817 replies to this topic

#61 theremin

theremin

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6371 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 10:46 AM

Hey, I'm posting in it, I'm just confused.

#62 Slackmo

Slackmo

devil's avocado

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13999 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 11:25 AM

This is the thread where you talk about movies you really really liked. The other one's where you just post pictures of things you watched but didn't like.
Someone Still Loves You Pants McJickson

#63 theremin

theremin

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6371 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 11:47 AM

This is the thread where you talk about movies you really really liked. The other one's where you just post pictures of things you watched but didn't like.

People have complained before about not enough discussion in that thread. I guess this is easier than complaining.

#64 Magnus Malcolm

Magnus Malcolm

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 01:00 PM

This is intended to be the thread where you post whatever you want that pertains to film, for the most part. Did you all read my reply? Unlike the other, where you post what you've seen recently, and which I still use, this is one is intended to be composed of comments/questions on any film, whether you've seen it recently, or years ago, and whether you've seen it, or not.
"Attention camp compound. Urine specimens will be required from all pers... Uh... pe... Uh, disregard last transmission." -Announcer, M.A.S.H.

#65 Agrimorfee

Agrimorfee

Too nice for his own good

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13311 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 01:27 PM

Christ, let's get back to movie discussions.

"Is everyone on here just an act sometimes?"--Hummingbird

Read all of my stupid song parodies here. Latest song improved/ruined: "No More Mr. Nice Guy" by Alice Cooper.

Download all of my alleged music free through the remainder of May at www.soundclick.com/agrimorfee

Also jabbering about music and movies at www.rateyourmusic.com

#66 Magnus Malcolm

Magnus Malcolm

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 01:32 PM

Christ, let's get back to movie discussions.

Sounds good to me.

Posted Image

IMO, GREAT Australian Western. One of the best out there, ever, stands neatly alongside the best of Peckinpah and Leone. First viewing, it shattered the hell out of me. One of the best conclusions I've ever seen on screen. Bloody, violent, and brilliant. With some real powerhouse performances, not to mention some important underlying themes.

Nick Cave wrote it.
"Attention camp compound. Urine specimens will be required from all pers... Uh... pe... Uh, disregard last transmission." -Announcer, M.A.S.H.

#67 cerebralcaustic

cerebralcaustic

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3279 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 02:24 PM

Surprised this hasn't come up yet, given the thread title:
Posted Image
This is the first movie I remember seeing in a movie theater, and I've loved it ever since. The acting is terrible and the story is hokey, but the visuals, set design, special effects, music, etc are all top notch.

Posted Image
And who wouldn't want a luck dragon as a pet? Look at that guy!

#68 Magnus Malcolm

Magnus Malcolm

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 02:38 PM

Posted Image
This is the first movie I remember seeing in a movie theater, and I've loved it ever since. The acting is terrible and the story is hokey, but the visuals, set design, special effects, music, etc are all top notch.

Posted Image

Gotta love the Never-Ending Story, despite its many flaws (that you mentioned). This film did come to mind when I started the thread, as a matta' fact. And of course I'd want a luck dragon, but I think my most desired fictional movie item would to fall somewhere in the Star Wars area. Whether it'd be a lightsaber of the Millennium Falcon, I'm undecided.

Posted Image

I'd be much obliged if someone could give some thoughts on this film. Despite my feelings against doing so, I just blind bought this film because it was 8 bucks.

#69 Agrimorfee

Agrimorfee

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13311 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 02:39 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Think I've mentioned before that the twist near the end was probably the first post-modern "WOW" experience of my lifetime, even before I learned what post-modern meant. This is definitely worth a buy for my kid for later (there's a double pack with the inferior sequel for cheap). A third sequel has a skinny Jack Black in an early role as a school hoodlum that is not to be missed.

Read all of my stupid song parodies here. Latest song improved/ruined: "No More Mr. Nice Guy" by Alice Cooper.

Download all of my alleged music free through the remainder of May at www.soundclick.com/agrimorfee

#70 Magnus Malcolm

Magnus Malcolm

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 02:41 PM

A third sequel has a skinny Jack Black in an early role as a school hoodlum that is not to be missed.

Huh, this I did not know. Any chance you've sen Big Red One, agrimorfee?

#71 Finn McCool

Finn McCool

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8081 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 02:48 PM

The Proposition flat out scared me at times. Except it starred that sissy looking guy from Memento - the Pitt-a-like...but you're totally right - amazing movie. My old man is a Western fanatic & he grudgingly rented & watched it and then raved about it for days.

Three O'Clock High If only because it introduced, "You're the pussy that always bled" and, "Don't fuck this up, Mitchell!" to my repetoire. Not enough people have seen this grand slam of a fun time. And that's a shame.

Posted Image
Until the sky turns green, the grass is several shades of blue, every member of Parliament trips on glue...

#72 Agrimorfee

Agrimorfee

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13311 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 02:50 PM

A third sequel has a skinny Jack Black in an early role as a school hoodlum that is not to be missed.

Huh, this I did not know. Any chance you've sen Big Red One, agrimorfee?

No (odd question to lead from Never Ending Story... :huh: ). Maybe I will.

#73 Magnus Malcolm

Magnus Malcolm

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 03:02 PM

No (odd question to lead from Never Ending Story... :huh: ). Maybe I will.

Haha, indeed it must have seemed that. When I picked up Big Red One, I came back intending to ask that question, but then I saw the Never-Ending post, and responded to that, but still asked the Big Red question anyhow. I'll probably watch it tonight (depends on this and that) if you want my thoughts .

#74 Magnus Malcolm

Magnus Malcolm

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 03:07 PM

The Proposition flat out scared me at times. Except it starred that sissy looking guy from Memento - the Pitt-a-like...but you're totally right - amazing movie. My old man is a Western fanatic & he grudgingly rented & watched it and then raved about it for days.

Three O'Clock High If only because it introduced, "You're the pussy that always bled" and, "Don't fuck this up, Mitchell!" to my repetoire. Not enough people have seen this grand slam of a fun time. And that's a shame.

Posted Image

The Proposition scared me at times too. The whipping scene is just brutal..not to say that any of the violence in the film isn't. The scene in which Guy Pearce (your sissy) gets speared was so incredibly filmed, just bam, out of the blue. "Are we misanthropes?" "Lord no, we're a family." One of my favorite Westerns, no question.

And you're right about no enough people having seen Three O'Clock High, because I have to count myself among them.

#75 Tony

Tony

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4238 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 03:13 PM

Since Cyd Charrise just died, I want to mention the 'Dancing in the Dark' sequence from Vincent Minnelli's 1953 MGM film 'The Band Wagon'.

This could very well be the pinnacle of the movie musical in general. Look at the way her and Astaire gently flow into the dance and eventually mold their initially disparate styles into one as a metaphor for getting along and learning to work together. Sheer sublimity!

#76 Agrimorfee

Agrimorfee

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13311 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 03:35 PM

Since Cyd Charrise just died, I want to mention the 'Dancing in the Dark' sequence from Vincent Minnelli's 1953 MGM film 'The Band Wagon'.

This could very well be the pinnacle of the movie musical in general. Look at the way her and Astaire gently flow into the dance and eventually mold their initially disparate styles into one as a metaphor for getting along and learning to work together. Sheer sublimity!

Magnus has created the thread Tony has always wanted to post in, but never could. ;)

#77 Slackmo

Slackmo

devil's avocado

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13999 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 03:48 PM

Now Playing: The Movie Version II--Less Nowier And More Discussionier!

#78 Waylon

Waylon

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4390 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 03:59 PM

Magnus has created the thread Tony has always wanted to post in, but never could. ;)

I like to imagine Magnus as Tony's puppet attempt to fit in here.

No offense meant for either Magnus or Tony, who are just swell.

Still waiting for Slackmo to delete this thread.

#79 Agrimorfee

Agrimorfee

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13311 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 04:04 PM

I like to imagine Magnus as Tony's puppet attempt to fit in here.

Compelling evidence from Now Playing:

funny. ...That's the 1st time I've used one of those smilies...I'm trying to decide if I'm ashamed of it.

Magnus, Tony, you know I keed...love ya.

#80 Slackmo

Slackmo

devil's avocado

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13999 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 04:09 PM

Three O'Clock High was awesome.