257 replies to this topic

#241 KaBoom21

KaBoom21

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1475 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 01:23 PM

you use an with consonents and a with vowels.

With consonant and vowel sounds.

Ergo:

An MRI
An RBI
A U2 concert
An herb (American pronunciation)
A herb (British pronunciation)
A hotel (though "an hotel" exists as an old-fashioned alternative, with a pronunciation morel like "an otel.")
An hour

a magnetic resonance imaging scan

a runs brought in average

a Lockheed U.S. reconnaissance aircraft - U2 disambiguation.

WTF?

Did you even bother to read Vivian and Binko's insightful comments before quoting/ posting?
Right in that meaty part of the curve. Not showing off, not falling behind.

#242 Petition

Petition

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 01:30 PM

you use an with consonents and a with vowels.

With consonant and vowel sounds.

Ergo:

An MRI
An RBI
A U2 concert
An herb (American pronunciation)
A herb (British pronunciation)
A hotel (though "an hotel" exists as an old-fashioned alternative, with a pronunciation morel like "an otel.")
An hour

a magnetic resonance imaging scan

a runs brought in average

a Lockheed U.S. reconnaissance aircraft - U2 disambiguation.

WTF?

Did you even bother to read Vivian and Binko's insightful comments before quoting/ posting?

Simmer down.........do you own stock in Vivian and Binko's Restaurant? :P Viv and Binko's kind of has a nice ring to it for a franchise restaurant.
"Come on people now, smile on your brother, everybody get together, try to love one another right now....right now....Jesse Colin Young (Youngbloods). "Sugar, Sugar, honey, honey....you are my candygirl and you got me wantin' you.....*

#243 KaBoom21

KaBoom21

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1475 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 01:40 PM

Simmer down

My dad was fond of saying that. He'd be 85 if he were still alive.

Your responses indicated you didn't understand or bother to read what those two wrote.

And no way Binko's name is on a franchise restaurant.

#244 Petition

Petition

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 01:47 PM

Simmer down

My dad was fond of saying that. He'd be 85 if he were still alive.

Your responses indicated you didn't understand or bother to read what those two wrote.

And no way Binko's name is on a franchise restaurant.

Get laid.
"Come on people now, smile on your brother, everybody get together, try to love one another right now....right now....Jesse Colin Young (Youngbloods). "Sugar, Sugar, honey, honey....you are my candygirl and you got me wantin' you.....*

#245 KaBoom21

KaBoom21

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1475 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 01:54 PM

Get laid.

You're no Montana. Or Wyoming for that matter. I'm thinking Alaska.

#246 Petition

Petition

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 01:58 PM

Get laid.

You're no Montana. Or Wyoming for that matter. I'm thinking Alaska.

I'm strictly from Brooklyn. Kings County.

#247 shampoosuicide

shampoosuicide

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1055 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 03:52 PM

What the fuck is a "runs brought in average"?

Nevermind. Historic comes from history. How can anyone justify pronouncing it with a silent h?

#248 Petition

Petition

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 04:33 PM

What the fuck is a "runs brought in average"?

Nevermind. Historic comes from history. How can anyone justify pronouncing it with a silent h?

I wasn't ever much of a baseball fan, even though I was born in Brooklyn when the Dodgers were still there. I lived near Ebbet's field, but was too young to appreciate it. My older brother, however, would cry when we drove past where Ebbet's field was. It had been turned into a low-income housing project. He grew up to be a left handed basketball player at six foot seven. Never was good at baseball.

#249 Tony

Tony

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4238 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 12:14 AM

George Harrison should have titled his song 'I, Me, Mine', 'Nominative, Objective, Genitive'

#250 Slackmo

Slackmo

devil's avocado

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13999 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 12:37 AM

Ello, I'm enry iggins. Ow are ou?
Someone Still Loves You Pants McJickson

#251 Tony

Tony

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4238 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 12:45 AM

Ello, I'm enry iggins. Ow are ou?

Loverly.

#252 velocity

velocity

Chanel No. ♪♫

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10088 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 01:25 AM

Of course I pronounce the h in historic. It just sounds awkward when you say 'a historic...'

#253 Tony

Tony

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4238 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 01:56 AM

In response to the innuendo coming from anonymous McCain staffers about Sarah Palin, the good lady has e-mailed CNN a statement which begins with the following sentence... "This is so unfortunately and, quite honestly, sickening." Can someone please diagnose the diction problems here technically?

#254 Binko

Binko

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2272 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 11:50 AM

Of course I pronounce the h in historic. It just sounds awkward when you say 'a historic...'

How does "a historic" sound awkward? Do you say "an hotel"?

Anyhow, a Washington Post copy editor weighs in:

From "The Elephants of Style":

For choosing a or an, spelling doesn't matter; pronunciation does. A is for consonant sounds; an is for vowel sounds. The ever-popular an historic is incorrect, at least for American speakers, because historic does not begin with a vowel sound. Even those Americans who say "an istoric" will admit that they say "historic," with the consonant h, when the word stands alone. I don't care whether "an istoric" rolls off your tongue more easily than "a historic"; you don't go altering your pronunciation of a word in order to change the article you use before it. Your comfort is none of the language's concern.

Most of the times I've heard "an historic," however, it has been from blustery types who heartily pronounce the h. Think Howard Cosell.

Now, I truly don't care. If everyone decides that it's "an historic," that's fine with me, even though it seems a bit illogical and awkward. From my experience, I only hear "an historic" from certain newscasters and government types. Nobody I personally know says "an historic" in casual speech.

#255 Vivian Darkbloom

Vivian Darkbloom

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4426 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 12:29 PM

In response to the innuendo coming from anonymous McCain staffers about Sarah Palin, the good lady has e-mailed CNN a statement which begins with the following sentence...

"This is so unfortunately and, quite honestly, sickening."

Can someone please diagnose the diction problems here technically?

I'd say the main problem is that she's essentially conflating a predicate adverb modifying to be (i.e. this is unfortunately sickening) with a sentencial copular adverb (i.e Honestly, this is sickening in a manner that's unfortunate- where the adverb modifes the entire propositional content of the sentence). The coupling under the same predicate blurs the distiction between what is being proposed and modified.

If I were to edit her crime against diction while maintaining her apparent meaning as faithfully as possible, I'd probably render it as: "In all honesty, I find this unfortunately sickening." Which, honestly, isn't much better, unfortunately.
The God of language forgives all crimes. -W.H. Auden ***** Anthony B, Independent, March 16 Black Mountain, Rickshaw Stop, March 20 Earthless, Wooden Shjips, Cafe du Nord, March 28 Mastodon, Kylesa, Intronaut, Great American Music Hall, April 19 Opeth, Enslaved, Regency Grand Ballroom, May 14 Sun Kil Moon, Great American Music Hall, May 29

#256 velocity

velocity

Chanel No. ♪♫

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10088 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 01:44 PM

Now, I truly don't care. If everyone decides that it's "an historic," that's fine with me, even though it seems a bit illogical and awkward. From my experience, I only hear "an historic" from certain newscasters and government types. Nobody I personally know says "an historic" in casual speech.

Now that I think about it, I've only said it ironically. So in all probability I was channeling Howard Cosell for my amusement and the annoyance of others.

#257 QWERTY Hate Machine

QWERTY Hate Machine

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 01:40 AM

About 6 or 8 years ago, I wrote a line in a short film of mine, to be spoken by some thug-ass character in a solemn moment of personal strife, in the most obnoxiously confrontational, braggadocious way possible: "You're goin' to of wished you hadn't-a done did dat." It just took me 30 minutes to read through the first two pages of this thread, and before I obsessively work through the remaining few hundred (or is it "few-hundred"??? FUCK!) posts, I thought it best to liquor up and contribute a lil' whiff of obnoxious pedantry to the mix. As I diligently polish off the next few, we'll see if you lovable assholes have enough charm and charisma to overcome the sometimes-exhausting rhetoric, and keep these swampy eyes clearly focused.

#258 M_Rots

M_Rots

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4277 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 07:57 AM

I'ma bet dat shit dint go down.