217 replies to this topic

#201 Tony

Tony

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4238 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 02:05 PM

I'd like to go to Lombard to just hear Sladen and Colin Baker speak. I assume they do. Apparently, Sladen will no longer do DVD commentaries because she couldn't come to an financial agreement with '2 Entertain'. That sucks. How hard can that be?

I finally finished watching S4. 'Midnight' seemed like a warmed over Rod Serling 'Twlight Zone' script ('The Monsters Are Due on Maple Street' in particular) and the finale probably had too many characters to maintain coherence. Still fun though and it certainly looks like they were writing all of these characters out for good.
Spoiler/NSFW: click to show/hide
It's gratifying that the resolution of the Donna Noble storyline uses a plot device from 'Superman 2' which I defend here in the face of scurrilous jibes.

#202 Tony

Tony

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4238 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 02:57 PM

Happy 45th birthday DW!

#203 Tony

Tony

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4238 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 11:22 AM

Hey all you Chicago nerds. Look!

I went in 2005 and 2006, skipped last year because the admission was insane (like $60 a day per person of some shit) and I couldn't justify it for the guests (Eric Roberts ... WHOOPEE), but might go this time. Admission is reasonable (a little closer to the `05 and `06 rates), and the main guests are impressive. I'm surprised the BBC/RTD is letting Sladen do conventions. Must not interfere with the shooting schedule of her show (which I believe was picked up for a second series). Thanks for the link ... I've been wondering what their plans were for a while now.

Are you going?

And, oh, yes. One day only, though. There's a couple of weird panels the day I'm going, including one on "slash" fanfic and "alt.sexuality.doctor.who."

May sit in just for the lulz.

How was it? I stopped by on Sunday and sat in on a couple of the writers, Colin Baker and Sladen. Was this supposed to be paid for? I just walked in and sat down. No one asked me for money at the door.

#204 Diesel

Diesel

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1410 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 04:59 PM

I went in 2005 and 2006, skipped last year because the admission was insane (like $60 a day per person of some shit) and I couldn't justify it for the guests (Eric Roberts ... WHOOPEE), but might go this time. Admission is reasonable (a little closer to the `05 and `06 rates), and the main guests are impressive. I'm surprised the BBC/RTD is letting Sladen do conventions. Must not interfere with the shooting schedule of her show (which I believe was picked up for a second series). Thanks for the link ... I've been wondering what their plans were for a while now.

Are you going?

And, oh, yes. One day only, though. There's a couple of weird panels the day I'm going, including one on "slash" fanfic and "alt.sexuality.doctor.who."

How was it? I stopped by on Sunday and sat in on a couple of the writers, Colin Baker and Sladen. Was this supposed to be paid for? I just walked in and sat down. No one asked me for money at the door.

You wouldn't be the first one to crash; I have a friend who does so all the time.

There is a registration fee, though. We pre-paid before Nov. 15 and got a $10 knock-off. The fee gets you a badge and a ticket for autograph signings (which we didn't get). The only place they ever diligently check for a badge is the dealer's room; otherwise you can skate by. I choose to pay on general principle, I guess. That and I suck at being sneaky.

We were there all day Saturday, pretty much. Saw the masquerade show, but left after the first 20 minutes of "Mysterious Theatre 337," a live "MST3K"-patterned "ribbing" of a DW episode. This year it was "Terror of the Vervoids," aka "Trial of a Time Lord" Episodes 9-12. The guys doing it sucked, so we walked.

We caught the writers, Baker, and Sladen too. Someone during her Q&A took her to task for "diva-esque behavior" for charging for an autograph/photography, but it was the convention charging, not her. It was just weird hearing someone say something critical during one of these things; everyone else was as geeky/complimentary as you'd expect. Sladen took it very well, too ... she came off as very charming and appreciative of the fans, I thought.

Baker was supposed to do a live commentary on a David Tennant episode ("Doctor on Doctor," I guess), but for whatever reason couldn't. At least he didn't leave the convention, I guess.

I'm not a huge "convention guy" (this one and Wizard World are the only ones I've ever attended, aside from something when I was a kid) and wouldn't travel out-of-state for one (you'd be surprised by the amount who do), but when they have the right guests (i.e. no Eric Roberts), this one is worth it. Pretty well organized, never over-mobbed, everyone's generally very nice.

We skipped the "slash fanfic" and alt.sexuality.Doctor.Who panels, by the way. Just too damn weird.

#205 Tony

Tony

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4238 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 06:44 PM

Are you going?

You wouldn't be the first one to crash; I have a friend who does so all the time.

There is a registration fee, though. We pre-paid before Nov. 15 and got a $10 knock-off. The fee gets you a badge and a ticket for autograph signings (which we didn't get). The only place they ever diligently check for a badge is the dealer's room; otherwise you can skate by. I choose to pay on general principle, I guess. That and I suck at being sneaky.

We were there all day Saturday, pretty much. Saw the masquerade show, but left after the first 20 minutes of "Mysterious Theatre 337," a live "MST3K"-patterned "ribbing" of a DW episode. This year it was "Terror of the Vervoids," aka "Trial of a Time Lord" Episodes 9-12. The guys doing it sucked, so we walked.

We caught the writers, Baker, and Sladen too. Someone during her Q&A took her to task for "diva-esque behavior" for charging for an autograph/photography, but it was the convention charging, not her. It was just weird hearing someone say something critical during one of these things; everyone else was as geeky/complimentary as you'd expect. Sladen took it very well, too ... she came off as very charming and appreciative of the fans, I thought.

Baker was supposed to do a live commentary on a David Tennant episode ("Doctor on Doctor," I guess), but for whatever reason couldn't. At least he didn't leave the convention, I guess.

I'm not a huge "convention guy" (this one and Wizard World are the only ones I've ever attended, aside from something when I was a kid) and wouldn't travel out-of-state for one (you'd be surprised by the amount who do), but when they have the right guests (i.e. no Eric Roberts), this one is worth it. Pretty well organized, never over-mobbed, everyone's generally very nice.

We skipped the "slash fanfic" and alt.sexuality.Doctor.Who panels, by the way. Just too damn weird.

I'd never been to one save a Navy Pier thing when I Was like 12 which wasn't really a convention at all. This was about what I expected. A whole bunch of Comic Book Guys but surprising how many little kids in America who apparently love DW.

It was very strange to see 'Seeds of Doom' screening in one room and Sladen speaking in another. She hasn't changed all that much.

#206 Tony

Tony

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4238 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 10:57 AM

So whoever watches 'The Next Doctor' today please say something about it.

#207 Rad Monkey

Rad Monkey

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1861 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 11:58 PM

Christmas Special? I forgot about that....I'll be on the lookout for it. *shady eyes*

--------
--------

#208 Sideswiped

Sideswiped

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 04:43 AM

:ph34r:
http://www. zshare .net/video/5327078359df1ba3/
Mathematical Anti-Telharsic Harfatum Septomin

#209 Mitchell

Mitchell

dirty old man

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20705 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 07:08 PM

Actual bad guys who are decent set this above at least the last two. Bit messy, knockabout fun. RTD daft deus ex machina ending, Morrissey was very good. Enjoyed.

Also next time, Planet of The Dead!
Nice bowl of Crunchy Nut you got here, pretty expensive as I recall.

#210 Tony

Tony

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4238 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 09:07 PM

Actual bad guys who are decent set this above at least the last two. Bit messy, knockabout fun. RTD daft deus ex machina ending, Morrissey was very good. Enjoyed.

Also next time, Planet of The Dead!

Planet of the Dead eh? Gallifrey maybe? or Skaro?

#211 Mitchell

Mitchell

dirty old man

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20705 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 12:52 PM

Posted Image

#212 hummingbird

hummingbird

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 01:28 PM

Posted Image

#213 Diesel

Diesel

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1410 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 01:54 PM

So who is this guy, anyway? Yeah, yeah, his name is Matt Smith. But, who is he and would non-British viewers know him at all?

#214 Tracy Jacks

Tracy Jacks

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1387 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 01:57 PM

Known apparently to his Mom and agent.

If Alex Kingston is to eventually be a companion (I read another article suggesting that the new Doctor will start without a companion) that creates quite an age difference.

Doctor Who? Unknown actor Matt Smith, 26, announced as David Tennant's replacement

By Lizzie Smith

Unknown actor Matt Smith will replace David Tennant as the next Doctor Who, it has been revealed.

At 26 Smith will be the youngest ever Doctor and is a surprise choice for a role which had been hotly tipped to go to an established actor.

The BBC unveiled Smith as the new Doctor - the eleventh in the long-running series - in a special Doctor Who Confidential programme tonight.
Doctor Who? Unknown stage actor Matt Smith, 26, will replace David Tennant as the new Doctor

Doctor Who? Unknown stage actor Matt Smith, 26, will replace David Tennant as the 11th Doctor

Speculation about who would replace Tennant had been rife and included Catherine Zeta Jones, David Morrisey and Billie Piper.

However the closely guarded choice has surprised commentators.

Smith appeared in Alan Bennett's play The History Boys at the National Theatre in London, and alongside Christian Slater in Swimming with Sharks in the West End.

Two of the productions in which he featured - That Face and On the Shore of the Wide World - won Laurence Olivier Awards.

His teenage plans to be a footballer were scuppered by a back injury so he studied drama and creative writing at university.

Smith's TV appearances have included the BBC's versions of The Ruby in the Smoke and The Shadow in the North, both of which featured former assistant Billie Piper.

Smith said he was still coming to terms with the importance of his new job.

'It's sort of an iconic part of our culture, it's been going since 1963 and I think it has the iconic sort of status that Robin Hood or Sherlock Holmes have, and I'm taking that on,' he said.

David Tennant admitted he was envious of his young replacement. 'Everything that's about to unfold and the way that his life is going to change in so many ways... It's exciting.'

Steve Moffat, who is succeeding Russell T Davies as lead writer on the show, said he had originally been looking for a mature replacement for Tennant.

'One thing I was very emphatic about was I thought there were too many people young on the list,' he revealed. 'I said "I think we're looking for someone in their 40s, or 30s". And of course we ended up casting a 26-year-old.'

And he was complimentary about Smith's potential: 'There is something quite old about him, so he looks old and young at the same time, which is terribly important.'

The current incumbent of the role, David Tennant, announced in October that he would be leaving the show after completing the filming of four episodes in 2009.

Rumours of who would be the next occupant of the Tardis were rife, with many suggesting that the new time-defying Doctor could be female.

Cold Feet star James Nesbitt and Life on Mars actor John Simm were among those tipped, while comedian Jennifer Saunders and Hollywood superstar Catherine Zeta Jones were both connected with the prestigious role.

'I just can't wait to tell everyone who it is -- it has been a nail-biting Christmas trying to keep this under wraps,' executive producer Piers Wenger said.

The show's outgoing executive producer Davies, outlined what would be expected of the new actor: 'Whoever becomes the Doctor has got to take on a whole life. It's not just becoming a part of a TV show.'

#215 Mitchell

Mitchell

dirty old man

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20705 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 01:59 PM

Most British viewers wouldn't be familiar with him. Has worked with Piper on The Ruby in The Smoke and was excellent in not well seen Party Animals. Was in The History Boys on stage but other than that, he's 26 and that's about all we know.

#216 Mitchell

Mitchell

dirty old man

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20705 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 02:25 PM

http://news.bbc.co.u...ent/7807996.stm

Who Is Matt Smith?

#217 Badger

Badger

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1155 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 02:36 PM

Appointment has a 'more of the same' feel to it. Was hoping for

Posted Image

Johnson

#218 Mitchell

Mitchell

dirty old man

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20705 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 02:43 PM

Johnson in Space was looking like a nice idea, he does seem to have that mad cap eccentric feel that DT had. More than anything seeing DT go will take some getting used to. Still 5/1 on Betfair yesterday, tasty.