Photo

so does your ideology prevent you from likeing certain types of music?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Jigga

Jigga

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2084 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 07:50 AM

even before you have heard it? how ignorant is that? i was just listening to some Jill Scott and i realised, certain progressive music critics out there would rather commit suicide than give this chick creidt because she is not in the box of their ideology? this shit is just like politics. sad.

#2 Complain

Complain

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3463 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 08:45 AM

Has nothing to do with my choices. I'm not gay, but I listen to Rufus Wainwright, Indigo Girls, Pet Shop Boys, Morrissey, et al. Not into drugs or alcohol, yet listen to all kinds of lyricists that are. It's about what resonates with the listener, be it lyrics, the sounds, BPM, or whatever.

All my life i wanted to be black.
Until i saw your picture, now i wanna be you.

http://www.myspace.com/hipbyproxy

#3 Campaigner

Campaigner

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1674 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 08:50 AM

I refuse to listen to Coldplay because my body does not like it when I vomit.

#4 championkid

championkid

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 08:55 AM

define "ideology"
"Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes, but when Sports came out in '83, I think they really came into their own, commercial and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost. He's been compared to Elvis Costello, but I think Huey has a far much more bitter, cynical sense of humour."

#5 no magnets

no magnets

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4764 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 09:05 AM

how is jill scott not in a progressive music critic's "box of ideology"? what does that even mean?

(besides, didn't we have a similar thread just a couple weeks ago?)

#6 Nick

Nick

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6013 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 09:07 AM

I don't listen to country music b/c I'm appalled by white trash.

#7 Meldrick Lewis

Meldrick Lewis

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1407 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 10:17 AM

My ideology excludes opera and ICP. Jill Scott = fine.

#8 emgee

emgee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 10:26 AM

Given that I love Burzum records, I guess my answer would have to be "no"

#9 garish

garish

Neophyte

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 10:56 AM

That totally makes sense. Jill Scott is the Prussian Blue of Black people.

#10 brainstorm

brainstorm

Hipster

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2241 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 11:02 AM

Boredom/philistinism prevents my listening to classical, most roots reggae, ambient. I don't seek out hip hop, but people keep hipping me to stuff, so it isn't politics or ideology. I used to think it was ideology that prevented my listening to certain artists, and then someone close to me observed that it was immaturity hiding behind ideology, so I stopped. Mostly.
"So?" - Dick Cheney

#11 Tony

Tony

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4238 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 11:06 AM

Boredom/philistinism prevents my listening to classical, most roots reggae, ambient.

most roots reggae, ambient sounds the same.

Classical certainly doesn't. Do you really think Gregorian chants sound like 20th century electronic music?

#12 Waylon

Waylon

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4390 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 11:06 AM

Only my hatred of hippies.

Still waiting for Slackmo to delete this thread.

#13 brainstorm

brainstorm

Hipster

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2241 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 11:40 AM

Boredom/philistinism prevents my listening to classical, most roots reggae, ambient.

Classical certainly doesn't. Do you really think Gregorian chants sound like 20th century electronic music?

Did I say they sound the same?

Boredom and philistinism, which is a big long word which means I have no class, little to no education and lack the shame to disguise the fact, prevent me enjoying classical. Whether it all sounds the same is irrelevant - I find it all boring b/c most of it is much more complex than the music I enjoy. I DO like Phillip Glass and 20th Century classical music, at least the minimalists - see if you can guess why.
"So?" - Dick Cheney

#14 Tony

Tony

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4238 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 11:40 AM

I find Blues pretty boring. And most Country which is really just white man's Blues.

#15 Tony

Tony

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4238 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 11:42 AM

Boredom and philistinism, which is a big long word which means I have no class, little to no education and lack the shame to disguise the fact, prevent me enjoying classical. Whether it all sounds the same is irrelevant - I find it all boring b/c most of it is much more complex than the music I enjoy. I DO like Phillip Glass and 20th Century classical music, at least the minimalists - see if you can guess why.

If you like Glass and '20th Century classical music' then you do like various kinds of CM. Ragtime is classical too btw.

#16 brainstorm

brainstorm

Hipster

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2241 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 11:52 AM

If you like Glass and '20th Century classical music' then you do like various kinds of CM. Ragtime is classical too btw.

Learn to read, moron.
"So?" - Dick Cheney

#17 Nick

Nick

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6013 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 11:55 AM

brainstorm - Does the prescription cocktail you take everyday to straighten out your chemical imbalance prevent you from liking certain types of music?

#18 Tony

Tony

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4238 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 11:59 AM

Learn to read, moron.

Enlighten me.

#19 brainstorm

brainstorm

Hipster

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2241 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 12:37 PM

I tell ya what - you take exception to the other posters who've mentioned not liking classical and then we'll talk.

I never said all classical sounded the same. You accused me of saying it because, apparently, you don't read well. Or read what you wish to see rather than what is printed.

I like minimalist composers BECAUSE THEY'RE MINIMAL. Most classical music is much more complex and involved than the music I prefer, so it bores me and I don't bother.

I'm glad you're delighted with your own cleverness at getting me to take the bait - THAT takes a lot of skill, huh?

I like 20th Century classical music composers - at least those whose work is minimalist and simple - because most of the music I like is minimal and simplistic. I think most popular music fans and casual music fans would never place Phil Glass and Steve Reich in the same category as Mozart and Brahms and Handel and Haydn and Vivaldi.

They may well be technically wrong, but I'ma guess you're clever enough, despite your literacy issues, to make a mental distinction between people who "hate Classical" and people who have the Powaqqatsi soundtrack.
"So?" - Dick Cheney

#20 arkin

arkin

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2663 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 01:11 PM

my not being religious keeps me from listening to Amy Grant and Stephen Curtis Chapman.