#097.

Posted Image

caley (152 Points, 3 Votes)

Noteables:

- Joined November 2006
- From British Columbia, Canada.
- 28 years old
- Named after Marillion song
- A world-class contributor to movie threads.

Oldest post on this version of board

Not my official list, just some suggestions of stuff I will be putting very, very high up that everyone should list.

-Phoenix "Consolation Prizes": Maybe not quite as good as "Long Distance Call" but it's still a terrific single. Fun bouncy sunny pop song.

-Beth Orton "Conceived": The album was just so/so but this is such a great little song. A surprising groove and sweet vocals. If the album was this song looped over 40 minutes, it would be in my top ten.

-NeYo "So Sick": I find it interesting that in the past however many years critics have done a 180 on pop music and commercial hip hop, prepared to put all kinds of stuff on the top of lists but have yet to come around to lionizing smooth ballads. NeYo sings sweetly and sadly about how he can't bear to change the message on his answering machine because his ex's voice is still on there while synthy xylophones resound and a siren screams outside. R&B never came close to this level again in 2006.

-Sean Paul "Temperature", w/ Keyshia Cole"(When You Gonna) Give It Up To Me" and w/ Rihanna "Break It Off": One of the biggest mysteries of me, personally, for 2006, is how Sean Paul, an artist I could not stand, even as a guest, got so good? "Temperature" is easily the best of his 2006 output, riding an amazing beat, but the other two are still essential listening, as well.

-Rihanna "SOS" and Christina Milian featuring Young Jeezy "Say I"[/b]: The former is the song that sunk Milian and catipulted Rihanna into the pop music elite. See, Milian was supposed to do "SOS" but passed on it, so Rihanna rode it to superstardom and Milian was dropped from her deal. "SOS" is sublime: wriggly, sexy and breathless; but "Say I" is no slouch, think a Lite-Version of "1 Thing". Both are among the best things on pop radio this year.

-Beyonce w/Jay-Z "Deja Vu", "Ring the Alarm" and "Irreplaceable": I don' t understand why Beyonce won't give us a chance to breathe. Just as "Deja Vu" was ascending the charts, "Ring the Alarm" was inexplicably released in an attempt to kick-start slowing album sales. The largely negative reaction to it, resulted in "Irreplaceable" being rushed out, as well. But, all are great singles. "Deja Vu" is Beyonce crazy in love, but with someone else; Beyonce saying "Are you ready, J?" referencing a similar exchange on their coming out party, "03 Bonnie and Clyde" is one of my favourite moments of the year. On "Ring the Alarm", the tables are turned and Beyonce is wronged and Beyonce is PISSED. "Irreplaceable" completes the circuit with Beyonce sadly saying "Goodbye". This should be all over the radio. The fact that it isn't while that uninspired Circus ballad of Xtina's speaks volumes about why I don't listen to the radio.

-My Chemical Romance "The Black Parade": Come on, admit it, you were humming it on the way to work at least once.

Most recent post.

815. Marit Larsen - If A Song Could Get Me You

Most popular thread: Music: Mogwai - The Hawk Is Howling Etc: Best Edited Movie Quotes You know, the edited for content ones?

SOMBies Say:

Owner of the best signature on the board, today. HANDS DOWN!! Hewlett's Daughter (2006)

caley's {1990's movie} list just puts me to shame. quarter of his list is outright untouched territory for me Held

I want Caley to write the blurb for {No Country For Old Men} in the SOMB poll Slackmo

Ranked Highest By: Slackmo
Nice bowl of Crunchy Nut you got here, pretty expensive as I recall.

#102 Waylon

Waylon

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4390 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 07:55 AM

Asher Ford (149 Points, 3 Votes)[/size]

I was one of these three. I'm all about the down-to-earth movie-loving brethren.

I was another, but I'm just a shameless panderer for votes.

Still waiting for Slackmo to delete this thread.

#103 James D

James D

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2299 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 08:00 AM

Caley is an extremely high quality poster.

#104 Mitchell

Mitchell

dirty old man

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20695 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 08:04 AM

Posted Image

#096.

Posted Image

SkinnyHips (157 Points, 4 Votes)

Noteables:

- 36 years old
- Went to College with Jeff Tweedy
- 1391 posts in 5 things, 580 in Compulsive Posting Topic
- Finds prosthetic legs in the road and whatever the fuck in his snack bars

1. this board now has new board smell again. very nice

2. i couldn't think of a sweet new name so i'm back with old reliable.

3. must find skippy

4. so yeah my back still fuckin hurts...blah blah blah

5. surgery is a possiblity...not a fan.

Most recent post.

no i heard he took up running a while back. didn't believe it either but i hear it's truth.

Most popular thread: Music: Wilco at Millennium park September 12th Etc: Two Girls, One Cup and the Reactions! COMPLETELY NSFW and Gross
(100k+ views)
SOMBies Say:

i hope you have a really nice birthday! Sausage

I used to get kmac and SkinnyHips mixed up before I met them. Still do. Yancy

btw, you don't usually eat your clif bar on a plate, do you? Red

Ranked Highest By: Alkaline Drown

#105 Mitchell

Mitchell

dirty old man

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20695 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 08:47 AM

Scopdom Scop

#095.

Posted Image

Sid Hartha (164 Points, 6 Votes)

Noteables:

- Likes vinyl
- Knowledgeable in technical areas of the recording process
- Owns a '78 Strat
- Doesn't like Ace or street teamers.

Posted Image

Amon Düül II - "Yeti"

from wikipedia:
Amon Düül began in 1967 as a commune of Munich-based artists who called themselves after the Egyptian Sun God Amon, and Düül, allegedly a Turkish word for "moon". Before long the commune attained cult status for its musical sessions with the happenings and demonstrations of the politicized youth.

One faction within the commune had an extremely liberal attitude to artistic freedom and took up everyone who wanted to make music whether or not they could sing or play. The other faction was more conservative in this regard. Thus things ended up with an official break between the groups, which called themselves "Amon Düül I" and "Amon Düül II". From then on they went their separate ways.

Amon Düül II

Contrary to their colleagues in Amon Düül I, Chris Karrer, Peter and Ulrich Leopold, Falk Rogner, John Weinzierl and Renate Knaup placed great value on musical talent. With their first album
Phallus Dei in 1969 they created what was considerd to be a milestone in German rock history. The title song alone was 21 minutes in length. They received offers to write music for films. Their music for the film San Domingo won them a Deutscher Filmpreis (German Film Award).

Their second album
Yeti was their breakthrough album in England. Comparisons with Pink Floyd and the Velvet Underground were common. In the following years they were constantly in the Top Five albums whether live or studio recorded.

Most recent post.

Sarah Palin clashes with press, bars reporters — CNN pulls TV crew

September 23, 2008

FROM ASSOCIATED PRESS

NEW YORK —
Republican vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin, who has not held a press conference in nearly four weeks of campaigning, on Tuesday barred most pool reporters from her meeting with Afghan President Hamid Karzai, the first foreign head of state she has ever met.

Journalists protested the campaign’s decision to exclude all but photographers and a TV crew from Palin’s sessions with foreign leaders. CNN decided to withdraw its TV crew, effectively denying Palin the high visibility she sought for her initial foray into world affairs.

Posted Image
Republican vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin, left, meets Afghan President Hamid Karzai on Tuesday.

The campaign then reversed course, saying pool reporters — a small group that provides information to all media — could attend the meetings planned after Karzai hosted Palin at his suite in The Barclay New York Hotel. .....

Most popular thread: Music: This is where we listen to mp3s of my scratchy old 45s Etc: Limbaugh Says Actor Fox Exaggerates Effects of Disease in Ads

SOMBies Say:

Sid Hartha is truely a great American boarder! Paves

Not anymore, motherfucker! If you don't like State of the Ark, you're kicked out of Swede Club. Yancy

UYI I and II was their last original studio album, idiot. Montana

Ranked Highest By: Rob Gordon (#8)

#106 Rob Gordon

Rob Gordon

sha la la, man

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8669 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 08:51 AM

Obviously too low in my book.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#107 Agrimorfee

Agrimorfee

Too nice for his own good

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13311 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 08:54 AM

Awesome heading, Mitch-- probably only me, Sid and you understand it. B) Sid Hartha is a wonderful human being.

"Is everyone on here just an act sometimes?"--Hummingbird

Read all of my stupid song parodies here. Latest song improved/ruined: "No More Mr. Nice Guy" by Alice Cooper.

Download all of my alleged music free through the remainder of May at www.soundclick.com/agrimorfee

Also jabbering about music and movies at www.rateyourmusic.com

#108 Nick

Nick

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6011 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 08:56 AM

Serious question: Does it bother you that the board will never be able to refer to you as "Trails" b/c you established yourself as "Rob Gordon"?

#109 norton

norton

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2910 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 08:56 AM

Indeed. Skinny and Sid being this low does not bode well for the rest of this thing. :unsure:

#110 Mitchell

Mitchell

dirty old man

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20695 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 09:02 AM

No-one who made the top 100 is low per se, there are nearly 2,000 active posters with >1 post on here so they are doing well.

#111 Rob Gordon

Rob Gordon

sha la la, man

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8669 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 09:03 AM

Serious question: Does it bother you that the board will never be able to refer to you as "Trails" b/c you established yourself as "Rob Gordon"?

Nah, I'm good with either. Maybe I should go back to RG? I've been giving it some thought.

#112 Agrimorfee

Agrimorfee

Too nice for his own good

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13311 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 09:23 AM

"Radiohannibal"? :D If it isn't gonna be Rob Gordon, you need an avatar different than John Cusack.

"Is everyone on here just an act sometimes?"--Hummingbird

Read all of my stupid song parodies here. Latest song improved/ruined: "No More Mr. Nice Guy" by Alice Cooper.

Download all of my alleged music free through the remainder of May at www.soundclick.com/agrimorfee

Also jabbering about music and movies at www.rateyourmusic.com

#113 Rob Gordon

Rob Gordon

sha la la, man

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8669 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 09:26 AM

"Radiohannibal"? :D
If it isn't gonna be Rob Gordon, you need an avatar different than John Cusack.

Yeah, screwed up and now it won't let me change for 90 days. Ruuuufffffuuuuussssssssssssssssss

#114 norton

norton

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2910 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 09:33 AM

"Radiohannibal"? :D
If it isn't gonna be Rob Gordon, you need an avatar different than John Cusack.

Yeah, screwed up and now it won't let me change for 90 days. Ruuuufffffuuuuussssssssssssssssss

Nah, you have to keep that one for a while at least. Some of us aren't good at tracking name changes without these little visual references.

#115 Damo Suzuki

Damo Suzuki

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3715 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 09:34 AM

What is the significance of the guy with the jewfro in RG's avatar + signature? Is it some ode to the bygone days of college radio?
"One can't love man without hating most of the creatures who pretend to bear his name."

#116 Efrim

Efrim

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3280 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 09:35 AM

Yes, that's what it is. It used to be remarked on for its resemblance to Sausage, back when he had a fro and worked college internet radio.

#117 Rob Gordon

Rob Gordon

sha la la, man

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8669 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 09:41 AM

Yes, that's what it is. It used to be remarked on for its resemblance to Sausage, back when he had a fro and worked college internet radio.

Yeah, just me in college at the radio station. No internet back then though. Ha.

#118 elcorazon

elcorazon

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5647 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 09:42 AM

What is the significance of the guy with the jewfro in RG's avatar + signature?

Is it some ode to the bygone days of college radio?

It is a photo of RG himself, I'm pretty sure.
Sail Away: The Songs of Randy Newman -7.5/10
Dusty Springfield - Dusty in Memphis 8.5/10
Buddy & Julie Miller - Written in Chalk wow, first listen, but great great record! 9.3/10
Justin Townes Earle - Midnight at the Moviessurprisingly great, never picked up his past releases, but this one's knocking my socks off right away, 8.7/10
M. Ward - Hold Time 8.0/10
Neko Case -Middle Cyclone her best I've heard is my initial impression, but too soon to rate, haven't had a really good listen yet 7.8/10

#119 Damo Suzuki

Damo Suzuki

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3715 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 09:57 AM

Makes sense now. Thank you for providing context.
"One can't love man without hating most of the creatures who pretend to bear his name."

#120 Vivian Darkbloom

Vivian Darkbloom

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4426 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 11:04 AM

This will be Wagnerian in scope
The God of language forgives all crimes. -W.H. Auden ***** Anthony B, Independent, March 16 Black Mountain, Rickshaw Stop, March 20 Earthless, Wooden Shjips, Cafe du Nord, March 28 Mastodon, Kylesa, Intronaut, Great American Music Hall, April 19 Opeth, Enslaved, Regency Grand Ballroom, May 14 Sun Kil Moon, Great American Music Hall, May 29