47 replies to this topic

#41 Bleep Blop

Bleep Blop

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3515 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 01:31 AM

The last two songs before the encore destroyed me. That shit was grrreat. My friend, however, remains unconverted. Oh well. Anyone see the dude up towards the front that looked like he was on shrooms freaking out for most of the set?

#42 cerebralcaustic

cerebralcaustic

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3279 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 07:27 AM

Anyone see the dude up towards the front that looked like he was on shrooms freaking out for most of the set?

Did he have spiky hair and spend the entire set spinning around bumping into everyone around him? If so, I saw (and stood next to) that guy when Spiritualized played The Vic a few years ago.

#43 Wolfgang

Wolfgang

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3427 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 07:37 AM

Good show. Those new songs ("Sweet Talk" and "Soul On Fire" to be specific) didn't translate as well as I hoped they would. Opening up with "Amazing Grace" was apt and yeah the jams from Ladies and Gentlemen... were absolute monsters. Is he usually that stoic on stage? We didn't get one word from him till the end of the show, and that was a simple "thank you."

Caught most of Grand Ole Party, good band. I heard a lot of Zeppelin in them, which ain't a bad thing, jus sayin'. I'll have to seek out some of their stuff, any recommendations on where to start?

its like a group of nerds just get together to self indulge their self, just like sound opinions message board.

#44 partlycloudy

partlycloudy

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 08:29 AM

Good show. Those new songs ("Sweet Talk" and "Soul On Fire" to be specific) didn't translate as well as I hoped they would. Opening up with "Amazing Grace" was apt and yeah the jams from Ladies and Gentlemen... were absolute monsters. Is he usually that stoic on stage? We didn't get one word from him till the end of the show, and that was a simple "thank you."

Caught most of Grand Ole Party, good band. I heard a lot of Zeppelin in them, which ain't a bad thing, jus sayin'. I'll have to seek out some of their stuff, any recommendations on where to start?

They only have the one studio album, Humanimals.

#45 Bleep Blop

Bleep Blop

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3515 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 09:52 AM

Anyone see the dude up towards the front that looked like he was on shrooms freaking out for most of the set?

Did he have spiky hair and spend the entire set spinning around bumping into everyone around him? If so, I saw (and stood next to) that guy when Spiritualized played The Vic a few years ago.

Dunno about the spiky hair, but yeah, pretty much did that the whole time it seemed like. Short little dude, looked like around 5-5, but I suppose that doesn't matter when your arms are up and moving every which way the entire time.

I have a crush on the singer/drummer from Grand Ole Party. I liked how she pretty much didn't inhale at all during any song,so she just used song breaks to catch her breath--actually a pretty good voice, too. They were very clean sounding and together for an opening act- their mix suffered a bit, but they were fun to watch.

#46 Waterloo

Waterloo

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1195 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 09:52 AM

Is he usually that stoic on stage? We didn't get one word from him till the end of the show, and that was a simple "thank you."

pretty much

#47 suckeredyou

suckeredyou

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 09:58 AM

Yeah, couple song stretch right before the encore was amazing. I thought "Soul On Fire" lacked a little something as well, but those singers he had with him were a great touch. "You Lie You Cheat" worked best for me out of the new songs.

#48 partlycloudy

partlycloudy

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 12:42 PM

Wow was that ever a great show. Probably one of the best shows I've been to, ever. The sound at First Avenue is fantastic. FWIW, the openers Grand Ole Party stayed over last night, and they told me that Jason Pierce said the Milwaukee show was one of the best shows of his career. I'd love to hear about it if anyone was there.