71 replies to this topic

#1 Jess

Jess

Mistress of the bored

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5724 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 12:33 PM

Is it even possible for any self-respecting woman to like rap music? I mean, maybe I'm just stating the obvious but hip-hop(or whatever you kids call it nowadays) is inherently sexist, right?

#2 TJENZ

TJENZ

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10508 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 12:35 PM

what's wrong with sexy?

2008-01-15-coopdevil01_lg.jpg

#3 Henrietta

Henrietta

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1591 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 12:35 PM

Well, "inherently" would mean there's something sexist about rhyming over beats, since that's what rap is. There is a lot of sexism in rap, but there's also a lot of it in rock. Or in all things, really.

#4 undo

undo

future thug

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8960 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 12:37 PM

lock thread

#5 Jess

Jess

Mistress of the bored

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5724 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 12:38 PM

Well, "inherently" would mean there's something sexist about rhyming over beats, since that's what rap is. There is a lot of sexism in rap, but there's also a lot of it in rock. Or in all things, really.

ok, no. i mean, yes rock music objectifies women also but come on, rap has just taken it to another level

lock thread

ok, fucker, thanks

#6 Henrietta

Henrietta

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1591 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 12:44 PM

ok, no. i mean, yes rock music objectifies women also but come on, rap has just taken it to another level

Dave Chappelle says about racism, "Traveling has made me a racism connoisseur, if you will... Anyone ever been down south? So you guys know what I'm talking about. Now the racism down there is just fucking MWAH! It's perfect! Stewed to a perfection! It's comfortable, it's out in the open. There are no secrets in Mississippi."

The same thing could probably be said about sexism in rap. Stewed to a perfection.

#7 Agrimorfee

Agrimorfee

Too nice for his own good

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13311 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 12:47 PM

Rap isn't my favorite form of pop music, but saying Rap is sexist is like Jigga saying indie rock is Racist.

"Is everyone on here just an act sometimes?"--Hummingbird

Read all of my stupid song parodies here. Latest song improved/ruined: "No More Mr. Nice Guy" by Alice Cooper.

Download all of my alleged music free through the remainder of May at www.soundclick.com/agrimorfee

Also jabbering about music and movies at www.rateyourmusic.com

#8 TJENZ

TJENZ

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10508 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 12:58 PM

Is it even possible for any self-respecting woman to like rap music? I mean, maybe I'm just stating the obvious but hip-hop(or whatever you kids call it nowadays) is inherently sexist, right?

nice attempt at creating a controversial thread, grandma

#9 Thee AP

Thee AP

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1817 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 12:58 PM

what's wrong with sexy?

"What's wrong with being sexy?"
Posted Image
"We've got Armadillos in our trousers."

Sadly, rap does occasionally cross the fine Line Between Stupid and Clever

Someone should teach those kids to fish.

Posted Image

#10 MadroXXX

MadroXXX

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1909 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 12:59 PM

looks like i'm officially done with this board. bye, folks

#11 Rajexico

Rajexico

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1640 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 12:59 PM

lock thread

ok, fucker, thanks

He has a fair point. You're making an extremely basic thread on a topic that has been discussed exhaustively on this board on multiple occasions in the past, not to mention the vast public discourse on the subject over the past 25 years on the Internet, in the media, and elsewhere.

Unless the thread was meant as extremely low-key parody or just deejbait, you are obligated to provide a more developed first post with a new angle on the issue or some topical/timely element to it.

In the future there is only drink and birds.

lastfm

#12 spiritofeden

spiritofeden

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1727 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 01:06 PM

sexist how?

#13 Jess

Jess

Mistress of the bored

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5724 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 01:12 PM

nice attempt at creating a controversial thread, grandma

:lol:

#14 torrance

torrance

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 01:33 PM

i go to a pub quiz every week and if there is any hip hop in the music round the quizmaster goes on a big rant about how stupid girls today must be to listen to such misogynistic rubbish and how bad the attitude in 'gangster rap' is in general (its always gangster, even if its kanye for example), then he'll play something nice and polite like guns & roses and say "eeh thats more like it, in my day we knew how to treat a lady"* :lol:

*certain points may be exaggerated to emphasize the point

#15 Bob Loblaw

Bob Loblaw

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3550 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 01:42 PM

Bitches ain't shit but hos and tricks.

#16 Cinnamon P.

Cinnamon P.

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3876 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 01:49 PM

Yes, this is quite the stupid thread.
Download this EP I made. The songs are pretty close to where they should be. I colaborated with Brian Wilson and Thom Yorke and then we all fucked in my basement apartment. Thom has a really big dick suprisingly, and Brian Wilson cried the whole time, yelling "These moans are not in perfect harmonic unison". Anyway, it sounds like what you would imagine something from that situation sounds like.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/j8689o

#17 elcorazon

elcorazon

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5647 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 01:52 PM

I thought this thread said "Rape is Sexist" which I would likely have agreed with.
Sail Away: The Songs of Randy Newman -7.5/10
Dusty Springfield - Dusty in Memphis 8.5/10
Buddy & Julie Miller - Written in Chalk wow, first listen, but great great record! 9.3/10
Justin Townes Earle - Midnight at the Moviessurprisingly great, never picked up his past releases, but this one's knocking my socks off right away, 8.7/10
M. Ward - Hold Time 8.0/10
Neko Case -Middle Cyclone her best I've heard is my initial impression, but too soon to rate, haven't had a really good listen yet 7.8/10

#18 Zveldzorg

Zveldzorg

Neophyte

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 01:58 PM

nah while i agree rap is sexist, i disagree on how women could possibly like rap look at the clubs - it has beats and you can dance to it, and it has catchy hooks - "certain" people dig that, regardless of gender. also, rap can also glorify murder, crack, etc. - most people take this tongue in cheek, and don't take the concepts to heart, regardless of gender
"Past, present, future, all are one in Yog-Sothoth."

#19 TJENZ

TJENZ

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10508 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 02:16 PM

looks like i'm officially done with this board.

bye, folks

don't let the door hit ya' where the good lord split ya'

#20 Chronodiggity

Chronodiggity

THE PRINCE OF THE SOMB

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6990 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 02:29 PM

Sex is rapist
^_^