his ilk) can recommend me like 30 hh albums but I'd probably not be crazy about any of them, though I loved hh in the past/as a kid, just as Yancy loved metal once. Different people hear different things ... so while we may hear hooks, melodies, etc. in metal, obviously he isn't. And that's perfectly fine.

And, as someone who had a metal-centric list (and often does), I can honestly say those WERE/ARE my favorite 2007 albums. Just a matter of taste; its not like I'm opposed to other things, those other things just don't move me as much as metal does. And just within that genre alone there's a ton of variety: see Sickpup's Chinese food post. (And in real life I'm shockingly normal, by the way. Sort of. But I certainly don't have a mullet/long hair, drive a Camaro, am a belligerant asshole, etc. Though I can see where those ideas/stereotypes come from _ yes, a lot of metal fans are huge fucking meatheads _ I don't think any of the heshers here engage with metal in any way beyond musically, i.e. not the "lifestyle"/"attitude" aspects.)

#1212 RadioHitchcock

RadioHitchcock

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1541 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 12:19 PM

Offical 2007 Album List
list ain’t so hot so I’ll doll it up with section headings and large photos to distract the readers

With Burning Intrigue
but not quite contenders

Posted Image

17. The Postmarks – The Postmarks
16. The Narrator – All That To The Wall
15. Jens Lekman – Night Falls over Kortedala
14. Alcest – Souvenirs d’un Autre Monde
13. Loudon Wainwright III – Strange Weirdos: Music from and Inspired by the Film “Knocked Up”

Love em/Hate em
let's just be friends

Posted Image

12. Of Montreal – Hissing Fauna, Are You The Destroyer?

The Let-me-down’s
couldn’t muster up to the heroic expectations based on prior release

Posted Image

11. Neil Young – Chrome Dreams II
10. Andrew Bird – Armchair Apocrypha
9. Bright Eyes -- Cassadaga
8. The White Stripes – Icky Thump

The Holding Pen
pending final verdict

Posted Image

7. Kanye West - Graduation
6. The Redwalls – The Redwalls
5. Spoon – Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga

Front-to-Back Classics
the real deals

Posted Image

4. The High Strung – Get The Guests
3. 1900’s – Cold & Kind
2. Art Brut – It’s A Bit Complicated

Gem In a Minefield
Posted Image

1. LCD Soundsystem - Sound of Silver
Sorry, I was being pretentious. Please don't mess with my stars.

#1213 DrJimmy

DrJimmy

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6912 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 12:23 PM

LCD might just take this. I'd be extremely happy about that.

#1214 Diesel

Diesel

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1410 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 12:24 PM

The Let-me-down’s

The Holding Pen
pending final verdict

So, if I'm reading this correctly, you've just admitted that you're not too hot on the albums you're ranking as 8-11 and you're not sure how you feel about numbers 5-7, yet you still put them on the official list? :blink:

#1215 RadioHitchcock

RadioHitchcock

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1541 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 12:31 PM

The Let-me-down’s

The Holding Pen
pending final verdict

So, if I'm reading this correctly, you've just admitted that you're not too hot on the albums you're ranking as 8-11 and you're not sure how you feel about numbers 5-7, yet you still put them on the official list? :blink:

I am fans of 8-11 and feel they are all great but don't live up to the past.
I had I'm Wide Awake It's Morning and Living With War as my number 1 in prior years, so it was next to impossible for them to live up to my expectations.

5-7 I have only been listening to for a few weeks or so and i love them now but don't know how they'll hold up, right now they are 5-7, in January Hissing Fauna was my number 1 but I don't listen to it much now.

anyway, it's impossible to rank these things.
everyone does it different.
Sorry, I was being pretentious. Please don't mess with my stars.

#1216 Diesel

Diesel

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1410 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 12:34 PM

The Let-me-down’s

The Holding Pen
pending final verdict

I had I'm Wide Awake It's Morning and Living With War as my number 1 in prior years, so it was next to impossible for them to live up to my expectations.

5-7 I have only been listening to for a few weeks or so and i love them now but don't know how they'll hold up, right now they are 5-7, in January Hissing Fauna was my number 1 but I don't listen to it much now.

Ah. Okay. It just sounded like you were ranking things you didn't even like. Thanks for the clarification.

#1217 UselessRocker

UselessRocker

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3847 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 12:37 PM

I'm stalling for as long as I can to do my list. It's a futile effort. Even if you gave me another year, I'm not sure I'd have time to listen to all the '07 releases I'd like to. And is it fair that I've had over a year to listen to and form an opinion on the Shins record, while I'm wondering whether or not records I've heard for the first time today should make my list? Does recency hurt or help records? The sad/funny thing is that there's a part of me that takes this list-making so seriously. Well, at least seriously enough to whine about the process while I'm at work. I'm still going back and forth and back on my top 3's order.
"LETS GET SOME FUCKING ENERGY UP IN THIS BITCH MOTHERFUCKERS! You are not resigned to a fate of slow, painful death. The world is not as Radiohead and Portishead see it. "Oh the suffering! Oh the suffering, I feel the weight of the world and all it's pain" FUCK YOU......Be the grizzly, tear some shit up, rather than tearing yourself up." -- Montana, 12/21/08

#1218 Elemeno P.T.

Elemeno P.T.

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3950 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 12:39 PM

The Let-me-down’s

The Holding Pen
pending final verdict

I get it. These lists are fun...I'm always compelled to read and participate. That said, I don't think a year end music list can ever be a very accurate source for the collective opinion because the time of year the records are released plays too big a role in how the record will fare.
Oskar, Oskar Oskar!

#1219 _____________

din da da...

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13368 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 01:08 PM

19. Pela – Anytown Graffiti
32. Devendra Banhart – Smokey Rolls Down Thunder Canyon
42. Maximo Park – Our Earthly Pleasures
83. Ted Leo & The Pharmacists – Living with the Living

4 records in your list i totally forgot to put in my list, that Pela would have been top 30 maybe...

Glad to hear someone else out there is enjoying that Pela, great little record. I have to thank KEXP for that discovery.

if you don't have this EP from last year, seek it out. it's my favorite thing by them... fucking EPs... i love 'em.
Posted Image

#1220 Sid Hartha

Sid Hartha

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4401 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 01:12 PM

1. Dungen – Tio Bitar
2. Robert Pollard - Coast To Coast Carpet Of Love
3. Robert Pollard - Standard Gargoyle Decisions
4. King Khan & The Shrines – What Is?!