#61 Mitchell

Mitchell

dirty old man

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20694 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 11:15 AM

It's not the 46th best album ever.
Nice bowl of Crunchy Nut you got here, pretty expensive as I recall.

#62 theremin

theremin

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6376 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 11:25 AM

It's not the 46th best album ever.

Yeah, but the rest of the list you posted are some of the WORST albums ever, and I felt like that one was getting slighted unfairly.

#63 r.i.p.

r.i.p.

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2460 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 11:40 AM

http://www.avrev.com/rock-albums/ Not 2007 but one of the worst lists I've ever seen.

Pretty good list. And of course an AV site is going to have Dark Side at #1. It's *the* record you go to when testing a new soundsystem. Huge, organic sound.

There's a thing called "classical music." Saying Pink Floyd is the best for new stereos is like saying you MUST WATCH SPIDER MAN 3 on your new Blu Ray because of the effects. It's basically the Star Wars of records.

#64 theremin

theremin

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6376 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 11:59 AM

It's basically the Star Wars of records.

Except Star Wars doesn't make me punch Pink Floyd in the gullet.

#65 Montana

Montana

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11536 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 12:08 PM

http://www.avrev.com/rock-albums/ Not 2007 but one of the worst lists I've ever seen.

Pretty good list. And of course an AV site is going to have Dark Side at #1. It's *the* record you go to when testing a new soundsystem. Huge, organic sound.

There's a thing called "classical music." Saying Pink Floyd is the best for new stereos is like saying you MUST WATCH SPIDER MAN 3 on your new Blu Ray because of the effects. It's basically the Star Wars of records.

Dark Side is widely considered to be the finest engineered/produced rock record of all time. It still sounds incredible, and that's why it's chosen to test new systems, as well as classical music.

No one walks into a store and says "I want to hear the new Okervill River record to test out these $10,000 speakers".
Every Sunday morning I wake up
I see you by your dresser doing your make-up
Fluttering a Chinese fan in a Knoxville fashion
All last night you tossed and turned
Your body was hotter than the night Richmond burned
You say you had a bad nightmare about tractor trailers crashing
- The Felice Brothers

#66 DrJimmy

DrJimmy

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6912 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 12:16 PM

I'd rather test a system with Peter Gabriel's Security, which is one of my favorite albums of all time. Much more interesting Dark Side.

#67 Mitchell

Mitchell

dirty old man

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20694 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 05:23 AM

Time Top 10 Songs: 1. Rehab by Amy Winehouse 2. 1 2 3 4 by Feist 3. Umbrella by Rihanna 4. All My Friends by LCD Soundsystem 5. Jigsaw Falling Into Place by Radiohead 6. I Get Money by 50 Cent 7. Hey There Delilah by Plain White T's 8. Me Llaman Calle by Manu Chao 9. Potential Break-up Song by Aly & AJ 10. Baby Fratelli by the Fratellis Albums: 1. Amy Winehouse, Back to Black 2. Radiohead, In Rainbows 3. Feist, The Reminder 4. Miranda Lambert, Crazy Ex-Girlfriend 5. LCD Soundsystem, Sound of Silver 6. Spoon, Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga 7. Battles, Mirrored 8. Robert Palmer and Alison Krauss, Raising Sand 9. M.I.A., Kala NME's out today, shop didn't have it so later today.

#68 Mitchell

Mitchell

dirty old man

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20694 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 05:50 AM

NME ALbums 50 Beirut - The Flying Club Cup 49 Interpol - Our Love TO Admire 48 The View - Hats Off To The Buskers 47 Enter Shikari - Take To The Skies 46 Kaiser Chiefs - Yours Truly Angry Mob 45 !!! - Myth Takes 44 Gruff Ryhs - Candylion 43 Foo Fighters - Echoes, Silence Patience and Grace 42 Patrick Wolf - The Magic Position 41 Menomena - Friend and Foe 40 EL-P - I'll Sleep When I'm Dead 39 Jeffery Lewis - 12 Crass Songs 38 Justice - † 37 Jamie T - Panic Prevention 36 Holy Fuck - s/t 35 Super Furry Animals - Hey Venus! 34 New Young Pony Club - Fantastic Playroom 33 Simian Mobile Disco - Attack Decay Sustain Release 32 Grinderman - s/t 31 The Pigeon Detectives - Wait For Me 30 QOTSA - Era Vulgaris 29 Lethal Bizzle - Back To Bizznizz 28 Bright Eyes - Cassadaga 27 The Horrors - Strange House 26 Kate Nash - Made of Bricks 25 The Hold Steady - Boys and Girls In America 24 The Maccabees - Colour It In 23 Maps - We Can Create 22 Black Lips - Good Bad Not Evil 21 The Enemy - We'll Live and Die In These Towns 20 Bloc Party - A Weekend In The City 19 Richard Hawley - Lady's Bridge 18 ? - The Good, The Bad & The Queen 17 Future of The Left - Curses 16 The Coral - Roots and Echoes 15 The White Stripes - Icky Thump 14 Babyshambles - Shotter's Nation 13 PJ Harvey - White Chalk 12 The Shins - Wincing The Night Away 11 LCD Soundsytem - Sound Of Silver 10 Battles - Mirrored 9 The Cribs - Man's Needs, Women's Needs, Whatever 8 Biffy Clyro - Puzzle 7 MIA - Kala 6 Kings of Leon - Because Of The Times 5 Les Savy Fav - Let's Stay Friends 4 Arcade Fire - Neon Bible 3 Radiohead - In Rainbows 2 Arctic Monkeys - Favourite Worst Nightmare 1 Klaxons - Myths of The Near Future

#69 Mitchell

Mitchell

dirty old man

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20694 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 07:39 AM

Tracks 50 Biffy Clyro - Living Is A problem Because Everything Dies 49 Los Campesinos! - You! Me! Dancing! 48 QOTSA - Sick, Sick, Sick 47 Patrick Wolf - The Magic Position 46 Richard Hawley - Tonight The Streets Are Ours 45 Black Lips - Bad Kids 44 CSS - Off The Hook 43 Kate Nash - Foundations 42 The Enemy - It's Not OK 41 MIA - Boyz 40 The Horrors - She Is The New Thing 39 Late of The Pier - Bathroom Gurgle 38 Lightspeed Champion - Galaxy Of The Lost 37 The White Stripes - Icky Thump 36 The Hives - Tick Tick Boom 35 Bloc Party - The Prayer 34 XX Teens - Darlin' 33 Cold War Kids - Hang Me Out To Dry 32 Those Dancing Days - Those Dancing Days 31 Gallows - Abandon Ship 30 Does It Offend You, Yeah? - Let's Make Out 29 Jarvis - Don't Let Him Waste Your Time 28 Björk Earth Intruders 27 Howling Bells - Low Happening 26 Arcade Fire - Keep The Car Running 25 Kings of Leon - Charmer 24 The Gossip - Standing In The Way of Control 23 Justice - D.A.N.C.E. 22 Klaxons - It's Not Over Yet 21 SFA - Run Away 20 Dizzee Rascal - Sirens 19 Santogold - LES Artistes 18 Hadouken! - That Boy That Girl 17 MIA - Jimmy 16 Arctic Monkeys - Fluorescent Adolescent 15 Battles - Atlas 14 Black Lips - O Katrina! 13 Amy Winehouse - Back To Black 12 Foals - Hummer 11 Grinderman - No Pussy Blues 10 LCD Soundsystem - North American Scum 9 Arcade Fire - Intervention 8 Foals - Mathletics 7 Arctic Monkeys - Brianstorm 6 The Ting Tings - That's Not My Name 5 Rihanna - Umbrella 4 The Teenagers - Homecoming 3 The Cribs's - Men's Needs 2 Glasvegas - Daddy's Gone 1 Klaxons - Golden Skans

#70 Mitchell

Mitchell

dirty old man

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20694 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 07:43 AM

Last artist to win both was Prince in 1986.

#71 throughsilver

throughsilver

What happened last night?

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5508 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 08:01 AM

Tracks

50 Biffy Clyro - Living Is A problem Because Everything Dies

Mental. So not the best Biffy song of the year.

Posted Image

#72 falling and laughing

falling and laughing

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1089 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 08:54 AM

Last artist to win both was Prince in 1986.

UK guitar music has really fallen off the past two or so years, eh? Considering the NME's aesthetic, it's hard to argue against a Klaxons sweep. Arctics, Cribs, and Biffy Clyro are really like the next-best options?

#73 Sickpup

Sickpup

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2893 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 08:57 AM

the klaxons are so horrendous they make me want to cut off their hands, rip out their tongues, and gouge my own eardrums with hot firepokers all at once.

#74 throughsilver

throughsilver

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5508 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 08:58 AM

'Two or so'? And populist though they are, the Arctics are several magnitudes preferable to the Klaxons.

Posted Image

#75 Sickpup

Sickpup

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2893 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 08:58 AM

totally bizarre that twilight sad didn't make the album list.

#76 Mitchell

Mitchell

dirty old man

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20694 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 09:03 AM

Biffy Clyro is a head scratcher and pretty much the definition of Kerrang music in mind. To be honest though I expected them to plop The View, Kaisers, The Enemy and Editors in the top 15 or so Cribs and Arctics are at least better options. But not as good as say Field Music, Rumble Strips, 1990's, The Strange Death of Liberal England, The Aliens and The Twilight Sad for example. Can't say I'd disagree with the track pick but I couldn't claim that MftNF was a strong an album as The Arctics, LCD, Radiohead and so on.

#77 Mitchell

Mitchell

dirty old man

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20694 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 09:04 AM

'Two or so'?

And populist though they are, the Arctics are several magnitudes preferable to the Klaxons.

It has been good that people have seen beyond the NME's wordz on AM this year.

#78 throughsilver

throughsilver

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5508 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 09:08 AM

I haven't even seen the NME's wordz on AM.* I have, however, seen beyond the critical fervour surrounding the Klaxons. Both are indie bands that aren't bad, aren't great. Arctics had a couple of really good songs, which is a couple more than the Klaxons.

* Have to admit I do like Blissblogger's verbiage on it.

Posted Image

#79 falling and laughing

falling and laughing

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1089 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 09:10 AM

But not as good as say Field Music, Rumble Strips, 1990's, The Strange Death of Liberal England, The Aliens and The Twilight Sad for example.

there are some decent LPs in there but that's still a poor collection of outsiders compared to some years past I would say. I also don't see why no Twilight Sad is weird-- it fits WAY more into what is going on in U.S. rock than the UK.

(also, klaxons lp is still great)

#80 Mitchell

Mitchell

dirty old man

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20694 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 09:18 AM

That is definitely a list of outsider stuff but shouldn't the NME cater to that? Since CMcM took over they've pandered more and more to the lowest common denominator Indie music and boosted their sales but when the EOY album poles are based on writer's top 10's only you have to look at the list and think that they are now employing people who only started reading the magazine since he has been editor. (see also Tim Jonze, the paper's 'premier writer' admitting to Morrissey he didn't know the Bowie song "Panic In Detroit" surely the most shocking thing to come out of that episode.)

I remember reading that Reynolds review with the "awaiting their The Queen is Dead" and I couldn't agree more.