• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 Petition

Petition

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 11:28 AM

On the whole, I did like the speech that Obama made at the DNC. I still have reservations regarding Obama's religious affiliations, Obama's wife's remarks about "being proud of the USA for the first time in her life" and Obama's true feelings about Israel's right to exist. I am sure that many other voters are wondering the same and that this may cause a last minute change of heart. Michelle Obama is a "loose cannon" at best. Does anyone have reliable information about this? I know that the word "reliable" isn't an easy thing to ferret out, but I will be looking into this more myself, as time goes by.
"Come on people now, smile on your brother, everybody get together, try to love one another right now....right now....Jesse Colin Young (Youngbloods). "Sugar, Sugar, honey, honey....you are my candygirl and you got me wantin' you.....*

#2 Guest_NumberTenOx_*

Guest_NumberTenOx_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2008 - 11:30 AM

Reliable how? That she won't just go batshit and fire off a bazooka at McCain? You want a guarantee?

#3 Duff.

Duff.

I'm a monsta, I'm a killa.

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5892 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 11:33 AM

These are "gotcha" talking points, not actual issues.

No, it'll be stupid, and we're already doing something stupid.
murderfbanner.gif

#4 Petition

Petition

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 11:38 AM

They are as valid "gotcha" points as those brought up on the Republican's ticket, i.e, Palin and her fitness or lack thereof, to serve and McCain and his being another 4 years of the Bush years, for instance. I won't give either party a free-pass on any issues.
"Come on people now, smile on your brother, everybody get together, try to love one another right now....right now....Jesse Colin Young (Youngbloods). "Sugar, Sugar, honey, honey....you are my candygirl and you got me wantin' you.....*

#5 Duff.

Duff.

I'm a monsta, I'm a killa.

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5892 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 11:41 AM

On most of those issues I'd agree they're just as valid, which is to say not at all.

No, it'll be stupid, and we're already doing something stupid.
murderfbanner.gif

#6 The Real Guest

The Real Guest

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 11:43 AM

On the whole, I did like the speech that Obama made at the DNC. I still have reservations regarding Obama's religious affiliations, Obama's wife's remarks about "being proud of the USA for the first time in her life" and Obama's true feelings about Israel's right to exist. I am sure that many other voters are wondering the same and that this may cause a last minute change of heart. Michelle Obama is a "loose cannon" at best.

Does anyone have reliable information about this? I know that the word "reliable" isn't an easy thing to ferret out, but I will be looking into this more myself, as time goes by.

SHUT THE FUCK UP YOU MOTHERFUCKING BITCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#7 brobee

brobee

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1981 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 11:46 AM

they matter to a degree, but when it comes to religion and politics (foreign policy, especially) things are already so muddled that there's no pot of gold at the end of the rainbow for either party. everyone knows someone shady. everyone has feelings that if acted upon could prove scary. most people won't act upon them. and luckily, as long as palin's on the ticket, rev. wright and michelle obama look more like average mainland americans. to be specific: an angry black pastor who still sees racism everywhere, or a dominionist gun nut who wants (or wanted at some past point) to secede from the united states? i mean, racism is still relatively prevalent, and katrina wasn't long enough ago for us to outright deny that. but these people of such a nearly cult-like end of days compound fervor? no matter how white and attractive her and her family might be, they're still going to terrify enough people in ways wright or michelle o never could.

#8 held

held

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3549 posts

I don't know what your reservations are in regards to exactly. Just cause a preacher makes some inflammatory remarks doesn't mean every person in the choir is guilty by association. It wasn't new territory and while it sounds devisive material in soundbites. It's not playing into what Obama's offering. I have a copy of Mrs Obama's sociological thesis although I'm not going overboard as to suspecting her of carrying on in some bizarre racial divisivness based on a paper she wrote 23 years ago either. My only dissatifaction is driven by a sense of his general rhetoric over substance. Obama did little to nothing to 'change' his community at large and little to none that could be directed as anything actually pertaining to 'change' during his term in his senate seat. His poltical character is just that: politcal. I have yet to get how picking Biden is a good thing. I have yet to understand what it is he's suggesting is going to be 'new' when everything about the DNC spells out 'business as usual'. Whoever gets the hot seat is going to be dragged into the worst fiscal disaster we've ever had and a hotbed of international distrust. No matter who gets the job. No one is going to actually like what happens next and at this moment I care very little for what either team is offering. btw. cheney just stated we're giving 1 billion to Georgia and the other russian neighbors... cause we've got so much sitting around. talk about streching it thin.
There is nothing more depressing than trying to appear happy when you are not."
- Nick Cave

#9 Binko

Binko

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2272 posts

I still have reservations regarding Obama's religious affiliations

Why? There's very little that I have seen that would have me question his Christianity. Not that I even care about that point; I'd just as soon elect a Muslim for president given the right qualifications. Regardless, I've never seen any reliable piece of information indicating that he is anything but a Christian.

Obama's wife's remarks about "being proud of the USA for the first time in her life"

It was first time in her adult life. Especially given the point she was trying to make, I don't find that statement particularly shocking or extreme. Politically, she could have phrased it better, more positive, as in "I have never been more proud of my country than I am today," but same difference.

#10 brobee

brobee

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1981 posts

On the whole, I did like the speech that Obama made at the DNC. I still have reservations regarding Obama's religious affiliations, Obama's wife's remarks about "being proud of the USA for the first time in her life" and Obama's true feelings about Israel's right to exist. I am sure that many other voters are wondering the same and that this may cause a last minute change of heart. Michelle Obama is a "loose cannon" at best.

Does anyone have reliable information about this? I know that the word "reliable" isn't an easy thing to ferret out, but I will be looking into this more myself, as time goes by.

SHUT THE FUCK UP YOU MOTHERFUCKING BITCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wow.

#11 Petition

Petition

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 12:14 PM

Indeed, business as usual.....I know that we have a limited selection at this restaurant in our two party system which brings me to the question ......what shall you order? Shit or vomit? Will you have a side dish of mud-slinging? How about our soup du jour? Lies and obfuscation, thank you. Thanks, I will order a nice plate of vomit!!!!

#12 Nick

Nick

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6011 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 12:15 PM

The idea that people will complain to the board Moderators about certain participants & at the same time accept people like Petition is a prime example of why several of you should walk in front of a moving bus.

#13 Petition

Petition

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 12:16 PM

I still have reservations regarding Obama's religious affiliations

Why? There's very little that I have seen that would have me question his Christianity. Not that I even care about that point; I'd just as soon elect a Muslim for president given the right qualifications. Regardless, I've never seen any reliable piece of information indicating that he is anything but a Christian.

Obama's wife's remarks about "being proud of the USA for the first time in her life"

It was first time in her adult life. Especially given the point she was trying to make, I don't find that statement particularly shocking or extreme. Politically, she could have phrased it better, more positive, as in "I have never been more proud of my country than I am today," but same difference.

Well, who would care what she thought when she was say, 6 years old. I think that splitting hairs and fighting over semantics is useless. Of course, she meant it as an adult and that was exactly the way it was taken.

#14 Petition

Petition

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 12:19 PM

I don't know what your reservations are in regards to exactly. Just cause a preacher makes some inflammatory remarks doesn't mean every person in the choir is guilty by association. It wasn't new territory and while it sounds devisive material in soundbites. It's not playing into what Obama's offering.

I have a copy of Mrs Obama's sociological thesis although I'm not going overboard as to suspecting her of carrying on in some bizarre racial divisivness based on a paper she wrote 23 years ago either.

My only dissatifaction is driven by a sense of his general rhetoric over substance. Obama did little to nothing to 'change' his community at large and little to none that could be directed as anything actually pertaining to 'change' during his term in his senate seat. His poltical character is just that: politcal. I have yet to get how picking Biden is a good thing. I have yet to understand what it is he's suggesting is going to be 'new' when everything about the DNC spells out 'business as usual'. Whoever gets the hot seat is going to be dragged into the worst fiscal disaster we've ever had and a hotbed of international distrust. No matter who gets the job. No one is going to actually like what happens next and at this moment I care very little for what either team is offering.

btw. cheney just stated we're giving 1 billion to Georgia and the other russian neighbors... cause we've got so much sitting around. talk about streching it thin.

Either party is going to find it hard to turn this Titianic of a Military-Industrial-Complex around in time to avoid hitting the iceberg and totally bankrupting the USA in a way that our old/new/old/new friends/enemies, the Soviets were dealt.

#15 cerebralcaustic

cerebralcaustic

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3279 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 12:22 PM

Obama's true feelings about Israel's right to exist.

What does this mean? I don't think anyone outside of radical Muslims deny that Israel should exist.

#16 Binko

Binko

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2272 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 12:29 PM

Well, who would care what she thought when she was say, 6 years old. I think that splitting hairs and fighting over semantics is useless. Of course, she meant it as an adult and that was exactly the way it was taken.

Thing is, I understand her sentiment, it's just that her phrasing was particularly politically idiotic. Seeing America accept a black (or half-black) man as a viable presidential candidate did give me a glimmer of pride in my country, and it's the first time I've felt anything approaching pride in my country as an adult. Then again, I'm not prone to patriotism and being proud of something that is essentially a roll of destiny's dice doesn't make any sense to me. Others will, and do, disagree. I'm not proud to be an American. I'm proud to be who I am. I appreciate America and its opportunities, for sure. I like the way things are done here, for the most part. However, it's not the only viable place for me. I'd be happy to live and die in any of a number of countries. It just happens that I was born here.

#17 54cermak

54cermak

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3007 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 12:32 PM

Laura Bush even defended Michelle Obama on this one. It was clumsily worded, but everyone knew what she meant.

Her convention speech was supposed to erase any lingering doubt and by all accounts from left and right it did.

Nick's right, who is this troll?

#18 Petition

Petition

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 12:37 PM

Well, Obama's "dumping" of a 20 year old friendship (Rev. Wright) in order to make his election to the presidency viable is as suspicious as Palin's openly abandoning the needs of the family that she says she loves so much and holds so dear, in order to get elected to the vice-presidency, and are both as transparent as they are reprehensible. Maybe Obama should have married a more "palatable woman to the electorate" than Michelle.....and maybe Palin should have either stayed single or waited about twenty years before seeking a higher public office? Monday morning quarterbacking is just that. Character flaws are what they are and they are visible in both candidates as they claw their way through their glass ceilings. Right now, a ticket with Biden/McCain would be preferable to the odd-pairings of Obama/Palin, both of whom, methinks, have ulterior motives than just "serving their country". Palin and Obama have equal and disconcerting baggage, take your pick.

#19 brobee

brobee

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1981 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 12:37 PM

Laura Bush even defended Michelle Obama on this one. It was clumsily worded, but everyone knew what she meant.

Her convention speech was supposed to erase any lingering doubt and by all accounts from left and right it did.

petition's wrongheaded here, but she's done some good posting in the other '08 political threads. we have better, we have worse. try not to get your boxers in a bunch.

#20 Petition

Petition

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 12:39 PM

Laura Bush always plays "nice". She is an old hand at politics. She could have said nothing, but uses every opportunity possible to make a positive grandstand for the Republicans. Laura Bush is an opportunist and Republicans are better at playing this game than the Dems.