Photo

What's your favorite reason Palin is a horrible nominee?

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

Poll: Palinpalooza

What's the best thing about Palin?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 scarymuppet

scarymuppet

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4178 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 09:58 AM

Oh Palin, you're such a bad candidate. Thanks for sewing this thing up for Obama. He's up 8 points today.
BAN ME IF I TALK TO MONTANA

#2 elcorazon

elcorazon

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5647 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 10:06 AM

wow, you left out the creationism, censorship, abstinence and the lack of support for polar bears being treated as an endangered species, which are a few of my favorites. I hope she gets pregnant again though. I'm still not sure she knows what causes that.
Sail Away: The Songs of Randy Newman -7.5/10
Dusty Springfield - Dusty in Memphis 8.5/10
Buddy & Julie Miller - Written in Chalk wow, first listen, but great great record! 9.3/10
Justin Townes Earle - Midnight at the Moviessurprisingly great, never picked up his past releases, but this one's knocking my socks off right away, 8.7/10
M. Ward - Hold Time 8.0/10
Neko Case -Middle Cyclone her best I've heard is my initial impression, but too soon to rate, haven't had a really good listen yet 7.8/10

#3 b17yoe

b17yoe

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1615 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 10:12 AM

Hard to choose between the Secessionist Party and not knowing what the VP does. Tough choice.

I hope she gets pregnant again though.

I bet you do.
Whatever.

#4 scarymuppet

scarymuppet

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4178 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 10:18 AM

wow, you left out the creationism, censorship, abstinence and the lack of support for polar bears being treated as an endangered species, which are a few of my favorites.

Well, those are expected. These are more of the surprises.
BAN ME IF I TALK TO MONTANA

#5 Finn McCool

Finn McCool

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8081 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 10:23 AM

Best be careful now. Smugness and dismissive outrage are precisely what GOP campaign architects are praying for to shape this into something that'll somehow pick up speed & steam as a widely appealing"feel good"/sympathy story. Crafty bastards. They've put a simpleton in the White House twice on top of the ticket - Palin's baggage as a VP candidate is easier to gussy up.
Until the sky turns green, the grass is several shades of blue, every member of Parliament trips on glue...

#6 M_Rots

M_Rots

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4277 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 10:26 AM

Poll needs an all of the above category.

#7 ryan

ryan

God of Goldens!

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4895 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 10:36 AM

That 'I'm not sure what a VP does' quote is pretty damning and should make it into a few ads, so I'm going with that.

#8 Bleep Blop

Bleep Blop

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3515 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 10:38 AM

Well, my favorite thing about her is her unwed teenage daughter. But my favorite reason she's a bad candidate is the fact that shes in the middle of "troopergate" right now. Who picks a candidate who is in the middle of a huge fucking scandal that has yet to be resolved? I mean, I'm sure lots of people do, but how fucking stupid! And lol..creationism. If I had a kid, I'd be so pissed if someone tried to teach them that garbage in school.

#9 Duff.

Duff.

I'm a monsta, I'm a killa.

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5890 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 10:49 AM

Having trouble finding "Because I can't take young attractive women seriously."

No, it'll be stupid, and we're already doing something stupid.
murderfbanner.gif

#10 theremin

theremin

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6371 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 10:53 AM

:blink:

#11 M_Rots

M_Rots

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4277 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 10:54 AM

Best be careful now. Smugness and dismissive outrage are precisely what GOP campaign architects are praying for to shape this into something that'll somehow pick up speed & steam as a widely appealing"feel good"/sympathy story. Crafty bastards. They've put a simpleton in the White House twice on top of the ticket - Palin's baggage as a VP candidate is easier to gussy up.

Um... sorta. I share your caution to an extent, but this is how it seems to me: The smugness backlash will have to energize enough of the base to dwarf the Hillary-supporter bloc. I don't think that segment of the GOP base to which Palin is meant as a sop will be troubled even by her secessionist views - this is a group whose patriotic ardor cools consideraby when there isn't a country to invade, a President to elect or a liberal to bully. They love America when their investments are protected, but talk to them about common cause with all Americans and being part of the team by investing in education and health care reform and they cry "Commie" and send jobs overseas for the good of their stock portfolio.

Palin is an attempt to lure disillusioned Hillary voters, and she couldn't be more at odds with that group's core values. If they're going to construe the smugness as some kind of an attack on their feminine values, they're going to have to find empathy for a woman who seems as cynical a choice as electoral politics can produce , and that will be a hard thing to manage.

Being smug and dismissive is rarely a good strategy, I agree, but why wouldn't the bloc to whom this candidate is meant to appeal share that outrage?

After all, this pick sends one hell of a message to the disaffected Hillary voter: That McCain thinks so much of their vote that he went out and found a woman with virtually no experience, with secessionist views, with extremist religious values, who doesn't support any of their causes. If I were a woman or a Hillary fan, I would be so disgusted with McCain right now I'd vote for Obama twice.

And McCain is stuck, now. He has to continue to defend her. If he tries to dump her from the ticket, he's done. The swing votes he's looking for will flip him the collective bird and go elsewhere, and even his supporters will have to pause and think again. it seems to me the GOP will have to craft one whopper of a sympathy story to get anyone to see beyond what the "experienced" candidate did in pursuit of his goal - namely, abandoned all that experience and grabbed the first weak-sister option he thought served his purpose.

Hard to believe a VP choice can sway the whole election, though. I'd say there are a number of other hurdles to clear, but this can only be a good thing for the Dems, even if they play it only half-right.

#12 Duff.

Duff.

I'm a monsta, I'm a killa.

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5890 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 10:56 AM

Obviously relative to the realm of presidential politics.

No, it'll be stupid, and we're already doing something stupid.
murderfbanner.gif

#13 54cermak

54cermak

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3007 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 11:00 AM

True, but she is a grandmother after all.

#14 Agrimorfee

Agrimorfee

Too nice for his own good

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13311 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 11:13 AM

Hard to believe a VP choice can sway the whole election, though.

Why, oh why, couldn't that have happened in 1988? :(
Posted Image

"Is everyone on here just an act sometimes?"--Hummingbird

Read all of my stupid song parodies here. Latest song improved/ruined: "No More Mr. Nice Guy" by Alice Cooper.

Download all of my alleged music free through the remainder of May at www.soundclick.com/agrimorfee

Also jabbering about music and movies at www.rateyourmusic.com

#15 Agrimorfee

Agrimorfee

Too nice for his own good

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13311 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 11:15 AM

wow, you left out the creationism, censorship, abstinence and the lack of support for polar bears being treated as an endangered species, which are a few of my favorites.

Good to know, those sway me towards disliking her. Thanks. B)

"Is everyone on here just an act sometimes?"--Hummingbird

Read all of my stupid song parodies here. Latest song improved/ruined: "No More Mr. Nice Guy" by Alice Cooper.

Download all of my alleged music free through the remainder of May at www.soundclick.com/agrimorfee

Also jabbering about music and movies at www.rateyourmusic.com

#16 Petition

Petition

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 11:19 AM

All of the above. She is a disgrace to the electoral process, if such a thing exists, she is it.
"Come on people now, smile on your brother, everybody get together, try to love one another right now....right now....Jesse Colin Young (Youngbloods). "Sugar, Sugar, honey, honey....you are my candygirl and you got me wantin' you.....*

#17 Petition

Petition

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 11:21 AM

One man's meat is another man's poison. Looks are relative, and beauty is only skin deep, but ugly runs right to the bone.
"Come on people now, smile on your brother, everybody get together, try to love one another right now....right now....Jesse Colin Young (Youngbloods). "Sugar, Sugar, honey, honey....you are my candygirl and you got me wantin' you.....*

#18 pong

pong

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9208 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 12:25 PM

And lol..creationism. If I had a kid, I'd be so pissed if someone tried to teach them that garbage in school.

When I went back and read the book of Genesis again after this topic came up, I found that it's pretty funny to call it creationism at all. Even if you decided, "I believe in Creationism", and someone said, "OK: let's debate it then." If all you had were the allegorical stories of the ancient Hebrews to go off of: you wouldn't really have much solid ground to stand on in your debate.

#19 M_Rots

M_Rots

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4277 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 12:33 PM

And lol..creationism. If I had a kid, I'd be so pissed if someone tried to teach them that garbage in school.

When I went back and read the book of Genesis again after this topic came up, I found that it's pretty funny to call it creationism at all. Even if you decided, "I believe in Creationism", and someone said, "OK: let's debate it then." If all you had were the allegorical stories of the ancient Hebrews to go off of: you wouldn't really have much solid ground to stand on in your debate.

Which is where that abomination called Intelligent Design comes in - a whole pseudoscientific theory to "prove" Creation.

I thought proof denied faith.

#20 pong

pong

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9208 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 12:36 PM

Which is where that abomination called Intelligent Design comes in - a whole pseudoscientific theory to "prove" Creation.

I thought proof denied faith.

Well, you can kind of take anything you want out of Genesis. But, when you start getting into people living 900 years, talking snakes, mystical magical trees, and angels brandishing flaming swords: you lose a little footing unless you are in "ancient stories 101" or something.

And, I guess I just don't understand why people don't take that a little bit more to task.