367 replies to this topic

#1 Undercooked Sausage

Undercooked Sausage

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13801 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 02:13 PM

For those of you outsiders who don't post in the Now Gaming... thread. Our small cult has decided to put together a Top video games of the SOMB list, participation is strongly encouraged, but as people are starting to actually put together lists it's probably best to leave that thread for discussion and move these lists to this thread here.

Voting will go until the end of May 31, 2008. No exceptions, the countdown will begin promptly after. A point scale is still yet to be determined, but I probably will be using the same one used by Elemeno P.T. in his year-end movies thread.

A few rules I can think of

- No remakes, if you vote for a remake of a game, the original version of the game is what I will tally the vote for.
- No collections, if you are a huge Super Mario All-Stars fan, then list your votes for the Mario games seperately, same goes for arcade classic collections or the Sonic/Megaman collections.
- Still under dispute is how we handle series like Madden or WWF games, or even fighting series such as Street Fighter. Perhaps we will have to have a minor vote on how to tally or combine these series votes as I'm going to assume that there would be a lot of splitting between favorite years/rosters. ***EDIT: game series, even if they come out in yearly installments, will all be considered as stand-alone, much as any Mario, Sonic, or Final Fantasy is. If you feel that you only want to vote for one game in a series to represent your love for it, then that is under your own discretion.

I will still leave this open for contention, but as it stands, I'm fairly convinced every game should be ranked on it's own merit.

- All consoles are fair game, handheld games are allowed, PC games are allowed.
- Minimum list must be 5 video games, Maximum is a list of 100.

Alright, so go at it.
Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#2 Undercooked Sausage

Undercooked Sausage

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13801 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 02:15 PM

here is my list for a frame of reference

all right, if we are going to do a poll, i'll start a proper thread after finals, but heres a top 100, read em and weep

Sausage's Top 100 Video Games Of All-Time

the most 90s-centric list you'll ever read!

Posted Image

1. Super Mario Bros (NES)

Posted Image
2. Super Mario Bros 3 (NES)

Posted Image
3. Super Mario World (SNES)

Posted Image
4. Super Mario Galaxy (WII)

Posted Image
5. Final Fantasy III(VI) (SNES)

6. Earthbound (SNES)
7. Castlevania: Symphony Of The Night (PSX)
8. Street Fighter III: Third Strike (ARC)
9. Super Metroid (SNES)
10. Sonic The Hedgehog 2 (GEN)
11. Super Mario 64 (N64)
12. Ogre Battle: The March Of The Black Queen(SNES)
13. Chrono Trigger (SNES)
14. Final Fantasy VII(PSX)
15. Shenmue (DC)
16: Shenmue II(DC)
17. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island(SNES)
18. Megaman X(SNES)
19. Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
20. Resident Evil 4(GCN)
21. Star Wars: Knights Of The Old Republic(XBOX)
22. Megaman 3(NES)
23. Contra (NES/ARC)
24. Tactics Ogre: Let Us All Cling Together(SNES/PSX)
25: The Legend Of Zelda: Link's Awakening(GB)
26. Seiken Densetsu 3(SFC)
27. Final Fantasy IV(SNES)
28. Sonic The Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles(GEN)
29. Nights: Into Dreams(SAT)
30. Day Of The Tentacle(PC)
31. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles In Time(SNES)
32. Starcraft(PC)
33. Legend Of Mana (PSX)
34. Metal Slug 2(ARC)
35. Resident Evil 2(PSX)
36: The Legend Of Zelda: Twilight Princess(GCN/WII
37. Super Smash Bros: Brawl(Wii)
38. Grand Theft Auto IV(X360)
39. Star Fox 64(N64)
40. The Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time(N64)
41. Bioshock (X360)
42. New Super Mario Bros. (NDS)
43. Warcraft II: Tides Of Darkness(PC)
44. Mass Effect (X360)
45. Prince Of Persia: The Sands Of Time(PS2)
46. Secret Of Mana(SNES)
47. Sonic The Hedgehog CD(SCD)
48. Final Fantasy X(PS2)
49. Metal Gear Solid 2: The Sons Of Liberty(PS2)
50. Phantasy Star IV: The End Of The Millenium(GEN)
51. Kirby's Super Star(SNES)
52. Beyond Oasis(GEN)
53. God Of War(PS2)
54. Donkey Kong Country(SNES)
55. Sonic The Hedgehog (GEN)
56. Castlevania III(NES)
57. Panzer Dragoon(SAT)
58. Perfect Dark(N64)
59. Tales Of Symphonia(GCN)
60. Ice Hockey(NES)
61. Sonic Adventure (DC)
62. Soul Calibur III(PS2)
63. Suikoden II(PSX)
64. RoboTrek(SNES)
65. The Legend Of Zelda(NES)
66. Rock Band(X360
67. Megaman X4(PSX)
68. Goldeneye 007(N64)
69. Super Mario RPG: Legend Of The Seven Stars(SNES)
70. Donkey Kong(ARC)
71. Crash Bandicoot 2(PSX)
72. Suikoden II(PSX)
73. Portal(PC/X360)
74. Resident Evil(GCN)
75. Galaga(ARC)
76. Metroid(NES)
77. Sonic Adventure 2(DC)
78. Advance Wars: Days Of Ruin(NDS)
79. Final Fantasy Tactics(PSX)
80. Final Fantasy(NES)
81. Sonic Rush(NDS)
82. Katamari Damacy(PS2)
83. Dr. Mario (NES)
84. Kirby's Dreamland 2(GB)
85. DOOM (PC)
86. River City Ransom(NES
87. Suikoden (PSX)
88. Super Punch-Out!(SNES)
89. Bubble Bobble(NES)
90. Worms(PC)
91. Ms Pac-Man(ARC)
92. Ikari Warriors(NES)
93. Megaman 2(NES)
94. Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest(SNES)
95. Super Mario Kart(SNES)
96. Banjo-Kazooie(N64)
97. Pokemon(GB)
98. Toy Commander(DC)
99. Disney's Aladdin(GEN)
100. The Legend Of Zelda: The Wind Waker(GCN)

remakes, even if they were superior, such as Zero Mission for GBA, were not included. The only exception being Resident Evil remake for GCN because it makes the PSX version completely useless besides the PSX's better voice acting. Also, for series that consistently got better with each release but are more or less the same game(Street Fighter, Soul Calibur, Grand Theft Auto, Worms) I only included one entry representing those series.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#3 Hewletts Daughter

Hewletts Daughter

SING! CAPTAIN!

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9713 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 02:17 PM

Earthbound at six is too low And I think franchises should be counted as opposed to certain years in a franchise. It seems to make the most sense to me. I'll have a list sometime next week that will be pretty ok.
I've got dials and knobs soft to the touch

#4 elcorazon

elcorazon

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5647 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 02:27 PM

1. Pong 2. That golf game I used to play at the arcades 3. pac man 4. guitar hero 5. frogger
Sail Away: The Songs of Randy Newman -7.5/10
Dusty Springfield - Dusty in Memphis 8.5/10
Buddy & Julie Miller - Written in Chalk wow, first listen, but great great record! 9.3/10
Justin Townes Earle - Midnight at the Moviessurprisingly great, never picked up his past releases, but this one's knocking my socks off right away, 8.7/10
M. Ward - Hold Time 8.0/10
Neko Case -Middle Cyclone her best I've heard is my initial impression, but too soon to rate, haven't had a really good listen yet 7.8/10

#5 sin city

sin city

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3518 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 02:34 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image
"even boarding in non-signature-view mode i feel your lists of concerts (no one cares) last.fm bullshit (ditto) and oversized .jpgs (srsly fuck off) may distract from my superior posts."

#6 54cermak

54cermak

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3007 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 02:35 PM

1. Sim City 2. Katamari Damacy 3. MLB 2004 4. Centipede 5. Dance Dance Revolution 6. Mike Tyson's Punch Out Honorable Mention: Plaque Attack

#7 Duff.

Duff.

I'm a monsta, I'm a killa.

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5875 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 02:41 PM

28. Sonic The Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles(GEN)

Answers a very specific question I had.

No, it'll be stupid, and we're already doing something stupid.
murderfbanner.gif

#8 Undercooked Sausage

Undercooked Sausage

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13801 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 02:44 PM

any votes for Sonic 3 or Sonic & Knuckles will be combined it was supposed to be one game, and I will always see it as one game.
Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#9 Duff.

Duff.

I'm a monsta, I'm a killa.

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5875 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 02:46 PM

Agreed. Only way to play them. I think my list will look a lot like Sausage's.

No, it'll be stupid, and we're already doing something stupid.
murderfbanner.gif

#10 BRANDON BOYD FROM INCUBUS

BRANDON BOYD FROM INCUBUS

all sorts of chill

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5776 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 02:50 PM

i will have to think on this one for awhile

#11 Damo Suzuki

Damo Suzuki

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3715 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 02:51 PM

Dan, I think all games should be ranked individually. It is not accurate or reflective of gameplay to lump a number games in a series together. For instance while all the Street Fighter games shared a similar genre and in some cases a mechanic; none but the layman would argue that the gameplay of SSF2:Turbo was the same as that of SFZ1(JAPA).
"One can't love man without hating most of the creatures who pretend to bear his name."

#12 yancy

yancy

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20240 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 02:55 PM

I was just gonna pop in and say "I'll kill anyone who votes for Golden Tee," but elco already voted for it. Fucking gross. GT and shit like Big Buck Hunter brought about the death of actual fun games in bars, bowling alleys, etc.

#13 sKinnY

sKinnY

Maître D'

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9439 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 02:55 PM

1. Ms. Pacman (ARC) 2. Galaga (ARC) 3. Super Mario Bros (NES) 4. Contra (NES) 5. SKATE (X360) 6. Tempest (ARC) 7. Call of Duty 2(X360) 8. Donkey Kong (ARC) 9. Super Mario World (SNES) 10. Centipede (ARC) 11. Hot Shots Golf (PSP)

"what kind of moe cop doesn't give her the old suck on my balls warning?

"Posted Image

#14 Undercooked Sausage

Undercooked Sausage

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13801 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 02:57 PM

well Street Fighter Alpha 1 was more of a demo than a real street fighter. It's completely and utterly rendered worthless by it's successor. I believe the Vs. Series, Street Fighter II, Street Fighter III, the alpha series should all be judged as seperate games. Yes, I know there are HUGE differences between say, Third Strike and New Challengers, or X-men vs. Street Fighter vs. Marvel vs Capcom 2, but vote-splitting will cause none of these games to make the list at all. Lumping EVERY street fighter series into it's own franchise would be ridiculous, though I agree. I almost DID vote for Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 on my list despite already have a street fighter game on it. I can't think fo two fighters that are so vastly different from each other despite both having Ryu dragon punching in them. Obviously, when voting, you can vote for your favorite incarnation, such as your preference for SFA2, but I believe if the alpha games do end up ranking, the votes should be combined. Wrestling games such as No Mercy or Here Comes The Pain! are typically agreed to be the best incarnations in THQ's WWE line, I'm pretty much clueless on most sports games...
Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#15 Undercooked Sausage

Undercooked Sausage

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13801 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 02:59 PM

The other fact of the matter, Damo, is we might be wasting our time even discussing this as the chances of people getting die-hard about various street fighter incarnations are fairly low on a Chicago-based indie rock message board.
Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#16 Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ

Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9457 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 03:00 PM

here's my generic list, might add more later, probably won't #1. Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES) #2. Super Mario 64 (N64) #3. Kirby Super Star (SNES) #4. Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii) #5. Super Mario World (SNES) #6. Exile III: Ruined World (PC) #7. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (PS2) #8. Goldeneye 007 (N64) #9. NFL Blitz (N64) #10. Unreal Tournament (PC) if Super Mario All-Stars was allowed it would be #infinity obviously
Aren't there any girls out their who like good music? I need to and want to meet them. My favorite bands are Overkill River, The Nife, Songs:Ohio, and Nuetral Milk Hotel. Please let me know if your into indy music and like to go to show's and drink beer's and makeout.

#17 throughsilver

throughsilver

What happened last night?

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5508 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 03:03 PM

not very changed since the last time i did it: 001 Super Mario 64 | Nintendo 64 002 Secret of Mana | SNES 003 Final Fantasy III | SNES 004 Streetfighter II Turbo | SNES 005 Super Mario World | SNES 006 Mario Kart Advance | GBA 007 Super Metroid | SNES 008 Disgaea | PS2 009 Tetris | Gameboy 010 Guitar Hero | PS2 011 Rez | PS2 012 Final Fantasy VII | PlayStation 013 Ridge Racer | PlayStation 014 Super Monkey Ball | Gamecube 015 Metal Gear Solid | PlayStation 016 Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas | PS2 017 Metropolis Street Racer | Dreamcast 018 Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time | Nintendo 64 019 Doom | PC 020 Tekken V | PS2 021 Prince of Persia: Sands of Time | PS2 022 Dead or Alive | PlayStation 023 Devil Crash | PC Engine 024 Advance Wars | GBA 025 Bangai-O | Dreamcast 026 Frequency | PS2 027 Metroid Prime | Gamecube 028 Soul Calibur 3 | PS2 029 Syndicate | Amiga 030 Zelda: The Wind Waker | Gamecube 031 Ridge Racer Type 4 | PlayStation 032 Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 | Gamecube 033 Wipeout Pure | PSP 034 Jet Set Radio | Dreamcast 035 Tomb Raider | PlayStation 036 Outrun 2: Coast2Coast | PS2 037 Front Mission | SNES 038 Gunstar Heroes | Megadrive 039 Mr Driller | Dreamcast 040 Streetfighter III Third Strike | Dreamcast 041 Chrono Trigger | SNES 042 Yoshi's Island | SNES 043 Samurai Shodown | Neo Geo 044 Quake III | Dreamcast 045 R Type Final | PS2 046 Streetfighter Alpha 3 | Coin-op 047 Command & Conquer | PlayStation 048 Bust a Move 4 | PlayStation 049 Virtua Tennis | Dreamcast 050 Last Resort | Neo Geo 051 Space Channel 5 | Dreamcast 052 Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution | PS2 053 WWE SmackDown! Here Comes the Pain | PS2 054 Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo | Coin-op 055 NiGHTS: Into Dreams | Saturn 056 King of Fighters '98 | PlayStation 057 Streets of Rage 2 | Megadrive 058 Super Bomberman | SNES 059 Pulstar | Neo Geo 060 Pop 'n Bounce | Neo Geo 061 F Zero GX | Gamecube 062 Puyo Pop Fever | Dreamcast 063 ISS Pro: Evolution | PlayStation 064 NBA Jam | SNES 065 Gran Turismo | PlayStation 066 Metal Slug | Neo Geo 067 Contra III | SNES 068 Viewpoint | Neo Geo 069 Megaman X | SNES 070 California Games | Atari Lynx 071 Sega Rally | Saturn 072 Unirally | SNES 073 Blazing Star | Neo Geo 074 WWF: No Mercy | Nintendo 64 075 Thunderforce IV | Megadrive 076 Art of Fighting 3 | Neo Geo 077 Sonic 2 | Megadrive 078 Earthbound | SNES 079 Wario Ware | GBA 080 Kirby's Tee Shot | SNES 081 Cybernator | SNES 082 Final Fantasy VIII | PlayStation 083 Legend of the Mystical Ninja | SNES 084 Super Mario Sunshine | Gamecube 085 Pilotwings | SNES 086 Shenmue 2 | Dreamcast 087 Parodius | SNES 088 Resident Evil 2 | PlayStation 089 Astro Boy | GBA 090 Sensible Soccer | Amiga 091 Powerstone 2 | Dreamcast 092 Tempest | Coin-op 093 Starfox | SNES 094 Xarlor Mercenary | Atari Lynx 095 Colin McCrae Rally | PlayStation 096 Final Fight | Coin-op 097 Marvel vs. Capcom | Coin-op 098 Castlevania IV | SNES 099 Twinkle Star Sprites | Neo Geo 100 Stunt Race FX | SNES i suppose

Posted Image

#18 Damo Suzuki

Damo Suzuki

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3715 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 03:05 PM

well Street Fighter Alpha 1 was more of a demo than a real street fighter. It's completely and utterly rendered worthless by it's successor.

I believe the Vs. Series, Street Fighter II, Street Fighter III, the alpha series should all be judged as seperate games. Yes, I know there are HUGE differences between say, Third Strike and New Challengers, or X-men vs. Street Fighter vs. Marvel vs Capcom 2, but vote-splitting will cause none of these games to make the list at all.

Lumping EVERY street fighter series into it's own franchise would be ridiculous, though I agree. I almost DID vote for Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 on my list despite already have a street fighter game on it. I can't think fo two fighters that are so vastly different from each other despite both having Ryu dragon punching in them.

Obviously, when voting, you can vote for your favorite incarnation, such as your preference for SFA2, but I believe if the alpha games do end up ranking, the votes should be combined.

Wrestling games such as No Mercy or Here Comes The Pain! are typically agreed to be the best incarnations in THQ's WWE line, I'm pretty much clueless on most sports games...

But surely only the best in gameplay and design should be consider from a given series. Least we rank all the Ultima, Gold Box or Shining Force games equally.

As far as the Vs. games are concerned, there were vast gameplay changes in each iteration. That would be a case of the underlying mechanic being the same but the execution and gameplay being rather different.
"One can't love man without hating most of the creatures who pretend to bear his name."

#19 Undercooked Sausage

Undercooked Sausage

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13801 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 03:05 PM

if Super Mario All-Stars was allowed it would be #infinity obviously

believe it or not, i am not a big all-stars guy, i prefer the raw, NES versions mainly because you can piranha plant hop in SMB1 and they fixed it in the all-stars version.

Also, the graphics and music remixes are so poor for a SNES game in 1993. Very upsetting.
Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#20 Undercooked Sausage

Undercooked Sausage

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13801 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 03:07 PM

But surely only the best in gameplay and design should be consider from a given series. Least we rank all the Ultima, Gold Box or Shining Force games equally.

As far as the Vs. games are concerned, there were vast gameplay changes in each iteration. That would be a case of the underlying mechanic being the same but the execution and gameplay being rather different.

Well, let's say three people voted for Street Fighter Alpha 3, and two people voted for Street Fighter Alpha 2, neither of these games get the points to make the top 100 and the entire Alpha series goes unaccounted for. This is the dilemma I'm trying to avoid, if it even has a chance of coming up.
Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image