• Please log in to reply
337 replies to this topic

#281 hummingbird

hummingbird

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 01:43 PM

Anyone know a good temp agency or have any advice on what to do with myself? I graduated from law school in May, took the Bar exam in July and am now just basically sitting around, waiting for my results and trying to sort out what it is I even want to do with my future. Part of me is thinking of using my JD to do legal marketing as a I have a communication background from college and question my interest in really becoming an attorney (license or no license). But mostly, I am just bored out of my mind with nothing to do.

#282 Freddie Freelance

Freddie Freelance

Dieu d'Or

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6335 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 02:13 PM

Anyone know a good temp agency or have any advice on what to do with myself?

I graduated from law school in May, took the Bar exam in July and am now just basically sitting around, waiting for my results and trying to sort out what it is I even want to do with my future.

Part of me is thinking of using my JD to do legal marketing as a I have a communication background from college and question my interest in really becoming an attorney (license or no license). But mostly, I am just bored out of my mind with nothing to do.

There are probably a Dozen temp agencies specializing in Legal & Law placement in Chicago; just Google "Legal Temp, Chicago, Il" and go from there. The Placement Office of your school should also be able to point you at a respectable a Placement Agency.
Rev. Dr. Frederick J. Freelance, Ph.D., Th.D., D.F.S.
Posted Image

Should have stayed home and drank beer instead of going to work today.

Now Playing: Brahms, Symphony No 2; Giulini - Wiener

Heh heh, he said "Wiener"...

#283 velocity

velocity

Chanel No. ♪♫

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10085 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 02:26 PM

JD but no license is a decent entry into the wonderful world of labor relations/human resources management. If you think you would like that sort of work. You could probably get temp work (management analyst?) at Half or Spherion, places like that.

#284 musicgurl

musicgurl

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1498 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 11:23 PM

I've now joined the ranks of the FUNemployed; well technically my last is this coming Saturday but still. This working four days over two weeks but still getting paid for the whole two weeks ain't bad at all. Funemployed indeed.
Elbow Deep In Chocolate Daily "Beauty is only a light switch away." - Chef Dale "And in the words of Albert Schweitzer...I fancy you." - Eddie Izzard "I haven't felt this devastated since Krakow was left standing with his bike, and Jordan Catalano pulled away with Angela." -- Janeane Garofalo

#285 Bleep Blop

Bleep Blop

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3515 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 12:54 AM

Yeah, being funemployed and just sitting around kinda fucking sucks. Still waiting to get the first post college job-- went on a 2nd interview Wednesday for an assoc. editor job. Seemed to go pretty well, so hopefully I'll be working/moving out of home/getting paid pretty soon. Good vibes my way, please. Some positive witchcraft/voodoo/whatever.

#286 dirty hippie

dirty hippie

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2486 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 06:17 PM

i now have a job at niu's audio/visual department. my job consists of running lights, soundboards, setting up mics, laptops, projectors, etc for events at the student center. this job will be unfathomably easy, not to mention that i will be in possession of a GIANT RING OF KEYS THAT CAN GET ME PRETTY MUCH ANYWHERE IN/ON THE BUILDING! sweet titties. \o/

#287 Bleep Blop

Bleep Blop

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3515 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 06:42 PM

i now have a job at niu's audio/visual department. my job consists of running lights, soundboards, setting up mics, laptops, projectors, etc for events at the student center. this job will be unfathomably easy, not to mention that i will be in possession of a GIANT RING OF KEYS THAT CAN GET ME PRETTY MUCH ANYWHERE IN/ON THE BUILDING!

sweet titties. \o/

I don't go to school there, but I know a guy that works somewhere in the student center that seems to have no problem getting roof access to let people up there on a fairly consistent basis. Sounds like fun when it's nice out.

#288 Bleep Blop

Bleep Blop

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3515 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 10:38 AM

Yeah, being funemployed and just sitting around kinda fucking sucks. Still waiting to get the first post college job-- went on a 2nd interview Wednesday for an assoc. editor job. Seemed to go pretty well, so hopefully I'll be working/moving out of home/getting paid pretty soon. Good vibes my way, please. Some positive witchcraft/voodoo/whatever.

Welp, I feel like just about the biggest fucking asshole in the world right now. Didn't get this job, put way too much on it. Still jobless.

#289 dice

dice

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4074 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 11:43 AM

Welp, I feel like just about the biggest fucking asshole in the world right now. Didn't get this job, put way too much on it. Still jobless.

when did you graduate? may?
http://www.kiva.org

make a difference
99% repayment!

#290 dice

dice

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4074 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 11:52 AM

I hear you on the isolated from humanity thing. I'm not totally isolated, but often I miss the interaction with people that I've had at previous jobs

i'm sorta in the same boat. i work with 3 dudes who are friends, so i'm kinda the odd man out. and two of the three usually leave in the morning, so the human interaction is limited the remainder of the day

make a difference
99% repayment!

#291 Bleep Blop

Bleep Blop

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3515 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 12:07 PM

when did you graduate? may?

Mid June. I know it's really not that awful of a gap and probably an all around common thing, but this sitting at home-not-doing-anything stuff is awful.

Just got an e-mail from the dude who was the hiring manger/woulda been my editor, and basically said I was "this close" and would've got it had it not been for another lady who had a few years of experience who also interviewed. I guess that's good, but doesn't really make me feel too much better.

#292 Hewletts Daughter

Hewletts Daughter

SING! CAPTAIN!

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9713 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 12:09 PM

Mid June. I know it's really not that awful of a gap and probably an all around common thing, but this sitting at home-not-doing-anything stuff is awful.

Just got an e-mail from the dude who was the hiring manger/woulda been my editor, and basically said I was "this close" and would've got it had it not been for another lady who had a few years of experience who also interviewed. I guess that's good, but doesn't really make me feel too much better.

Yeah, it's really not that awful of a gap for ya, truth be told. Just keep applying everywhere you can and see where it leads you.

And what are you looking to do? Any area you're looking to get involved in?
I've got dials and knobs soft to the touch

#293 velocity

velocity

Chanel No. ♪♫

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10085 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 12:42 PM

Yeah, it sucks coming in second.

Be sure to let the guy know to keep you in mind if he sees anything else come up that would be a good fit for you.

#294 Hero

Hero

Wildcard

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8995 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 12:46 PM

Hang in there guys.... i think "temp to hire" are quite nice, grab em if u can i know i made the mistake of not seeking those out when i was recently applying our firm just hired someone who did temp to hire. If you aren't aware how that works, your first 30 days at a company are a trial period, then they officially hire u after that. first 30 days also is paid to you by the temp agency, so the money sucks, but after that, you're good
"the ladies have been checking me out lately.... could it be the 10 push-ups i've been cranking out every other Sunday? - Perhaps!" -Scrubs

Some people are a lot like slinkys... kinda useless, not really good for anything -but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs

Posted Image

"After much thought into this, I have finally come to a conclusion as to why the ‘Meet the Spartans’ commercial is so funny:

It is an interesting choice to have Sanjaya sing ‘I’m not gay,’ as his final words on earth. As he is plummeting into a seemingly bottomless pit, he does not say ‘dear god no,’ ‘I love you mom,’ or even simply ‘argh.’ He instead takes the moment to reaffirm to the world, in spite of their doubts, that he is not a homosexual. Not only that, but he continues to sing, despite falling to his certain death. The distinct lack of plausibility of this situation is what produces giggles from our mouth. It is the antithesis to the belief that ‘it’s funny because it is true.’
"

#295 dice

dice

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4074 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 12:56 PM

Hang in there guys.... i think "temp to hire" are quite nice, grab em if u can

i know i made the mistake of not seeking those out when i was recently applying
our firm just hired someone who did temp to hire.

If you aren't aware how that works, your first 30 days at a company are a trial period, then they officially hire u after that. first 30 days also is paid to you by the temp agency, so the money sucks, but after that, you're good

and even if you don't get hired you at least have on your resume that you were doing something

i graduated in may following the WTC attacks. job market suuuuuucked. i didn't get a decent job for a year and a half. and after a year on that job i was laid off. then another lengthy unemployment. so i have great sympathy for job hunters. it's a brutal job in and of itself but you don't get paid

make a difference
99% repayment!

#296 Bleep Blop

Bleep Blop

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3515 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 12:59 PM

Yeah, it's really not that awful of a gap for ya, truth be told. Just keep applying everywhere you can and see where it leads you.

And what are you looking to do? Any area you're looking to get involved in?

Just mainly looking at reporting/editorial/writing/web jobs. All of those combined would be great, but at this point I don't know if I can afford to wait much longer on something like that. I've looked at marketing a bit as well, but the interview I had with a coordinator didn't pan out too well, nor did it really seem all that great. My degree was in journalism, but from the places I've talked to so far(smaller papers that really don't pay much, Sun-Times,etc), it's hard as hell to get into any sort of actual paper/newsroom setting.

Yeah, it sucks coming in second.

Be sure to let the guy know to keep you in mind if he sees anything else come up that would be a good fit for you.

Yeah, I e-mailed him pretty quickly just giving a quick "thank you"/"anything I can do to give a better showing on other interviews?", and he was nice enough about it. I guess you never know, it's just a bit of a discouraging thing for the time being.

I figure the temporary job is the next thing in line- no benefits for the most part, but at least I can interview elsewhere while working one of those.

This feels way too much like I'm just trying to date really stuck up girls who have sky high standards. I never really enjoyed that, either.

#297 Hewletts Daughter

Hewletts Daughter

SING! CAPTAIN!

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9713 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 01:05 PM

it's hard as hell to get into any sort of actual paper/newsroom setting.

Very much a fact.

I graduated with a degree in journalism and now I'm in some office doing PR. It's not THAT much of a stretch, but it's still not directly related to my degree (it is related to one of my minors, though...whatever).

Have you tried even sinking your teeth in with some smaller market papers and websites? They might not be super glorious, but they're a good way to get your foot in the door. Same with trying to do some freelancing if you can. The pay sucks (and is sometimes nonexistent), but hey, it can be more to add to your resume and portfolio.

But yeah, us journalism guys. What a fucked up world we have to compete in now a days.

I wish you the best, BleepBlop.

Only on the internet can I write that sentence and not be viewed as crazy.
I've got dials and knobs soft to the touch

#298 Bleep Blop

Bleep Blop

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3515 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 01:19 PM

haha, yeah- Thanks though, I appreciate it. I've been freelancing here and there(not as much lately..I think one of my old professors is getting a couple investigative pieces on Chicago housing I did published somewhere), but probably not as much as I should be. Thing about smaller markets is, while I wouldn't mind doing that- I'm just not sure if I'd really thrive in a place like say... Alton, IL. Plus I figure that the most important thing I have to do now is get a really good grasp on the technological side of things- so I might just try to go for something more in that vein for the time being if it's possible. Shoot, who knows though. Definitely a few necessary evils you have to go through starting off. Moving away from the city for a bit might have to be one of them, I guess.

#299 velocity

velocity

Chanel No. ♪♫

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10085 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 03:30 PM

Yeah, I e-mailed him pretty quickly just giving a quick "thank you"/"anything I can do to give a better showing on other interviews?", and he was nice enough about it. I guess you never know, it's just a bit of a discouraging thing for the time being.

I figure the temporary job is the next thing in line- no benefits for the most part, but at least I can interview elsewhere while working one of those.

This feels way too much like I'm just trying to date really stuck up girls who have sky high standards. I never really enjoyed that, either.

Maybe a temp gig doing technical writing...or working for a consulting firm that writes job descriptions, etc.

#300 nobodies

nobodies

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3852 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 04:33 PM

Anyone know a good temp agency or have any advice on what to do with myself?

I graduated from law school in May, took the Bar exam in July and am now just basically sitting around, waiting for my results and trying to sort out what it is I even want to do with my future.

Part of me is thinking of using my JD to do legal marketing as a I have a communication background from college and question my interest in really becoming an attorney (license or no license). But mostly, I am just bored out of my mind with nothing to do.

I know this is a few days late, but:

My brother-in-law's in the exact same position as you, and my wife was in that position 7 years ago. Brother-in-law is looking for a bartending gig while he waits out the bar results/finds a real job (not that bartending isn't a real job). My wife started out in consulting at Accenture. That only lasted about three years though because she hated the commute....and frankly, if you're going to be a consultant you may as well just practice law. They're both all about billable hours and client development at the end of the day.

As for legal marketing, that's a tough call. I know one attorney who did it and loves it, but I know a couple others who hated it.

Maybe think about looking for an in-house legal position.