973 replies to this topic

#361 solace

solace

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9404 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 04:24 PM

best thing they've ever done???? it's not even close to the best song on the album. Caring Is Creepy > *

#362 Paul

Paul

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4170 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 04:24 PM

Rich Niggas, Black Bar Mitzvahs
Mazal Tov, It's A Celebration Bitches

#39.

Posted Image

Jay-Z – Roc Boys (And The Winner Is…)

(2608 Points, 17 Votes)

US Chart Position
: #63 / #8 Rap Tracks

UK Chart Position: n/a

SOMB Says: No, no Mr. Carter. Thank you. During the first verse of “Roc Boys (And The Winner Is)”, Jay-Z goes through a thank you list of the people and items that have contributed to his success as a dope dealer, but by the time that the hook comes around, you realize it’s you, the customer, who’s truly grateful. When was the last time that a Jigga single has been this ferocious? This pounding? This hungry? After the lackluster Kingdom Come, even the most ardent Jay-Z followers felt that the man had nothing else of substance to rhyme about, which is what makes the accomplishment of “Roc Boys” all the more amazing. God MC has finally delivered lyrical manna from the heavens for those starving, ardent followers. But beyond the shock of Jay-Z delivering a quality single once again, the song stands mightily on its own merits. On display is the swagger, the swift wordplay and street imagery that gained Jay-Z’s following in the first place (too many great lines to quote, so I’ll just let you mull on the subtle awesomeness of “Herion got less steps than Britney/That means it ain't stepped on, dig me?”). Add to that the celebratory production by The Runners, who shower the track with blazing, triumphant horns, and a toast is indeed in order. If returning to crime yields these kind of results, rehabilitation can suck it. – Midnight_Vulture

Artist's Previous Rankings on Our Singles Lists: "99 Problems" (#4 of 2004), "Dirt Off Your Shoulders" (#22 of 2004)

Ranked Highest By: American Injury (#4)

Can Be Most Easily Found On: American Gangster

#363 UselessRocker

UselessRocker

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3849 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 04:26 PM

I don't understand the dislike for that Shins track, its the best thing they've ever done.

No.

Wincing the Night Away is pretty much chock full o' 8's, it just leaked way too early/wasn't risky enough. It's still pretty good.

You're right, Kid Chrono. But there's no way "Phantom Limb" is the 'best thing they've ever done' by any stretch of the imagination.
"LETS GET SOME FUCKING ENERGY UP IN THIS BITCH MOTHERFUCKERS! You are not resigned to a fate of slow, painful death. The world is not as Radiohead and Portishead see it. "Oh the suffering! Oh the suffering, I feel the weight of the world and all it's pain" FUCK YOU......Be the grizzly, tear some shit up, rather than tearing yourself up." -- Montana, 12/21/08

#364 killerparties

killerparties

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1876 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 04:29 PM

Those singles by Modest Mouse and The Shins...talk about going through the motions. Yikes.

Paves is right, Pig Destroyer wins the Phantom Limb duel.

Animal Collective's "Peacebone" is surprisingly contagious. I usually find them unbearable.

But "Missed the Boat" isn't a traditional Modest Mouse song, so how is it going through motions?
Posted Image

#365 Saskadelphia

Saskadelphia

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6049 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 04:29 PM

That Aly & AJ track pales in comparison to the Veronicas' "Hook Me Up", which was completely ignored this year.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#366 Saskadelphia

Saskadelphia

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6049 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 04:31 PM

But "Missed the Boat" isn't a traditional Modest Mouse song, so how is it going through motions?

Brock's vocal melody and mannerisms.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#367 Paul

Paul

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4170 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 04:32 PM

Gimme A Wink, Let Me Know You're Alive

#38.

Posted Image

The Ark – Absolutely No Decorum

(2652 Points, 11 Votes, Two #1 Votes)

US Chart Position
: n/a

UK Chart Position: n/a

SOMB Says:Some say the Swedes gets all the "good stuff." I am not one of those assholes. But I do believe they do get some really awesome things, like the Swedish Chef, Ikea, and those delicious and dainty little meatballs. But none of those come even remotely close to my favorite single of 2007, the Ark's "Absolutely No Decorum."

This song packs pretty much everything I love about music in to one nice, tidy three minute and forty-six second package. It has a bombastic introduction (with a choir and wailing guitar), a bouncy set of verses, and a chorus that can best be described as "epic."

It's really a shame that the Ark are basically hated terrorists over here in the U.S. of A, because if this song garnered any airplay here in the States, it would undoubtedly be beloved by mothers, daughters, sisters and wives, alike. It's just that universally accepted as being "great."

So in conclusion,

Posted Image >>> Posted Image>>>>Posted Image >>>> Posted Image >>>>Posted Image

ps...you all should have voted this higher, IMO – Hewletts Daughter

Ranked Highest By: john the cool kid, Hewletts Daughter (#1)

Can Be Most Easily Found On: Prayer For The Weekend

#368 killerparties

killerparties

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1876 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 04:33 PM

Brock's vocal melody and mannerisms.

I see what you're saying, but I feel like this song and "florida" are great examples of the new additions to the band on this album (ie Marr and Mercer) actually tweaking and playing with MM's sound. As a diehard fan, I was pretty pleasantly surprised by just how much of a departure parts of the album were, especially the harmonizing on "Missed the Boat" and such.

Just my two cents.
Posted Image

#369 Hewletts Daughter

Hewletts Daughter

SING! CAPTAIN!

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9713 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 04:34 PM

hey, my awful blurb!
I've got dials and knobs soft to the touch

#370 Chronodiggity

Chronodiggity

THE PRINCE OF THE SOMB

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6990 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 04:36 PM

I don't understand the dislike for that Shins track, its the best thing they've ever done.

No.

Wincing the Night Away is pretty much chock full o' 8's, it just leaked way too early/wasn't risky enough. It's still pretty good.

You're right, Kid Chrono. But there's no way "Phantom Limb" is the 'best thing they've ever done' by any stretch of the imagination.

I could see how someone would say that though. It's so straightforward and likable and unexpectedly heavy. I wouldn't agree with that statement, but I certainly wouldn't dismiss it.

Their best song is Gone For Good, if anyone was wondering.
^_^

#371 Saskadelphia

Saskadelphia

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6049 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 04:38 PM

I agree.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#372 pigfuck

pigfuck

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1853 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 04:38 PM

How the fuck can you be in high school yet still know this? I'm amazed. (Or are you frosh?) Anyway, brilliant fucking song.
make it three yards, motherfucker, and we'll have an automobile race

#373 Alky 2009

Alky 2009

lover's rock

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4533 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 04:39 PM

SOMBies in taking my statement too seriously shocker! I honestly don't think its the best Shins song ever, but its definitely Top 5. That vocal melody kills me everytime. I just like that its so straightforward and so much less subtle than they usually work.
"Mellow... but not smooth... kinda shitty."
"Jimmy Buffett..."

Posted Image

#374 Chronodiggity

Chronodiggity

THE PRINCE OF THE SOMB

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6990 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 04:41 PM

UNTIE ME I'VE SAID NO VOWS
^_^

#375 stphone

stphone

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1312 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 04:41 PM

That Aly & AJ track pales in comparison to the Veronicas' "Hook Me Up", which was completely ignored this year.

To be honest, I was a bit underwhelmed by "Hook Me Up". I wanted to like it, but it just didn't do much for me. Their singles from last year however, whole other story.

#376 Paul

Paul

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4170 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 04:43 PM

Excuse Me, Was You Sayin' Somethin'?

#37.

Posted Image

Kanye West – Can’t Tell Me Nothing / Can’t Tell Me Nothing (Remix feat. Young Jeezy)

(2668 Points, 19 Votes)

US Chart Position
: #41 / #8 Rap Tracks

UK Chart Position: #107

SOMB Says: NAME-BRAND EGOMANIAC KANYE VS. MAMA'S BOY I LOVE GOD KANYE

It's the battle of the ages. Or at the very least, of the Kanye's. We have in the red corner the one, the only, the LOUIS VUITTON DON. He's primping and preening and lookin' damn good. Chock-full of jewels and name-brands, the DON ain't about to back down. A formidable opponent to be sure.

His opponent in the blue corner is the mild, the meek, the MAMA'S BOY KANYE. He loves his mom and his God and probably his green peas as well. And while he's got a whole lot of conviction backing up each hit, he's certainly the underdog tonight.

But as they say, anything can happen in the ring. Especially when DJ Toomp and his army of stormy synths are officiating. And...

*DING* -DING- *DING*

...the fight is on! MAMA'S BOY KANYE rushes in with a few early punches. He uses the only attacks he knows. "Remember mom?" -- "Remember God?" -- "Remember?" But the DON don't care. He laughs, "Uh, uh, you can't tell me nothing" and BAM knocks the little MAMA'S BOY straight in the face. "Who needs God when you can buy your way to heaven?" he chides.

But the lil' MAMA'S BOY ain't no quitter. He goes in for a few more jabs. Looking to topple the self-assured DON. And suprisingly he gets a few good hits in. The DON is beginning to look a bit wobbily, or at the very least a bit guilty. He knows he's stronger, but can he really destroy this lil' boy in front of him? I mean, it's where he came from. And he can't forget that. Can he?

Well sure he can, and he socks the MAMA'S BOY right back - POW. But, he seems uncertain. Maybe he did turn his back on his past. "NAHHH" he smirks and goes for the knock-out.

"La, la, la, la / Wait 'til I get my money right"

But his punch misses the mark. And little Kanye was waiting.

"La la la la / Then you can't tell me nothing"

BOOM - the LIL' MAMA'S BOY knocked the DON straight in the jaw. And the DON goes down!

"right?" – stphone

Artist's Previous Rankings on Our Singles Lists: "Jesus Walks" (#10 of 2004), "Slow Jamz" (#16 of 2004), "All Falls Down" (#44 of 2004), "The New Workout Plan" (#51 of 2004), "Diamonds From Sierra Leone" / Remix (feat. Jay-Z) (#82 of 2005), "Heard 'em Say" / "Touch The Sky" (#69 of 2005), "Gold Digger" (#7 of 2005), "Drive Slow" (#67 of 2006)

Ranked Highest By: Duff., Sombrero, gil-scott heroin (#2)

Can Be Most Easily Found On: Graduation

#377 Slackmo

Slackmo

devil's avocado

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13999 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 04:45 PM

hey, my awful blurb!

Oh hells no. That was mighty entertaining. Well done.
Someone Still Loves You Pants McJickson

#378 Justine

Justine

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 04:45 PM

I'm sure 1, 2, 3, 4 will have a higher rank.

BOLD PREDICTION ALERT

Haha lol.. I noticed it was pretty obvious once I said it. No need to mock me. :P

#379 Slackmo

Slackmo

devil's avocado

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13999 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 04:46 PM

Man, I hope that means "Flashing Lights" is still on the way.
Someone Still Loves You Pants McJickson

#380 UselessRocker

UselessRocker

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3849 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 04:49 PM

Man, I hope that means "Flashing Lights" is still on the way.

It is. I mean, uh, it might be.
"LETS GET SOME FUCKING ENERGY UP IN THIS BITCH MOTHERFUCKERS! You are not resigned to a fate of slow, painful death. The world is not as Radiohead and Portishead see it. "Oh the suffering! Oh the suffering, I feel the weight of the world and all it's pain" FUCK YOU......Be the grizzly, tear some shit up, rather than tearing yourself up." -- Montana, 12/21/08