24 replies to this topic

#1 Freddie Freelance

Freddie Freelance

Dieu d'Or

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6335 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 05:52 PM

OK, now that I'm actually putting ideas to medium I'm going to upload some of what I do. All these tracks should be on my Virb.com page, too.

Posted Image

Drones - Naked Gunman

A double CD's worth of experimental electronics using overlapping noise-based drones playing time & tone shifted noise tracks ,often dozens of copies of a single source, off and against each other to create beat frequency throbs, overlapping rhythms and near chords.

My favorite pieces are 2 of the shortest: "Gong Roll" & "Chaos Ascent (Drone Four)", and "Drone One" which is the longest.

"Time Bass (Francis E. Dec Mix)" - Augenblick

A track based on an accidental rhythm track I created while playing with a free VTS Host program, overlaid with an ambient tone and a Text to Speech-ified reading from Francis E. Dec's "GANGSTER COMPUTER GOD WORLD- WIDE SECRET CONTAINMENT POLICY!!" rant.

"The Great Northern Subtropical Gyre" - Augenblick

Another demo track, with a Bassline built on D-lusion Rubber Duck TB-303 Emmulator, a rhythm track built on the Hammer Head Rhythm Station, and another ambient tone I built in Audacity laid on top; Its an attempt to build upon & expand the track of the same name I made for the RPM Challenge.
Rev. Dr. Frederick J. Freelance, Ph.D., Th.D., D.F.S.
Posted Image

Should have stayed home and drank beer instead of going to work today.

Now Playing: Brahms, Symphony No 2; Giulini - Wiener

Heh heh, he said "Wiener"...

#2 Sid Hartha

Sid Hartha

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4401 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 10:29 AM

I'm a big noise fan - will definitely check this out.

#3 Sid Hartha

Sid Hartha

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4401 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 10:23 AM

well, this is just chock full of droney goodness :)

#4 Freddie Freelance

Freddie Freelance

Dieu d'Or

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6335 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 01:33 AM

Thank you!

I think I'm going to be done with the drones for a while, after just one more: Naked Gunman - V2s over Brooklyn.
Posted Image

#5 Freddie Freelance

Freddie Freelance

Dieu d'Or

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6335 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 06:57 PM

A new Augenblick demo, "A Secret Shelter," based on Creative Commons Licensed samples from "A Secret Life" from Byrne & Eno's Bush of Ghosts.
Posted Image

#6 Freddie Freelance

Freddie Freelance

Dieu d'Or

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6335 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 04:21 PM

Does anyone here know how to register as a Last.fm artist? I tried but kept getting kicked back to the start page.

I've created another track based on Byrne & Eno's Bush of Ghosts, this one from "Help me Somebody":

"Some Friend" - Augenblick
Posted Image

#7 Freddie Freelance

Freddie Freelance

Dieu d'Or

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6335 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 01:51 PM

Naked Gunman Last.FM Page! :D
Posted Image

#8 Freddie Freelance

Freddie Freelance

Dieu d'Or

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6335 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 11:23 PM

I've figured out how to divide my music on Virb.com into separate pages for my different albums; this'll make it easier to find individual tracks when I upload something, you won't have to search through everything listed in the Virb player.

I've got a new Naked Gunman track called "Rust Filled Wastes" on my Virb.com Naked Gunman Demos Page. This one's a little less drone-y, a little more noisy, and has a bunch of sequenced electronics take it over for several minutes toward the end.
Posted Image

#9 Freddie Freelance

Freddie Freelance

Dieu d'Or

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6335 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 07:24 PM

I've come up with a fun little wrinkle while playing around with VST Host: I've been playing Exotica songs through a series of virtual synths and sending the output through a bunch of effects, turning the output into noise.

Roomfull o' Nipples - NoisXotica
Posted Image

#10 Freddie Freelance

Freddie Freelance

Dieu d'Or

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6335 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 07:28 PM

I've uploaded a new Naked Gunman Noise experiment called "Summer Twilight on Triton".

This one is sort of Ambient I guess, although it's full of gongs that wander around in the stereo mix.
Posted Image

#11 Freddie Freelance

Freddie Freelance

Dieu d'Or

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6335 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 05:26 PM

Has anyone noticed I like Gongs? I've added "Gamelan of the Ill Winds" to the Naked Gunman Demos Page. it's closely related to "Summer Twilight on Triton," it used the same Bells that wander through that, but is more focused on the Gong tones and less on the noise. And it's alot shorter: about 1/4 the length of "Twilight."
Posted Image

#12 Freddie Freelance

Freddie Freelance

Dieu d'Or

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6335 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 01:43 PM

I've been remixing parts of the Nine Inch Nails' "the slip" album from the multitracks, which have been posted for download by Trent Reznor at nin.com, and I've put a couple of my remixes up on the Nine Inch Nails Remix site:

http://remix.nin.com...reddiefreelance

One of the tracks is listed as "BY - NC - SA SOME RIGHTS RESERVED (1,000,000)" but it should be "Their Degenerate Hordes Shouted a Million Gibbering Blasphemies (1,000,000)" and is some Black Ambient with unintelligible grumbling vocals that build up in layers over layers for nearly two minutes before too much tambourine kicks in, along with some heavily effect-laden guitar.

The other track, "Slip Into Noise (999,999)" is actually less noisy than the previous track, but still is fairly dark ,with white noise cresting in waves in the background and what sound like out of tune strings slowly sliding up over grumbling synth parts.

A third track, "The Microwave Scream Inside Your Skull (Corona Radiata)," is still being checked by the remix site's gatekeepers before being posted; the track is a drone piece made out of phase altered parts of the track "Corona Radiata" with backwards masked synth & drum parts that bounce back & forth in the mix.
Posted Image

#13 Freddie Freelance

Freddie Freelance

Dieu d'Or

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6335 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 12:09 PM

I'm taking down Roomfull o' Nipples - NoisXotica from Virb to make room for new demos.

I've added a new augenblick Demo called "Space Boop." It's a light & spritely little bit of Electronica with a very non 4/4 beat.
Posted Image

#14 Freddie Freelance

Freddie Freelance

Dieu d'Or

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6335 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 01:49 AM

I've uploaded a new NIN remix: "Pants-Eating Aeron Chair" is made from parts of the track 1,000,000 from the slip.

I just put together a cover of Deerhoof's “Fresh Born” on imeem.

I've also uploaded another gentler, spacier augenblick track called "Revelatrix" to my Virb augenblick Demos page
Posted Image

#15 Freddie Freelance

Freddie Freelance

Dieu d'Or

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6335 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 08:44 PM

I'm having some trouble uploading my remixes to the Nine Inch Nails remix site, so I've made a temporary location for them on Virb.com called after the slip. So far I've only got one track, "Breath Control (Discipline)," made from multiple overlapping copies of the backing vocals and the sound of Trent Reznor drawing breaths, a loop of part of the Bass track, and a Text to Speech converter reading part of the lyrics.
Posted Image

#16 Freddie Freelance

Freddie Freelance

Dieu d'Or

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6335 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 09:21 PM

I'm back and feeling better. :)

I made a new Naked Gunman track called "Bits & Bits" that's more in the Noise vein & less Ambient & Drone-y.

I'm working on a suite based on the SubGenius Pamphlet #1; the first part of the suite is called "The World Ends Tomorrow and YOU MAY DIE!" and I have up on Virb.com.
Posted Image

#17 Freddie Freelance

Freddie Freelance

Dieu d'Or

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6335 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 09:25 PM

I have an odd request, could someone write a description of my music I can use on Last.fm? I'm too close to it to describe it myself.
Posted Image

#18 Freddie Freelance

Freddie Freelance

Dieu d'Or

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6335 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 01:38 AM

OK, it's almost time for the the RPM Challenge again, where you try to make an album during the month of February, at least 10 songs or 35 minutes of new original music laid down to tape, or computer files in my case, and I'm going to go for it again.

As a warm up I made a couple tracks for their Whale Challenge, which is to be whale themed in some way.

I used a public domain whalesong recording from mkoenig at the Freesound Project, and then adding a number of samples pulled from the stems of "Demon Seed" by NIN and then tweaked, distorted, and reconstructed:

Naked Gunman - "Whales of Doom.mp3"

I made a second track with only Creative Commons licensed sounds or ones I created from scratch myself. From the freesound Project I used WHALECRY 2 by mkoenig, and bamboo wind chimes by jppi_Stu.

I took 20 copies of the whale song, stretched & chopped them and overlapped them before mixing them down; the bamboo wind chimes I slowed down a couple hundred percent, ran'em through a delay, a phaser and a chorus. I then took a slowly rising squarewave tone, split into two channels, ran both sides through separate 20+ step phasers, combined them into one stereo signal, ran it through a chorus, a weird phaser/flanger that models 2 out of phase tape drives, and another chorus:

Naked Gunman - "The Tweaker Whale has Bugs in His Head, Man, Bugs in His Head!"

Gee, Maybe I should stop warming up now... Nah.

This one started with a piece of Royalty-Free Production Music, which I slowed down and then split into 40 mono tracks, variously sped up or slowed down, and then overlapped into one Stereo track. I then took another Whale Song from mkoenig, compressed it, and then ran it through a Ring Modulator. one last track took a Bamboo Flute from Archive.org, dropped it a couple octaves and ran it through a Chorus:

Naked Gunman - "Brass Whales"
Posted Image

#19 Freddie Freelance

Freddie Freelance

Dieu d'Or

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6335 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 03:22 PM

To wam-up & practice for the RPM Challenge I made an Ambient Drone piece called "Sirens Call in Vain" out of 35,000 copies of This Sample variously stretched, chopped, reversed, run through an Auto Wah, a Leslie emulator, several Chorus effects, and/or a Compressor, and thrown together in about 4 hours. The track is all siren warbles, cricket chirps, locust calls, wordless "ooooh"s & "aaaaah"s, organ swells, string drones and rumbling feedback, except they're not any of those things, they're just the one sample tweaked into different shapes.
Posted Image

#20 Freddie Freelance

Freddie Freelance

Dieu d'Or

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6335 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 01:44 PM

I've got my first RPM Challenge demo up, a piece called "Hoax 911 Call... With Guitars!" The track is based on an actual 911 call a hacker made to police in Colorado Springs to "punish" the father of a girl who had spurned his advances. I played the call against a short distorted heartbeat-like rhythm run through a Mutron and several copies of the call run through numerous effects: tracking oscillators, plate delays, phasers, Harmonic Generator, octivator, etc.

I also built a 15 second Bumper/Fill track called "The Jungle Broke Down" based on a not-quite-smooth, not-quite-broken rhythm and a series of Jungle/Drum & Bass tracks fed through a harmonic generator, phasers, and a plate reverb.
Posted Image