Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1321 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 12:09 PM

http://www.mediafire.com/?uh1j16wywfa
Posted Image
just giving it the first spin...

i love these guys...EWPTLMIG is one my favs of all time and BnA was a great follow up...everything after that has been mediocre...

but my buddy whos in white rabbits is chummy with these guys and has had a copy of this for a while and said it was amazing when i last spoke to him so im pumped to hear this...
"If you're young and not liberal, you have no heart. If you're old and not conservative, you have no mind."

-Winston Churchill

Posted Image

#2 franty

franty

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 03:02 PM

i love the walkmen.... so i was really excited to see a new album leaked (didn't even know it was ready). anyway, stored it into my iPoor and went for a walk (went to buy tickets to see conor oberst and the mystic valley band, actually)... i must say: this is the most depressing album of the year. reminds me of EWPTLMIG... but a lot more darker. a good album, but you have to be in the mood for that sort of thing, and i wasn't :( oh, well. bows and arrows and a hundred miles off are still my favorites.

#3 Johnny's Shack

Johnny's Shack

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1046 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 03:09 PM

http://www.mediafire.com/?uh1j16wywfa
Posted Image
just giving it the first spin...

i love these guys...EWPTLMIG is one my favs of all time and BnA was a great follow up...everything after that has been mediocre...

but my buddy whos in white rabbits is chummy with these guys and has had a copy of this for a while and said it was amazing when i last spoke to him so im pumped to hear this...

YES! What a sweet fucking leak. I heard them play three or four new songs live when they opened for Spoon. One of them has been stuck in my head ever since. It has this caribbean-flavored vibe and a really great vocal hook for the chorus (EDIT: the song is "Canadian Girl," though it doesn't sound too caribbean anymore). To me these guys haven't put out a bad disc yet. A Hundred Miles Off wasn't great, but it had a number of good tracks and maybe their best track, "Another One Goes By." I feel like that album was somewhat slept on.

#4 _____________

din da da...

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13368 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 04:33 PM

so far so good...

#5 vamos

vamos

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2018 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 04:36 PM

So far this is amazing

where do we gooo new?!!?

#6 Hans Christian Anderson

Hans Christian Anderson

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4919 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 04:53 PM

that cover looks so B+S its remarkable. i think this is a good band, not great. i do look forward to seeing them for my first time in september, but i don't know if i want to download this right now or not.

#7 Johnny's Shack

Johnny's Shack

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1046 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 05:12 PM

that cover looks so B+S its remarkable.

i think this is a good band, not great. i do look forward to seeing them for my first time in september, but i don't know if i want to download this right now or not.

I don't think they've released an undeniable classic, but for my money they're one of the best bands going that do a formal guitars, bass, drums rock set-up. Since their first album they were able to do what every rock band aspires to: craft a unique, identifiable sound. Live though, Leithauser needs to stop shrieking and become a bit more comfortable on stage.

#8 Hans Christian Anderson

Hans Christian Anderson

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4919 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 06:43 PM

they're a good band, don't get me wrong, but i'd hardly say they're one of the best bands playing today. plus the singles are way better than the albums

#9 Meldrick Lewis

Meldrick Lewis

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1407 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 11:22 PM

Put this on shuffle with Last Shadow Puppets, it works really well. "The Blue Route" is cool.

#10 vamos

vamos

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2018 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 12:16 AM

I didn't know this was coming out, but I'm still going to say that it has really exceeded my expectations. I would say that EWPTLMIG at least approaches classic status.

where do we gooo new?!!?

#11 Johnny's Shack

Johnny's Shack

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1046 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 01:15 AM

Wow, the ballads on this are gorgeous. "Red Moon," "Long Time Ahead of Us," and "New Country" all sound great on one listen. The use of horns is pretty sophisticated for the band having only experimented with them on one track before. Their elegance reminds me of Boxer. Unless the last two tracks are terrible, this is easily the most consistent album they've made. They seem to have stepped their game up.

#12 Hewletts Daughter

Hewletts Daughter

SING! CAPTAIN!

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9713 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 02:41 AM

I'll download this now and give it a listen in the AM but for now, I wanted to remind everyone that 'The Rat' is singly one of the greatest songs written in the 2000s I think I've rediscovered it lately and it's pretty much fantastic
I've got dials and knobs soft to the touch

#13 bunk

bunk

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 802 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 05:28 AM

I'll download this now and give it a listen in the AM

but for now, I wanted to remind everyone that 'The Rat' is singly one of the greatest songs written in the 2000s I think

I've rediscovered it lately and it's pretty much fantastic

Yup. For me I flip flop on that and "Float On" as the best song of 2004. Both are fucking great though and two of the best of this decade for sure.

#14 the dude

the dude

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 09:14 AM

after a first listen, i'm pretty impressed. never really hated anything they've done, never really been blown away either though, but there's one song on this pup that's a mega, mega winner.

#15 RabbiSchmoiley

RabbiSchmoiley

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1441 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 09:54 AM

I wanted to remind everyone that 'The Rat' is singly one of the greatest songs written in the 2000s I think

OTM... and that's why the last few Walkmen albums have been disappointments to me. It's not like Bows + Arrows was consistently, ridiculously amazing, but... "Thinking of a Dream I Had" and especially "The Rat" are truly fantastic songs. The last album was almost completely a snoozer, and this one, on first listen, is more consistent. But still... can't they at least attempt to rock out anymore? I'll give it a few more listens and hope that something hits home...

#16 DrJimmy

DrJimmy

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6912 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 10:36 AM

fabulous album cover.

#17 nagode

nagode

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1321 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 11:34 AM

i gave this disc two spins yesterday...and while i like it im not crazy about it...yes it definitely sounds like EWPTetc but there are NO rockers...its like this band has lost its angst and just gotten really sad...

as far as hamilton being comfortable that dude has one of the greatest stage presences ive seen...he has complete control when hes up there and always looks so pissed during certain songs...the rat, dream i had, wake up, rue the day...the guy is constantly screaming up there but always keeps his voice under control...if you saw him shriek than maybe his voice has taken a beating since ive last seen them but man that dude kills it up there..

fabulous album cover.

otm...almost as good as EWPTLMIG

also on the water is pretty much awesome...love the whistling at the end
"If you're young and not liberal, you have no heart. If you're old and not conservative, you have no mind."

-Winston Churchill

Posted Image

#18 Hans Christian Anderson

Hans Christian Anderson

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4919 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 12:04 PM

Wow, the ballads on this are gorgeous. "Red Moon," "Long Time Ahead of Us," and "New Country" all sound great on one listen. The use of horns is pretty sophisticated for the band having only experimented with them on one track before. Their elegance reminds me of Boxer.

this really has me intrigued, as HCA = loves boxer.

and yeah, the cover is totally fantastic, if not a 87% rip off of belle and sebastian's visual aesthetic.

also, the rat rules and is definitely their best song.

#19 JeffTweedysFatStomach

JeffTweedysFatStomach

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1283 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 12:15 PM

Putting this on now. For the record, The Walkmen have been, in my opinion, the best band going for a few years now. The records have all taken steps and gotten better as they've gone on. I've seen them 8 times in the last year and the new songs I've heard live have been the best yet. These are the hopes I carry as I start this journey into You & Me...

#20 JeffTweedysFatStomach

JeffTweedysFatStomach

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1283 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 12:25 PM

Holy shit - 3 songs in this has the potential to be one of my favorite albums ever.