136 replies to this topic

#21 yancy

yancy

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20240 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 10:50 AM

The halcyon days were in '06 when we had those huge assignments of ranking singles and albums in split decades.

Classic rock lists? Snooze. The real halcyon days were in '04 when rockism debates were in full swing, Y$I-like services hadn't turned the music side into a fishing hole, and users with thousands of posts almost exclusively on the et cetera side (like this thread's creator) didn't yet exist.

#22 MadroXXX

MadroXXX

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1909 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 10:55 AM

No, that was for Undo. I have no problems with YouTubes in thread as long as it isn't hundreds on a page. I do have a problem with people posting the same clips multiple times for no reason.

And without indicating who or what it is specifically, and why I should bother clicking on it. (Hi Deej!)

yeah & your boring industry threads r great!

#23 Waylon

Waylon

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4390 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 10:59 AM

a fishing hole

Good one.

Still waiting for Slackmo to delete this thread.

#24 Rajexico

Rajexico

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1640 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 11:01 AM

As they mature, do message boards naturally dilute or move away from their original/core reason for existing and become more and more about the society, the interactions between members, the self-references, and the history? It seems like it has happened in fits and spurts here. I haven't been on enough message boards to say in general, but Hipinion seems to fit as well.

In the future there is only drink and birds.

lastfm

#25 undo

undo

future thug

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8949 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 11:02 AM

Also, I've tried starting some good threads on less-discussed topics, threads that could bring out the connoisseurs/devotees but would also be nonthreatening and educational for everyone else, but this fails horribly.

http://soundopinions...s...c=16482&hl=

Should have gone for at least 3-4 pages but I guess we'd rather talk about albums becoming irrelevant or what "indie" means.

#26 brainstorm

brainstorm

Hipster

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2241 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 11:05 AM

I'd talk about music in the music forum if it weren't for the fact I don't give a shit about convincing anyone about anything.

If it comes up, I''ll comment. Otherwise, trivial bullshit is good enough for the workday.

About the wisest thing said in thread - I don't know that the music forum sucks, but I do know there's this tendency to believe that taste can be quantified and measured and objectively proven right, and when that inevitably fails, yes, there's a lot of piss taking and screaming. Since I do it, too, an awful lot, it's difficult to lay into anyone else's behavior.

Most of what's written about bores me, but honestly, I don't know that I'd be any more thrilled with a ten page thread on Hank Williams or Slobberbone...

It will improve, or it won't. It's ridiculous to think any one person has any control over that.
"So?" - Dick Cheney

#27 theremin

theremin

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6370 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 11:07 AM

what's with all the bitching about fish threads? I see like...2-4 fish posts a day compared to reading 100+ posts without them. I haven't noticed a request more than once or twice a month.

#28 Undercooked Sausage

Undercooked Sausage

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13801 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 11:10 AM

Too much quality music discussion is in those mega-threads i can't possibly be bothered to keep up with. I am greatly appreciative that there is a fairly sizable metal/electronic/noise/grindcore contingent on the somb but all of the discussion relating to these topics seem to take place primarily in quiet pockets of threads that are too daunting to start dropping into. (Metal thread, end of the dancefloor... fish threads) These threads begin turning into their own subculture, and are no longer as accessible. I've personally felt sort of ousted from the Jay Reatard thread as the last couple pages have been what the regulars are currently listening to and enjoying rather than the threads namesake. We need more band-specific threads that envoke discussion, I lament the fact that the only threads started on bands are primarily about watered down worthless indie rock or bands we've all heard of already. Except of course the Weezer thread. Topic creators first post is one of the dumbest/whiniest things i've ever seen posted on a forum.
Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#29 Rajexico

Rajexico

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1640 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 11:21 AM

Should have gone for at least 3-4 pages but I guess we'd rather talk about albums becoming irrelevant or what "indie" means.

Heh, I actually sort of feel the opposite. You may have a point with the "define indie" thread because that topic has been tilled over a half dozen times in the past few years, but I really liked the album relevance question. People's assumptions and judgements were interesting. There's a place for "megaupload your favorite songs from Genre X" threads, but they get pretty boring.

lastfm

#30 undo

undo

future thug

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8949 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 11:27 AM

We need more band-specific threads that envoke discussion

There are 3 or 4 of these I want to start but I see them all just dying on the spot and I'm just one or two steps from plotting my exit strategy from this board anyway.

I really liked the album relevance question. People's assumptions and judgements were interesting.

I read the first two pages and saw who was jumping in and didn't bother with the rest of the thread. Didn't think anything good could come of it from there but perhaps I'll read the rest at a later date.

#31 Guest_NumberTenOx_*

Guest_NumberTenOx_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2008 - 11:31 AM

Sausage's point is a good one-- I'd be more inclined to read the music side of the board if it wasn't such a freeforall. Could the music part of the board be subdivided? How about: Pop Metal Rap R&B Soul Dance Electronica Rock Jazz Classical General Music Discussion Recommendations New Releases Reviews I know this is overkill, just a thought.

#32 yancy

yancy

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20240 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 11:34 AM

That would be a nightmare to do properly even if people made an honest effort, which they wouldn't. Is it really that hard to scroll down the first page or two of topics in our current music forum?

#33 Pavement Ist Rad

Pavement Ist Rad

What would the Melvins say?

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13222 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 11:35 AM

Guys, it's up to all of you to not let my Life Without Buildings thread die. I don't really have any specific complaints except that I would love to see more BHickman "statement" threads. YouTubes, Montana, addiction to y'all send the thing's, and everybody's awful tastes all contribute to the dullness of the music forum. But I'm fine with it, honestly. Anything that makes me spend less time here is definitely a positive for my overall health as a human being.
Posted Image

Damo Suzuki: So, um, yeah. Getting older isn't as bad as it sounds. Better than being young & poor (DjDrake) or young & slutty (SG) or young, poor and slutty (Paves); am I right?

Alright, my friends. It's time for another solid little rock jam

#34 Meldrick Lewis

Meldrick Lewis

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1407 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 11:38 AM

That would be a nightmare to do properly even if people made an honest effort, which they wouldn't. Is it really that hard to scroll down the first page or two of topics in our current music forum?

I use the "view new posts" function every time I'm on here. Saves a hell of a lot of effort.

#35 Rajexico

Rajexico

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1640 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 11:38 AM

I read the first two pages and saw who was jumping in and didn't bother with the rest of the thread. Didn't think anything good could come of it from there but perhaps I'll read the rest at a later date.

There's a lot of me in it, so you've been warned.

Anything that makes me spend less time here is definitely a positive for my overall health as a human being.

Tragically (?), this is so true.

lastfm

#36 yancy

yancy

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20240 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 11:40 AM

Hey undo & raj & paves & sausage, let's all quit the board today. Forever. No planning, just do it. In 3, 2, 1... rofl n/m

#37 Mitchell

Mitchell

dirty old man

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20691 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 11:42 AM

Also, I've tried starting some good threads on less-discussed topics, threads that could bring out the connoisseurs/devotees but would also be nonthreatening and educational for everyone else, but this fails horribly.

http://soundopinions...s...c=16482&hl=

I would have posted only to say what GDB expected BGWaves to say about New Forms and then have Deej question me.
Nice bowl of Crunchy Nut you got here, pretty expensive as I recall.

#38 Agrimorfee

Agrimorfee

Too nice for his own good

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13311 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 11:52 AM

There are 3 or 4 of these I want to start but I see them all just dying on the spot and I'm just one or two steps from plotting my exit strategy from this board anyway.

Post them already, if they die--they die. Lord knows I've had my fair share of threads that sank faster than an iceberg-dented Titanic.

Oh, and...You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave.

"Is everyone on here just an act sometimes?"--Hummingbird

Read all of my stupid song parodies here. Latest song improved/ruined: "No More Mr. Nice Guy" by Alice Cooper.

Download all of my alleged music free through the remainder of May at www.soundclick.com/agrimorfee

Also jabbering about music and movies at www.rateyourmusic.com

#39 brainstorm

brainstorm

Hipster

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2241 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 11:58 AM

Oh, and...You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave.

THAT EXPLAINS IT!
"So?" - Dick Cheney

#40 Mitchell

Mitchell

dirty old man

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20691 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 12:14 PM

Front page of Music Forum at this moment

Why The Music Forum Is Dull 36 NumberTenOx 361 Today, 05:42 PM Obviously I'm reading and posting in this one.
Blood Visions Jay Reatard 2,416 cachapeechak 79,954 Today, 05:38 PM Not one I read too often unless there seems to be lots of posts in a short period of time.
Number of concerts attended lifetime take a guess 58 helmet52 762 Today, 05:38 PM An interesting read and am thinking about trying to work this out for me.
LP7 = IN RAINBOWS RADIOHEAD'S GONE INDIE!!!!!! 2,252 AlkalineDrown 64,858 Today, 05:35 PM I bumped the tour thread with tour info and the G. Hits thread similarly. Montana and Jigga's trolling within are nothing that needs to be read.
My Morning Jacket New Album - June 10th 561 Hans Christian Anderson 19,609 Today, 05:17 PM Deleted this album after two plays. Can listen to F Foxes instead.
big oasis news 14 Beetlebum 186 Today, 04:57 PM I like Oasis more than most on here but this isn't big news. Plus I'd read it in the magazine the clipping came from.
Shakey II - Neil Young's Discography Not by Jimmy McDonough 128 Campaigner 3,694 Today, 04:50 PM Not a thread for everyone but a very good one. Glad we haven't seen an overkill on these.
Phoenix - Twenty-One One Zero 5 Jamie Madrox 127 Today, 04:38 PM Maybe will click on this if it gets a hot topic
Perfection 7 Hans Christian Anderson 150 Today, 04:33 PM This is a bad YouTube thread.
Duck Stab Reissued Bach is Dead 7 _jon 58 Today, 04:06 PM No idea what this
Warner Music out of Last.fm 2 agrimorfee 46 Today, 03:40 PM Not really worth starting a thread for, am sure there are similar threads this could have been posted in. But that is my search nazi crutch about it
Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends 166 agrimorfee 6,360 Today, 03:13 PM Interested to read people on here's thoughts but 2008 Coldplay isn't the most dynamic of topics. Wouldn't want the thread not to be on the first page on week of release though
High School Musical an iTunes Music Store phonomenon 60 Slackmo 1,763 Today, 03:09 PM Don't care
I need summer music mix material, please. 37 Alright Still 451 Today, 03:03 PM More useful than an interesting thread
My Bloody Valentine to Reunite? for Coachella 2008 219 Freddie Freelance 6,837 Today, 02:14 PM Only really interesting to UK SOMBs at the moment. Thread will double when they come over of course
KING KHAN & THE SHRINES - WHAT IS?! Thread title is all caps for a reason. 245 Pavement Ist Rad 11,487 Today, 01:41 PM Not really my thing
Place for my random uploads. because I don't wanna make a seperate post for every release 200 NewGrass 14,980 Today, 11:03 AM Can't compete with this, great thread but I have no time to listen to all this stuff. If I find one very good album I would have never listened too then success. Haven;t yet but remain hopeful.
Slapping Indie Rawk in the Trunk Where is the line? 18 Chrono the Conqueror 259 Today, 09:29 AM Not going to be a megathread of discussion, a pleasant distraction.
Bob Seger versus your favorite indie bands 23 Montana 455 Today, 09:22 AM Terrible thread
another white person doing black music exposed as a covert racist. another cracka exposed 19 Jigga 434 Today, 09:14 AM Terrible thread
Fleetwood Mac - Tusk 91 Senor Cardgage 4,624 Today, 09:10 AM Listened to this album once and I didn't like it years ago.
N*E*R*D* - Seeing Sounds Let us speak about it 14 Senor Cardgage 382 Today, 08:51 AM No interest in this in 2008
The YouTube thread 410 Burz 22,205 Today, 07:25 AM Thread was amazingly good when YouTube started a couple years back. Not really needed now.
Nas - Hero HOLY SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!& 20 Jamie Madrox 515 Today, 04:36 AM Meh, Obama song is interesting though
new Sun Kil Moon details in November 234 Sister Hell 9,764 Today, 04:26 AM Like this record, not fussed about reading all this
WHAT ARE YOUR FAVORITE SONGS WITH JUXTAPOSED MALE/FEMALE VOCALS??? 64 Pavement Ist Rad 1,611 Today, 04:11 AM This was a good thread, haven't seen why it's bumped yet.
Best Buy's new radio commercials "Go ahead... be an INDIEvidual!" 3 American Masters 183 Today, 03:02 AM Don't care about commercials in my own country
Frightened Rabbit - The Midnight Organ Fight Frightened Rabbit Thread 2.0 239 simakos 8,139 Today, 02:56 AM Good thread, good to see it bumped for the local (to you) shows. Not much going on in it recently though
New Sigur Ros song sounds like Animal Collective 59 Dark Heat 1,587 Today, 02:18 AM I'm waiting to hear this when it comes out, have no intention of reading an argument about the sub title being correct or not. 5 posts from Montana suggests I stay out
My Intro Into Classical Music 0 Ent 26 Today, 01:49 AM meh
Pastor Calls For Video Game, Music Burning 0 Ent 39 Today, 01:30 AM Sorry Ent, nothing for me here either
Phantom Planet -- "Raise the Dead" I don't foresee anyone other than myself, Andyroo and Yancy in here 42 Hewletts Daughter 928 Today, 01:17 AM Never clicked in this, not interested
so... did REM every get their mojo back? Because who wants to read 30 pages? 218 Ennui 4,580 Today, 01:02 AM Irony
Radiohead U.S. tour '08 ...cities, but no dates yet 212 BobtheSquid 6,849 Today, 12:41 AM See above
Rock out with your Congressman out 0 Freddie Freelance 44 Yesterday, 11:45 PM No idea what this is, don't care to find out
Animated Diverse Video the Chicago MC finally drops something new 3 NB1 42 Yesterday, 11:32 PM Chicago centric? Never clicked on it

The frustrating thing is making an effort with a thread / post and then getting a complete lack of response from everyone and trying to get people to listen to something they've never heard of without Pitchfork giving it a 8.0+
Nice bowl of Crunchy Nut you got here, pretty expensive as I recall.