#501 BGwaves

BGwaves

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1623 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 08:01 PM

That Dan Deacon song is so awful.

yeah, i couldn't even get thru the whole thing...

...chromeo just brings a smile to my face

dumb

#502 arkin

arkin

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2663 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 08:07 PM

I guess I'm in the minority that prefers "What Goes Around" to "LoveStoned." Both fab songs though.

#503 killerparties

killerparties

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1876 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 08:08 PM

Dam Deacon is really awesome, as long as we're sorta still talking about that. Everyone who disagrees is pretty much terrible. As a person.
Posted Image

#504 Saskadelphia

Saskadelphia

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6049 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 08:10 PM

Sophie in the top 20, wow. Best surprise so far.

Seeing my darling Sophie has warmed my actually in Scandanavis heart, swoon

Okay, we get it. You're in Sweden. :rolleyes: :P
Posted Image
Posted Image

#505 Paul

Paul

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4170 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 08:13 PM

It's You!
It's Me!
And There's Dancing!

#18.

Posted Image

Los Campesinos! – You! Me! Dancing! / It Started With A Mixx

(4437 Points, 20 Votes, One #1 Vote)

US Chart Position
: n/a

UK Chart Position: n/a

SOMB Says: (Another) bi-gendered troupe of so-twee-it-hurts students out to teach us all how to dance? On principle alone, the only way I could hate this band more would be if they took on a foreign moniker and exlamatized it... ¡Aye caray! Maybe I’m just hung up on bands that garner this much Pitchfork/Hype Machine appeal, even if they really deserve it, and reluctant to join the herd of indie kids willing to crown Los Campesinos! as the next big thing. At least they have good music at their parties, but the thing is, “You! Me! Dancing!” is for everyone else who didn’t get an invitation, and wouldn’t even know what to do with it if they did.

In a year where alternative rock went disco, Youtube dance crazes swept the nation, and the post-punk dance revival finally evolved from a twinkle in bloggers’ eyes to the new paradigm of our times, could there be a more awkward confession for anyone than “I can’t dance a single step”? Closet wallflowers have more brothers and sisters than they could ever imagine, but “You! Me! Dancing!” gives them no more excuses for their awkwardness. With one of the best guitar riffs of 2007, the most addictive primal drumbeat in years that wasn’t pounded out by Meg White, and a chorus so earnest and joyful that you can’t help but be swept up in its proclamation of surprise, LC! might have just brought the last of the mixtape-makers out of their bedrooms and onto the dance floor. Maybe they are a young band that needs more time to “tighten up,” but this time around, that’s a criticism that’s missing the point completely. – undo

Ranked Highest By: Saskadelphia (#1)

Can Be Most Easily Found On: Sticking Fingers Into Sockets

#506 Saskadelphia

Saskadelphia

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6049 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 08:15 PM

^ Awesome. So many great blurbs written, too.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#507 Paul

Paul

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4170 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 08:19 PM

Late At Night You Can Hear The Sound

#17.

Posted Image

Arcade Fire – Keep The Car Running / Broken Window

(4810 Points, 30 Votes)

US Chart Position
: #32 Modern Rock

UK Chart Position: #56

SOMB Says: Remember in October when Win and Régine guested with Bruce on "Keep the Car Running"? Of course you do. There were all of those people who then kept saying, "That's clearly a Springsteen homage! It was only a matter of time until this happened!" Well, somewhere John Cafferty was probably cursing them as he listened to "On the Dark Side" over and over wondering "Why didn't Bruce ever ask me to play with him?!" (Who knows, this may've actually happened.)

From the build in intensity to the feverish handclaps and the dueling strings, this isn't just an impersonation, though. This is the mark of a band building off of what doubters figured would be a one-trick pony. The surging instrumentation and the paranoia-induced vocals exhibit the Arcade Fire comfortable enough to show off their influences and yet inject new flavor into a sound that they deeply adore. - no magnets

Artist's Previous Rankings on Our Singles Lists: "Neighborhood #3 (Power Out)" (#54 of 2005), "Rebellion (Lies)" (#21 of 2005)

Ranked Highest By: Campaigner (#3)

Can Be Most Easily Found On: Neon Bible

#508 yancy

yancy

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20240 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 08:20 PM

Gross.

#509 Paul

Paul

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4170 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 08:27 PM

And She Got That Ass, I Got To Look, Sorry

#16.

Posted Image

Kanye West – Good Life (feat. T-Pain)

(4959 Points, 28 Votes)

US Chart Position
: #7 / #1 Rap Tracks

UK Chart Position: #23

SOMB Says: In a year dominated by two kings of pop, T-Pain and Kanye West, perhaps it is fitting that it's a Michael Jackson sample brings them together on "Good Life", Graduation's best track bar none. The P.Y.T. sample is the highlight of Kanye's production, but every single choice he made in producing this track is entirely perfect, top to bottom.

When I first heard the song on the radio, I didn't get it. The subtleties hadn't revealed themselves yet, its a grower, blah blah, etc. etc. However, my perception that the song was too simple proved itself to be dead wrong. Every whirring key, every looping clap, every hook T-Pain can throw at us is unique and constantly changing. Rather than go in circles, the song evolves in front of us as sounds change, and Kanye delivers his typically awkward flow, to great effect. This is happy Kanye. Rich Kanye. Ridiculous stunners with horizontal lines Kanye. Every slurred rhyme exudes fun and gives me an intense urge to DANCE LIKE NO ONE IS WATCHING ME.

Though he's rapping about the vanity of his success, you get the sense listening how truly grateful he is to have made it. Maybe that's reading into it, and say what you will about the Kanye persona, but he's living millions of little kids dreams, loving it, and living the good life with one of 2007's best tracks.

P.S. T-PAIN ROXXXX!!!!!!!!!<3<3<3FUQQ DA H8ERZ. – Chrono

Artist's Previous Rankings on Our Singles Lists: "Jesus Walks" (#10 of 2004), "Slow Jamz" (#16 of 2004), "All Falls Down" (#44 of 2004), "The New Workout Plan" (#51 of 2004), "Diamonds From Sierra Leone" / Remix (feat. Jay-Z) (#82 of 2005), "Heard 'em Say" / "Touch The Sky" (#69 of 2005), "Gold Digger" (#7 of 2005), "Drive Slow" (#67 of 2006)

Ranked Highest By: Paul (#3)

Can Be Most Easily Found On: Graduation

#510 Justine

Justine

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 08:27 PM

Oddly enough, I don't think I have ever heard "Broken Window", checking it out now, thanks! And man oh man, do we love our kayne!

#511 Paul

Paul

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4170 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 08:33 PM

Light Touch My Hands

#15.

Posted Image

Klaxons – Golden Skans / Golden Skans (Erol’s Ekstra Spektral Remix)

(4984 Points, 25 Votes, One #1 Vote)

US Chart Position
: n/a

UK Chart Position: #7

SOMB Says: Come with me, come with me, we'll travel to infinity sang The Klaxons on last year’s single “Gravity’s Rainbow” and by starting the year with their forth and most accessible single to date they treat us to a song that simultaneously manages to begin unnervingly like Baby D’s “Let Me Be Your Fantasy” and quotes from JG Ballard’s Myths of The Near Future which is a lot closer to infinity then most bands achieve. With so many looping, dizzying elements spinning around song like the strands of silk in the Jackson 5 inspired video or the shards of light piercing the ozone layer in Ballard’s novella it’s success lies in it’s ability to slowly bring the individual parts together to a tumultuous crescendo with the plodding bass-line, the smattering of the lightweight drums, the piano, the ohhing, the ahhing, the bit they nicked from Madonna that she nicked from Abba and the urgency of the delivery of the bridge before the entire song explodes into the sun and beams it self across the known and unknown universe. You can forget all future plans. – MitchellStirling

Artist's Previous Rankings on Our Singles Lists: "Gravity's Rainbow" / "The Bouncer" (#87 of 2006)

Ranked Highest By: MitchellStirling (#1)

Can Be Most Easily Found On: Myths of the Near Future

#512 Twilight

Twilight

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 08:34 PM

:(

#513 The Luscious Phil

The Luscious Phil

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3601 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 08:35 PM

we might love our Kanye singles, but did we really love Graduation? I don't remember seeing it so highly on many people's lists, but that could just be my bad memory.
Posted Image

#514 killerparties

killerparties

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1876 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 08:36 PM

Not bad choices, even if they were expected. "You! Me! Dancing!" is much better than it really has a right to be.
Posted Image

#515 Paul

Paul

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4170 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 08:38 PM

Well, You Can't Be A Pimp And A Prostitute Too

#14.

Posted Image

The White Stripes – Icky Thump / Rag & Bone

(5067 Points, 28 Votes)

US Chart Position
: #26 / #1 Modern Rock

UK Chart Position: #2

SOMB Says: Of all the things to say about the White Stripes, "influential" might be the hardest to pin on. In 2002, they came on the scene with "Fell in Love With a Girl," which was more or less the only thing of interest going on on alternative radio. Everyone talked of revolution, how something might finally be happening. This year they dropped "Icky Thump," which was more or less the only thing of interest going on on alternative radio. Oh well. At least the Stripes keep it fresh, bringing throbbing distortion, pounding drums, Jimmy Page guitar licks, out-of-nowhere political commentary, and it all ends like most White Stripes songs do, with Jack White handcuffed to a bed in Mexico having just been swindled by a one-eyed woman we can only assume is Meg. Rock-n-roll, mother fuckers. – Duff.

Artist's Previous Rankings on Our Singles Lists: "My Doorbell" (#29 of 2005), "Blue Orchid" (#22 of 2005)

Ranked Highest By: AsherFord (#2)

Can Be Most Easily Found On: Icky Thump

#516 pigfuck

pigfuck

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1853 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 08:38 PM

we might love our Kanye singles, but did we really love Graduation? I don't remember seeing it so highly on many people's lists, but that could just be my bad memory.

Graduation was most certainly the year's letdown. The singles - "Stronger" excepted - aren't all that either. Y'all midwesterners got some generous ears for your local boys.
make it three yards, motherfucker, and we'll have an automobile race

#517 Saskadelphia

Saskadelphia

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6049 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 08:40 PM

Y'all midwesterners got some generous ears for your local boys.

No kidding...
Posted Image
Posted Image

#518 Twilight

Twilight

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 820 posts

Graduation was most certainly the year's letdown. The singles - "Stronger" excepted - aren't all that either. Y'all midwesterners got some generous ears for your local boys.

LOL this is crazy talk, "Stronger" is actually the worst single!

#519 DrJimmy

DrJimmy

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6912 posts

And man oh man, do we love our kayne!

perhaps the most common misspelling on the internet.

or #2 to "loose" (when people mean "lose")

#520 James D

James D

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2299 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 08:41 PM

Good stuff, although I must protest at the inclusion of Sophie Ellis-Bextor. Awful.

btw, here's an mp3 of 'Fireworks' by Animal Collective if anyone wants it. I noticed there wasn't an upload. Sorry, I forgot to tag it properly.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/fdi450

Also, that Los Campesinos! song is terrific. I'd never heard of these guys up until now. A triumph!