8 replies to this topic

#1 Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ

Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9457 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 11:05 PM

I used to read the guy a lot, great website full of great reviews. Turned me onto some of my current favorites too (Dump, Bruce Sprinsgteen, Fapardokly), all while maintaining that distinct brand of 'bathroom humor' we've come to know and love. Some people never grow up! :D

He can be a bit of a sniveling cunt sometimes, like when he criticizes his old review writing style a bit too often (we all make mistakes, Mark... tell me about it...) but when he's not being too, uh, "foul," the guy's a real riot.

Great quotes:

from the Richard Hell review page - "As such, buy it only if you already have the first one and you're desperately hungry for more Hell."

from the Helmet reviews - "Get your eyes out of your ass, asseye!" :P

from Jimi Hendrix - "So far this review is totally kicking ass." (look for something like that in the next Ebert review)

I'm just rambling on, though, time for you guys to weigh in. Any other fans? Hopefully some new converts too?
Aren't there any girls out their who like good music? I need to and want to meet them. My favorite bands are Overkill River, The Nife, Songs:Ohio, and Nuetral Milk Hotel. Please let me know if your into indy music and like to go to show's and drink beer's and makeout.

#2 Holiday in Risk

Holiday in Risk

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1147 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 11:06 PM

Prindle has some good observations, but fails to understand jazz, which is a shame. I also love Henry The Dog.
what a fine day for a parade

#3 Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ

Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9457 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 11:11 PM

...oh, duh, before I forget: www.markprindle.com I swear I'm losing my mind sometimes... I'm not John McCain, I promise :rolleyes:
Aren't there any girls out their who like good music? I need to and want to meet them. My favorite bands are Overkill River, The Nife, Songs:Ohio, and Nuetral Milk Hotel. Please let me know if your into indy music and like to go to show's and drink beer's and makeout.

#4 Pavement Ist Rad

Pavement Ist Rad

What would the Melvins say?

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13222 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 11:18 PM

If I were to properly discuss the impact that this man's writing style and music taste have had on my life, it would go to essay proportions.

Instead, I'll just quote the end of his Beach Boys - Concert review:

"And finally Point A: Every member gets a vocal solo! Dennis does 'The Wanderer'! Brian does 'In My Room'! Al doesn't do one and neither does Carl!

I admit that last argument wasn't as strong as the others."
Posted Image

Damo Suzuki: So, um, yeah. Getting older isn't as bad as it sounds. Better than being young & poor (DjDrake) or young & slutty (SG) or young, poor and slutty (Paves); am I right?

Alright, my friends. It's time for another solid little rock jam

#5 Holiday in Risk

Holiday in Risk

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1147 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 12:40 AM

Which reminds me of a hilarious joke I made up earlier today. This dumbass piece of shit woman at the dog run has two dogs that she named (I'm gonna gag just writing this) "Music" and "Major." And she just keeps calling them - "Music!" "Major!" So as we were leaving, my lovely wife said to me, "That's so pathetic. You know she just did that so people would walk up to her and say, "Oh! Were you a music major?" To which I hilariously replied, "I know! I'm gonna buy two dogs and name them '12 Inches' and `When Flaccid'!" H ahhww! DH!!! AHHH! EH!!!!

Prindle's biggest impact on me was awareness of the Thinking Fellers Union Local #282.
what a fine day for a parade

#6 Pavement Ist Rad

Pavement Ist Rad

What would the Melvins say?

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13222 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 01:41 AM

Dude, that's one of the greatest Prindle quotes ever. And he turned me onto the Fellers, too. One of my favorite bands. 100% awesome post.

You know what's a great Frank Zappa song? "What's The Ugliest Part Of Your Body?" I couldn't believe it when the answer turned out to be "Your Mind!" I was TOTALLY rooting for "Inside Your Poopy Smelly Hairy Ass!"

Luckily, Elton John later released a love ballad with that title.

Posted Image

Damo Suzuki: So, um, yeah. Getting older isn't as bad as it sounds. Better than being young & poor (DjDrake) or young & slutty (SG) or young, poor and slutty (Paves); am I right?

Alright, my friends. It's time for another solid little rock jam

#7 demoncleaner

demoncleaner

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 04:32 AM

Prindle is a fantastic music writer. Lot's of great interviews as well. It helped that the music he was writing about was the music I was into at the time.

The review that got me into reading him:

Ultramega OK - SST 1988.
Rating = 7/10

Hey, it's a post-hardcore Led Zeppelin! Cock rox galore, cock rox galore, a hundred thousand cock rox knockin' at my door. Some funky tutelage, lots of bluesmerizin' wailin' and scraggledy-daggledy hard rock guitar tones and riffs that at times sound completely stolen from Mr. Jimmy Page (former lead guitarist of The Yardbirds, Led Zeppelin, The Firm, Coverdale/Page and Page/Plant, as well as Grammy-award winning composer of the legendary Death Wish II soundtrack) even though they weren't. I know early Sub Pop scene hipsters would be loathe to admit it, but if you placed this album side by side with the top hits of the day by Whitesnake, White Lion, White Tiger, Great White, White Leppard, White Come, Whiteinger, Whitearrant and the Bullet Whites, there's only one single solitary difference. That one single solitary difference is that this one had indie label production, no ballads, a couple of hardcore-speed songs, no marketing dollars behind it and several really good straightforward hard rock riffs. But aside from that sole single solitary difference, the Zep metal and Plant wailin' on Ultramega OK make it clear that this band belonged on a major label, not this SST college faux-baux-haux bullshit. And I don't care what the critics say -- there was NOTHING "ironic" about Soundgarden at any point in their career. As far as I can tell, in fact, they had no sense of humor about themselves or anything else at all. They were a heavy rock band - PERIOD.

And by "PERIOD," I am indeed implying that Chris Cornell looks and smells like a bloody vagina.

Which reminds me - I have a great new idea. From now on I'm going to collect all my human waste in little baggies and sell them on ebay as "Madonna's poop" for hundreds and thousands of dollars apiece. Do you like it? Will you endorse me on your television program?

#8 Ted Falconi

Ted Falconi

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1562 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 09:47 AM

When I commented on his most recent Heroine Sheiks review (I said the vocals on "Let Me Out" sounded like an Al Johnson impression), I received a rebuttal from Shannon Selberg himself! B)

#9 demoncleaner

demoncleaner

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 03:15 PM

So, Prindle is on Fox News now. I did not know this.

http://www.foxnews.c...tm?pageid=23051

He's even more prettier than I imagined!