28 replies to this topic

#1 Mr. Sinistro

Mr. Sinistro

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1221 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 11:29 AM

Was anyone else at the TOC last night? Anyone near Buckingham Fountain around 7 ish when some pretty big gang fights broke out? We were just standing there and things turned into stampede away from there. Had to hop up some small fence and take cover in some Zagat booth. There were totally not enough police down there. Not nearly enough. Roving groups of people were there obviously to just cause trouble, it was pretty surreal. If you saw the news, there was a gang related shooting at Congress and Dearborn after the fireworks and what's to say that would not have happened near the Fountain? It was like every gang in the city just decided to meet up there and look for fights. I felt really bad for any older people caught in all that panic, really f'ing sad that this crap happens and keeps people from having a safe and enjoyable time. It was so absolutely overcrowded down there, thank God the weather was nice. I felt stuck for a while after the fighting and nervousness died down and we figured out how to get out of there going north instead of against the flow of people from the west. There were some shootings and deaths within the TOC last year, right? This was the first time I'd gone in years and, yeah, I know that the night of fireworks it gets extra-extra crowded, but after 7 it was just pointless to be there. You couldn't even walk between food booths.

My Band: The Atlantic Divide
My Artwork: mg33.net.
My Blog: Random Transmission.

The Atlantic Divide - Upcoming Shows:
Thursday March 12th - Opening for Ours at Bottom Lounge - 8PM - $15 - 18+.
Thursday March 26th - With New Colossus, Eric & The Implants - 8PM - $8 - 17+.

Currently working on new EP due out in May.

#2 Hewletts Daughter

Hewletts Daughter

SING! CAPTAIN!

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9713 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 11:36 AM

There were some shootings and deaths within the TOC last year, right?

I don't know about last year, but I know about three or four years ago there was one on the third during the fireworks. I was down there for the Taste and then went to some show at the House of Blues and while I was at the show, there was a shooting. My mom apparently tried calling me a bunch of times because she heard about it and was worried and my phone wasn't getting reception inside the HoB. Then eventually my signal got screwed up and when my mom called, the signal wound up getting mixed up, leading to some black woman answering her phone and my mom going in to full on panic mode. Luckily I saw her 72 voice mails after the show, called her back, adn we shared our stories before I went home.

But yea, my experiences with the Taste is that it's always been overcrowded and flled with ignorant people. It's a large part of teh reason I've stopped going these past few years.
I've got dials and knobs soft to the touch

#3 without_opinion

without_opinion

Minister of Health

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5575 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 11:40 AM

we could easily turn this thread into the spiraling out of control violence & shootings that seems to be taking over our fair city. it's getting ridiculous.
Music Is My Girlfriend (click for playlists) -- my brother's weekly radio show (new time!), Mondays, 2pm CST, out of Crested Butte, CO. Hear it at KBUT fm online

#4 Mr. Sinistro

Mr. Sinistro

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1221 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 11:48 AM

we could easily turn this thread into the spiraling out of control violence & shootings that seems to be taking over our fair city. it's getting ridiculous.

Yep, indeed. It was just so totally obvious who wasn't there to even buy tickets and eat food. It made me think of The Warriors, like someone just put out a message and said "Every gang, thug, troublemaker across the city, show up down here. I can't even imagine what other fights took place besides the two that I saw.

My Band: The Atlantic Divide
My Artwork: mg33.net.
My Blog: Random Transmission.

The Atlantic Divide - Upcoming Shows:
Thursday March 12th - Opening for Ours at Bottom Lounge - 8PM - $15 - 18+.
Thursday March 26th - With New Colossus, Eric & The Implants - 8PM - $8 - 17+.

Currently working on new EP due out in May.

#5 no magnets

no magnets

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 11:53 AM

i can't imagine today will be any better with crowds. and i really want to see alejandro escovedo and old 97s. but i don't want to deal with the masses that'll congregate there all afternoon.

#6 sKinnY

sKinnY

Maître D'

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9439 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 01:22 PM

we were down there last night but didn't go inside. there was a pretty good police presence outside of the park on the city streets and stuff. i did see quite a few cops standing around with their hands on their gats, most likely from that cop getting shot and killed in roscoe the night before.

"what kind of moe cop doesn't give her the old suck on my balls warning?

"Posted Image

#7 Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 03:11 PM

hopefully not as crowded headed down in about 15 min. today's lineup vodka lemonade sangria beer i ate like a pig yesterday no food till sunday
Posted Image

#8 SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 03:22 PM

The ignorant masses will appear at anything this large and free. The fireworks night is, without fail, the worst experience one could possibly have at the Taste. If you're down there during the fireworks, you may also notice about half of the people not even paying attention to them. Seems pointless, no?
"Eww! You guys START with that?" Liz Lemon

Posted Image

#9 Hero

Hero

Wildcard

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8995 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 08:00 PM

Aly & AJ are playing at the Taste on sunday.... i think i might actually go, since the worst of the crowd will just be lil kids
"the ladies have been checking me out lately.... could it be the 10 push-ups i've been cranking out every other Sunday? - Perhaps!" -Scrubs

Some people are a lot like slinkys... kinda useless, not really good for anything -but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs

Posted Image

"After much thought into this, I have finally come to a conclusion as to why the ‘Meet the Spartans’ commercial is so funny:

It is an interesting choice to have Sanjaya sing ‘I’m not gay,’ as his final words on earth. As he is plummeting into a seemingly bottomless pit, he does not say ‘dear god no,’ ‘I love you mom,’ or even simply ‘argh.’ He instead takes the moment to reaffirm to the world, in spite of their doubts, that he is not a homosexual. Not only that, but he continues to sing, despite falling to his certain death. The distinct lack of plausibility of this situation is what produces giggles from our mouth. It is the antithesis to the belief that ‘it’s funny because it is true.’
"

#10 pong

pong

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9208 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 09:03 PM

I do not like the Taste of Chicago.

#11 Spiz

Spiz

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 09:37 PM

I do not like the Taste of Chicago.

..but...giant turkey leg... :(

#12 yancy

yancy

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20240 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 01:32 AM

I've never been to the taste and that's not likely to change after reading this thread.

#13 Rob Gordon

Rob Gordon

sha la la, man

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8663 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 03:08 AM

Ah yes, Chicago. Now where's Avec who called Paris a dirty little city.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#14 musicgurl

musicgurl

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1498 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 07:49 AM

I didn't even go see the fireworks but I was ticked off about dealing with the crowds. Trying to get to Union Station at 7:15pm on Thursday night was a NIGHTMARE!!! Stupid people everywhere. I can't even imagine how bad it was at the actual Taste. Dealing with the holiday weekend crowds on the Metra these past few days has been hellish and dammit I still have two more nights to deal with all of the suburban assclowns. <_< When I lived in Texas I would miss not being able to attend the Taste every summer. Now I've been back for two years and I still haven't gone. I may brave the crowds and go today before work. I needs me something fried and on a stick.
Elbow Deep In Chocolate Daily "Beauty is only a light switch away." - Chef Dale "And in the words of Albert Schweitzer...I fancy you." - Eddie Izzard "I haven't felt this devastated since Krakow was left standing with his bike, and Jordan Catalano pulled away with Angela." -- Janeane Garofalo

#15 JeffTweedysFatStomach

JeffTweedysFatStomach

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1283 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 11:45 AM

I took the red line south last night and got on at the Jackson spot. There were some serious dudes with serious weapons all over the place - automatic weapons (including automatic shotguns),headsets, night vision shit, dogs, knives, the whole deal. It was scary as shit.

#16 fabulous muscles

fabulous muscles

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3764 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 12:26 PM

Went to the Taste once, and that was enough for me. BS. Check this, my friend stood me up on Sunday when we had planned to go to the gay parade, and instead he went to the Taste to see Plain White T's play. What an asshole.
No Homo.

#17 Hero

Hero

Wildcard

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8995 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 12:30 PM

I didn't even go see the fireworks but I was ticked off about dealing with the crowds. Trying to get to Union Station at 7:15pm on Thursday night was a NIGHTMARE!!! Stupid people everywhere. I can't even imagine how bad it was at the actual Taste. Dealing with the holiday weekend crowds on the Metra these past few days has been hellish and dammit I still have two more nights to deal with all of the suburban assclowns. <_<

Metra has been packed this week, but they've beefed up security and have done a great job recently. Thursday, they had security checking bags to get on the train to keep idiots from getting drunk on the train.
Then, the security (actually cops with guns) rode the train to make sure nobody got outta control
"the ladies have been checking me out lately.... could it be the 10 push-ups i've been cranking out every other Sunday? - Perhaps!" -Scrubs

Some people are a lot like slinkys... kinda useless, not really good for anything -but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs

Posted Image

"After much thought into this, I have finally come to a conclusion as to why the ‘Meet the Spartans’ commercial is so funny:

It is an interesting choice to have Sanjaya sing ‘I’m not gay,’ as his final words on earth. As he is plummeting into a seemingly bottomless pit, he does not say ‘dear god no,’ ‘I love you mom,’ or even simply ‘argh.’ He instead takes the moment to reaffirm to the world, in spite of their doubts, that he is not a homosexual. Not only that, but he continues to sing, despite falling to his certain death. The distinct lack of plausibility of this situation is what produces giggles from our mouth. It is the antithesis to the belief that ‘it’s funny because it is true.’
"

#18 crash

crash

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 01:38 PM

That sounds shitty. Never been to Chicago, but I hit Taste of DC once, it was just as bad as y'all have described.
I live my life a quarter mile at a time.

#19 Duff.

Duff.

I'm a monsta, I'm a killa.

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5887 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 01:58 PM

Went to the Taste once, and that was enough for me. BS. Check this, my ex-friend stood me up on Sunday when we had planned to go to the gay parade, and instead he went to the Taste to see Plain White T's play. What an asshole.

Fixed.

No, it'll be stupid, and we're already doing something stupid.
murderfbanner.gif

#20 Damo Suzuki

Damo Suzuki

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3715 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 03:18 PM

I can't think of anything more enjoyable than paying for tickets to eat food on a stick/in a paper plate while standing in the 100 degree weather of Chicago summers. Oh and if it can be loud and overcrowded with the possibility of gang violence all the better.
"One can't love man without hating most of the creatures who pretend to bear his name."