1505 replies to this topic

#261 petras

petras

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 04:50 PM

I'm thinking Sondre didn't make it :(
"Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business."

#262 James D

James D

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2299 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 04:50 PM

Jaysus, I'd forgotten about Witchcraft.

#263 red

red

bored

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9490 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 04:51 PM

Yeah, great list so far. I'm glad I realized Sally Shapiro could be voted for at the last minute. And I'm really happy to see This Bliss and Yearbook 1 made the cut too. Right on somb.

Red is right

#264 vurt

vurt

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1844 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 04:51 PM

Why is this list so awesome. This is almost as awesome as Damo Suzuki's (Almost) 500 Awesome Records or Ned Raggett's 90s list or... or... gah.

I want to see these lists...

#265 Paul

Paul

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4170 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 04:52 PM

#52.

Posted Image

High On Fire - Death Is The Communion

US Chart Position
: #142

UK Chart Position: n/a

Charting Singles: n/a

Acclaimed Music Ranking: n/a

PopMatters Review: "The familiar sounds are thrilling enough, but the real treat on Death is This Communion is just how much variety the band brings into the music this time around. Acoustic guitar adds a sober, brooding touch to “Cyclopian Scape” and the nuclear war themed “Waste of Tiamat”, a tambour adds a very effective Middle Eastern touch to “Khanrad’s Wall”, and Pike’s terrific solos on the ornate instrumental “DII” are very nicely underscored by mellotron. That said, it’s the lengthy “Ethereal” that really stands out, even though it’s without the added bells and whistles of the previous tracks, instead showcasing a much more streamlined arrangement, Pike’s melodic riff economical, and the rhythms section downplayed enough to allow room for his surprisingly catchy multi-tracked lead vocals. Such skillful counterbalancing of gigantic heaviness with moments of musical refinement has High on Fire flirting with greatness, on arguably their finest work to date." (8/10)

Ranked Highest By: Vivian Darkbloom, Diesel (#1)

Amazon Link

#266 petras

petras

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 04:53 PM

Yeah, great list so far. I'm glad I realized Sally Shapiro could be voted for at the last minute.

I really should have listened to this before I made my list sounds like it's right up my alley i'll have to go fishing for it at some point.
"Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business."

#267 Vivian Darkbloom

Vivian Darkbloom

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4426 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 04:54 PM

A respectable showing. This year's EOY is a true metalpocalypse.
The God of language forgives all crimes. -W.H. Auden ***** Anthony B, Independent, March 16 Black Mountain, Rickshaw Stop, March 20 Earthless, Wooden Shjips, Cafe du Nord, March 28 Mastodon, Kylesa, Intronaut, Great American Music Hall, April 19 Opeth, Enslaved, Regency Grand Ballroom, May 14 Sun Kil Moon, Great American Music Hall, May 29

#268 Diesel

Diesel

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1410 posts

man. i'm really starting to worry that random spirit lover isn't even gonna place. what's wrong with this world?

ahh crap. I think you are right, but it makes me sad.

i'm okay with it being low on the list, but i mean, woke on a whaleheart? it isn't bad by any means, but it's pretty much more of the s(mog)ame.

Yeah, this is going to be a real travesty. The metal folks complain about being underrepresented on the list, but if indie rock darling Spencer Krug can't even place in the albums poll, we need to have some veto power to remove some Pig Destroyer bullshit and throw Random Spirit Lover in there.

"Teh indie rock" is gonna have like, the entire top 40, so STFU.

I couldn't be happier about all the metal on this list.

Oh shit: HoF and Baroness. Metal's gotta finished, then. Except maybe Alcest.

#269 vurt

vurt

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1844 posts

I'm sure Chrono will be reassured in the top 50 when indie starts reasserting itself.

#270 Paul

Paul

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4170 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 04:55 PM

#51.

Posted Image

Beirut - The Flying Cup

US Chart Position
: #118

Acclaimed Music Ranking:#36 of 2007

Pitchfork Review: "Flying Club Cup deftly showcases Condon's gifts: "Nantes" sounds exotic without directly referencing a particular era or feeling, and "A Sunday Smile"-- despite being about specific people and places-- evokes universal sensations such as sleepiness and warmth. "Un Dernier Verre (Pour la Route)" and "Guyamas Sonora" show off Condon's increased love of piano-driven pop songcraft-- as well his band's frequent trick of introducing the best part of the song (here, the way the lithe percussion and ukulele contrast with the heavy accordion and his vocal layering) three-quarters of the way through. "In the Mausoleum" begins with some "Come On! Feel the Illinois!"-ish piano (Sufjan Stevens playing the U.S. cultural cannibal to Condon's worldly connoisseur), but what I like best is the violins, arranged by Final Fantasy's Owen Pallett (in conjunction with Beirut's violinist Kristin Ferebee), which are strong throughout the record and provide a perfect, light-as-lashes counter to Condon's thick instrumentation." (8.0)

Ranked Highest By: Sideswiped (#3)

Amazon Link

#271 red

red

bored

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9490 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 04:56 PM

I'm sure Chrono will be reassured in the top 50 when indie starts reasserting itself.

Unfortunately, I'm sure you are correct. We're getting all of the good stuff out of the way now. I dread to see what's left for the top 15 or so.

Red is right

#272 Chronodiggity

Chronodiggity

THE PRINCE OF THE SOMB

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6990 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 04:57 PM

The metal folks complain about being underrepresented on the list, but if indie rock darling Spencer Krug can't even place in the albums poll, we need to have some veto power to remove some Pig Destroyer bullshit and throw Random Spirit Lover in there.

Awful post.

He's an INDIE ROCK DARLING, does that mean anything to you people?!

I care nothing of the Of Montreal's of the world, I just want Random Spirit Lover.
^_^

#273 st. park

st. park

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1096 posts

Why is this list so awesome. This is almost as awesome as Damo Suzuki's (Almost) 500 Awesome Records or Ned Raggett's 90s list or... or... gah.

I want to see these lists...

ned raggett's top 136 albums of the 90's.

very nice, unpretentious list.

#274 James D

James D

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2299 posts

man. i'm really starting to worry that random spirit lover isn't even gonna place. what's wrong with this world?

i'm okay with it being low on the list, but i mean, woke on a whaleheart? it isn't bad by any means, but it's pretty much more of the s(mog)ame.

Yeah, this is going to be a real travesty. The metal folks complain about being underrepresented on the list, but if indie rock darling Spencer Krug can't even place in the albums poll, we need to have some veto power to remove some Pig Destroyer bullshit and throw Random Spirit Lover in there.

Talk about toys out of pram :lol:

Anyway, thats all metal's got. Pretty good showing.

#275 Paul

Paul

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4170 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 04:58 PM

#50.

Posted Image

Explosions In The Sky - All Of A Sudden, I Miss Everyone

US Chart Position
: #76

Acclaimed Music Ranking: n/a

Pitchfork Review: "It would be pointless to discuss this album on a song-by-song basis, since each funnels different permutations of chords and changes into the same inflexible template. It would be like trying to describe Legos by talking about helicopters and fortresses instead of brightly colored blocks of interlocking plastic. So let's consider the template itself. The foundation of EITS's aesthetic is the marriage of raw power and delicate beauty, and they've definitely honed the formula to weapon-caliber impact. The quiet parts, dominated by trembling strands of silvery guitar, are unaccountably tense, while the screaming guitar meltdowns they always lead to retain a pleasant lullaby quality, so that each mode holds the other in balanced suspension. There are the inevitable moments when one guitar breaks free from the others to slam home a more direct version of the song's melodic theme, and the climactic freakouts that inevitably signal the song's impending deconstruction." (6.0)

Ranked Highest By: theremin (#2)

Amazon Link

#276 red

red

bored

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9490 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 04:59 PM

He's an INDIE ROCK DARLING, does that mean anything to you people?!

The term "indie rock darling" makes me nauseous for some reason.

Red is right

#277 brobee

brobee

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1981 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 05:00 PM

Talk about toys out of pram :lol:

Anyway, thats all metal's got. Pretty good showing.

i'm also kinda devastated that rsl isn't on this list, but a veto would be antithetical to this sort of top 100 list. the more variety, the better. just as long as people are posting what they like, not what makes them look cool.

#278 Saskadelphia

Saskadelphia

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6049 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 05:00 PM

Yeah, Alcest is the last one, I'm pretty certain. Outstanding first half, just outstanding.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#279 James D

James D

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2299 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 05:01 PM

I was pretty underwhelmed by EITS latest. Certainly not one of their stronger albums.

#280 vurt

vurt

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1844 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 05:01 PM

I adore the cover of that EitS album. I need to find a decent-size copy from somewhere to put up on the wall. Only ever listened to the album once though.