555 replies to this topic

#361 Tracy Jacks

Tracy Jacks

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1387 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 08:46 PM

Little known facts about Michael Phelps: - He eats 12,000 calories a day when in training. - During the Olympics he has a busy schedule. He basically eats, sleeps and swims!! - He won two races even though his goggles filled with water. - Just before each race he flaps his arms three times. - It takes him and other racers 30 minutes to get into their $500 high tech swim suits - He has size 14 feet and flexible ankles that enable his incredible dolphin kick - His mother raised him on her own after a divorce, and is in the stands right now! - He has won more gold medals than any Olympian ever!! Have I missed anything? New drinking game, if NBC repeats a Michael Phelps fun fact you drink. If he medals, you chug.

#362 Campaigner

Campaigner

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1674 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 08:56 PM

Cricket appeared once in 1900, along with Golf.

Should be back in the games - I know Baseball's going the way of the dodo, but if that gets a berth, then so should cricket. At least in cricket, there's quite a few countries who could conceivably win it.

#363 Campaigner

Campaigner

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1674 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 09:21 PM

Swim of a lifetime there by Rebecca Soni. Well done - prior to this race, Liesel Jones had the nine fastest times in history. Not anymore!

#364 Nick

Nick

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6011 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 10:19 PM

Has anyone at the Olympics ever jumped in the water & started doing the wrong stroke?

#365 gwa

gwa

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2071 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 10:22 PM

Has anyone at the Olympics ever jumped in the water & started doing the wrong stroke?

:lol: I'd love to know.

My interest is waning. Ready for track & field to start.

#366 Tracy Jacks

Tracy Jacks

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1387 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 10:38 PM

OK, this is what drives me crazy about judged events. Nastia Liukin does a PERFECT vault and scores only a 15.025 with a 5.5 difficulty and an excultion of 9.525. The Chinese girl Jiang Yuyuan FALLS ON HER ASS and scores a 14.825 with a 6.5 difficulty and an execution of 8.325. 8.325 for FALLING ON YOUR ASS. What do you need do to to get an execution score of 7.5, land on your head and DIE?!?!? How do people dedicate their lives to this nonsense?!?!?!? Falling on your ass in the vault should be at least a 3 point deduction. Hell, they should call for security and drag your ass out of the venue. Should be easy for security as your ass is already on the ground in perfect position for dragging.

#367 Campaigner

Campaigner

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1674 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 10:47 PM

Probably not, but this is still my favourite.

#368 birdistheword

birdistheword

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2258 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 10:58 PM

Nastia Liukin does a PERFECT vault and scores only a 15.025 with a 5.5 difficulty and an excultion of 9.525.

The Chinese girl Jiang Yuyuan FALLS ON HER ASS and scores a 14.825 with a 6.5 difficulty and an execution of 8.325.

8.325 for FALLING ON YOUR ASS. What do you need do to to get an execution score of 7.5, land on your head and DIE?!?!?

:lol: Good point.

Having said that, I'm reminded of something Jay Mohr said during the '04 Olympics. He was talking about diving, but it applies here too. (paraphrasing) "These people are jumping into the air and free falling several stories while flipping, rotating and twisting in the most amazing configurations possible, but when it's over, we're supposed to be disappointed because 'oh, there was a splash...' WTF?"

If you really place yourself in their shoes and visualize what you'd need to do to mimic their routines, it's f-ing amazing, and yet 9 times out of 10, these girls walk away from these routines looking like grim death. I understand there were imperfections and they're in a competition, but it kinda sucks when you do things very few people on earth can do and take no pleasure in it.

#369 birdistheword

birdistheword

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2258 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 11:41 PM

Trib has an interesting article that weighs Phelps' place among the greatest Olympians ever. Phelps best Olympic athlete ever? Someday maybe, but not today By Philip Hersh Tribune Olympic Bureau 7:32 PM CDT, August 14, 2008 BEIJING Could everyone please stop hyperventilating about Michael Phelps? Yes, he now has won more gold medals than anyone in Olympic history. No, that does not make him the greatest Olympic athlete in history. In fact, he doesn't even make my top five. He is number six with a bullet, moving up the charts like a hot pop song. Ahead of him? 1. Carl Lewis, U.S., track and field. 2. Paavo Nurmi, Finland, track and field. 3. Larisa Latynina, Soviet Union, gymnastics. 4. Birgit Fischer-Schmidt, Germany, kayak. 5. Steven Redgrave, United Kingdom, rowing. Why is Phelps sixth? It is easy to win multiple medals in swimming. The sport is far more forgiving on the body than track or gymnastics. And Phelps does not yet have the long-term record of the others. Lewis won nine gold medals, four in the 1984 Olympics and four straight in one event, the long jump. Nurmi won nine gold medals at distances from 1,500 to 10,000 meters over three Olympics. He likely would have won more had he not been declared ineligible after 1928 under rules that demanded Olympians be amateurs. Latynina won nine gold medals and 18 total medals over three Olympics. Fischer-Schmidt won her first of eight gold medals in 1980 and her last 24 years later as a 42-year-old mother of two. She won three for the old East Germany and five for the unified Germany. She won in singles, doubles and fours. She also won four silvers. Redgrave won gold medals in five consecutive Olympics while rowing in three different boat types. I asked Phelps Thursday if winning the most golds makes him the greatest of all time, and he sounded like a man wisely focused on the present. "I have no idea," he said. "I just get in the water and swim. That's the only thing I think about." I asked renowned Olympic historian David Wallechinsky the same question, and he ranked Nurmi and Lewis as co-leaders. "I think Phelps needs one more Olympics to join them," Wallechinsky said. Over 12 years, Lewis won two gold medals in the 100 meters, one in the 200, two on the sprint relay and an unprecedented four straight in the long jump, an event in which the impact on the body of the run-up and takeoff has been likened to falling off a truck at 25 miles per hour. "What Lewis did is extraordinary. He is Number One," said France's Marie-Jose Perec, one of three runners to win the 200 and 400 meters in the same Olympics. "You can't compare track and swimming. In swimming, you can recover. You can do five races in a day and get world records in all of them. That's impossible in our sport." Don't try to argue that Phelps has been part of world-record performances in his first five events. New pool and suit technology have made swimming's world records meaningless, with 18 record performances through Thursday in the Olympics alone. Just four world records have fallen in track and field all year. Swimming allows an athlete to race two finals in 24 minutes, as U.S. Olympian Ryan Lochte planned Friday morning. Track and field is so much more physically demanding that neither Allyson Felix nor Sanya Richards dared a 200-400 double after the Olympic schedule put the second round of the 200 within three hours of the 400 final. "Swimming is pressure off your body, where we are pounding on it," Felix said. Swimming offers three relays with the risk of a false start minimal. Some sprinters run both track relays, the 400 and 1,600, but the exchanges on the sprint relay are so dicey Lewis lost a certain medal in 1988 when other U.S. runners botched a baton pass in a preliminary round. If Olympic track had an 800-meter relay, an event in which Lewis was part of a world-record performance, he likely would have won at least two more gold medals. Three of swimming's four strokes -- everything but breaststroke -- might as well be the same. Otherwise, how could backstroker Matt Grevers say he barely trained that stroke before winning an Olympic silver medal in the 100? Nearly every good freestyler can be a good butterflyer, and vice-versa. You don't see any 100-meter runners in the mile, or any milers in the long jump. Don't get the wrong idea. Track athletes have great respect for what Phelps has accomplished. "It's inspiring to watch in amazement at everything he's doing," Felix said. But he's not the most amazing Olympian ever. Phil Hersh has focused on international sports and the Olympics at the Chivcago Tribune since 1987. He has covered 14 Olympics.

#370 helmet52

helmet52

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1506 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 11:44 PM

OMG did that bring a smile to my face. Thanks for sharing.

#371 Tracy Jacks

Tracy Jacks

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1387 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 11:45 PM

Good response. Which only further highlights the flaws of these athletic/artistic performance demonstrations masquerading as sports. Still watching though. Nastia entering last rotation in 1st. Jiang Yuyuan, otherwise known as AssGurl, is in 5th with an outside chance at medaling, despite falling on her ass.

#372 birdistheword

birdistheword

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2258 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 11:56 PM

Nastia's got it. F-ing amazing. Once again, someone else on the U.S. team has stolen the thunder from the media-hyped star.

#373 nagode

nagode

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1321 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 12:07 AM

amazing gymnast final... which btw dont know if everyone knows this but there is a country in the summer olympics called Gabon...the president of this country has promised the first person to get a gold medal for his country their dreamhouse and riches beyond belief not only for their family but as long as the bloodline lasts... so me and some co workers got the great idea of defecting to Gabon and start training for team handball for 2012... sounds like a fail proof plan to me...
"If you're young and not liberal, you have no heart. If you're old and not conservative, you have no mind."

-Winston Churchill

Posted Image

#374 gwa

gwa

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2071 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 01:34 AM

Seriously, how does anyone have such poise on the beam under that pressure? Nastia killed it.

#375 Campaigner

Campaigner

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1674 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 02:07 AM

OMG did that bring a smile to my face. Thanks for sharing.

That commentary wasn't official btw. In Sydney, we had two comedians do a show each night called 'The Dream with Roy & HG'. This was a clip form that show (although the race itself was very real).

Apparently the show was such a hit that athletes in the village would crowd around TVs every night to watch it and being a guest on the show was an highlight for many. US sprinter Jon Drummond was on the show and couldn't stop smiling, especially when he presented with his gift - a gold pin with the show's mascot... 'Fatso the Fat-Ass Wombat' on it.

Here's some more;

#376 Mitchell

Mitchell

dirty old man

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20691 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 05:14 AM

Bradley Wiggins looking phenomenal on the cycling track, need to pick up the pace if I'm going to get this 16 golds bet. Tomorrow should be a good day.
Nice bowl of Crunchy Nut you got here, pretty expensive as I recall.

#377 Badger

Badger

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1155 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 06:19 AM

Went for a piss and missed the whole of the team sprint final! Wasn't that big a piss either.

#378 Bruegel

Bruegel

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1755 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 06:31 AM

You could probably have a really leisurely dump and still see the conclusion of the Madison. That thing goes on for ages.
Posted Image

#379 Badger

Badger

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1155 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 06:40 AM

Let's hope Paula remembers to go before the race this year.

#380 Mitchell

Mitchell

dirty old man

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20691 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 07:17 AM

Hopefully Yngling and Ainslie will hold on for gold and three or four in the track cycling will take GB nearer to my money winning 16 total.
Nice bowl of Crunchy Nut you got here, pretty expensive as I recall.