973 replies to this topic

#801 gwa

gwa

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2071 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 04:15 PM

Yeah, I don't get it. I listened again last night to see if either one would finally click. Nope. They're like the climax that never comes.

Here's where I come in. Just sit back and relax. You ain't gonna need aspirin for this. You know what I'm talking about? I think you do.

You've got something of a dick yen. Care to discuss.

You talkin' to me or him?

#802 BRANDON BOYD FROM INCUBUS

BRANDON BOYD FROM INCUBUS

all sorts of chill

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5776 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 04:20 PM

great list, wish i could download all of these. the top 3 is pretty unfuck-with-able or however you guys say it good job paul, looking forward to catching up on the albums list next time i'm near a computer.

#803 BRANDON BOYD FROM INCUBUS

BRANDON BOYD FROM INCUBUS

all sorts of chill

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5776 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 04:21 PM

also, to killerparties, sorry dude, i didn't know that was your favorite song of the year. if it means anything, i actually put a few minutes worth of thought/effort into my album blurb.

#804 scarymuppet

scarymuppet

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4178 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 04:28 PM

Hey,

I like the LCD Soundsystem CD and all (voted #7ish?), but I don't get the whole thing about the lyrics of the songs. The music is way too good for me to pay attention to the lyrics.

I've listened to it 2 more times today, trying to pay attention to them, but I keep getting lost.

Ditto. No idea what "All My Friends" is about (or are). Just know it's awesome.

EDIT: Just read the lyrics. I get it and like it now.
BAN ME IF I TALK TO MONTANA

#805 dano

dano

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1130 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 04:39 PM

There's something strangely enjoyable (maybe not the best word for it) about listening to someone else put your feelings into words (and to music), especially when it's something you feel but can't necessarily verbalize yourself. The effect is even stronger when the emotions evoked are painful/difficult (loss and aging in Someone Great and All My Friends, respectively). People are attracted to music that can evoke a strong emotional response, so those two songs are particularly attractive.

reading your posts is like huffing paint.

i'm surprised your brain has enough power to regulate your breathing.

lol, otm. Rereading it now, and yeah, that's worded really, really badly and makes very little sense. Good times.

#806 fffffffff

fffffffff

Rockist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7182 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 05:07 PM

(and I don't think anyone's saying) "you can only get this song if you're in this age bracket".

Actually, that's exactly what something's saying:

if you kind of want to just listen to music to drown out the bg sounds of those damn kids on your yard, than it wont do it for you. but if you want to listen actively and have some emotional connection to what you are listening to... then this album is perfect and amazing.

thats actually exactly what i am saying. but you keep on keeping on with that tunnel vision. it makes you look really manly.

back to ignore you go, and back to downloading all these songs for me.

thanks again paul. sorry everyone needs to bicker.

#807 theminimumcircus

theminimumcircus

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2124 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 05:11 PM

Yeah, I don't get it. I listened again last night to see if either one would finally click. Nope. They're like the climax that never comes.

Here's where I come in. Just sit back and relax. You ain't gonna need aspirin for this. You know what I'm talking about? I think you do.

You've got something of a dick yen. Care to discuss.

You talkin' to me or him?

I thought him was a her and you wuz a him. Fuck it all.

In the end, there's a whole bunch of message-board boner approaches from our resident frotteurist.
Wtf @ theminimuncircus retardly interjecting.

#808 theremin

theremin

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6370 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 05:19 PM

Can you explain it to me?

#809 scarymuppet

scarymuppet

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4178 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 05:29 PM

Can you explain it to me?

Kind of seems to be about aging hipsters to me. Someone getting older but still being fairly immature and kind of wondering if that's the way it should be or not.
BAN ME IF I TALK TO MONTANA

#810 Chronodiggity

Chronodiggity

THE PRINCE OF THE SOMB

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6990 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 05:40 PM

I don't know what everyone was waiting for, it's LCD Soundsystem: cymbal rushes, cannons firing, a guitar solo?

That's what talented bands do. No one was expecting that from LCD Soundsystem.

The great irony is that All My Friends has cymbal rushes, a sound that resembles a cannon firing, and a guitar solo, you fucking twat.

I really like the list, except for the retarded Once singles and random chicks that no one has heard of. Can't complain too much about stuff I liked that didn't place.

Lyrics aside, Someone Great and All My Friends are far far far beyond almost everything released this year musically anyway, so if you connect to the lyrics, its just a bonus. The online hipster community of the white middle-class burgeoise can relate to this shit because they are either a.) about to grow into these dilemmas in 5 years, b.) living it right now, or c.) just got over it. So many people just splitting hairs in this thread because they're too foolish to like the song and they're trying to pick it apart with their bullshit.
^_^

#811 Montana

Montana

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11536 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 05:57 PM

The great irony is that All My Friends has a guitar solo

Is that what the dying goose noise was? I don't hear a guitar solo anywhere in that abomination.

Lyrically uninteresting. Unoriginal. Lacking any sort of dynamic range.

Remember when your parents showed you their record collection for the first time, and Kenny Logins came up in the vinyl stack and they quickly flipped past it? That's what LCD Soundsystem will be in a few years time.

Yeah we get it. You want to see your friends. Use the phone and quit whining, you melodramatic douchebag. Do some pushups, go to a bar and meet a girl. Life goes on.

The high school drama club hilarity at the end of this video is one of the more insulting parts of this single:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.c...></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.c..._ZT-nyOs&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
Every Sunday morning I wake up
I see you by your dresser doing your make-up
Fluttering a Chinese fan in a Knoxville fashion
All last night you tossed and turned
Your body was hotter than the night Richmond burned
You say you had a bad nightmare about tractor trailers crashing
- The Felice Brothers

#812 theremin

theremin

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6370 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 05:58 PM

I like that Montana doesn't like All My Friends, even though it lyrically references Pink Floyd.

#813 theminimumcircus

theminimumcircus

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2124 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 06:32 PM

Remember when your parents showed you their record collection for the first time, and Kenny Logins came up in the vinyl stack and they quickly flipped past it? That's what LCD Soundsystem will be in a few years time.

Rad.

On a related note--the only lyrics worth listening to are hip-hop lyrics (new expressions for fucking are awesome). I can't take anyone with a guitar seriously enough to believe they have something truly meaningful to convey to me. They could be barking gibberish for all I care, as long as their voice sounds nice.
Wtf @ theminimuncircus retardly interjecting.

#814 red

red

bored

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9490 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 06:34 PM

THANKS PAUL!

Red is right

#815 Paul

Paul

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4170 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 06:47 PM

Montana, quit being such a one-note repeating parroted. People were actually having a civilized (for the SOMB at least) discussion on why the do/don't like something. There are 99 other singles on this list that I'm pretty sure you'd hate as well. Do something new and complain about those (also, you would be much more legitimate in your criticism if you actually voted in this poll). Seriously, don't be an old, desperate cunt in the albums thread or you're going to lose any good will anyone on this board might have for you. In case you didn't see most other post, albums are going to wait until tomorrow. I figured it wasn't worth getting started tonight because I don't know how much energy I have or how many people will even be around for them. Also, if you still owe me blurbs, make sure I get them before 1 pm (central) tomorrow. Otherwise I'll just go find some Rolling Stone reviews or something.

#816 Montana

Montana

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11536 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 06:58 PM

Montana, quit being such a one-note repeating parroted. People were actually having a civilized (for the SOMB at least) discussion on why the do/don't like something. There are 99 other singles on this list that I'm pretty sure you'd hate as well. Do something new and complain about those (also, you would be much more legitimate in your criticism if you actually voted in this poll). Seriously, don't be an old, desperate cunt in the albums thread or you're going to lose any good will anyone on this board might have for you.

Being older than 18 has nothing to do with being able to determine that "All My Friends" is awful. If that's the best single 2007 can offer it truly was one of the worst music years in quite some time.

And I'm trying to figure out how "you're a fat psycho bitch" was a civilized discussion? I guess my music related posts interrupted that friendly bit of dialogue, lol.

This thread went haywire well before I made a single post. Sure, I may cause some mayhem, but at least it has some sort of entertaining aspect about it and is musically relevant.

What's Forgo's excuse?
Every Sunday morning I wake up
I see you by your dresser doing your make-up
Fluttering a Chinese fan in a Knoxville fashion
All last night you tossed and turned
Your body was hotter than the night Richmond burned
You say you had a bad nightmare about tractor trailers crashing
- The Felice Brothers

#817 without_opinion

without_opinion

Minister of Health

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5575 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 07:00 PM

huh, so i guess i didn't need to stay up til 1:15am on wednesday postponing vacation packing in order to finish writing blurbs. if paul gave you something to write finish it already. it's not like this is SOMB Madness without deadlines or anything.
Music Is My Girlfriend (click for playlists) -- my brother's weekly radio show (new time!), Mondays, 2pm CST, out of Crested Butte, CO. Hear it at KBUT fm online

#818 Paul

Paul

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4170 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 07:02 PM

Like usual, you [Montana] didn't read anything I (or anyone else) was saying. I don't care what your opinion of that song or any song is. There are lots of posters that had issues with certain singles. It is just that you keep saying the same thing over and over again like we weren't convinced yet because we didn't hear it enough. That's all I'm going to say about that because I think I've already rather clearly made my point.

#819 Paul

Paul

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4170 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 07:03 PM

huh, so i guess i didn't need to stay up til 1:15am on wednesday postponing vacation packing in order to finish writing blurbs.

I do really appreciate everyone that got things back to me on time. Takes a little stress out of this.

#820 thresholdofrevelation

thresholdofrevelation

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 07:43 PM

So is anyone still planning on zipping these up and uploading them in bulk? If not I'll be happy to go from lazy moocher to just regular moocher...