257 replies to this topic

#161 Rajexico

Rajexico

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1640 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 09:07 AM

Well, your version was clunkier, but I guess whatever satisfies the editors.

I'm not writing a telegram. The gain in accuracy and clarity is clearly worth a very small increase in the number of words. Anyone who writes regularly has to rework sentences - yes, sometimes even adding words - in all sorts of situations. The English language is just not elegant.

I'm not really that stringent about these things. The initial issue I brought up was "Are REM getting their mojo back?" which is the worst of both worlds. If it was "Are the White Stripes getting their mojo back?" I never would have noticed it or brought it up in this thread.

And, oh boy. Don't even get me started on the "can" vs "may" debate, especially when asking for permission in the negative. (Should I have said "Mayn't I vent mine too? May I not vent mine too?" I assume you're just needling me, but just in case, both those options would not convey the conversational tone I was trying to convey.)

Yeah, just needling.

In the future there is only drink and birds.

lastfm

#162 Duff.

Duff.

I'm a monsta, I'm a killa.

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5865 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 09:25 AM

Well, your version was clunkier, but I guess whatever satisfies the editors.

I'm not writing a telegram. The gain in accuracy and clarity is clearly worth a very small increase in the number of words. Anyone who writes regularly has to rework sentences - yes, sometimes even adding words - in all sorts of situations. The English language is just not elegant.

Guess I should've just left it alone.

But I've been there, staring at a sentence, trying to hit the balance between sounding right, being clear, and adhering to AP style, in the end settling for something that, while most correct, seemed the weakest option.

I don't really have a point, so whatever.

No, it'll be stupid, and we're already doing something stupid.
murderfbanner.gif

#163 6ome 9irl

6ome 9irl

Freaky styley

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7584 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 09:46 AM

There was a girl in high school who constantly said, "I seen." It ruined all chances of me taking her seriously.

irregardless

Oh gosh, I hope you said this as a joke. Some Girl is going to hit you in the head with a brick.

Icky word!

#164 Damo Suzuki

Damo Suzuki

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3715 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 09:50 AM

Lately, I've noticed a trend in which people say "tooken" in place of "taken".
"One can't love man without hating most of the creatures who pretend to bear his name."

#165 Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ

Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9457 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 09:51 AM

tangentially related pet peeves: bombastic does not = forceful/resounding vapid does not = idiotic/oblivious back to grammar
Aren't there any girls out their who like good music? I need to and want to meet them. My favorite bands are Overkill River, The Nife, Songs:Ohio, and Nuetral Milk Hotel. Please let me know if your into indy music and like to go to show's and drink beer's and makeout.

#166 yancy

yancy

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20240 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 09:57 AM

Hey grammar nerds, I just said "if only it were" in another thread. Why is that correct (or not) as opposed to "if only it was"? Something to do with tense. It's been a long time since grade school. Also, is there a good place to put the question mark at the end of the second sentence above? I say no. Suppose it goes inside the quote, but that feels ridonkulous. Raj would just rewrite the sentence. I, however, am lazy.

#167 tweed

tweed

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3857 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 10:00 AM

Hey grammar nerds, I just said "if only it were" in another thread. Why is that correct (or not) as opposed to "if only it was"? Something to do with past tense. It's been a long time since grade school.

Also, is there a good place to put the question mark at the end of the second sentence above? I say no. Suppose it goes inside the quote, but that feels ridonkulous. Raj would just rewrite the sentence. I, however, am lazy.

"were" is right.

the ? should be inside but yeah, sometimes that just looks weird.

EDIT: Oh you're asking WHY "were" is correct. Not sure I know. Something about the past perfect tense and the conditional "if" requires it. But that's about the extent of my bullshitting ability.
Twilight Revival
Friday, March 13th - Thornwood Lounge (Wood Dale,IL)
Tuesday, April 21 - Abbey Pub (Chicago, IL)

Web Site I MySpace

#168 Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ

Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9457 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 10:04 AM

what do you write when a song is possessive? ("Enter Sandman's" pummeling brutality) changes the title of the song but I can't accept ("Enter Sandman"'s).

Also, is there a good place to put the question mark at the end of that sentence? I say no. Suppose it goes inside the quote, but that feels ridonkulous.

as far as I know, it's ridonkulous in England but acceptable here
Aren't there any girls out their who like good music? I need to and want to meet them. My favorite bands are Overkill River, The Nife, Songs:Ohio, and Nuetral Milk Hotel. Please let me know if your into indy music and like to go to show's and drink beer's and makeout.

#169 Waylon

Waylon

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4390 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 10:10 AM

Hey grammar nerds, I just said "if only it were" in another thread. Why is that correct (or not) as opposed to "if only it was"? Something to do with past tense. It's been a long time since grade school.

Also, is there a good place to put the question mark at the end of the second sentence above? I say no. Suppose it goes inside the quote, but that feels ridonkulous. Raj would just rewrite the sentence. I, however, am lazy.

"If only it were" uses the subjunctive. You're speaking about something that you hope or wish would be.

"If it was" is more concrete, where you're discussing something that has a chance of being a certain way.

Still waiting for Slackmo to delete this thread.

#170 ParticleHustler

ParticleHustler

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5460 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 10:13 AM

I put the ? outside the quotes, but . and , inside the quotes.

#171 Rajexico

Rajexico

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1640 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 10:15 AM

I disagree - "if only it was" is not meant to be questioning, so the question mark must stay outside the quotes to preserve the meaning of the quoted phrase.

lastfm

#172 Rajexico

Rajexico

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1640 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 10:17 AM

what do you write when a song is possessive? ("Enter Sandman's" pummeling brutality) changes the title of the song but I can't accept ("Enter Sandman"'s).

You're right not to accept it. Either say "Enter Sandman's" or write around it: The pummeling brutality of "Enter Sandman" ...

lastfm

#173 Binko

Binko

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2272 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 10:53 AM

"were" is right.

That convention only applies to commas and periods in American English. Question marks go on the outside, unless the quoted material itself is a question.

#174 tweed

tweed

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3857 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 10:55 AM

That convention only applies to commas and periods in American English. Question marks go on the outside, unless the quoted material itself is a question.

shows what i know - thanks
Twilight Revival
Friday, March 13th - Thornwood Lounge (Wood Dale,IL)
Tuesday, April 21 - Abbey Pub (Chicago, IL)

Web Site I MySpace

#175 ParticleHustler

ParticleHustler

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5460 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 11:09 AM

"were" is right.

I knew it! Wasn't sure of the rule, but it makes sense that way.

#176 6ome 9irl

6ome 9irl

Freaky styley

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7584 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 11:12 AM

The question mark goes inside the quotation marks in MLA style, no?

#177 Binko

Binko

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2272 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 11:20 AM

The question mark goes inside the quotation marks in MLA style, no?

MLA follows the same rules I mentioned above. Question marks go outside quotes unless the quoted material is itself a question.

#178 theminimumcircus

theminimumcircus

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2124 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 05:11 PM

My favorite two words in grammar/linguistics are: "clitic" and "genitive." In what other field can you say "By removing the clitic..." with impunity?
Wtf @ theminimuncircus retardly interjecting.

#179 brainstorm

brainstorm

Hipster

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2241 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 05:16 PM

This board is a wasteland of awful grammar, but this one in particular keeps returning to the top of the Music Discussion board and it's terribly annoying:

"Are REM getting their mojo back?"

No. Either the band known as REM is getting its mojo back

In which case, it ought to be "Is REM..." not "ARE"
"So?" - Dick Cheney

#180 Rajexico

Rajexico

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1640 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 05:23 PM

This board is a wasteland of awful grammar, but this one in particular keeps returning to the top of the Music Discussion board and it's terribly annoying:

"Are REM getting their mojo back?"

No. Either the band known as REM is getting its mojo back

In which case, it ought to be "Is REM..." not "ARE"

right, the plural is incorrect throughout

lastfm