817 replies to this topic

#41 RadioHitchcock

RadioHitchcock

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1541 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 04:04 PM

I mean, sure it sucks that Hollywood is remaking so many classic movies and sequels, but it's better than what they come up with when they try to be creative.

Hasbro Inc. (HAS) and Universal Pictures formed a six-year strategic partnership to produce at least four motion pictures based on brands such as Monopoly, Candy Land, Ouija, Battleship, Magic, the Gathering and Stretch Armstrong.

Clue was pretty good.
Sorry, I was being pretentious. Please don't mess with my stars.

#42 Magnus Malcolm

Magnus Malcolm

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 06:10 PM

I mean, sure it sucks that Hollywood is remaking so many classic movies and sequels, but it's better than what they come up with when they try to be creative.

Hasbro Inc. (HAS) and Universal Pictures formed a six-year strategic partnership to produce at least four motion pictures based on brands such as Monopoly, Candy Land, Ouija, Battleship, Magic, the Gathering and Stretch Armstrong.

Clue was pretty good.

I completely agree. That said, I love Tim Curry, so I'm biased.
"Attention camp compound. Urine specimens will be required from all pers... Uh... pe... Uh, disregard last transmission." -Announcer, M.A.S.H.

#43 Pavement Ist Rad

Pavement Ist Rad

What would the Melvins say?

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13222 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 06:14 PM

i heard two very disturbing pieces of news regarding classic films and didn't know where to turn. bad lieutenant and footloose are being remade.

It's going to get worse in the near future...

Dragonball
Ghost Rider 2
Transformers 2
Robocop remake
Conan remake
The Green Hornet
Grand Theft Auto: The Movie
Masters of the Universe
Voltron
Thundercats
Thor
Punisher 2
Daredevil 2
Namor
Silver Surfer
Wonder Woman
The Flash
a Street Fighter movie
Short Circuit (!!)
another Superman movie
Avengers
Justice League
Constantine 2
Race to Witch Mountain remake (!!)
Dune remake
The Smurfs
The Green Hornet
Pink Panther 2
Fast and the Furious 4
Terminator 4
Castlevania
Hellraiser remake
Warcraft
The Sims (?)
Beverly Hills Cop 4

Uh...

Anyways, what the hell happened to the Evil Dead remake starring Ashton Kutcher?
Posted Image

Damo Suzuki: So, um, yeah. Getting older isn't as bad as it sounds. Better than being young & poor (DjDrake) or young & slutty (SG) or young, poor and slutty (Paves); am I right?

Alright, my friends. It's time for another solid little rock jam

#44 Asher Ford

Asher Ford

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1172 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 09:57 PM

Great topic. I'm currently undertaking one of those absurdly geeky projects where I "try to watch every movie ever made! Chronologically!". Right now I'm somewhere between 1909 and 1913. Glad to be done with most of those tiny Edison films, would've liked to see more Melies and Alice Guy but they aren't very readily available. Anyway, I'm currently on a DVD set of D.W. Griffith shorts, and will soon be moving onto Judith of Bethulia, Cabiria and hopefully in about two weeks, Birth of a Nation. So with all the film geeks on this board, any of you got opinions/recommendations from this oldest of movie eras?

#45 no magnets

no magnets

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 10:11 PM

they're a little before your time, but i've always had a soft spot for a trip to the moon and the great train robbery. they're very quick and yet i see such marvels in them for the era.

#46 Magnus Malcolm

Magnus Malcolm

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 10:21 PM

I'm currently undertaking one of those absurdly geeky projects where I "try to watch every movie ever made! Chronologically!".

I started one of these crusades a while ago, I just hit the 50's. Of course, I'm falling a bit beneath every film out there, but I'm hitting some good ones. My strategy, is to choose 40 or so "essentials" (according to whatever source I'm inclined to use at the time) and then hit the ground running again when through those. I've been using Criterion releases as a majority of my "references" this last run, and probably will again for the next one.

they're a little before your time, but i've always had a soft spot for a trip to the moon and the great train robbery. they're very quick and yet i see such marvels in them for the era.

You're talking about Edwin S. Porter's film/version, right?
"Attention camp compound. Urine specimens will be required from all pers... Uh... pe... Uh, disregard last transmission." -Announcer, M.A.S.H.

#47 no magnets

no magnets

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 10:57 PM

You're talking about Edwin S. Porter's film/version, right?

yes. and i believe moon is a melies film.

#48 without_opinion

without_opinion

Minister of Health

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5575 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 11:35 PM

Clue was pretty good.

I completely agree. That said, I love Tim Curry, so I'm biased.

for realz. the last 20 of this (**starring tim curry!!!**) are top notch tremendous.
alan...batteries not included is a good flick

my contribution:
Posted Image
about 75% of this movie hits where it's supposed to, unfortunately the remaining quarter tends to derail it. contains some of the best comedy scenes and running gags (see: the cameramen) to hit the screen. check your preconceived notions of steve martin & eddie murphy at the door, just enjoy this one.
Music Is My Girlfriend (click for playlists) -- my brother's weekly radio show (new time!), Mondays, 2pm CST, out of Crested Butte, CO. Hear it at KBUT fm online

#49 theremin

theremin

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6371 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 11:58 PM

I have these box sets:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

A couple of them are for sale at the link in my sig.

#50 Slackmo

Slackmo

devil's avocado

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13999 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 12:26 AM

Help me out again on the nuance that separates this from the main movie thread.
Someone Still Loves You Pants McJickson

#51 theremin

theremin

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6371 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 01:26 AM

#52 bleach

bleach

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3302 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 01:39 AM

Anyways, what the hell happened to the Evil Dead remake starring Ashton Kutcher?

perhaps my brain had previously held this knowledge and has since forgotten but WHAT?! hopefully that shit was squashed when bruce campbell and sam raimi put a contract out on kutch(n?)er's life.

i can't really justify this line of thought but i really hate when i have to sift through 2 pages of bs about one movie in the now playing thread. it's all about expectations really. i go into the np thread expecting to see what has been watched and the thoughts of original poster are not so important but certainly welcome. in the np thread i just want to know what is out there..maybe i've seen it, maybe i've never heard of it and i'll do the research afterwards to see if this is a movie i want to see. is it caley i'm thinking of that always drops an 8 or 9 line paragraph after each movie he has seen? i like that but i don't necessarily need to read any more thoughts from other posters on the matter. (which isn't to say i'm not guilty of throwing out a few lines about a film that has moved me..for better or worse.)

with that said, i have a serious issue with Footloose. i love this fucking movie but have a huge problem with the Grateful Dead and Pink Floyd stickers on the pick-up truck of lori singer's boyfriend. i've never met such an asshole who was a real fan of either of these bands. he has a gun rack for fuck's sake. i can't honestly tell if this was a case of the director going too far as a fan of these bands, and thus, betraying a character in the process or he genuinely hates both bands and it was meant as a dig.
also, how fucking talented is the Singer family?!
We go 0 to Dennehy in three seconds or less.

#53 Agrimorfee

Agrimorfee

Too nice for his own good

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13311 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 08:06 AM

Great topic. I'm currently undertaking one of those absurdly geeky projects where I "try to watch every movie ever made! Chronologically!". Right now I'm somewhere between 1909 and 1913. Glad to be done with most of those tiny Edison films, would've liked to see more Melies and Alice Guy but they aren't very readily available. Anyway, I'm currently on a DVD set of D.W. Griffith shorts, and will soon be moving onto Judith of Bethulia, Cabiria and hopefully in about two weeks, Birth of a Nation.

So with all the film geeks on this board, any of you got opinions/recommendations from this oldest of movie eras?

Intolerance is a mess, but a fine mess. They don't make 'em like this anymore. Metropolis and Battleship Potemkin of course, are canon. Try also Pabst's Pandora's Box.

"Is everyone on here just an act sometimes?"--Hummingbird

Read all of my stupid song parodies here. Latest song improved/ruined: "No More Mr. Nice Guy" by Alice Cooper.

Download all of my alleged music free through the remainder of May at www.soundclick.com/agrimorfee

Also jabbering about music and movies at www.rateyourmusic.com

#54 Agrimorfee

Agrimorfee

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13311 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 08:10 AM

my contribution:
Posted Image
about 75% of this movie hits where it's supposed to, unfortunately the remaining quarter tends to derail it. contains some of the best comedy scenes and running gags (see: the cameramen) to hit the screen. check your preconceived notions of steve martin & eddie murphy at the door, just enjoy this one.

Oh yeah, totally underrated. Probably the best Eddie Murphy-multiple-role flick after Coming To America (and it didn't even require layers of latex...)

Read all of my stupid song parodies here. Latest song improved/ruined: "No More Mr. Nice Guy" by Alice Cooper.

Download all of my alleged music free through the remainder of May at www.soundclick.com/agrimorfee

#55 Agrimorfee

Agrimorfee

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13311 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 08:12 AM

I understand that this is for movies that we feel like trumpeting about, not just films that we recently saw. Doesn't Malcolm's opening post make that clear?

#56 Agrimorfee

Agrimorfee

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13311 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 08:14 AM

also, how fucking talented is the Singer family?!

I've always admired how Lori could play cello AND act. :)

#57 Magnus Malcolm

Magnus Malcolm

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 09:36 AM

The idea that is at least supposed to separate this one, is it's supposed to be more discussion orientated to an extent, and more importantly, about whatever film, not just what we/whomever just watched.

Even that's not the only point though, my idea with this one was a place where people could (also) post a movie title they'd never seen, but were interested in, and get some opinions on whether it was good or not. Also, Now Playing, despite my love for it, moves at fast past, on this is what I saw, this is what I saw. My idea here was to allow for more debate, post your thoughts on any film that feel passionately about, and a debate can continue for as long as someone is interested in continuing it. Meanwhile, amongst this theoretical debate, others can still ask questions about their unseen films. So, in concept, vs. a just seen/often more what is playing in theatres thread, this one is intended to be all purpose, all the time. I didn't make it for competition with the other, I intend to post in both depending. Another idea, is as it's more broadly orientated, people can post questions about this or that, which also leads to further discussion on film. Like the question that was asked about Big Chill, or whatever.

theremin, this was for you to. I hope you two end up accepting this thread, I've been wondering where your thoughts have been.

#58 Magnus Malcolm

Magnus Malcolm

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 09:50 AM

I'll go with one of the thread purposes I just mentioned.

Posted Image

This is one of those films that I've just never seen. I like Renoir quite a bit, perhaps most of all his work The Rules of the Game.

Any non-spoiler thoughts on this one? How do you think it stacks up against Renoir's other work?

#59 Agrimorfee

Agrimorfee

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13311 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 09:53 AM

Any non-spoiler thoughts on this one? How do you think it stacks up against Renoir's other work?

Haven't seen any Renoir, and I'm not so sure that I can sit still for it.

#60 Magnus Malcolm

Magnus Malcolm

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 09:56 AM

Haven't seen any Renoir, and I'm not so sure that I can sit still for it.

Have you ever started one? I can imagine why you have that impression, but some of his films are entertaining. Grand Illusion is actually pretty thrilling and interesting, at least until it should end and doesn't. And the after mentioned Rules of the Game is really brilliant, I think you actually might like it, it can be funny at times, and I never find myself squirming watching it.