415 replies to this topic

#61 Mitchell

Mitchell

dirty old man

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20700 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 04:47 PM

Luckily the record industry is done with high-profile releases by turkey day.

and it's not on fair on non-Chicago and NYer SOMB who can't get to the limited release listening parties before Christmas.
Nice bowl of Crunchy Nut you got here, pretty expensive as I recall.

#62 velocity

velocity

Chanel No. ♪♫

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10088 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 05:54 PM

So the only time we would actually assign points is if we have fewer than 10 total, right?

#63 without_opinion

without_opinion

Minister of Health

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5575 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 07:41 PM

what's the official ruling on voting for grindhouse vs voting for death proof and planet terror individually?
Music Is My Girlfriend (click for playlists) -- my brother's weekly radio show (new time!), Mondays, 2pm CST, out of Crested Butte, CO. Hear it at KBUT fm online

#64 Raleigh

Raleigh

Hipster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1043 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 09:11 PM

what's the official ruling on voting for grindhouse vs voting for death proof and planet terror individually?

officially, you really shouldn't vote for it at all.

(I don't know why I said that. i thought DP was alright)

#65 Elemeno P.T.

Elemeno P.T.

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3951 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 10:15 PM

So the only time we would actually assign points is if we have fewer than 10 total, right?

yes.
Oskar, Oskar Oskar!

#66 Elemeno P.T.

Elemeno P.T.

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3951 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 10:16 PM

I had peeps pm'ing suggesting an April deadline.

I'd just like it noted that I was not one of those people.

Would you have preferred an earlier deadline?
Oskar, Oskar Oskar!

#67 Slackmo

Slackmo

devil's avocado

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13999 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 10:35 PM

I had peeps pm'ing suggesting an April deadline.

I'd just like it noted that I was not one of those people.

Would you have preferred an earlier deadline?

I like what you've got going, as long as folks make the most of the time in between to see more contenders. (C'mon, velocity...)
Someone Still Loves You Pants McJickson

#68 Elemeno P.T.

Elemeno P.T.

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3951 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 10:41 PM

Sweeney Todd people! Bring the family.
Oskar, Oskar Oskar!

#69 velocity

velocity

Chanel No. ♪♫

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10088 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 02:25 AM

I like what you've got going, as long as folks make the most of the time in between to see more contenders. (C'mon, velocity...)

The pressure's on!

#70 yancy

yancy

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20240 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 10:29 AM

I have no idea what scores to assign to my films. How much of a dick would I be if I just ranked them all at 9.0? If the movie snobs would be offended, I won't do it.

#71 Slackmo

Slackmo

devil's avocado

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13999 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 10:30 AM

I have no idea what scores to assign to my films. How much of a dick would I be if I just ranked them all at 9.0? If the movie snobs would be offended, I won't do it.

If your list is as short as expected, it stands to reason you might think they're all 9's. And fuck the naysayers.

#72 yancy

yancy

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20240 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 10:33 AM

The thing is, I can see where PT is coming from. I've only seen about ten movies this year and will be voting for like eight. So my third least favorite film is worth as much as someone like Theremin's 8th favorite out of a hundred.

#73 Slackmo

Slackmo

devil's avocado

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13999 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 10:36 AM

The thing is, I can see where PT is coming from. I've only seen about ten movies this year and will be voting for like eight. So my third least favorite film is worth as much as someone like Theremin's 8th favorite out of a hundred.

Dude, I've seen Theremin's list. That only seems fair.

#74 Elemeno P.T.

Elemeno P.T.

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3951 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 11:57 AM

If your list is as short as expected, it stands to reason you might think they're all 9's. And fuck the naysayers.

Don't get how that would stand to reason. I'm sure he's particular about the movies he chooses, especially since he sees less...but that doesn't mean he's going to think all 10 movies he sees are 4 star films (which a 9.0 or higher would indicate). I saw many more movies than Yancy, I suspect and I only have 4 or 5 that I'd give a 9.0 to.

If it's easier than a 10 point scale, just indicate which films are 4 stars, 3 1/2 and 3 stars.
Oskar, Oskar Oskar!

#75 yancy

yancy

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20240 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 12:02 PM

I'm sure he's particular about the movies he chooses,

Not really. Whatever's playing at a nearby theater when I'm in the mood to sit on my ass for two hours. I probably shouldn't vote unless you guys really want stuff like Superbad and Spider-Man 3 placing even higher.

#76 theremin

theremin

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6383 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 12:04 PM

Not really. Whatever's playing at a nearby theater when I'm in the mood to sit on my ass for two hours. I probably shouldn't vote unless you guys really want stuff like Superbad and Spider-Man 3 placing even higher.

Spider-man 3!?!!?

Don't vote.

#77 Slackmo

Slackmo

devil's avocado

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13999 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 12:05 PM

Don't get how that would stand to reason. I'm sure he's particular about the movies he chooses, especially since he sees less...but that doesn't mean he's going to think all 10 movies he sees are 4 star films (which a 9.0 or higher would indicate). I saw many more movies than Yancy, I suspect and I only have 4 or 5 that I'd give a 9.0 to.

If it's easier than a 10 point scale, just indicate which films are 4 stars, 3 1/2 and 3 stars.

I know, but basically you've set up a system with a pretty solid point system, and you're asking that some folks self-select to have their votes count less. And I'd venture that a 3-1/2 star movie is an 88 on metacritic, which round off much closer to a 9 than an 8. It's not out of the question that like a lot of folks who see fewer movies, he goes to ones he's more predisposed to appreciate.

#78 yancy

yancy

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20240 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 12:09 PM

Spider-man 3!?!!?

Don't vote.

I defy you to show me a more entertaining piece of film this year than the Emo Pete Wentz Parker second act.

#79 TJENZ

TJENZ

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10508 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 12:11 PM

[i thought DP was alright)

oh my :blink:

2008-01-15-coopdevil01_lg.jpg

#80 Elemeno P.T.

Elemeno P.T.

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3951 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 01:16 PM

Nah- throw out a list- it shouldn't be that painstaking to give them a point total or a star rating.
This post reflects exactly on the reason I thought the new adjustment to voting is a good idea. If I only saw ten movies in 07', I'm sure there'd be two I just didn't like so I'd only rank 7. If Spiderman was one of those movies I'd have it at #7, a solid, fun 3 star movie IMO. Without the new adjustment, on my list Spiderman would score as a #7 film. In reality, I saw about a movie a week, so at least 45 movies this year- all of my top ten I consider to be 4 star movies.
Oskar, Oskar Oskar!