390 replies to this topic

#101 UselessRocker

UselessRocker

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3847 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 03:08 PM

I went back and listened to Wild Mountain Nation. Better than I remembered it being, but it's not even close.

Furr is the winner.
"LETS GET SOME FUCKING ENERGY UP IN THIS BITCH MOTHERFUCKERS! You are not resigned to a fate of slow, painful death. The world is not as Radiohead and Portishead see it. "Oh the suffering! Oh the suffering, I feel the weight of the world and all it's pain" FUCK YOU......Be the grizzly, tear some shit up, rather than tearing yourself up." -- Montana, 12/21/08

#102 DrJimmy

DrJimmy

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6912 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 11:54 AM

more people need to hear this. def. one of the best albums of the year. you'll see.

#103 poopinmybutt

poopinmybutt

Lurker

• Sombie
  • Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 03:03 PM

i saw them headline with fleet foxes earlier this year and thought blitzen trapper blew them off the stage, what a show...got really into field rexx and wild mountain nation afterwards, even though i kinda dug wild mountain before, but even after that i was not expecting an album like this. very straightforward for them, but imo their greatest album...can't wait to see them with malkmus in a couple of months.

#104 Music Saves

Music Saves

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1408 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 04:45 PM

Seeing them AND Malkmus?? Geez, must be nice. They have a new song coming out on the Choke soundtrack next week, Wicked, I saw it on the Amazon mp3 store. I have a free download there, so I can post it when it comes out, it's only like 1:53 long.
"The public are collectively fucking retarded." - tylerdurden74 "The world is filled with people who are no longer needed - and who try to make slaves of all of us - and they have their music and we have ours - theirs, the wasted songs of a superstitious nightmare - and without their musical and ideological miscarriages to compare our song of freedom to, we'd not have any opposite to compare music with - and like the drifting wind, hitting against no obstacle, we'd never know it's speed, it's power..." Woody Guthrie

#105 UselessRocker

UselessRocker

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3847 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 05:16 PM

They have a new song coming out on the Choke soundtrack next week, Wicked, I saw it on the Amazon mp3 store. I have a free download there, so I can post it when it comes out, it's only like 1:53 long.

Sam Rockwell + new Blitzen Trapper = awesomeness.

Posted Image
"LETS GET SOME FUCKING ENERGY UP IN THIS BITCH MOTHERFUCKERS! You are not resigned to a fate of slow, painful death. The world is not as Radiohead and Portishead see it. "Oh the suffering! Oh the suffering, I feel the weight of the world and all it's pain" FUCK YOU......Be the grizzly, tear some shit up, rather than tearing yourself up." -- Montana, 12/21/08

#106 Ringo Is My Name

Ringo Is My Name

Neophyte

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 06:08 PM

This really is superb. A recent favourite, no doubt. Black River Killer makes me smile and frown at the same time.

#107 poopinmybutt

poopinmybutt

Lurker

• Sombie
  • Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 08:22 PM

Seeing them AND Malkmus?? Geez, must be nice.

They have a new song coming out on the Choke soundtrack next week, Wicked, I saw it on the Amazon mp3 store. I have a free download there, so I can post it when it comes out, it's only like 1:53 long.

awesome. i saw if you preorder it from subpop, you also get a patch and a free download of an outtake that wasn't on the album.

#108 Music Saves

Music Saves

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1408 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 09:24 PM

Seeing them AND Malkmus?? Geez, must be nice.

awesome. i saw if you preorder it from subpop, you also get a patch and a free download of an outtake that wasn't on the album.

Oooh, didn't know that!
"The public are collectively fucking retarded." - tylerdurden74 "The world is filled with people who are no longer needed - and who try to make slaves of all of us - and they have their music and we have ours - theirs, the wasted songs of a superstitious nightmare - and without their musical and ideological miscarriages to compare our song of freedom to, we'd not have any opposite to compare music with - and like the drifting wind, hitting against no obstacle, we'd never know it's speed, it's power..." Woody Guthrie

#109 DrJimmy

DrJimmy

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6912 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 05:44 AM

i find that i can easily remember and hum the first 8 songs. can totally run through them in my head. that never happens with new-ish albums. this is exceptionally melodic.

#110 UselessRocker

UselessRocker

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3847 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 05:04 PM

i find that i can easily remember and hum the first 8 songs. can totally run through them in my head.

that never happens with new-ish albums. this is exceptionally melodic.

It's an album where my favorite songs/moments keep changing. I love those kinds of records. A week ago, I loved "Black River Killer" and "God & Suicide" more than anything else on here. Now "Lady on the Water" is my sleeper hit of the week. Much better than THIS lady on the water:

Posted Image

#111 DrJimmy

DrJimmy

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6912 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 06:10 PM

i find that i can easily remember and hum the first 8 songs. can totally run through them in my head.

It's an album where my favorite songs/moments keep changing. I love those kinds of records. A week ago, I loved "Black River Killer" and "God & Suicide" more than anything else on here. Now "Lady on the Water" is my sleeper hit of the week. Much better than THIS lady on the water:

i agree, my faves keep changing. at first i didn't know what i thought about the last few songs. now i love "Lady on the Water" and "Stolen Shoes & a Rifle"

i think the only song that doesn't do much for me is "War on Machines" which sounds like a Wilco throwaway.

i guess the reason why everyone isn't going crazy for this album is because of the familiar, classic (even imitative) styles and the eschewing of experimentation/noise/weirdness?

#112 Music Saves

Music Saves

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1408 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 06:43 PM

i agree, my faves keep changing. at first i didn't know what i thought about the last few songs. now i love "Lady on the Water" and "Stolen Shoes & a Rifle"

i think the only song that doesn't do much for me is "War on Machines" which sounds like a Wilco throwaway.

i guess the reason why everyone isn't going crazy for this album is because of the familiar, classic (even imitative) styles and the eschewing of experimentation/noise/weirdness?

There's no real reason to not adore this album. It has everything, and represents a real jump in quality from one good album that pretty much came out of nowhere to now, and how often does that realistically happen? I'm preordering from subpop and I'm gonna let it chill til I get it in the mail, not that I'm gonna get tired of it, but I'm going to enjoy blasting the real thing for the first time.

#113 UselessRocker

UselessRocker

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3847 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 05:25 PM

There's no real reason to not adore this album. It has everything, and represents a real jump in quality from one good album that pretty much came out of nowhere to now, and how often does that realistically happen? I'm preordering from subpop and I'm gonna let it chill til I get it in the mail, not that I'm gonna get tired of it, but I'm going to enjoy blasting the real thing for the first time.

Not loving this album is unpatriotic.

#114 Hans Christian Anderson

Hans Christian Anderson

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4919 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 06:16 PM

mhh, i think there's plenty of love for this album, wait till the real reviews start dropping this week. i think it may be a little tougher for them to get FF style acclaim since this is their 4th LP and their missing those harmonies which are so defining of a sound, but i think this record will get plenty of acclaim and recognition. being on sub pop will help a lot. remember, the album's not even out yet. however, as much as i like this record, i still think i prefer the tvotr and jenny lewis records which come out on the same day. i like BT quite a bit, but i don't think they're the most consistient band ever. some of their songs are clearly head and shoulders above others, but their others aren't even really bad outright, moreso just less memorable. also, lady on the water is indeed awesome.

#115 solace

solace

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9404 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 06:36 PM

predicting 8.7-9.1 from PF... they gave Wild Mountain Nation a 8.5

#116 swede

swede

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 07:07 PM

got my black vinyl saturday...came with a patch, sticker, and pin..

#117 UselessRocker

UselessRocker

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3847 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 07:24 PM

Rolling Stone has already reviewed it and given it 4 stars. Then again, the new Ne-Yo and Metallica albums also got 4 stars. Also, the guy said that WMN was their debut and sadly, he didn't think Furr was Blitzen Trapper's Blood on the Tracks.

#118 Hans Christian Anderson

Hans Christian Anderson

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4919 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 07:54 PM

^ :lol:

#119 Hans Christian Anderson

Hans Christian Anderson

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4919 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 07:56 PM

making this release even a bit more difficult for me to fully LOVE is that i think "big black bird" from EP3 (the tour EP they were selling when they toured w/ fleet foxes in april/may) is probably better (or at least more catchy) than anything on furr, save maybe for the title track. that song makes me want to drink like 15 PBRs and hippy dance

#120 Ent

Ent

Hipster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1726 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 08:15 PM

making this release even a bit more difficult for me to fully LOVE is that i think "big black bird" from EP3 (the tour EP they were selling when they toured w/ fleet foxes in april/may) is probably better (or at least more catchy) than anything on furr, save maybe for the title track.

that song makes me want to drink like 15 PBRs and hippy dance

I'd love to be able to buy a copy of the tour ep, but can't find it anywhere! no listings on ebay at the moment...