146 replies to this topic

#101 RustyTrombone

RustyTrombone

Lurker

• Sombie
  • Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 03:59 PM

So I'm def. buying this tonight - anywhere doing any good giveaways in Chicago (or online) to go along with it?

Hamilton mentioned a website you can go to and order the album for $5....goes to some charity i think....he mentions it in the video link above.

#102 solace

solace

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9404 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 04:02 PM

i bought it on red vinyl from insound, it's awesome

#103 Johnny's Shack

Johnny's Shack

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1046 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 01:09 PM

A Hundred Miles Off is underrated, but it's still not their best by a long shot.

This, however, might overtake Bows + Arrows in my estimation. So much brilliant stuff here.

I'd say it's at least worthy of a 9.0

see id agree except from at least a p4k standard they try and reserve those for something "new" nothing on this album is especially innovative or groundbreaking thus the solid 8.5...i dont know thats just what i think...

true. 8.5 from Pitchfork is basically saying "we like this album, we know it's good, but we're not ready to totally get behind it and have the album become associated with us." Seeing as how the album is mostly relaxed in its tone and hardly rushes to impress, as their review notes, the score makes sense. It's charms grow with time and I wouldn't be surprised to see it wind up in their top 10, much like Spoon's Ga, which also received an 8.5.

When Fork gives a 9.0 it creates a buzz around the indie-internet world, and so it seems that an unheard of, unestablished act (or Radiohead) is much more likely to receive a 9.0+. It's in this way that Fork can exert some sort of control on what new bands people listen to. Just checking over their scores from this years attests to that. Most people probably weren't listening to the bands in the "9.0 Club" last year: Hercules & Love Affair, Fleet Foxes, No Age. I can't remember any more. The established acts who release great albums get the 8 range scores (Portishead, M83, Walkmen). Then again, their scores for Vampire Weekend and Cut Copy contradict what I'm saying.

#104 SirGabriel

SirGabriel

Lurker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 01:12 PM

Pitchfork smearing is passe'

#105 Johnny's Shack

Johnny's Shack

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1046 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 01:21 PM

Pitchfork smearing is passe'

Ha, I don't think I'm smearing. I'm probably one of the few people on this board that would openly admit to liking Pitchfork. I'm just offering my explanation of their score logic.

#106 Chicken Invaders!

Chicken Invaders!

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1982 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 06:00 PM

Bought this today because it was $9.99 at Best Buy. And I own all their other records, which is weird, because I've never listened to them all that much. Anyway, I'm liking this a lot. "The Blue Route" is just awesome.

#107 solace

solace

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9404 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 06:05 PM

i think what i finally realized with this record, is that while it's their most cohesive to date, and possibly their best all around album, is that besides the last full length, it also might be their least exciting album to date too. don't get me wrong, i love it, and i love the band, but there's not much on the album that makes me say "wow" really

#108 Chicken Invaders!

Chicken Invaders!

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1982 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 06:08 PM

So it's like instead of compounding all of the awesome into one track they spread it across the whole album.

#109 solace

solace

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9404 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 06:10 PM

maybe... i would have liked at least a couple punkier rockers like the first 2 however. i still honestly prefer the staccato drum and keyboard rhythms and sound from the first album, but i like what they've become too. my favorite Walkmen songs are still stuff like Wake Up and We've Been Had.

#110 Mike Schank

Mike Schank

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 04:43 PM

"In the New Year" is one of the weaker tracks on the album. Don't know if I've heard a better song this year then "I Lost You". Album of the year so far.

#111 vamos

vamos

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2017 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 05:10 PM

"In the New Year" is not one of the weaker tracks

where do we gooo new?!!?

#112 sKinnY

sKinnY

Maître D'

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9439 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 07:41 PM

"In the New Year" is not one of the weaker tracks

truth

"what kind of moe cop doesn't give her the old suck on my balls warning?

"Posted Image

#113 Chronodiggity

Chronodiggity

THE PRINCE OF THE SOMB

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6990 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 11:22 PM

INTERESTING MUSICAL DISCUSSION IS GOING ON IN THIS THREAD
^_^

#114 Hans Christian Anderson

Hans Christian Anderson

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4919 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 10:53 AM

they were great last night night. i should hear this new record.

#115 nagode

nagode

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1321 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 11:01 AM

they were great last night night. i should hear this new record.

immediately..i wanna see how the new stuff plays live...i should really go see them soon
"If you're young and not liberal, you have no heart. If you're old and not conservative, you have no mind."

-Winston Churchill

Posted Image

#116 The Luscious Phil

The Luscious Phil

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3601 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 01:44 AM

Best band.
Posted Image

#117 Bleep Blop

Bleep Blop

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3515 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 01:49 AM

This is really good stuff dudes. Not album of the year material for me(close, but I can't see it taking the top spot at this point), but the Walkmen have kinda dug their way into the back of my brain ever since I listened to Bows+Arrows on a flight back from Japan in Dec. This album clicked pretty immediately for me, and I've been enjoying it immensely over the past week or two. Donde Esta La Playa is a good one. Really interesting way to kick off the album- doesn't sound like an opener in the least. Really sets the tone for the rest though, I would say.

#118 The Luscious Phil

The Luscious Phil

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3601 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 01:53 AM

Going back, A Hundred Miles Off was way better than anyone gave it credit for. Everyone sort of tossed it off as a solid 7, or whatever, but it is seriously just as good as their debut, and almost as good as Bows and Arrows. Seriously, when I think of the best bands of this decade, The Walkmen have a great chance of being in the top spot. Their only competition would most likely be The Liars. Just a really unique band.
Posted Image

#119 Mike Schank

Mike Schank

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 02:32 AM

This album puts them up their with Grandaddy, DBT, Secret Machines and Kings of Leon as best of this decade. "In the New Year" is a good song but that and "Postcards" are the two weakest tracks on the album.

#120 The Luscious Phil

The Luscious Phil

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3601 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 04:22 AM

Would this be the time to say that "Stop Talking" off their debut just hit me like a ton of bricks. I know it is more of a new album lovefest right now, but let's just dive back into their entire catalog. Oh, and thanks for reminding me Mike. Yeah, The Walkmen will most likely just be #2, they don't come close to the DBT's. but yeah, "We've Been Had," just came on. I'm having a good night grading papers and listening to the Walkmen I can't believe people are talking bad about "In The New Year." It might be my favorite song on the album right now.
Posted Image