1145 replies to this topic

#1141 Agrimorfee

Agrimorfee

Too nice for his own good

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13306 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 05:04 PM

Don't tell Nick. Seriously though, we have the voting thread for pimping these movies a few months beforehand.

"Is everyone on here just an act sometimes?"--Hummingbird

Read all of my stupid song parodies here. Latest song improved/ruined: "No More Mr. Nice Guy" by Alice Cooper.

Download all of my alleged music free through the remainder of May at www.soundclick.com/agrimorfee

Also jabbering about music and movies at www.rateyourmusic.com

#1142 b*derty

b*derty

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4298 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 06:55 PM

Bonus Point Alert

Who was originally slated to star as Llewelyn Moss in NCFOL?

james brolin (josh's dad, they wanted james but asked josh by mistake, and rewrote the script to make it work for josh)

Posted Image

#1143 Johnny's Shack

Johnny's Shack

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1046 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 11:00 PM

From Roger Ebert's 4 star review:

Ebert must have handed out like 20 four star reviews in '07.

#1144 Johnny's Shack

Johnny's Shack

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1046 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 11:40 PM

13. The Darjeeling Limited
[font=Arial Black][size=3]
Directed by: Wes Anderson

As a huge fan of Anderson's first four films I have to say I'm pretty let down by this. First time I saw it I felt let down, made myself see it again so I could better appreciate it and did, and then a few months later when it came out on DVD I couldn't even finish watching it. It's just boring, and for the first time in his career he regresses rather than grows. "Life Aquatic" saw him taking his style and tinkering with it just a bit to wind up with something approaching full-on mainstream appeal. This one just takes two steps backwards, rehashing old themes of family, loss and the past a la Tennenbaums. The slow-mo "meaningful" scenes are forced and overdone rather than poignant, which is a first for Anderson. The scene that is supposed to be the rawest evocation of emotion - when they're all staring at each other in a circle - is painfully awkward and underwhelming. And the movie needs an event totally external to the plot to be a pivotal propeller of action - the drowning kid scene. It's just Andersen forcing more (though it did provide for my favorite line of the movie - Wilson's "Look at these assholes"). It seemed like Anderson was just going through the motions and churned out something only his fans might like; it's a b-side. For the first time it seemed like appreciating the dialog and character interaction rested heavily on you having a familiarity with the director. Lazy. I think he spent too much time scouting locales and filling up the "mis-en-scen" with peculiar props than worrying about the nuts and bolts of a good story.

#1145 Johnny's Shack

Johnny's Shack

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1046 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 12:08 AM

04. Ratatouille
[font=Arial Black][size=3]
Directed by: Brad Bird

Can someone please refute my criticism of this movie? I really can't understand how it garnered such massive critical acclaim. I saw it twice in theaters and was really restless and bored the second time I saw it.

The plot is a mess. It has an identity crisis over who is the protagonist. The beginning is awesome and the end is awesome, ie, the parts about the rat. He's great. And yeah, the animation and direction is superior to pretty much all the other Pixar offerings. But looks are superficial. The character who gets the most screen-time, Linguine, sucks. He's a bumbling, incapable, clumsy fool. It's hard to like and get attached to him because he's so inept at handling anything and has essentially no winning traits. And he doesn't change or develop over the course of the movie. He's the same fool at the end. And the meaty body of the movie focuses on him, not to mention his 100% tacked-on, cliche romance plot. What is the value of that subplot except filling time? It's been done a million times before and adds nothing new. And after focusing on Linguine for about an hour, it's time to shift focus back to the rat at the end and then the movie is over. Of course there's been great movies with two main characters, Midnight Cowboy for example, but focusing on them so disjointedly is not an effective way to pull it off. I'd take Toy Story, Nemo, or even Cars any day.

#1146 Asher Ford

Asher Ford

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1172 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 10:29 PM

Can anybody put a complete text-only list in here? List of things I still need to see (for personal use): Persepolis The Diving Bell and the Butterfly I'm Not There Black Book Sicko Control American Gangster Before the Devil knows You're Dead Perfume: The Story of a Murderer Live Free or Die Hard Charlie Wilson's War 28 Weeks Later Shoot 'Em Up 2 Days In Paris The Hunting Party Black Snake Moan Bug The Orphanage Joshua The Trials of Darryl Hunt Lust, Caution Into Great Silence A Mighty Heart Freedom Writers Daywatch The Killer of Sheep Time A Walk To Beautiful In the Shadow of the Moon Joe Strummer: the Future is Unwritten Day Night Day Night Reign Over Me The Ten The Hoax Helvetica About a Son The Kingdom Mr. Brooks Surf's Up You, the Living