120 replies to this topic

#1 Mitchell

Mitchell

dirty old man

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20691 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 11:24 AM

I know this is a few months away still but seeing as I, or someone else would have started a thread in November time anyway I’ll do so now for reasons that will become obvious later.

http://www.mojo4musi...hitealbum.shtml

Lots of interesting stuff on there, most of all the perennial 'reduce to two sides of vinyl' debate which I threw my hat into the ring with the below:

Side One
1 Birthday
2 Dear Prudence
3 Glass Onion
4 Mother Nature's Son
5 Long, Long, Long
6 Why Don't We Do It in the Road?
7 Happiness Is a Warm Gun
Side Two
1 Back in the U.S.S.R.
2 While My Guitar Gently Weeps (Ant III)
3 Blackbird
4 Revolution (A la David Frost version)
5 I Will
6 Cry Baby Cry (Can't You Take Me Back Where I Came From)
7 Julia
8 Good Night

Included in this month’s CD is the first disc with a whole set of covers, as they did with Revolver a couple of years ago which can be found hXXp://www.sendspace.com/file/usehri

• LIZ GREEN Back In The U.S.S.R
  • LAU Dear Prudence
  • BIG LINDA Glass Onion
  • GABRIELLA CILMI Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da
  • THE SUPPLIERS Wild Honey Pie
  • DAWN KINNARD & RON SEXSMITH WITH THE SUPPLIERS The Continuing Story Of Bungalow Bill
  • VIRGIN PASSAGES While My Guitar Gently Weeps
  • AIDAN SMITH Happiness Is A Warm Gun
  • VASHTI BUNYAN & MAX RICHTER Martha My Dear
  • PHIL CAMPBELL I'm So Tired
  • JULIE FOWLIS Blackbird
  • PUMAJAW Piggies
  • JOHNNY FLYNN Rocky Raccoon
  • FIELD MUSIC Don't Pass Me By
  • BABEL Why Don't We Do It In The Road?
  • JOAN AS POLICEWOMAN I Will
  • A GIRL CALLED EDDY Julia

Nice bowl of Crunchy Nut you got here, pretty expensive as I recall.

#2 Waylon

Waylon

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4390 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 11:35 AM

Great album. I remember buying the 30th anniversary edition like it was yesterday.

Still waiting for Slackmo to delete this thread.

#3 Sid Hartha

Sid Hartha

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4401 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 11:37 AM

what a great idea - take one of the best records ever made, and cut it in half. meanwhile, every shitty indie album that passes a 2 year anniversary gets a multi-disk expanded reissue

#4 Mike N.

Mike N.

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 11:37 AM

Rubber Soul is better. Less water, more tunez.

#5 Mitchell

Mitchell

dirty old man

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20691 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 11:40 AM

what a great idea - take one of the best records ever made, and cut it in half.

Exactly, I think it's daft that people seem so obsessed with doing this but I had to play along to try and win some swag.
Nice bowl of Crunchy Nut you got here, pretty expensive as I recall.

#6 pong

pong

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9208 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 11:42 AM

Revolutionary album that changed music forever and made Charles Manson kill people.

#7 Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ

Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9457 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 11:43 AM

you would really open with 'birthday'?
Aren't there any girls out their who like good music? I need to and want to meet them. My favorite bands are Overkill River, The Nife, Songs:Ohio, and Nuetral Milk Hotel. Please let me know if your into indy music and like to go to show's and drink beer's and makeout.

#8 Agrimorfee

Agrimorfee

Too nice for his own good

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13306 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 11:47 AM

you would really open with 'birthday'?

Yeah, that's definitely a side 2 opener. "Back" is one of the greatest album openers of all time! <_<

And WDWDIITR?
Could use a better, longer song to sub that one.

All in all, thanks for sharing, Clem.

"Is everyone on here just an act sometimes?"--Hummingbird

Read all of my stupid song parodies here. Latest song improved/ruined: "No More Mr. Nice Guy" by Alice Cooper.

Download all of my alleged music free through the remainder of May at www.soundclick.com/agrimorfee

Also jabbering about music and movies at www.rateyourmusic.com

#9 bobsatwork

bobsatwork

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 12:10 PM

...most of all the perennial 'reduce to two sides of vinyl' debate which I threw my hat into the ring with the below:

Side One
1 Birthday
2 Dear Prudence
3 Glass Onion
4 Mother Nature's Son
5 Long, Long, Long
6 Why Don't We Do It in the Road?
7 Happiness Is a Warm Gun
Side Two
1 Back in the U.S.S.R.
2 While My Guitar Gently Weeps (Ant III)
3 Blackbird
4 Revolution (A la David Frost version)
5 I Will
6 Cry Baby Cry (Can't You Take Me Back Where I Came From)
7 Julia
8 Good Night

wow, no "Helter Skelter," "I'm So Tired," "Yer Blues" or "Everybody's Got Something To Hide Except For Me And My Monkey."

i remember a thread on here years ago where the "cut it down to one record" debate took place. i think i might have even started it, given George Martin's wish that they had cut it down to one record.

i think a lot of people hated that idea. it was just an idea.

#10 Rob Gordon

Rob Gordon

sha la la, man

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8663 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 12:12 PM

and it needs a fresh coat of paint
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#11 Sid Hartha

Sid Hartha

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4401 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 12:35 PM

here's a good reason why you shouldn't touch the album's original sequence (from wikipedia):

Album sequencing, editing concerns, and release

The arrangement of the songs on The Beatles follows patterns and establishes symmetries that have been much analyzed over the years. For example, "Wild Honey Pie" is the fifth song from the beginning of the album and "Honey Pie" is the fifth song from the end. Also, three of the four songs containing animal names in their titles ("Blackbird", "Piggies", and "Rocky Raccoon") are grouped together. In a similar fashion, "Honey Pie" and "Savoy Truffle" (both referring to types of desserts) play back to back towards the end of the album. "Savoy Truffle", the fourth song from the end, contains a reference to "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da," the fourth song from the beginning. In addition, the album's four Harrison compositions are distributed evenly, with one appearing on each of the four sides. Each LP's first track is a McCartney composition marking a return to traditional rock n' roll ("Back in the USSR" and "Birthday"). Each LP concludes with a Lennon composition built around themes of childhood and innocence. ("Julia" and "Good Night.") Even the number of tracks per side correspond to the number of letters in each of the Beatles' names, with Side 1 for Harrison, Side 2 for McCartney, Side 3 for Starkey, and Side 4 for Lennon.

#12 M_Rots

M_Rots

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4277 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 12:57 PM

Cut it down to one record, issue it in blank, solid black sleeve/case, with a sticker on the shrinkwrap stating, "ALL NEW BEATLES RECORD!" No one who buys it willl have a fucking clue. Because you'd have to be a chest-drooling moron to want something like this. No "Martha My Dear", "Don't Pass Me By", "Savoy Truffle"? Ridiculousness without end.

#13 Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9457 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 12:58 PM

Back in the U.S.S.R.

Beatles

HOLY SH
Aren't there any girls out their who like good music? I need to and want to meet them. My favorite bands are Overkill River, The Nife, Songs:Ohio, and Nuetral Milk Hotel. Please let me know if your into indy music and like to go to show's and drink beer's and makeout.

#14 Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9457 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 12:59 PM

Birthday - 2:42

george's birthday was FEBRUARY

#15 pong

pong

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9208 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 01:14 PM

I say screw Revolution #9 all the way. But, it was revolutionary.

#16 Sid Hartha

Sid Hartha

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4401 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 01:21 PM

I can't imagine the White Album without "Revolution 9". All of side four is creepy and haunted, just by having that track on there.

#17 Agrimorfee

Agrimorfee

Too nice for his own good

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13306 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 02:26 PM

I can't imagine the White Album without "Revolution 9". All of side four is creepy and haunted, just by having that track on there.

I was extremely disappointed the last time 'XRT had a A to Z Beatles weekend and they didn't even play more than 15 seconds worth before they shut it off and played the next tume...:( (granted, there are some FCC-unfriendly words floating in and out of it if one pays close attention)

"Is everyone on here just an act sometimes?"--Hummingbird

Read all of my stupid song parodies here. Latest song improved/ruined: "No More Mr. Nice Guy" by Alice Cooper.

Download all of my alleged music free through the remainder of May at www.soundclick.com/agrimorfee

Also jabbering about music and movies at www.rateyourmusic.com

#18 M_Rots

M_Rots

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4277 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 02:45 PM

I was extremely disappointed the last time 'XRT had a A to Z Beatles weekend and they didn't even play more than 15 seconds worth before they shut it off and played the next tume...:( (granted, there are some FCC-unfriendly words floating in and out of it if one pays close attention)

Hell of it is, most rock fans don't pay atention, but Focus on the Family and the American Family Association pay people to listen to rock radio and listen for words, then write the FCC.

#19 Sid Hartha

Sid Hartha

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4401 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 03:08 PM

that's news to me - what words?

#20 Rob Gordon

Rob Gordon

sha la la, man

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8663 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 03:10 PM

that's news to me - what words?

me too
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image