47 replies to this topic

#1 Mitchell

Mitchell

dirty old man

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20691 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 08:16 AM

How will it be remembered? How will you remember it?
Nice bowl of Crunchy Nut you got here, pretty expensive as I recall.

#2 M_Rots

M_Rots

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4277 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 08:19 AM

Not to be melodramatic, but the first thing that occurs is I will remember it as the decade when America finally ate itself.

#3 birdistheword

birdistheword

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2258 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 08:51 AM

Not to be melodramatic, but the first thing that occurs is I will remember it as the decade when America finally ate itself.

So much it may have fucked us for the next decade.

#4 M_Rots

M_Rots

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4277 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 08:59 AM

So much it may have fucked us for the next decade.

Exactly - the damage we've done to our international reputation/goodwill will take a long time to repair.

#5 cerebralcaustic

cerebralcaustic

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3279 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 09:26 AM

Yeah, 9/11 and the shitstorm that's followed it is clearly what the decade will be remembered for. Pop culture wise, the internet I guess.

#6 demoncleaner

demoncleaner

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 10:07 AM

Exactly - the damage we've done to our international reputation/goodwill will take a long time to repair.

Honestly, the world isn't that naive. All the damage caused is attached to the Bush Administration.

The fact that America is throwing the Bush Admin out on its ear demonstrates enough to the world.

If we may generalise like that.

#7 Rob Gordon

Rob Gordon

sha la la, man

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8663 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 10:27 AM

Honestly, the world isn't that naive. All the damage caused is attached to the Bush Administration.

The fact that America is throwing the Bush Admin out on its ear demonstrates enough to the world.

If we may generalise like that.

Unfortunately we're not throwing them out on their ear. Just his term is up. And the current election is too close to say such a thing.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#8 undo

undo

future thug

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8963 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 10:31 AM

This is certainly the dumbest decade of my life so far. In hindsight, nearly everything about the 90s -- television, pop culture, politics in America and abroad, the general IQ of the average person -- seemed much smarter. Maybe everyone feels this way in hindsight about the decade they happened to spend their most formative years in? I don't know.

#9 WesterMats

WesterMats

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3046 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 10:38 AM

So long 2000's -- we hardly knew ya.
"I forgot my one line, so I just said what I felt"
--Paul Westerberg

Posted Image

#10 demoncleaner

demoncleaner

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 10:43 AM

Unfortunately we're not throwing them out on their ear. Just his term is up. And the current election is too close to say such a thing.

That's only if you believe that democrat horseshit that McCain equals another term of the Bush admin. Anyway, the probable outcome is that Obama will be the next president.

Bush's approval ratings say all they need to.

#11 Hero

Hero

Wildcard

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8995 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 11:20 AM

it's no Q that bush isn't a great president, but srsly u guys... don't let him consume yr thoughts and be the only thing you think of this decade
"the ladies have been checking me out lately.... could it be the 10 push-ups i've been cranking out every other Sunday? - Perhaps!" -Scrubs

Some people are a lot like slinkys... kinda useless, not really good for anything -but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs

Posted Image

"After much thought into this, I have finally come to a conclusion as to why the ‘Meet the Spartans’ commercial is so funny:

It is an interesting choice to have Sanjaya sing ‘I’m not gay,’ as his final words on earth. As he is plummeting into a seemingly bottomless pit, he does not say ‘dear god no,’ ‘I love you mom,’ or even simply ‘argh.’ He instead takes the moment to reaffirm to the world, in spite of their doubts, that he is not a homosexual. Not only that, but he continues to sing, despite falling to his certain death. The distinct lack of plausibility of this situation is what produces giggles from our mouth. It is the antithesis to the belief that ‘it’s funny because it is true.’
"

#12 undo

undo

future thug

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8963 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 11:25 AM

I contributed some really interesting thoughts to this thread a few posts ago.

#13 Badger

Badger

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1155 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 12:53 PM

It was the decade in which grammar finally died.

#14 cerebralcaustic

cerebralcaustic

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3279 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 01:43 PM

Pop culture wise, the internet I guess.

#15 Bleep Blop

Bleep Blop

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3515 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 02:11 PM

Rx pills, kids and adults slowly lose their attention span, hurricanes, tsunamis, The Neptunes, the internet and the death of the music industry, Bush, Obama, blogs and the death of journalism, etc.

#16 velocity

velocity

Chanel No. ♪♫

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10088 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 02:28 PM

Hm...the decade I went solo, realized that everyone's getting older, and became resigned to the fact that dumbing down the populace is an increasingly acceptable means to an end.

Empathy too.

#17 theremin

theremin

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6371 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 02:40 PM

from the thread title, I thought this was going to be about the end of the decade poll.

#18 Damo Suzuki

Damo Suzuki

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3715 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 04:31 PM

The 90s were clearly superior to the aughts. Everything peaked in the 90s- it was true realization of the 80s (awesome in their own right).
"One can't love man without hating most of the creatures who pretend to bear his name."

#19 sKinnY

sKinnY

Maître D'

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9439 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 04:44 PM

The Age of Talentless Pseudo Celebrity

"what kind of moe cop doesn't give her the old suck on my balls warning?

"Posted Image

#20 Bleep Blop

Bleep Blop

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3515 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 04:53 PM

The Age of Talentless Pseudo Celebrity

The age of having the above mentioned talentless pseudo celebrities' vags plastered all over the internets.