Photo

how many of you fuckheads live in a house?

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#81 fffffffff

fffffffff

Rockist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7182 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 01:37 PM

from what i can tell from my blogs, push mowers are the new hipster way to mow lawns. lol.

http://www.apartment...el-mower-054078

#82 yancy

yancy

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20240 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 01:42 PM

It was inevitable once they grew up, got real jobs, and could afford homes with lawns. Srsly tho, why did people ever switch to heavy, loud, gas guzzling mowers if those blades work fairly well?

#83 gwa

gwa

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2071 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 01:46 PM

It's a good question, especially in the city. I watch people struggle with their mowers for more time than it takes to cut their 400sf yards. With my stupidly laid out yard, you can't even get a mower from the back to the front without walking all the way around the block. I'm going hipster, y'all!

#84 ParticleHustler

ParticleHustler

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5460 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 01:50 PM

I'm torn on the whole mow vs. hire debate. On the one hand, I'm lazy. On the other hand, I'm cheap. I guess the solution is to have kids and make them do it. Or never buy a house.

The "kids" option ain't exactly cheap!

#85 velocity

velocity

Chanel No. ♪♫

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10088 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 01:51 PM

The advantage of gas-guzzlers is they also collect and/or mulch the grass clippings, otherwise you've got to rake after you've mowed = more work. Either type of mower requires that you sharpen the blades periodically, not a big deal in itself.

#86 Meldrick Lewis

Meldrick Lewis

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1407 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 02:44 PM

I hated yardwork until I switched to manually everything -- grass whip, reel mower, scythe, axe, etc. No more pushing loud, gas guzzling contraptions. Now it's all get drunk and go whack things. Great fun.

How well do those push mowers work? I cannot start my mower. I dunno, I suspect leaving the gas in the tank for three winters in a row just gunked it up. Now I'm ready to throw it out and get me the old-fashioned kind... but my yard needs to look nice for any prospective buyers.

They're fine if the grass is dry and isn't too high. You need to mow a little more often than with a riding lawnmower, but it's not that hard if the grass doesn't get too thick. Also, be prepared for the reel mower to stop abruptly if it gets caught up in brush or large twiggery.

Two things that help me: I'm a big guy so I can manhandle the reel mower over bumps and wet grass. And, when I drink, I get stronger. "Fucking fuck grass, I'm gonna fuckin' mow you, you fuck."

What I really llike is the lack of noise, smell and equipment upkeep involved. And that the manual mower costs under a hundred bucks.

But if you weigh 78 pounds or something you might want to mow twice a week and not let the grass ever get clumpy.