sin city

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3518 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 10:41 PM

an actual fucking cougar!
Posted Image

A 150-pound cougar was shot and killed Monday evening in the Roscoe Village neighborhood on Chicago's North Side, Chicago police said.

The incident occurred around 6 p.m. in an alley near North Hamilton Avenue and West Roscoe Street, according to officials.

Police cornered the cougar in the back yard of Ben Greene, 39, who lives on the 3400 block of North Hoyne. Greene said he heard a volley of gunfire shortly before 6 p.m. as he was bathing his 10-month-old son. His wife, Kate, ran upstairs screaming with their 3-year-old son, and they all took cover in a back room.
"even boarding in non-signature-view mode i feel your lists of concerts (no one cares) last.fm bullshit (ditto) and oversized .jpgs (srsly fuck off) may distract from my superior posts."

#2 Sam

Sam

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1493 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 10:43 PM

lol at thread description
(glorified) lurker

#3 gwa

gwa

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2071 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 10:50 PM

Poor kitty. What a sad picture. (Skinny, I'm glad he didn't eat you.)

#4 velocity

velocity

Chanel No. ♪♫

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10081 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 11:02 PM

WTF. Why not just tranquilizer darts? Don't you Chicagoons have an animal control unit? Or armed zookeepers?

#5 gwa

gwa

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2071 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 11:06 PM

WTF. Why not just tranquilizer darts? Don't you Chicagoons have an animal control unit? Or armed zookeepers?

Animal control is PATHETIC here. Sad but not surprising that the cops got to him first.

#6 sin city

sin city

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3518 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 11:39 PM

Animal control is PATHETIC here. Sad but not surprising that the cops got to him first.

um, this isn't the west. The last time a cougar was spotted in the city limits (outside of the zoo) is probably sometime in the 1800's. Animal control is equipped to catch dogs, cats, racoons and possums and other somewhat gentle woodland creatures- not 150 lb cats. Considering the neighborhood, I doubt the cops could really afford to wait.
"even boarding in non-signature-view mode i feel your lists of concerts (no one cares) last.fm bullshit (ditto) and oversized .jpgs (srsly fuck off) may distract from my superior posts."

#7 red

red

bored

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9490 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 11:56 PM

I saw a cougar or some other sort of large cat in a large open area in the industrial part of the city on my way to work awhile ago. I was on the Metra North line. I thought maybe I was crazy, but now I wonder if it was the same cat. Weird. I'm glad Henry and Sprinks didn't have to go to battle.

Red is right

#8 worrywort

worrywort

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3898 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 12:08 AM

10 shots!!!

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#9 red

red

bored

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9490 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 12:13 AM

Aw, that pic breaks my heart. :(

Red is right

#10 worrywort

worrywort

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3898 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 12:21 AM

One year and 10 days ago, it was a coyote
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#11 red

red

bored

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9490 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 12:23 AM

I still love that pic. That coyote has both courage and attitude.

Red is right

#12 theremin

theremin

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6367 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 12:30 AM

There are about 2,000 coyotes living in Chicago. I will probably be showing a movie at some point about coyotes living in urban environments.

#13 DrAftershave

DrAftershave

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 957 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 03:19 AM

poor thing. :(
I fully support people doing drugs on the streets. I'm sick and tired of people being selfish by doing drugs in the privacy of their own homes. Do it on the streets where you can share with your friends and neighbors. It's the Christian thing to do.

#14 Mitchell

Mitchell

dirty old man

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20691 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 03:26 AM

Posted Image

Refugee camp. Darfur.
Nice bowl of Crunchy Nut you got here, pretty expensive as I recall.

#15 Rad Monkey

Rad Monkey

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1861 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 03:40 AM

I see red foxes around cemeteries at night. They're like cute dogs. Mitch, this is more like "WTF a Puma in the city?" Pretty sweet, because they're making a comeback instead of being extinct. Plus, that crime scene photo is surreal.

--------
--------

#16 Mitchell

Mitchell

dirty old man

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20691 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 04:13 AM

Mitch, this is more like "WTF a Puma in the city?"

Oh yeah I see that, just the reaction again on this board completely baffles me. I'm sure if it had ripped a baby's face off there still would be people who were disappointed the police didn't cuddle it.

and no I don't think wild animals that wander into cities should be shot ten times, that's clearly not what my point is before that gets brought up.
Nice bowl of Crunchy Nut you got here, pretty expensive as I recall.

#17 Montana

Montana

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11536 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 05:41 AM

10 shots!!!

Posted Image

Probably a released pet.

http://www.chicagotr...5,0,98147.story

A spokesman for the Illinois Department of Natural Resources said Monday that the state's current wildlife code does not protect cougars because they are not considered a normal part of the ecosystem here. The official said the only state regulations that might come into play would be gun ordinances, but because police did the shooting that issue is moot.

Greene said he agreed with the police decision to kill the cougar.

"As far as I witnessed, they did a pretty good job," Greene said. "Hypothetically, if there were kids in the yard and the cougar jumps in, what would the cougar have done?"

lol. Not surprising that the Illinois DNR would want any rare animals killed. I wonder if the DNR spokesman even knows that the cougar is native to Illinois?

"eh fuck giving them a chance to breed and come back to this state even though they are native. Just fucking shoot 'em. They aint a part of the normal ecosystem of rabbits and deer in tame suburban streets".
Every Sunday morning I wake up
I see you by your dresser doing your make-up
Fluttering a Chinese fan in a Knoxville fashion
All last night you tossed and turned
Your body was hotter than the night Richmond burned
You say you had a bad nightmare about tractor trailers crashing
- The Felice Brothers

#18 sKinnY

sKinnY

Maître D'

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9439 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 07:06 AM

we heard the shots on our afternoon run through Roscoe. We just thought it was the usual gang violence that riddles that poor neighborhood.

"what kind of moe cop doesn't give her the old suck on my balls warning?

"Posted Image

#19 zolacolby

zolacolby

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 07:40 AM

It was gang violence. The Man ganged up on a poor pussycat. Have to wait for the necropsy to determine if it was wild or released.
"Maybe I should follow you around and smartify everything you say." "in barlight she looked allright, in daylight she looked desperate." "I'm gonna shower in that shit"

#20 solace

solace

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9404 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 07:49 AM

One year and 10 days ago, it was a coyote
Posted Image

how awful is it that i recognize that drink display as being from Quiznos? :(