24 replies to this topic

#1 Jigga

Jigga

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2073 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 10:23 AM

i was reading some old simon reynolds articles from the mid 90's, and he basically saying britpop was racist and he has some quotes from theb ritpop people like elastica etc, and to be honest, they just as ignorant as a bill o reilly. but is that grounds 4 racism as simon reynolds suggest, so i investigated. turns out, who is the biggest icon to britpop? morrisey. now, this dude at certain times has said he hated immigrants, and want them to leave so the uk can be like the "carry on" movie era. also, come to think about it, i remeber how the uk was celebrating when jarvis cocker embarrased MJ at the brits awards one year. seriously, everyone knows MJ is an eccentrick and just let him indulge himself, but the way these britpop types rejoiced after jarvis shook his ass, it was like the 1963 march on washington or some shit in terms of importance when ya add all this up, there is a link. but i think albarn has gone out of his way to be inclusive. just a theory, what do u think?

#2 norton

norton

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2910 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 10:30 AM

I don't think it is possible for an "era" to be racist. Other than that, it makes perfect sense, whatever "it" may be.

#3 Mitchell

Mitchell

dirty old man

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20691 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 10:32 AM

No.
Nice bowl of Crunchy Nut you got here, pretty expensive as I recall.

#4 falling and laughing

falling and laughing

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1089 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 10:34 AM

nobody will take this seriously, but there seemed to be a lot of backslapping over a return to 60s Britain, a country of consensus (around echoes of white bohemia) and the nation's good ol' days (bound up in empire/imperialism and a more rigid class system). The rock press, the worst culprits here, were very pleased to rally around things in their wheelhouse, things that fit a tidy sense of linear history. There was a point when searching for what was new and exciting was set aside for the rote and necrophiliac and there was a conscious decision to celebrate a Union Jack-waving version of Britannia -- something that at the time would have been abhorrent since the post-punk era.

#5 Duff.

Duff.

I'm a monsta, I'm a killa.

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5875 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 10:41 AM

Elastica could beat children and heil Hitler for all I care, I'll still listen to that record.

No, it'll be stupid, and we're already doing something stupid.
murderfbanner.gif

#6 Mitchell

Mitchell

dirty old man

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20691 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 10:42 AM

Scott OTM but like he says I can't take the thread seriously. It was a very backward looking and London-centric movement but I don't really think that it's founded on hating black music let alone black people. The press at the time actually thought that people would be on Jackson's side and changed their tune within in a day. There's nothing British people like more than seeing a deluded, pompous American star with a Messiah complex being brought down to earth by someone like Jarvis

#7 Mitchell

Mitchell

dirty old man

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20691 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 10:44 AM

and Morrissey was pretty much an outcast from Madstock until the breed of bands like The Libertines started to mention The Smiths as an influence.

#8 falling and laughing

falling and laughing

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1089 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 10:54 AM

steven wells, fyi:

http://www.thequietu...-folk-festival/

#9 Slackmo

Slackmo

devil's avocado

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13999 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 10:57 AM

Is "da" racist? Yes.
Someone Still Loves You Pants McJickson

#10 Mitchell

Mitchell

dirty old man

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20691 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 11:05 AM

steven wells, fyi:

http://www.thequietu...-folk-festival/

A rather strange quote selection there. Like the comment on there, whatever Jay-Z does it will be better than Oasis awful 2004 headline.

#11 HandBanana

HandBanana

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5760 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 11:08 AM

He's just eccentric, go on, let him fuck some kids.
[color="#FF0000"][size=3]I made some rock posters.
For the world.
That give worms to ex-girlfriends: [url="http://www.gigposter...tp://www.gigpos

#12 Meldrick Lewis

Meldrick Lewis

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1407 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 11:10 AM

How is it that sarcastic Morrissey lyrics and statements meant to point out how awful racism and class discrimination are have for decades been taken as proof of his xenophobia and prejudice? That's like saying Jonathan Swift WANTED people to eat their children.

#13 Huckle

Huckle

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 11:12 AM

I tend to agree that JayZ is a little mismatched as a Glasto headliner, but it makes some sense because he's got both classic singles (which have anthemic qualities, unlike, say, Nas or Ludacris) and albums. Seems like the kind of headliner that people would poo-poo beforehand and then, during the set, realizing "Oh yeah, I LOVE THAT HARD KNOCK LIFE SONG! AND THE 99 PROBLEM SONG!" And if Jay were smart, and he is, he'd have the Roots as his back-up band during the set and then bring Beyonce out for a Crazy in Love encore. It could be a historic set that changes a lot of minds. I also wonder if all the people saying that hip-hop is so totally wrong for Glasto would be so up in arms if Eminem or the Streets were headlining.
---------------------------------
Nobody knows I'm new wave

#14 HandBanana

HandBanana

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5760 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 11:13 AM

How is it that sarcastic Morrissey lyrics and statements meant to point out how awful racism and class discrimination are have for decades been taken as proof of his xenophobia and prejudice?

That's like saying Jonathan Swift WANTED people to eat their children.

Because people in general, need their messages to be delivered artlessly and unambiguously.
This is because most people are dumb as stumps.
[color="#FF0000"][size=3]I made some rock posters.
For the world.
That give worms to ex-girlfriends: [url="http://www.gigposter...tp://www.gigpos

#15 Meldrick Lewis

Meldrick Lewis

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1407 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 11:17 AM

I wanna point out most emphatically that "A Rush And A Push And The Lands Is Ours" is not anti-immigrant and "November Spawned A Monster" is not anti-handicapped. But then Jeremiah Wright's speech wasn't hateful, either.

#16 Mitchell

Mitchell

dirty old man

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20691 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 11:21 AM

I certainly wouldn't have chosen Jay-Z as a headliner, if I had wanted to go this year (I didn't) it would be down to the other two headliners also being not A-list bands and like I've said elsewhere better value for money festivals elsewhere. Glastonbury isn't the kind of festival that is that dependent on the headliners to be good anyway. I hope he destroys on the Saturday night though.

#17 maxexactly

maxexactly

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 11:33 AM

How is it that sarcastic Morrissey lyrics and statements meant to point out how awful racism and class discrimination are have for decades been taken as proof of his xenophobia and prejudice?

That's like saying Jonathan Swift WANTED people to eat their children.

Because people in general, need their messages to be delivered artlessly and unambiguously.

powerful postage...

#18 Jigga

Jigga

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2073 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 12:36 PM

nobody will take this seriously, but there seemed to be a lot of backslapping over a return to 60s Britain, a country of consensus (around echoes of white bohemia) and the nation's good ol' days (bound up in empire/imperialism and a more rigid class system). The rock press, the worst culprits here, were very pleased to rally around things in their wheelhouse, things that fit a tidy sense of linear history. There was a point when searching for what was new and exciting was set aside for the rote and necrophiliac and there was a conscious decision to celebrate a Union Jack-waving version of Britannia -- something that at the time would have been abhorrent since the post-punk era.

that a good point u make there. also, the crowds they were attracting had a hooligans element especially with those gallaghers. if u were asian or black, u'd have been dumb to even attempt going to one of these concerts. like, morrisey embraced skinheads, oasis the white thugs. me, could care less cause the music was very uninteresting to me, so i never really wanted to go. but just as an obersver, i observed this shit.

i think that why ticket sales are down on glastonburythis yr, cause of white/guitar resentment and obviously, black people gonnaattend 4 the 1st time and maybe these university upper middleclass kids think they gonna rob them or someshit like dat and so arent buying tickets.

but we have seen some alienating statements from the white/guitar community on hovas appearance, so again, i think we see some white resentment/entitlement coming thru. again, they are perfectly entitled to that type ofthought process, GOD knows, i'm as racist as they come, so i cant begrudge people their hang ups. but will make 4 an intersting event. i might be out da country butif i aint i'll check it on bbc.

#19 Mitchell

Mitchell

dirty old man

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20691 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 12:40 PM

Compared to the average lager lout contingent at an Oasis show, Glastonbury is very much full of more mature festival veterans, families and so on. and yes before this year no non white guitar music was ever performed at the festival and no black person had ever been. That's why I didn't want to post in this thread.

#20 Chicken Invaders!

Chicken Invaders!

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1982 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 12:49 PM

This thread wouldn't have anything to do with Noel Gallagher's recent comments, now would it?