Photo

What's Your Favorite The National Song?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

Poll: This band roxxx!

What album is your favorite National song from?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Chronodiggity

Chronodiggity

THE PRINCE OF THE SOMB

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6990 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 10:33 PM

I was inspired by the number of people who Boxer turned onto this band this year, including myself. I'm curious to see what songs really stand out to people. My personal favorite is 90-Mile Water Wall. Wasp Nest is probably a close second.
^_^

#2 _____________

din da da...

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13368 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 10:50 PM

we're out looking for astronauts, looking for astronauts...

#3 Hans Christian Anderson

Hans Christian Anderson

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4919 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 11:09 PM

wow...looking for astronauts is probably one of my least favorite national songs. maybe it's because the three before it just slay it, but it still is kind of a weird one for that band. my favorite national song changes on about a weekly basis, but considering i haven't been as excited about an album that was released during the year i discovered it like i have boxer, let's just say that my favorite national song is on boxer. it's definitely my favorite record of theirs. *sheepishly admits to not owning either their first LP or sad songs for dirty lovers* on another note...folks should definitely check out their recent daytrotter session. really interesting and different arrangements on some amazing tunes. i can up it tomorrow if folks'd like, but it's also a google search away. also their black cab session is phenomenal. <object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.c...></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.c...A_r880mg&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

#4 arkin

arkin

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2663 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 01:04 AM

My favorite is "Mr. November," because it's so cathartic and intense. It's kind of uncharacteristic for them, given how subdued most of their stuff is. I'd probably rate "Thirsty" second.

#5 _____________

din da da...

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13368 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 01:31 AM

wow...looking for astronauts is probably one of my least favorite national songs.

actually that's the first thing that popped into my head. i think my favorite is Secret Meeting (remix) from that Alligator bonus disc.

#6 Hans Christian Anderson

Hans Christian Anderson

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4919 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 01:33 AM

ooh, haven't heard the remix.

#7 solace

solace

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9404 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 02:05 AM

hard to top All The Wine for me, but it's nearly impossible to pick a single fave

#8 _____________

din da da...

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13368 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 02:11 AM

#9 _____________

din da da...

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13368 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 02:12 AM

uploading the bonus disc now... maybe 8 minutes or so...

edit: make that 20 minutes.

#10 TheNameOfThisPosterIsDave

TheNameOfThisPosterIsDave

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 02:18 AM

Either "Abel" or "All The Wine," most likely. Though "Slipping Husband" ain't bad, either. And neither is "Slow Show." Great band. Chock full o' tens.

#11 Kennan

Kennan

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 02:46 AM

geese of beverly road for me. just got into them this year with "alligator," then "boxer." though the prior album isn't of this year, its probably my favorite thing-i-heard-for-the-first-time-in-2007. what *is* the consensus for the first two LPs anyway? and yeah, both the daytrotter session and the gator bonus disc would be sweet.
Having a signature.

#12 _____________

din da da...

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13368 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 03:16 AM

Alligator bonus disc:
http://www.divshare.com/download/3074796-7c0

#13 Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ

Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9457 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 03:44 AM

"Slipping Husband" obviously the last "gonna start... slipping" as the background vocals come in is one of the best musical moments ever
Aren't there any girls out their who like good music? I need to and want to meet them. My favorite bands are Overkill River, The Nife, Songs:Ohio, and Nuetral Milk Hotel. Please let me know if your into indy music and like to go to show's and drink beer's and makeout.

#14 Nick

Nick

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6013 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 09:04 AM

"City Middle" from Alligator

#15 solace

solace

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9404 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 09:11 AM

what *is* the consensus for the first two LPs anyway?

S/T has some great songs, but overall isn't super strong.

Sad Songs however is fantastic.

#16 sombrero

sombrero

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 09:18 AM

it goes like this: sons and daughters of the soho riots all the wine wasp nest baby we'll be fine mistaken for strangers slipping husband slow show friend of mine abel the geese of beverly road

#17 Hewletts Daughter

Hewletts Daughter

SING! CAPTAIN!

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9713 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 09:23 AM

the correct answer is obviously "Baby, We'll be Fine" followed shortly thereafter by "Mr. November" actually, those two are interchangeable i believe
I've got dials and knobs soft to the touch

#18 no magnets

no magnets

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4764 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 11:43 AM

no one's said "available" yet? i'm surprised. after browsing through this thread, i turned on "slipping husband." between 2:37 and 2:42 is just awesome.

#19 tweed

tweed

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3857 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 12:45 PM

sons and daughters of the soho riots

Twilight Revival
Friday, March 13th - Thornwood Lounge (Wood Dale,IL)
Tuesday, April 21 - Abbey Pub (Chicago, IL)

Web Site I MySpace

#20 UselessRocker

UselessRocker

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3849 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 01:02 PM

I'm in a state, I'm in a state
Nothing can touch us my love
I'm in a state, I'm in a state
Nothing can touch us my love

Lots of good songs, but this one's still the champ.
"LETS GET SOME FUCKING ENERGY UP IN THIS BITCH MOTHERFUCKERS! You are not resigned to a fate of slow, painful death. The world is not as Radiohead and Portishead see it. "Oh the suffering! Oh the suffering, I feel the weight of the world and all it's pain" FUCK YOU......Be the grizzly, tear some shit up, rather than tearing yourself up." -- Montana, 12/21/08